Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Table Top Paint Refinish
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Table Top Paint Refinish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Top Paint Refinish
    Posted: 03/31/2020 at 3:01pm
Anyone have success with refinishing a table top? 

Posses a Donic Persson 25.
Nice 1" top, purchased used from a club, so I inherited the years of scratches and paint wear with it. 
Using material in links below, I can start with the $130 investment. I own a sprayer. I am competent with the trade work involved. 

and 

Seeking more specific tips and/or advice from anyone who has succeeded in refinishing their own. What was your level of quality obtained? Close to factory finish? Pictures are nice. 

Any other TT specific sources for paint?

Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2020 at 4:28pm
I've never known anyone to paint a table with anything that felt right at all.

My advice is deal with the surface it has as long as you can
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
qpskfec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2020 at 11:14pm
A place I occasionally play was donated a few old bty tables that were probably 20-30 years old.

The tables show all the signs of old tables that were rarely cleaned. Rub your hand on the table and it's like sandpaper. They play really slow because the friction is way too high.

If I was to try to get them playing better, I would give the tables a really good cleaning first. Next I would sand with really fine sandpaper, then maybe follow up with an electric buffer attachment used to buff car finishes.

My goal would be to get the friction level back down close to the ittf spec. If this works, I would stop here and just make sure to keep the table clean.

The factory finishes are multi layer coatings that are heat/uv light cured, so can never be replicated by someone in their garage.
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 8:12am
Ya it bounces just fine. Looking for success stories. Seems resounding, NO!
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 2:11pm
IMHO that table looks pretty good. Clean it real well and maybe there is a way to polish it. But I wouldn't repaint it, that's for sure
VKMO | V>15 Extra | Curl P4 1.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic