Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tacky Soft Rubber on BH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tacky Soft Rubber on BH
    Posted: 11/29/2022 at 3:00pm
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new rubber for my BH. Coming from short pimples, I'm still developing my BH technique so I'm looking for something not too crazy. Equally, it should be fairly easy to use and still sufficiently fast with a shorter BH stroke.

What I want to be playing on BH is controlled offensive spinny game, including flicking serves and opening backspin.

This would need to be a tacky rubber because I've found that if my BH rubber is not spinny (like when I was using short pimples), my index finger keeps slipping and my overall grip for both FH and BH lacks in stability and security (if you have any other solutions to this please shout).

I've tried Dignics 09c, and it's ok but the throw is a bit too high and the dwell time sometimes a bit too low.
Dignics 05 is good when it comes to softness and throw but it's not tacky so my index finger keeps slipping.

I'm thinking about Rakza Z or Hurricane 3 Neo 37° but open to other ideas.

Many thanks in advance for all your tips and advice!

Edited by Rollko - 11/29/2022 at 3:05pm
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2022 at 5:58pm
09c having low dwell time? That's kinda weird because it has one of the longest dwell times out of all rubbers. 

You can try Hurricane 8-80 - I think it's a very solid rubber at a cheap price - I'm actually using it on the FH at the moment unboosted.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2022 at 7:24pm
I definitely do not recommend Hurricane 3 Neo in 37°. 
It´s irritatingly slow unboosted, actually I think even in 39° it´s still slow.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2022 at 8:56pm
Respectfully,

Gotta work on technique man. If you’re coming from SP maybe a thinner sponge to help get the feel, as dignics 05 and 09c are one of the best on the bh. 

Gotta be able to make spin yourself and not rely on the rubbers. When it comes to rubbers for the backhand IMO my personally breakdown is Passive spin vs intentional.

09c gives me more spin when brushing while 05 gives me more spin engaging the sponge. Either one they’re both great but depends on your blade. 

Give Rakza 7 or Rakza 7 soft at 2.0 
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2022 at 12:26am
So I suspect that part of the problem could be the blade - I'm using Donic Waldner Dotec Carbon which is a rather stiff balsa-carbon blade so perhaps not ideal for looping (I chose it due to the handle because I was having grip problems with conventional hansles). It seems like softer rubbers go better with this kind of blade compared to hard rubbers, as hard rubbers I believe better suit a flexible blade that can provide an extra kick (as you don't get the kick from the blade). Maybe that's why I found the dwell time of D09c too low - because of the underlying balsa having low dwell time to begin with? This seems to be better with softer sponges. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2022 at 11:45am
Soft + Tacky = usually not a good combination.  Too much spin sensitivity, at least for me.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2022 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Soft + Tacky = usually not a good combination.  Too much spin sensitivity, at least for me.

He considers Dignics 05 as soft so he doesn't seem to actually mean soft
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2022 at 12:38pm
ahhh there you go.

I never enjoyed Balsa blades. Not enough dwell. I considered them hitting or blocking blades.

Although there are some that enjoy them with tacky rubbers by BRUSH LOOPING — they eventually plateau as the new ball isn’t really as fun to spin 
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2022 at 4:02pm
Hurricane 8-80

The 09c sponge is ok softness but the top sheet is pretty hard imo
Victas v15 or v22 extra is very playable but not tacky
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2022 at 4:25pm
Actually soft tacky rubbers for BH would be something like Hurricane 3-50 35deg, Skyline 3-60 35deg, Donic Bluegrip S1 and S2, particularly the S2.

If you need the tackiness for over the table pushes but you'd want something in between T05 and D80 I guess MX-S is a pretty good choice. It has one hell of a sharp push...

Edited by Zwill - 12/09/2022 at 4:27pm
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
guni4you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guni4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2022 at 1:38pm
I am using bluegrip S2 on backhand now. It is a slightly tacky rubber with a acuda S2 ( 42.5 DEGREE ) sponge. Very good control, very easy to do short push and blocks are very easy to perform. Not very fast but very forgiving rubber. As it is forgiving you get more confidence and play faster and better.
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2022 at 2:54pm
Hello :)
There is similar (not exactly the same) question from my side:
Thinking on changing the BH rubber.
Currently playing/training with har3 (not neo) 39degrees on my BH and want to switch for something softer and faster but with tacky surface. 
Tried to boost it but the boost did not help much (became just bit faster and just bit more rotative) with that and even what changed lasted for not so long.
Need tacky grip because of wetness in our club-  it becomes very wet in around 1 hour and the ball slippers - so need some advice in hybrid or other non slippery rubber in wet club.
Have in mind following choices (I did not try them, need your advice):
Donic BlueGrip C2
Yasaka Rakza Z
Xiom Omega VII China Guang
and 
Xiom Vega Pro -- (this one I tried) as far as I remember its surface was not slippery in wet club - but I can be wrong here -if somebody has it please share your thoughts - I do not have it right now.

Do not consider 09c as it's too expensive.

Please share your thoughts.

Edited by Valiantsin - 12/15/2022 at 2:59pm
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2022 at 3:31pm
I see you like harder rubbers. You should consider Rasanter C48, C53 and potentially Tibhar K3.
Probably the K3 is your best bet and it is not as heavy as Bluegrip C2 or Rakza Z or Omega China.
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2022 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

Hello :)
There is similar (not exactly the same) question from my side:
Thinking on changing the BH rubber.
Currently playing/training with har3 (not neo) 39degrees on my BH and want to switch for something softer and faster but with tacky surface. 
Tried to boost it but the boost did not help much (became just bit faster and just bit more rotative) with that and even what changed lasted for not so long.
Need tacky grip because of wetness in our club-  it becomes very wet in around 1 hour and the ball slippers - so need some advice in hybrid or other non slippery rubber in wet club.
Have in mind following choices (I did not try them, need your advice):
Donic BlueGrip C2
Yasaka Rakza Z
Xiom Omega VII China Guang
and 
Xiom Vega Pro -- (this one I tried) as far as I remember its surface was not slippery in wet club - but I can be wrong here -if somebody has it please share your thoughts - I do not have it right now.

Do not consider 09c as it's too expensive.

Please share your thoughts.

Dude you should try Hurricane 8-80. Imo it plays almost like D09c except with 1/3 the price tag...
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2022 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Zwill Zwill wrote:

I see you like harder rubbers. You should consider Rasanter C48, C53 and potentially Tibhar K3.
Probably the K3 is your best bet and it is not as heavy as Bluegrip C2 or Rakza Z or Omega China.
Thank you!

How would you compare C2 and K3 in terms of spin and speed?
And again - what do you think on Vega Pro (in terms of slippery)?

Edited by Valiantsin - 12/15/2022 at 4:44pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2022 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Dude you should try Hurricane 8-80. Imo it plays almost like D09c except with 1/3 the price tag...
Thank you!
How would you compare it with C2 and K3 (in terms of speed and spin)?
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2022 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

Thank you!
How would you compare it with C2 and K3 (in terms of speed and spin)?

I never played with these before (I used to be a 09c guy). K3 is horrible durability from what I heard which is why I didn't go for it last time. Imo 09c is probably top tier spin and power, and Hurricane 8-80 almost matches that (I would say 09c is still better, my loops dip more with 09c, but 8-80 has other advantages especially in the serve and short game vs 09c). 

If you're coming from Hurricane rubbers this will be a much easier transition compared to the other ESN rubbers.

Edited by blahness - 12/15/2022 at 5:01pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2022 at 5:44pm

I never played with these before (I used to be a 09c guy). K3 is horrible durability from what I heard which is why I didn't go for it last time. Imo 09c is probably top tier spin and power, and Hurricane 8-80 almost matches that (I would say 09c is still better, my loops dip more with 09c, but 8-80 has other advantages especially in the serve and short game vs 09c). 

If you're coming from Hurricane rubbers this will be a much easier transition compared to the other ESN rubbers.
Got it - thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic