Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The modern Chinese looping technique?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2012 at 2:49pm

Rich,

If you have the means to do so, and the time, please record yourself performing both versions, and share the video with us.
Sponsored Links

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Rich,

If you have the means to do so, and the time, please record yourself performing both versions, and share the video with us.

Hopefully, I will be able to begin recording soon. I need to study my technique. 

Technically, it is no different than what Walter Henzell is doing in his backhand tutorial video. Very relaxed, forearm movement along with the wrist breaking. However, it is not as pronounced because of the differences in forehand and backhand. 

Edited by richrf - 02/10/2012 at 3:21pm
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Rich,

Hopefully, I will be able to begin recording soon. I need to study my technique. 

Technically, it is no different than what Walter Henzell is doing in his backhand tutorial video. Very relaxed, forearm movement along with the wrist breaking. However, it is not as pronounced because of the differences in forehand and backhand. 

Well, he doesn't close his racket within the few milli seconds when the ball's on it. More like the whole stroke is closing the racket. I guess that's what some people here are arguing about...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2012 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Well, he doesn't close his racket within the few milli seconds when the ball's on it. More like the whole stroke is closing the racket. I guess that's what some people here are arguing about...

Hi,

Yes, I would agree. However, I do not understand the precise nature of the Chinese technique to really understand the entire issue. 

Edited by richrf - 02/10/2012 at 3:42pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 2:15am
This is an interesting little tidbit that I found on another thread in this forum:

"@BH - this is a really enormous question to answer! But in general the counterspin will be difficult if the wrist and grip are not relaxed enough to be able to rotate over the top of the ball on contact. I think backhand dominated players (I would be one of these) who play with backhand favoured grips can struggle a bit with this in high speed rallies. The wrist is not as mobile for FH counterspins when in the backhand grip position."

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 2:24pm
I think one of the things I'm getting use to with the Chinese technique is the follow through ending above the eyes.  It's hard to explain compared to my old stroke of following through above the opposite shoulder.  Less of a drive more of a brush stroke.  The ball arc is more pronounce with this higher angle stroke.

A lot of emphasis of bouncing on contact with the ball.  Very tiring training multiball with this stroke.  Like jump roping but in squat position and heavy exhale on contact.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

I think one of the things I'm getting use to with the Chinese technique is the follow through ending above the eyes.  It's hard to explain compared to my old stroke of following through above the opposite shoulder.  Less of a drive more of a brush stroke.  The ball arc is more pronounce with this higher angle stroke.

A lot of emphasis of bouncing on contact with the ball.  Very tiring training multiball with this stroke.  Like jump roping but in squat position and heavy exhale on contact.

Thanks for the added insights. Yes, I  remember one of my coaches telling me to exhale forcefully on impact. 

When you say bouncing, do you mean bouncing the body from one side to another? 

I can imagine how tiring it is. The Chinese players are all athletes in the finest of physical condition. They need to be! Smile
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2012 at 12:15am
Some of the multi-ball drills require side to side movement.
But even drills where you don't move you are required to bounce while waiting for the next ball.

When you impact the ball you should be moving up.  Toes don't need to leave the ground.  More about knees flexing up and down slightly.

Weight doesn't need to shift from foot to foot during the stroke.  Focus should be on twisting the torso.

The arm part is the major difference from my old stroke.  Which is too lateral for him (usually start the stroke at my waist/or lower and ends with the paddle around my mouth and nose height).  Shoulder should open up to expose arm pits more and blade should end above the eyebrows like a salute.

I been using a plain vanilla sriver, which is not known for tackiness or brush looping.  After a few sets I got a few of them to land on the table with a pretty rainbow arc.  But it is brutal training IMHO.

One big plus about this stroke is your field of vision is never obstructed.  So you can watch the pretty orange and white rainbow arcs.

Compared to my old loops they aren't as fast, but they have more spin.  And I guess there is more time to think about what to do next.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2012 at 12:49am
Got it. Thanks!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Weight doesn't need to shift from foot to foot during the stroke.  Focus should be on twisting the torso.

Yesterday, I practiced some of the ideas that you noted in your post. I worked very well. Very consistent and nice spin/speed. I really worked on relaxing the body so that I am getting more wrist and elbow into the shot, but in doing so, I noticed that many of my back muscles are now engaged in a way that they were not engaged before. I can't quite explain it, but it is like my whole body (inside) was rolling into the ball upon impact. 

One thing I have noticed, which is not often discussed, is that for the forehand loop (right handed player), the right foot remains relatively straight as an anchor, and the left foot bends quite a bit as a way of shifting the weight into the right anchor leg. This allows for compression into the right without collapse. The opposite is true for the backhand loop (from what I can observe). 

Edited by richrf - 02/13/2012 at 12:10pm
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2012 at 10:49am
Depends on your foot position.  If you start your loop with feet square against the table both legs will bend about the same throughout the stroke as you go up and down. (horse stance)

If you start your loop with the right leg behind the the left leg then you will end up with your right leg straighter than you left leg at the end of the stroke.  (work stance/walking stance).

Pace is generated by the twist in your hips pushing off your right leg.  Spin is mostly generated by the shoulder lifting your arm , contracting the elbow, and the snap of the arm at wrist.

Back muscles are critical for strong strokes, just like a boxer.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2012 at 11:01am
Thanks much for your further insights!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic