FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Skill or Equipment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2007 at 2:20pm
I think it's both skill and equipment..  skill can get the most out of high performance equipment.. but high level equipment will not improve skill.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
Sponsored Links

dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2007 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by le xex le xex wrote:

id say both skill and equipment are equally important because for instance its hard to hit a proper loop shot with crappy-dead rubber. And also you will develop bad technique without proper equipment. You need both to be a good player.

This sums it up perfectly. Timo boll could not beat you with a noodle, could he?
I do tend to get a little bored with folks who over emphasize skill and say equipment is not important-- if it isn't very important then why even bother getting a decent setup -- why not just go to practice each time and borrow someone else's setup?
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
wiscaltt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscaltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2007 at 9:13pm
you need both to be a good player, but which one is more important? skill... you can be decent with a bad paddle and some skill. but even with a paddle with good rubbers and all, if you have no skill, the paddle will do you no good.
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Plama 430 Max
BH: Stiga Almana Sound SynTech 2.0
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2007 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by IceDefence IceDefence wrote:

First of all you need equipment to improve yourself
Then you start thinking aoiut skills

i disagree. one shouldnt buy a schlager carbon with two bryces speed glues (or some other insanely fast combo) and then learn how to play with it.
one should play with a petr korbel with sriver el (or some other moderately fast combo) until your requirements in terms of speed are greater than your current equipment can offer you, then you upgrade.
Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra 3D

FH: Mendo MP

BH: Sriver EL
le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2007 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Pip Master Pip Master wrote:

Originally posted by IceDefence IceDefence wrote:

First of all you need equipment to improve yourself
Then you start thinking aoiut skills

i disagree. one shouldnt buy a schlager carbon with two bryces speed glues (or some other insanely fast combo) and then learn how to play with it.
one should play with a petr korbel with sriver el (or some other moderately fast combo) until your requirements in terms of speed are greater than your current equipment can offer you, then you upgrade.

"petr korbel with sriver el" qualifies as equipment just in case u didnt know...LOL
shampooboy37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shampooboy37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 1:49am
Originally posted by alfie alfie wrote:

skill for sure but if your equipment is to fast for you and you can't control it then you will have a VERY hard time to learn the skills you need,also if the equipment does not match your style you will have a hard time

how can equiment be to fast? i dont get it. you control the speed of a paddle so how can it be too for you?
your mom
le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 2:17am
shampooboy, as the speed goes up the control level goes down. Try setting your mouse speed as high as it can go, you will notice a drop in control.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shampooboy37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 2:34am
but you really dont change the speed in a paddle. unless you mean reflexes start off as slow as a motherfather then i still dont get it. and i dont know how to change the speed of my mouse. but i get what your saying.
your mom
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 8:15am
The "speed" rating on the racket actually refers to the Power of the racket, not the speed that the racket is moving. A powerful racket can be way too bouncy so you'll be putting balls off the table.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
mafia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 8:49am

Skill and equipment are both equally important.

Skill --> Player need to have solid fundamental
Equipment --> must be the one you comfortable with, you will put the blame on your equipment when you lose in a game

Wang Liqin have strong fundamental, can he perform if you ask him to use
Schlager Carbon, with Bryce 2.1 on both side and 4 layer of speed glue ?

Maze ST
FH/BH : Palio Era 42.5 Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shampooboy37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 1:42pm
ok i get what your saying. well in any case skill is more important than equipmement. no doubt
your mom
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2008 at 9:01pm
As long as your equipment doesn't prevent you from doing something to the best of your ability, then its fine. The rest is skill.
TAKOYAK1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAKOYAK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2008 at 9:20pm
skill is definately most important but without decent equipment you wouldn't be able to improve your skills
loopaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2008 at 7:53am
Finding the right set-up for yourself is like finding treasure. It's quite difficult actually. But I believe one need to adjust both ways, ie getting used to equipment as well as adjusting/changing equipment (EJ-ing a bit) to fine tune your game.

And after having gone through so many combi's and wasting so much money, I've finally come to conclude that the best combi's consists of using medium soft 5-plie all wood with powerful rubbers or rubbers with speed glue are the best.
PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2008 at 8:31pm
Well, sorry to pull you down but, the combination that suits you (medium soft 5 ply all wood with powerful rubber or rubbers with speed glue) may be best for you but not for other people Unhappy
TAKOYAK1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAKOYAK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2008 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by PingPangQiu PingPangQiu wrote:

Well, sorry to pull you down but, the combination that suits you (medium soft 5 ply all wood with powerful rubber or rubbers with speed glue) may be best for you but not for other people Unhappy
I AGREE!!Big%20smile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2008 at 10:20pm
Gear is so personal.
I seem to like combos others don't like and don't like combos others like. Whatever works for you is most important! It doesn't matter what works for others. That's my 2-cents.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
loopaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2008 at 10:14am

Yup, to each his own. LOL.

Like I said, it's just my own conclusion.
drywater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drywater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2008 at 11:06am
ALL EQUIPMENT! wow i thought only ppq comes up with stupid questions...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2008 at 5:50pm
I just wanted to stress again that proper setup is very important once you develop your skills - but you have to develop them first. It's no wonder that in the beginning coaches give juniors relatively slow ALL or ALL+ rackets with controlling rubbers to force them to develop proper technique.

Once that is done they can gradually switch to something more suitable to their style - whether they want to be defenders or attackers or blockers or whatevers. That's when some degree of EJ-ing is appropriate. But once you have a setup which is good for your style, you really should focus much more on playing, skills, mental training, physical preparation etc... EJ-ing should move to the background after that... unless that is really something that you get a lot of fun from and you don't mind that spending time on it (and trying various blades and rubbers) prevents you from becoming a better player.

I do not believe that someone can give you a magic rubber which will make you a so much better player after you have already played at least 2-3 years of TT... almost the same goes for the blades (which are generally more important, imho, in the overall setup than rubbers). Therefore if your current rubber suits you, don't waste a lot of time and energy on researching and trying all other rubbers - well, maybe once in a blue moon wouldn't hurt as long as you have a spare pair of your old trusty Srivers stashed somewhere just in case.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2008 at 9:57am

Your comments are thoughtful and wise as usual, Jim. :)

I just want to expand that EJ-ing besides taking your time and focus on training and improving it will cost you a lot of $$$ too. I now have 4 different setups, 3 of which I don't use as often any more. With that said, Jim T had sold me on the Tibhar CTE tuner so I will be trying that in the near future. :) For now though, my focus is training and improving.

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic