Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stellan Bengtsson Training Camp in Salem, Oregon -
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stellan Bengtsson Training Camp in Salem, Oregon -

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stellan Bengtsson Training Camp in Salem, Oregon -
    Posted: 11/13/2010 at 3:23am
Hi Everyone,

The Willamette Table Tennis Club in Salem, Oregon is pleased to announce our next Stellan and Angie Bengtsson training camp for March 2011.  This is a special training opportunity with one of the great coaches of the world in a small group setting.  Stellan is the 1971 World Singles Champion whose coaching credentials include Waldner, Persson, Karlsson, Lindh, Maze, and other greats.  Stellan speaks excellent English, has incredible knowledge, and is truly a gifted teacher.  Here is what Sean O'Neill (himself a former top American player and excellent coach) has to say about training with Stellan:

"Stellan is by far the best coach I have ever worked with and I have worked with a number of the best Swedish and Chinese coaches of the last 30 years... I want to stress that if you are a serious player or coach you are missing an opportunity of a lifetime if you don't take advantage of this unique opportunity...  I would guess the 5 days of intense training would be the equivalent of probably 8-10 months of weekly lessons."

Our camp provides an opportunity to learn from Stellan in a small group setting of 12 to 14 serious-minded players in an excellent playing facility.  Great lighting, top quality tables, and lots of space all help to make learning easier.  And by December we should have new professional floor mats installed for about half of our tables.  If you ever wanted to improve your game, this is your opportunity.

The camp dates are March 23 - 27, 2011, which is Wednesday through Sunday.  This corresponds to Spring Vacation in many states

The camp is limited to 14 players, so this is a very personal experience.  We will be dividing the camp into two groups.  The lower group will be for those rated 1100-1550 and the upper group will be 1550-2100.  The 14 player maximum is for both groups combined, so each group will end up about 6 to 8 players.

The fee for each camp is $500.  This provides five days of training at six hours a day (the facility is open for longer hours for those who wish extra practice).

The camps are held in Salem, Oregon, which is a beautiful place to visit at that time of year.  Our facility is a large warehouse with excellent lighting, high ceilings, and lots of space, and about half of our table on professional mats (the other half will be on concrete floors).

Registration is online through our web site.  Please register at http://www.wtabletennis.org/stellanCampMarch2011/.

At our last March camp, we filled up very quickly (by mid-December) and ended up with a waiting list of people.  If you don't want to end up on a waiting list, I recommend you register early.  If you're interested but not sure, you might want to email me just in case.

If you have questions, you can write to me directly at [email protected] or call me at 503-851-2941.  Let me add that Stellan and Angie really enjoy this camp because everyone has so much fun and learns so much.  If you love table tennis, this is a great way to spend a week.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Ben Bednarz
President, Willamette Table Tennis Club
Salem, OR
www.wtabletennis.org

P.S. Even if you can't come yourself, please spread the word.  You can forward this message or you download the PDF file from our web site at hand it out at your club.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Sponsored Links

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2011 at 12:13am
Time to let people know that their opportunity for this camp is slipping away.  Our normal limit is 14 participants, even though we really have space for 16.  We're at 14 now but Stellan has agreed to let two more players in for the upper division (1600+).  So the lower group is closed, but you're welcome to ask to be put on a waiting list (people do cancel sometimes due to emergencies).  The upper group has room for two, so grad it now while you can.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2011 at 12:54am
I highly recommend this camp to anyone even remotely interested. Stellan and Angie are both instructors of the highest caliber. They are also fun and generous people who seem to take a personal interest in the progress of their students. If I had the time and money (and a rating above 1600 Wink) I'd be there in a heartbeat. Thumbs Up

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 12:42am
Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know that we have space for only one more person and we're looking for someone 1800-2100 to fill that last slot.  If you're rated lower than that but still want to get into the camp, please email and I'll put you on a waiting list.
This is the same facility that we've been discussing in the other thread about floor mats in Salem, OR.  We have 9 tables altogether: four on the floor mats, four on concrete, and 1 with a robot.  We have lighting comparable to top level international tournaments (better than the US Open, that's for sure).  And the courts are spaceous with a high ceiling.  So you've got great coaching coming to a great facility.  Hope you can make it, either this time or next time.
If you'd like to see a short video of installing our new floor mats, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=miGDjwBl2a8

Thanks!

shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 2:05am
Whoever is going to this camp, please remember and congratulate Bengtsson for winning the world title exactly 40 years ago, in 1971.  He is such a great player, a great coach, and a great person.  Thumbs Up
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 2:10am
Agreed on all accounts.
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 11:27am
Originally posted by shaolinTT shaolinTT wrote:

Whoever is going to this camp, please remember and congratulate Bengtsson for winning the world title exactly 40 years ago, in 1971.  He is such a great player, a great coach, and a great person.  Thumbs Up

Isn't that a little bit late?

:D

Edited by bonggoy - 02/14/2011 at 11:28am
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2011 at 2:13pm
Just to let people know, we had two people who were registered for our camp withdraw with injuries.  So we've got openings in both the lower and upper groups if someone want to sign up.  Time is running out.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 1:14pm
I just know how everyone is sitting on the edge of their seats wondering if we're going to fill up these two new vacancies from injuries.  We've filled on, so now we're down to one space.  Better sign up now.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 8:09pm
We will be dividing the camp into two groups.  The lower group will be for those rated 1100-1550 and the upper group will be 1550-2100.

What about a group of people 2100-2400? Is there no love for those? :)

Sandiway
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 1:29am
I'd love to run a camp group with upper ratings, although I think you'd be looking at a bigger range such as 2000 to 2500 or 1800-2300.  Or perhaps a camp with two divisions: 1700- 2100 and 2100-2500.  So far, however, we just haven't had the demand.  The highest interested player I've had so far is 2300 and he has yet to actually attend a camp.

Now if you've got a group of friends who are 2100-2500 let me know and I'll work out something with Stellan.
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 1:44am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I'd love to run a camp group with upper ratings, although I think you'd be looking at a bigger range such as 2000 to 2500 or 1800-2300.  Or perhaps a camp with two divisions: 1700- 2100 and 2100-2500.  So far, however, we just haven't had the demand.  The highest interested player I've had so far is 2300 and he has yet to actually attend a camp.

Now if you've got a group of friends who are 2100-2500 let me know and I'll work out something with Stellan.

That would be really cool if you could do something like that. I would definitely consider going.
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 2:11am
If you're in that upper rating group then you likely have friends who are rated similarly.  Talk to them and see how many are interested.  Then let me know what you hear and we'll see what we can do.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 2:15am
Well, the problem for many players who are 2100 rated or higher is that they live in cities where there are few other players at that level to practice with. For example, in Tucson AZ, I have problems finding higher players than myself to practice with.

So a big draw for a training camp for say 2100-2400 would be getting together with others players of this level for an intensive few days. I'd love to do that.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 3:03am
Agreed.  However, the problem I've found so far is that in this country, most players over 2100 are not particularly interested in additional training.  If you're over 2100 in most American cities, then you're already among the very best and there's not much motivation to get better.  Portland is an hour away, but we've had very limited success drawing 1900+ players for the same reason -- if you're 1900+, then you're already among the elite in that city and don't have much motivation.

Players who are 1200 or 1600 generally recognize they have a lot to learn and are willing to travel long distances for good coaching.  That's why it's fairly easy for us to fill camps at those levels.  The irony is, of course, that 2100 isn't all that strong.  In China, there are far more 2300+ players than there are 2100+ players in the USA and even their 2300+ players take coaching seriously.

So the question is: how do we find enough 2100+ players to fill a camp or at least half a camp?
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 12:04pm
How many people constitute a camp?
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 1:20pm
The target for the total camp is 14 people, although actual camp numbers have run from 12-16.  However, we generally split the camp into upper and lower groups.  So, for example, the lower group could have 8 and the upper group could have 6.  To promote a camp with a 2100+ group we would need probably four people committed and then hope to pick up 2 to 4 more.  Of course, it becomes easier if we lower the rating threshold to 2000.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 12:43pm
As a 2100 rated player, I can say I'm much more interested in getting coaching than when I was 1600.

Ideally, It would be nice to be able to have  a format with a 1-on-1 1 hour lesson with Stellan and then practice with a few people in that 2100-2400 range. Each of us would do the same thing: take a  1 hour lesson and then return to the practice tables. But I guess I am dreaming... :(
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 3:13am
I find in interesting that your ideal training session includes those rated 2100-2300, when you're rated 2100 yourself.  People always want to practice with higher rated players.  Presumably, practicing in a group rated 1800-2100 would be far less appealing.  I often get requests from people who should go into the top part of the lower division about whether they can just "slip" into the upper group.

In practice, I think I would aim for either 1800-2200 or 1900-2300, which would have the best chance of collecting a good group of players.  At 2100, I think you are always likely to get more people below you than above you in a given practice group.  But if we could really get enough people to do 2100-2400 (or 2500!), I would certainly arrange that camp.

Your dream session isn't that far from the reality.  During normal camp time, the coach does some discussion, then sets up the drills (with rotating partners every couple of hours), and then walk around to work with individuals during the sessions.  However, they also often take aside two people to work with them in pairs (typical multiball, alternating every five minutes).  Or, if we have aan odd number of players, one player at a time.  So you do get a certain amount of individual instruction.  And even the drills are selected on the basis of feedback for the individual needs of the players.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I find in interesting that your ideal training session includes those rated 2100-2300, when you're rated 2100 yourself.  People always want to practice with higher rated players.  Presumably, practicing in a group rated 1800-2100 would be far less appealing. 

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. Are you implying I am selfish? 

I practice drills with players rated 19-something (possibly playing a bit higher) a few times a week at my house already. I have excellent facilities. And the practice already helps those who come to my house, otherwise they'd stop coming. It helps me too but less than them. 

Hence, I would like the experience (that I used to have when I lived in New Jersey) to practice against players who are higher than me. I don't mind paying for the privilege. So it wouldn't make much sense for me to spend money on hotels and fly somewhere unless I'm able to experience what I am missing.

With respect to lessons, sometimes I drive 7 hours to LATTA and get a lesson from a 2400 coach. But I'm pretty tired. And once or twice a year, I go to China and practice for 5 days against a variety of excellent level practice partners. But obviously I can't do that very often. 

Hence, I'd like to participate in an intensive training camp with people who are playing my level (or better).  I already willingly drill with people who are rated a bit below me several times a week. (Some of them are rated as far down as 1600.) I want someone to do the same for me.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 4:20pm
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.  It's just one of the challenges that everyone wants to be in groups where all the others are higher.  It's like every parent wants their kids to be above average (how can you have all kids above average?).  I would be happy to host *any* rating range, provided we can get the people to fill the camp.  And I think Stelland would be willing to do it.  So we just need six or more people of whatever ratings range you like.  The difficulty is finding those six.
AlexB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 1:55pm
Do you have plans to have camps in summer time? I have 13 years old boy playing in 1100-1500 group. Do you provide lodging and supervising for kids?
Alex
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by AlexB AlexB wrote:

Do you have plans to have camps in summer time? I have 13 years old boy playing in 1100-1500 group. Do you provide lodging and supervising for kids?
We will most likely have a camp in late August, just before the start of the school year.  We do not provide lodging and we do not supervise kids, except to the extent that during the camp hours they're busy.  For younger kids, we require a parent to be present.  We've had 15+ kids handle themselves.  I'm less sure about at 13 year old -- probably best to have some sort of parental presence.  Maybe not all day, but during lunch hour and after end of day.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 2:41pm
I need to move there.

1st reason = the venue: http://www.wtabletennis.org/venue.asp 

then,

Premium Pass.
Provides free play for any time of the day (you get your own key).
Good for a calendar year, from January 1 through December 31.
Cost:
Adults $300

MAN THIS IS A GOOD DEAL FOR SUCH A TOP FACILITY!!!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I need to move there.

then,

Premium Pass.
Cost:
Adults $300

The venue is even better now. Half the place is covered in that red mat they use at big TT pro events. Big smile

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 3:23pm

I need to move there.

So, how come you haven't come to any of our camps?  I know you'd love to work with Stellan.  Come now and I'll get you into the March camp.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

The venue is even better now. Half the place is covered in that red mat they use at big TT pro events. Big smile

And speaking of missing friends, when are you coming back?

You know, we're doing an Open House this Saturday (11 - 6) and a small "for fun tournament."  Actually, it's got two sections: Open ($15) and Recreational ($5) and if you enter the Open section, you can sponsor a friend into the Rec section for free.  A great way to get your beginner-friends to come out. Tournament starts at 1:30.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 3:29pm
third reason: I'd be closer to Bro Anton.

-------------------------------
The  all  MyTT  Elmo  loves  you.

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 3:36pm

I need to move there.

then,

Premium Pass.
Cost:
Adults $300

Ben,

That is an awesome club!  Hopefully I will get to visit it when I go to Eugene this summer...  Smile

Best,

William
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I need to move there.

then,

Premium Pass.
Cost:
Adults $300

Ben,

That is an awesome club!  Hopefully I will get to visit it when I go to Eugene this summer...  Smile

Best,

William

I know you've got people out here, but if you want to play some games this summer let me know when you head out this way. I can get some people together... perhaps not all at your level, but ranging from 1600 to 2000.

And Ben's club is an awesome place. It's only about an hour's drive from Eugene. I hope to spend more time out there this summer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic