Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tactics against fishers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactics against fishers?
    Posted: 02/01/2012 at 9:28pm
As my game has developed and started to take on more definitive strengths and weaknesses and a more clear overall strategy, I have found that I have the most trouble with players who primarily fish. I'd label myself a close to the table attacker and more of a cannon than a machine gun.

I find that fishing players tend to put the ball half long around the middle then take two steps back almost automatically. If I try to keep it short, the ball has come out deep enough that my return gives them adequate time to step back in and if I try to kill it they are far enough back that they have time to start fishing. Since the return is around the middle, it's pretty high risk to try and place the ball beyond the corner (at least with any sort of decent spin and speed at my level). If it is inside of the corner the angle makes it easy to get to. I find myself being forced into playing their game, they fish from mid distance and I take all the risk looping and expending energy, and not having a clear counter-fishing strategy in my head.

So, close to the table players, what are your tactics to counter fishing efficiently?
Sponsored Links

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 9:42pm

Have you tried placing ball the in opposite corners with a flick or a push to make your mid-distance opponent run side to side.   Then look for a bad return to attack with your "cannon".

People who put the ball half-long are hoping you make a bad return for them to attack.  Since half-long balls are difficult to attack.  That's the basic of the 3-hit strategy.

If they are taking 2 steps back, they are mid distance player that like to loop or chop.  So they are hoping for you to loop or smash so they can counter loop or counter hit. 

I would either draw them in and make them play at the distance they are not comfortable with, or power loop it to drive them further away from the table.

DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 10:08pm
take a step back and smash to the corners or try and get it off the bounce to the corners. You can always go short if you notice they take steps back immediately. 
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Have you tried placing ball the in opposite corners with a flick or a push to make your mid-distance opponent run side to side.   Then look for a bad return to attack with your "cannon".

People who put the ball half-long are hoping you make a bad return for them to attack.  Since half-long balls are difficult to attack.  That's the basic of the 3-hit strategy.

If they are taking 2 steps back, they are mid distance player that like to loop or chop.  So they are hoping for you to loop or smash so they can counter loop or counter hit. 

I would either draw them in and make them play at the distance they are not comfortable with, or power loop it to drive them further away from the table.

When I said "cannon" I wasn't implying my stroke is a cannon. It has more to do with style. Some players put the ball away well but don't rally as well (a cannon). Ma Lin is a classic example. Others are good in the rally but don't really have put away power and win by keeping the ball coming back over and over (a machine gun). Vladimir Samsonov comes to mind.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 10:16pm
Drop it short like Waldner!Wink
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 12:07am
Google is your friend,  good article by Larry Hodges on strategies against fishers:
    http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/385

Edited by sunilid - 02/02/2012 at 12:08am
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:28am

If you're just hitting topspins that he is able to return at mid distance, then you are just playing his game.  You have to make him play your game.  Figure out a way to force him to pop up the ball so you can finish the point in 3-5 ball exchanges...that's what Ma Lin would do...Wink

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 3:18am
Against players who step back too quickly, a slow spiny loop that is short of the end of the table can be very effective.  The ball can land in the middle of the table (or even near the net if you have the skill) and then it falls very quickly.  For someone who has moved back two steps too quickly, they'll find the ball falling at their feet. If they're fast, they can run back into the table and return it, but probably not strongly. At that point they're next to the table and you can hit your power loop.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 3:20am
Vary the spin, go for heavy topspin, less pace, this makes it difficult for him to judge the length.
The Older I get, The better I was.
shakepender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 7:42am
I play close to the table and find it particularly difficult when fishers put sidespin on it as well...
Viscaria : Omg IV Pro / Omg IV Euro

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 8:38am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

As my game has developed and started to take on more definitive strengths and weaknesses and a more clear overall strategy, I have found that I have the most trouble with players who primarily fish. I'd label myself a close to the table attacker and more of a cannon than a machine gun. I find that fishing players tend to put the ball half long around the middle then take two steps back almost automatically. If I try to keep it short, the ball has come out deep enough that my return gives them adequate time to step back in and if I try to kill it they are far enough back that they have time to start fishing. Since the return is around the middle, it's pretty high risk to try and place the ball beyond the corner (at least with any sort of decent spin and speed at my level). If it is inside of the corner the angle makes it easy to get to. I find myself being forced into playing their game, they fish from mid distance and I take all the risk looping and expending energy, and not having a clear counter-fishing strategy in my head.So, close to the table players, what are your tactics to counter fishing efficiently?

Hi monkey
2 things that may help:-

1. Be patient and learn to bide your time
2. Kill to the body/elbow in preference to aiming at the wings. Its the most common mistake against defence top or chop to aim to hit to the wings in an attempt to go beyond defenders reach. In fact this just gives them room to stroke. Instead go to jam them with the body shot, you'll notice the difference straight away.   
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 9:51am
Originally posted by shakepender shakepender wrote:

I play close to the table and find it particularly difficult when fishers put sidespin on it as well...

UGH this! I lost to a fisher who played these high fishes with heavy topspin and sometimes mixed with sidespin. Through my game off entirely! It wasn't the spin on my rubber that I had trouble with but the height of the ball and the way the ball moved when it hit my side of the table that completely messed with my timing. I had never played someone like this before and it was very frustrating.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 9:54am
If they want you to play their game, then play their game!  In a fishing/smashing rally, the smasher is at an advantage, so you WANT to play their game.  If energy is a problem, then you should condition better.  If you have good touch, then you can develop a good dropshot game too to make them expend a ton of energy as well.

Note that defensive players can always force you to play their game(just look at Joo), you just have to overpower them EVENTUALLY, don't try to overpower them from the get go.  Take your time, like APW said, vary you spin and such so they have difficulty judging the length(you don't even have to do this if the opponent isn't very good).  Wait till they either miss or lob one back that's close to the net and then smash the crap out of it.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 10:44am
Bottom line is, like with any style, you have to play against it to get good against it.  I happen to practice against a couple of these guys so I can play it well for my rating.

Seek out guys who play like this to practice against if at all possible.  I find it good to just block the ball dead once in a while.  Drop shots are unnecessarilly risky.  Just a nice dead placement that doesn't let them return to the table but doesn't let them sit back either can be very effective.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 10:48am
I don't have an occasion to play against them all that often, but my vote goes to attacking the ball off the bounce; should be quite easy cos there is a plenty of time for preparing a stroke, though probably needs some training because timing is quite different from normal rallying stroke. 
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 10:55am
im surprised no one has asked about skill level. Any lobber under 1800 probably can't attack. You can just play defensively and force them to attempt to attack, in which case they will probably miss. 
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:46pm
The fishers I play in my local clubs are rated 1500-1700 and are very mobile, i.e. they can usually reach slams directed to the corners. My most effective weapon against them has been to slam with more sidespin than topspin which causes the ball to curve into their bodies (I'm a righty). This works somewhat against 2000+ rated players, too, but it's rare that I can force such players off the table.
BBC, SP, LP
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 2:09pm
A lot of good advices already, such as;

Variation. Don't always attack with full force, make some attacks loaded with spin, others all out for speed.

Attack the body, especially when you get the chance to smash with good speed.

Drop shots to force them to move back and forth.

Take the ball as early as possible, as this steals a lot of time for them.

Work the angles. I know, this sounds like a contradiction to attacking their body, but you can do both (not at the same time, obviously) with good success. Aim all your attacks to one side and try to build on that angle as much as possible, then go for the quick winner in the other corner.
The holy grail
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 2:17pm
One of my sparring partners is a fisher and sometimes chopper.
Another at the club plays racquet ball and is able to hit balls when low.

I must be patient and wait for the right kill shot.  This is where I fail most often.
I can't go too easy because he can slam from way back.   Sometimes these take me by surprise.
I can win a lot of points by hitting back a moderate speed to the edges.   I dare not give him an easy FH shot because he will slam it.

I hit the balls at extreme angles off the edge of the table.
I often hit the first loop very slow and spinny cross court at as sharp as I can off the side of the table. These balls tend to dive off the bounce and the fisher must hit them up so I then have time to move to hit to by FH side with either my BH or FH. 
I sometimes dink and then hit hard and spinny while the fisher is close to the table.   Often the dink goes so low the fisher can't hit the ball up over his near edge of the table and if he does then I have an easy shot.
I played a fisher at the club and I was having a difficult time with him until I started side spinning with fade slams.  The fisher said I destroyed his defense.

I often am hitting balls with my FH from my BH side of the table.  I know this leaves a lot of the table on my FH side unguarded but usually the opponent is off to the side of the table too.  If the fisher does hit the ball to my FH and I can reach it I then hit the ball cross court from to my opponent's extreme FH and rarely doesn't he make it.  The guys have got to be able to make good returns on a dead run.

BTW, we have a dent in the wall where the fisher tried running to his FH side to get a ball and couldn't stop.

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 2:46pm
One tactic that I am trying is to hit to one wide backhand side or forehand side  until you can really get good penetration on a shot, then switch directions wide. 

Edited by kenneyy88 - 02/02/2012 at 2:46pm
wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Variation. Don't always attack with full force, make some attacks loaded with spin, others all out for speed.

Attack the body, especially when you get the chance to smash with good speed.

Drop shots to force them to move back and forth.

Take the ball as early as possible, as this steals a lot of time for them.

Work the angles. I know, this sounds like a contradiction to attacking their body, but you can do both (not at the same time, obviously) with good success. Aim all your attacks to one side and try to build on that angle as much as possible, then go for the quick winner in the other corner.

+100
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 1:06am
I do a lot of the same stuff Speedplay advocates here. I try to move thme side to side by creating angles. For example, I would make a FH hookshot to the wide FH breaking away from them. They retrieve it, but then I smash to the wide BH, which is very difficult for them to get back. That sequence is usually a winner, or leads to one the next shot. If I am not able to create the angles, I tap the ball, whether or not I can keep it short, it moves my opponent in and his shot is difficult to land deep, which gives me the chance to create angles again. Sometimes, I just load the daylights of the ball with topspin, sometimes I use pure speed. The better retrievers and fishers will get the ball back time after time, but if you are consistant and use your head, you can win many points vs this style. Another thing to consider is to NOT crowd the table. if the fisher manages to land it very deep, you will have a very difficult time syncing the timing of your shot. It is better to stand 1/2 step back and move in if needed.  
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 12:54am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

... Another thing to consider is to NOT crowd the table. if the fisher manages to land it very deep, you will have a very difficult time syncing the timing of your shot. It is better to stand 1/2 step back and move in if needed.  

Absolutely agree with this, have learned this the hard way several times against good fishers.
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 7:04am
Wyatt, you killing the fishers with Ur calix? I broke my calix back out tomight at teh club vs our weekend defensive player Mr. Kim, who prefers to fish every attack back high and deep with sidepsin swipe stroke. That is extra trouble as yuo have to judge the break to the side as well as the depth. The sidespin gies the ball extra time to land. He is very consistant, plus, he will attack if you give him a loose ball. Calix with T05/XP 2008 worked just fine, especially hte 2008 on BH receiveing his serve, got a lot of balls blocked back long on flicks and loops opening vs the serve. How is Ur Calix faring? It sure can be tricky to time the smash agianst a ball going deep that deceptively curves away from you.  
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 9:46am
BH-Man,

something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUqDfeqOKs

@Mods, why isn't my links working??? I know, I suck at computers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUqDfeqOKs
The holy grail
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 11:38am
Speedplay,  find the video and click on share.  A link will show that looks similar to this

http://youtu.be/pvagkUTeULg
These abbreviated links are shorter.  There are no spaces so the links are less error prone when doing cut and paste.

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 12:55pm
http://youtu.be/jEUqDfeqOKs

Still don't work, it says the page does not exists, but when I cut and paste the link, it works.
The holy grail
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 12:57pm

Video

Finally, a working link!

I have no idea how I did it, but it seems to be working
The holy grail
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 1:12pm
if you can't constantly attack medium high balls, that is something you really need to work on, unless you like being lobbed to death. forget strategy, if you can't attack well, you can't do anything. close to table players tend to spaz out when balls go up. wait for it, and focus getting in on the table. as you get more comfortable, add the tnt. 
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Video

Finally, a working link!

This is a classic case of not keeping eyes on the ball.
One of my sparring partners does that to me all the time.  These use to drive me nuts and I still get caught every once in a while but now it is a losing shot.  Notice that the lobber hit the ball very low. I bet the looper couldn't even see the ball contact the lobber's paddle.  The lobber also did a good job of getting back into position.  In this case it wouldn't be worth taking a risk to hit the ball off the bounce just to shorten the reaction time.

What would be interesting is to see if this trick worked twice in the same match.  The looper looks like he is good enough to react.  The looper just got too cocky and got burned.

I am sending this link to my fishing/lobbing sparring partner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic