Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

suggestions for intro long pips setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bluehorseshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: suggestions for intro long pips setup
    Posted: 07/01/2013 at 12:20pm
Could anyone with experience with long pips offer a suggestion for a blade and LP rubber for someone that has never used long pips.  Ideally, would like to still use the blade to loop and hit from the other side (my last two blades that I used regularly were Gergely and Zetro Quad).  Not really planning on anything serious with it, but just to practice and understand it better, so it doesn't have to be the best, but something reasonable. 

Was considering maybe buying a TBS clone or a Galaxy T-9 (carbon only on one side), but really don't know where to start looking, especially with the rubber.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links

silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2013 at 12:56pm
umm maybe consider short pips. long pips is often used to chop not so much for hitting.
RSM Special Platinum T64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2013 at 1:04pm
I meant I wanted to be able to loop or hit from the non LP side.  Sorry for the confusion.
nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2013 at 3:33pm
Depends on a style you play. If you're a blocker you need a stiff blade for a maximum reversal. Many people use balsa blades that are medium to fast in speed like Donic Cayman or Dr. N. Firewall+. I know ttnpp.com used to have Cayman for $26. As for an LP rubber, in the beginning you'll need something relatively slow with high degree of control. Friendship 837 with no sponge (OX) comes to mind. There are a lot of discusssions on LPs on www.oneofakindtrading.com.au
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2013 at 3:38pm
something like 729 755 .6 would be a great allround long pips for you
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2013 at 4:53pm
My starter paddle
729 Bomb  I wish this came in a straight handle
Red Diamond
Black Pogo 0X  Pogo 0X is slower and easier to control than 755 0X.
Cheap but the bang for the buck is extremely high. Buy at zeropong for less than $50.

My current blocking paddle is a
Firewall+  Only get a straight handle so twiddling is easy.
T25 2.1mm black
Giant Dragon Talon 0X Red.
Learn to twiddle and block and hit with the T25 on the BH.
You can catch even experienced players off guard when you block a fast loop back with the T25.  Instead of getting a slow back spin return the ball rockets back at them with top spin even when blocking.
You can chop close to the table but the Talon 0X doesn't have the grip to change the spin much.

Learn to block off the bounce.  It will take many months before the LPs will win you more points than you lose.

Both the blades I suggested are stiff but are soft because of the cork and balsa wood they are made of.

A TBS would not be a good LP paddle.

Edited by tt4me - 07/01/2013 at 4:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2013 at 10:07pm
Thanks everyone!
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2013 at 11:48pm
755 ox is fine for blocking and hitting, and it will get the job done.
Giant Dragon Talon ox is good (highly recommend) if you do not mind pay a little more.
I am currently using Bomb Talent ox, and it is good as well.
Do you check out the Sword Dual Property Monster King blade?

Edited by Egghead - 07/01/2013 at 11:52pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2013 at 10:01am
The TBS will work better if you plan on playing an aggressive attack style of play with the long pips, something more like a Giant Dragon Kris II with Crop Circles (ox) might make for a more forgiving but still allaround setup, while still allowing you to be aggressive.  Crop Circles might be an easier transition from an inverted backhand than 837.  It has more grip, and the racket angles would be easier to adjust to. 

If instead you want a more blocking oriented game then Pogo (OX) is a good place to start.  Pogo is ok at everything, but does nothing great.  If you plan on chopping, then you'll need a different long pips.  It all depends on where you want to start.

Edited by 1dennistt - 07/02/2013 at 10:04am
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2013 at 11:27am
Here are some low-priced LP rubbers that you can try:  Double Fish 1615, Dawei 388D-1, and CK531a.  I tried them all, but don't know which one is better.

There are higher priced LP rubbers on the market. 
skip3119
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2013 at 11:48am
Dawei 388D-1

really cheap and perfect for trying lp out.

Edited by crackfst - 07/02/2013 at 11:51am
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic