Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the trouble with lessons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the trouble with lessons
    Posted: 07/26/2010 at 7:04am

Taking lessons with multi-ball practice is beneficial in helping you improve or fine tune your strokes, positioning and footwork.  My experience is that these lessons, helpful as they are, rarely  simulate game situations.  An instructor will feed a ball long to your forehand so you can loop it, and eventually you will make a very nice loop.  Or short to your backhand, to practise your backhand flip. It's a nice feeling when you get the timing and stroke correct.  Needless to say, having these lessons is better than not having them at all.

In a real game, what actually happens, is that you will get a short heavy underspin push, followed by a mid table chop, followed by a light chop, which you overplay. Or a sudden hit from a weak return you made off a deceptive no-spin ball.   There's the question of the other player's often exceptional footwork and retrieval ability, bringing the ball back with sidespin or deep, heavy topspin. The instructor by feeding multi-balls isn't simulating this sequence.

To really significantly improve, I think a player needs massive match practice and tournament exposure, with an observing coach pointing out his very specific real game errors and deficiencies.
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 7:20am
milti-ball has its place, it is good for grooving strokes, and exellent for improving stroke recovery, because the time between strokes can be squeezed to a limit that is not possible in real play.
The Older I get, The better I was.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 7:34am
The multiball coach should mix it up for you once you have gained confidence with strokes, ie a backspin short, a long push, at your elbow etc so you can confront them in training to help your game.
 Or after you have had your game you go back to your coach and tell him where you need help etc etc
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 8:13am
We all need to learn how to walk before we can run.  Multi-ball help us learn the stroke and make it become a second nature.  Coach can also mix it up as smackman said and it's call drills.  Drills are usually done at a second half of the lesson, bc it's is so tiring :).  However, if you have not mastered all the strokes, then coach may elect to skip the drills and concentrate on helping you with the stroke.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 8:34am
Originally posted by AVarun AVarun wrote:

In a real game, what actually happens, is that you will get a short heavy underspin push, followed by a mid table chop, followed by a light chop, which you overplay. Or a sudden hit from a weak return you made off a deceptive no-spin ball.   There's the question of the other player's often exceptional footwork and retrieval ability, bringing the ball back with sidespin or deep, heavy topspin. The instructor by feeding multi-balls isn't simulating this sequence.

My gosh. It's like you've been watching me play. My insistence on using short underspin serves usually winds me up in points that play out just like you describe.

I wind up in this "trap" because I can usually out BH-BH push one opponent, and can out FH-FH push the other - which results in a popup and a smash from me. When it works. But ultimately, I'd rather start using topspin to generate footwork errors from my opponents.

I won't "risk" using a BH loop unless it's exactly the right ball for my ability (medium topspin) so I usually wind up getting stuck in 2-3 pushes or a light roll (the "deceptive no-spin" shot.

Which almost always results in my regular partners (both of which are strong BH blockers/counterhitters) opening.

Lately (because neither of them loop), I've been experimenting with deep topspin serves to BH and then giving up a little table so i can use BH loop against topspin and take over the point. Frequently, if my placement of the serve is good, they can only put a medium ball on the table (because they are counterhitters, they don't generate pace - but rely on my loops or smashes to generate pace to counterattack). This ball feeds right to my comfort zone in terms off using my BH topspin.

The flipside is that I have to be very careful about the amount of speed/spin that I generate. Small is good because they can't effectively counterattack, very heavy is good because I can win points out right. But if I topspsin to their "comfortzone" with medium pace/spin, they can frequently counterattack strong and end the point. So if I use a medium stroke, I have to have exacting placement deep. If I use a weak stroke, it just has be deep or short. And if I use a powerful stroke, it just has to hit the table.

:D
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Chopin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 10:45am
I think it has it's place and that a lot of people are too impatient to get the full benefit from it.

An example for learning a kill shot. Divide the table up into 9 quadrants. Start with the 3 nearest the net and move back. Feed the ball quite high have the shot played. Move back through each position, then randomise the feed. Lower the feed and repeat the whole process. Repeat this process with topspin, float and chop fed at different heights / spin amounts etc: Repeat again with everything randomised (spin amount / spin type / height etc:). This will allow you thorughly learn each shot from each position with the initial blocked practice. The practice gets progressively more difficult as each variation is added and you learn what balls you can hit and from where and what to 'respect' more. The randomised routine at the end simulates games and should tell you when to take on that shot in a match and when not to. Trouble is most people want to run before they can walk and don't have sufficient internal motivation (drive) to properly practice and learn a skill.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 11:30am
the way i see it, multi-ball practice is not really the issue.  the issue is how relevant the multi-ball practice is.

from what avarun is saying, his multi-ball practice is, to some extent, irrelevant.

and the same goes for most people i encounter who are taking "lessons" from a "coach."  these "lessons" don't teach how to play a game, cuz their focus is always on how to do certain shots.  the problem is playing a game requires thinking about strategy and most "coaches" don't really teach strategy.

he mentioned that in the games he plays he ends up doing a lot of pushes.  well, those pushes need to be incorporated into the multi-ball practice.  and the "coach" needs to show him how to flip and loop those pushes so as to transition into the looping game that he apparently has learned.

another thing...  i just find that most people under, say, 2100 or so, push too much (and play too defensive in general).  if your opponent is not playing with a defensive blade, then chances are, his pushes will not be very spinny, which means, you should be able to flip or flipkill or loop or loopkill all of them.  it's a matter of having the right racket angle and the right timing on the moment of contact.

your "coach" should be teaching you how to attack those weak pushes, cuz that's a shot you will encounter a lot in games with people under 2100 and if he's not, then you are wasting your time (and money).

also, to facilitate flipping short backspin balls, you should play with a rubber with a high throw angle.  if you play with a rubber with a low throw angle (and if it's also slow on top of that), then the weak backspin on these pushes will appear to be too spinny to lift (and/or reverse), no matter what you do.  whether or not your opponent's ball is too spinny or not actually depends to some extent on what rubber and blade you are playing with.

Edited by takaaki - 07/26/2010 at 11:31am
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 11:36am
In my opinion the lower levels of multi-ball training are to teach you technically correct strokes. Basically it's to give you the tools you will need to win the game. Later on these strokes will become ingrained and then you can start working on simulating game situations - but not before you master the basic strokes.
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 12:00pm
 Good replies, particularly "Chopin". The drills/practice he describes are the kind I, and no doubt many others, could use!
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 7:37am
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

and the same goes for most people i encounter who are taking "lessons" from a "coach."  these "lessons" don't teach how to play a game, cuz their focus is always on how to do certain shots.  the problem is playing a game requires thinking about strategy and most "coaches" don't really teach strategy.

Thats because any stratergy is based upon the ability of the player to perform it or it will fail on the account of consistency. A stratergy is a plan which requires implementation, this cannot be achieved unless the player is proficient in EVERY element of play that the stratergy requires him to perform, any weak link means failure. That is why endless hours of drilling are needed to develop the grounding for a potentially good player, and why coaches spend hours repetively drilling proteges.
On the other hand, many coaches don't teach stratergies because they have not got a clue how to.

Edited by APW46 - 07/27/2010 at 7:37am
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 8:00am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Thats because any stratergy is based upon the ability of the player to perform it or it will fail on the account of consistency. A stratergy is a plan which requires implementation, this cannot be achieved unless the player is proficient in EVERY element of play that the stratergy requires him to perform, any weak link means failure. That is why endless hours of drilling are needed to develop the grounding for a potentially good player, and why coaches spend hours repetively drilling proteges.
On the other hand, many coaches don't teach stratergies because they have not got a clue how to.

This is truth with a capital "T"

As a player, your ability to accurately gauge your own strengths and weaknesses relative to your opponent are crititcal.

Further, I'd argue that developing set-pieces (a series of strokes and footwork) that lead to you taking over or winning the point can be useful. The 3rd and 5th ball attacks are probably the most basic and easy to "control".

But having fundamentals that are "good enough" to execute more complex set-pieces takes time and lots of practice. And it takes thoughtful footwork and play. A good coach will show you how to put together the strokes into combinations.

Example of the opposite:
A buddy of mine had, at his peak, a >2000 level FH loop (he could powerloop through 2100-2200 players). He alsoi had a solid backhand loop and counter. But because his coach never stressed the importance of setting up his shot and creating opportunities through the short game, he stalled at US1400, often beating US1600 players and losing to US1200 players.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 8:37am
Many a point has been lost by the tactically perfect shot that didn't hit the table.    
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 9:16am

Totally agree.  However, I maybe lucky, but I have not yet seen a coach that does not stress strategies, and how to incorporate what he taught into game situation, the problem is that without him sitting in the back court screaming, and throwing stuff I kind of forget what I should do Smile.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 11:03am

Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

your last point is the very point i was trying to make.  that's really the problem.

as for your first point, i do think that hours of drilling are in fact necessary.   but my point is that the drills need to reproduce game situations as much as possible.  or, to be more precise, the coach needs to teach the player how to defeat any of the "strategies" that he may encounter whenever he plays games.

i honestly believe that the problem with most coaches is that they are too focused on technique, so much so, that the technique becomes separate from tactics.  so, i think that it should be the other way around--the focus should be on tactics and one should teach techniques in order to perform certain tactics.  when you do it that way, then the student "automatically" becomes "tactical-minded" and learns to how to size up his opponent quickly and to anticipate their next moves and how to set up his opponent and put him away.

IMHO, this is the real reason why china is so dominant.  it's not genes, nor culture, nor physical strength nor the rubber or boosters and not totally money or totalitarian control (though both are certainly a part), nor that ol' "yellow magic."  what it is is that they are "tactically superior" to the rest of the world.

back in january, i translated a piece from timo boll's blog about his 4-zip loss to xu xin and posted it here on the forum.  in explaining the loss, he didn't say that he lost cuz xu was too big and strong for him or cuz his rubber was too spinny, or that he was probably using boosters cuz his racket was too fast.  he said that xu was always in position for the next ball and no matter what he (timo) did, xu always seemed to "guess right."

of course, in the very beginning, the focus needs to be solely on technique.  but, after a while, you must switch over to tactics or the "student" will just be wasting his time (and gobs of money).

y'know, i honestly believe that a lot of the coaches that i have encountered are aware of this and purposely focus on technique so as not to "let the genie out of the bottle."  cuz, once you have a good idea of what to do, then you realize don't need to take lessons anymore and pay thru the nose like we do here where i'm at.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 12:08pm
I used to play matches once a week in US for a few years. A coach was a 3 hour drive away, so no go there. I never really improved a whole pile in those few years, just slow improvement, real slow. I practiced serves in a really remote place where I was stuck for a year and it really upped my game.

I moved to Korea and played matches, almost nothing but matches 2-5 hours a day for 6 months andI got better, especially at dealling with topspin. I now take multiball lessons 3 times a week. There are simple stuff like low spin Fh drives, FH loops, side to side 2 step Fh loops and there are an unlimited number of combination drills. Even the simpler combination drills like BH push, step around make FH loop from BH corner, race to Fh corner to finish the point on the block... I see that there is at first for me zero instictive stroke recovery and footwork to get to that ball. Those kind of combinations are totally needed. A lot of them are game relevent. A lot of them also don't seem so at first, but they really work on correct positioning, movement, and all that helps to land that attack. It all adds up over time. Time is a key operative word as for me, I do not master these combinations right away and it is difficult to immediately apply them to a game situation with a high percentage. What the multiball training is doing is reinforcing good habits that will eventually take over in a match. I have only done 4 months of it and I feel it will be another few months to where I can apply them to a match and make more points. The difference being is that I would have a much better base of movement, footwork, anticipation, position, and ultimately confidence to make the shots. Match play has got to be one huge important piece of the pie in learning how to apply tactics and what I have learned. There is no substitute for it. I feel that the multiball training for me has made a huge difference in the way I go about the match and I feel I will turn the corne in a few months in improved results over the improvements I have made here already. I cannot discount the multiball training usefulness to me. It is in the process of fixing a lot of my bad habits.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Match play has got to be one huge important piece of the pie in learning how to apply tactics and what I have learned. There is no substitute for it. I feel that the multiball training for me has made a huge difference in the way I go about the match and I feel I will turn the corne in a few months in improved results over the improvements I have made here already. I cannot discount the multiball training usefulness to me. It is in the process of fixing a lot of my bad habits.

+1.  Check out the “1-3-6” Training Plan from http://www.???/en/trainer/index.php.  My coaches stress similar thing.  Basically, you need about 1 hr of training, 3 hrs of practice, and 6 hrs of match play per week for a total of 10 hrs per week, before you can see any real progress.  Too bad for me I can only spend 4-5 hrs per week, and that is not enough Cry.  EDIT: Add link.

Edited by mhnh007 - 07/27/2010 at 12:53pm
LiftOff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiftOff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 5:55pm
Excellent thread!!!
Photino
FH: Tenergy 64 2.1
BH: Tenergy 05-FX 2.1
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 6:32pm
Great thread!!!

Unfortunately there are coaches who take their job solely as technique teachers. They don't focus on the actual game of the table. To find out if your coach is actually interested in your game. Ask him what your biggest weakness is or the best strength. And try to assess whether he focuses on building your game around your weaknesses or is merely teaches strokes.

All players are different and good coaches follow routine methods of teaching. Great coaches, tailor their teachings around their athlete's strengths.

For example, when I was starting out, my coach after a few counter hitting lessons immediately began working on my pushes and attacks of underspin. This launched the improvement. Once I was able to start beating players just on that strength, we continued with the rest of the game, but he chooses to work on improving areas of the game that are "new weaknesses" since the players are stronger and tightening up other aspects of the game that is necessary to beat most players in my current ranking range.

Finally coaches also don't always teach the right way to play certain styles. I've seen tons of players that can beat good players easily only to loose to a low level pip player.

Multiball in this case, does very little to work on all of the above items. It teaches you to be faster and more consistent, but not to think faster. Also does not teach you how to "manuver" your opponent to make a mistake. So its an all or nothing shot, added with mental aspect of the game - this shot is missed most of the time.

Back to table tennis...
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 8:18pm

Interesting thread for sure...

I feel that the power of technique is, in general, being discounted and overlooked in what's being said here. When Xu Xin played Timo he always seemed to "guess right", but it was his lightning fast footwork from endless footwork drills that turned the tactical "guess" in his mind into his body being in the right position and ready to hit the shot in time. The strength of the chinese system isn't in their tactical genius, it is in their technical genius. Schlager could run circles around any of the current crop of Chinese national team players tactically, but technically he is totally outclassed. The chinese players always have very good technique and that's what enables their tactics. Without that incredible consistency in every technique their tactics would be worthless. Euro players can't use the chinese techniques because their forehands and footwork can't match up. If Liu Guoliang showed up at your house tommorow with a translator to train you for 3 months in tactics, every "national team" level tactic would be worthless to you because you couldn't execute them, or at least not consistently enough to make them worthwhile.

To me, technique must be stressed in training until muscle memory is formed and the most efficient strokes, recovery, footwork, etc. are being employed by the player the majority of the time. Training should also be tailored to bring that technique to a game as it develops. You don't teach someone how to FH loop by having them do a 3 point drill. You build it slowly in intensity and variety. Shadowing, robot work (optional), and stationary looping should be the standard until proficiency really starts to appear (I.E. 12 or more in a row). Though basic match drills like: Serve underspin, opponent long pushes, you loop the ball, should be utilized too. Then you can work on advanced drills that link very closely to a game, like the 3 point drill, falkenberg drill, complex multi ball feeds (I.E. short under->push, long under->loop, topspin random->loop until you miss), etc. You shouldn't train with the same person all the time either, you should try to get as many consistent hitting partners that you can so you can get different balls and get to see different playing styles and also different strokes for each of those styles. I think that is one problem with having a coach for most of your training time is that you get used to his shots and stop having to pay attention. You should always be paying attention. If you are practicing with many people each week then you have to pay attention to the ball and their stroke to see where it's going (because 'crosscourt' is a VERY loose term for some people Smile ).

If matchplay is stessed too early I feel that players will be more likely to experience problems with their technique and developing technique because matchplay requires a player to move away from the correct stroke to adapt it to an individual situation. This clashes with the formation of muscle memory. The less capable the player's tools (their techniques) are, the more likely they are to have to make these modified strokes. The problem is that weird strokes tend to do weird things and aren't consistent, that's why they aren't standard strokes taught to people. So you lose consistency in either hitting the ball or recovering from the stroke to the ready. But if you don't have the footwork to enable your forehand to get into the perfect position and keep your weight balanced over your two feet for the hit and the recovery, then you are constantly going to be stuck doing adapted loop strokes and it will be hard to get a feeling for looping or confidence in it. This could cause setbacks in the learning timeline for a technique, or introduce unwanted habits.

Of course that's all just my own take on things. Muscle memory is supposed to be formed in something like 1-3 years, depending on how frequently you play and practice. I'd say matchplay should be upped more once a player starts to get proficient in more basic drills and the mould for their strokes has really 'set' and the match play can be used to 'harden' it into rock solid technique.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 10:56pm
I don't disagree with you on what you're saying. There are different schools of thought.

One thought is almost a shaolin temple one - must pass through all stages of training before you develop into a good player. Must catch a fly with your eyes closed and stuff. This thought expects the athlete to develop into a good player merely through combination of skills.

Another train of thought is that having all weapons is good, but maybe building up an emphasis on a strength is enough to win. So, make the strengths stronger and learn to set the winning shots up is enough to win.

There are however some constants. Table tennis is a game of change and adaptation. Technically, tactically and strategically its always changing - every stroke and every point.

Speaking of your comments on Xu Xin and Boll. Chinese national team has people that mimic other world class players. They also review the tapes of their opponents before they even show up at the tournament!!! That's how Xu Xin was better prepared. I disagree that he is just a much stronger athlete. Besides you don't need to be one. We already have an exception to the rule - beer belly shaped Waldner who won against top "athletes".

We don't study our opponents, but only for a few minutes once we find out on which table we play. So we simply don't have the tools that the pros do. They have an entourage dedicated to having them win. So, hence the better knowledge of opponents, better preparation, and better results.

At the level of most of the people on this forum, most of us can simply benefit from a proper training and constant evaluation of our own strengths and weaknesses. Multiball at our stage can be more detrimental than good. I bet most of the people on this forum either don't know their style of play or know what style they should play.

Back to table tennis...
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2010 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

I don't disagree with you on what you're saying. There are different schools of thought.

Speaking of your comments on Xu Xin and Boll. Chinese national team has people that mimic other world class players. They also review the tapes of their opponents before they even show up at the tournament!!! That's how Xu Xin was better prepared. I disagree that he is just a much stronger athlete. Besides you don't need to be one. We already have an exception to the rule - beer belly shaped Waldner who won against top "athletes".

I was saying that he has some much stronger techniques than Boll, though not all. Boll is stronger tactically for sure and much more level headed in games. That's why he is constantly able to move efficiently enough to line up his forehand. Then he hits with his forehand that's much more powerful than Boll's and Boll has to work really hard to stay in the fight which more often than not he cannot do. If he doesn't control Xu Xin in close and not allow Xu to open first, then he's screwed. Where if Xu can get Boll's opening loop back, he has a good chance of recovering and moving fast enough to get back into the point and counterloop Boll's next loop. It's like that with most of the chinese vs. european battles. If it goes to counterlooping rallies, the euro will lose 75% of the time at least. The training is the difference. That's why the ETTU is so keen to learn from the chinese coaching system and you hear european coaches talking about how great the system is over there for producing champions. It's not because they play more games or have more people to play, it's because they are taught correctly and very strategically with the big picture in mind, right from the beginning.

Edited by BMonkey - 07/28/2010 at 2:19am
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2010 at 9:29am
I think the main point is, unless you have the complete set of strokes, you wont be able to play according to the tactic. So, first develop your strokes, then develop your tactic. Nothing wrong with mixing in some tactics early on, but until you have all the basic strokes, you will have weaknesses that no tactic will help you to cover up.
The holy grail
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2010 at 10:28pm
I know a US700 player who has at least 50 hours of lessons and insists on trying to flipkill my short serves because his coach trained him in it.

gg 30% effectiveness.

know the limits of your technique before you try to execute a set of tactics.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2010 at 11:00pm

milti-ball has its place, it is good for grooving strokes, and exellent for improving stroke recovery, because the time between strokes can be squeezed to a limit that is not possible in real play.

Oh Dear this is such an awesome point!!!!
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2010 at 11:50pm

This is an excellent thread..

In my opinion, technique and tactic are going hand in hand... I don't think one is more important than the other... we need both... they are complementary of each other.. so they just need to be developed in proportion and balance...

Lack of intelligence is certainly no good especially when we are playing against many different style of plays... On the other hand, the effectiveness of tactic will be limited by the technique and fitness.. 

However, in saying this, most probably our problem is more in technique than tactic... We are all in the forum, so I can say we are tt fanatics, hence most probably we know all about theory and equipments Big smile... but we maybe not as good as what we want to be...

Technique and repetitive practice will lead to a better fitness, better footwork, better ball placement, quicker response, better power, better spin, better consistency and better the ability to initiate attack out of a difficult ball...

So when we practice our fundamental strokes, we should always ask the question: are we improving or are we stall? Yes, probably we can loop consistently... but, can we improve the other factors such as placement, spin and power too?... My guess is that people who don't feel any more benefit of practicing fundamental strokes is stalling...

I have been beaten by people who I used to win... because he is now better tacticly ...
but I I have also been beaten by people who I used to win...  because his loop is better placement, consistency and much more explosive..

Cheers

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 3:28am
First I want to start off with a disclaimer: I am not perfect, my footwork and several of my strokes are lacking, and that I am, in my opinion, not close to the "golden" USATT 2000.  I do believe however that some of my ideas will get me towards my goals, and help refine my game.

Technique is first and foremost the most important aspect of table tennis.  Having good stroke dynamics, Euro or Chinese, is fundamental to an individual's game.  It's essential that a loop, or a block, or a push etc. can be done consistently, many, many times.  A good number to aim for is 50-100 if you're an overachieverTongue.  Why is this? Previously mentioned by Bmonkey, is muscle memory.  It is important that any stroke can be executed without the need of thinking "when I'm looping backspin my arm should be lower than my butt" or "my paddle angle needs to be at X degrees when I'm looping Y," or "i'm really going to use my wrist on this push to make it reallllly spinny" in the middle of the match. Why? So that you can focus on the tactics and footwork.

Footwork.  Is important. Period.  Footwork is another extremely, fundamentally important aspect of table tennis. In a thread posted by a member that I cannot remember, a Chinese national coach once said (very lose paraphrase): you can't pull off your killer loop if you can't get to the ball.  How do you train for this?  Lots of multiballing and sparring.  This again develops that amazing muscle memory. And again it is important that an individual is able to move to a ball without thinking about where to move.  Why? So that he or she can focus on where to put the ball next, which leads me to tactics.  But before I move on to tactics another question arises: Well I practice tons of footwork and I can't seem to get to the ball in time, I get lots of footwork practice; shouldn't lots of footwork practice = getting to the ball?

To answer that question: not necessarily.  Footwork helps you get in position for the ball, but do you know where the ball is going?  This is where lots of match practice is important.  What does match practice do?  It helps in the application of what was worked on in practice and it helps develop anticipation. Even in matches, individuals will take the wrong approach. In matches too many players are "reactionary players;" they don't do anything until after their opponent makes their shot. Players should be anticipating, not reacting.  What's the difference? Well like the previous sentence said about reactionary players, they react.  Anticipation requires a player to be higher level of "alertness."  Are you watching your opponent's body language (direction of the opponent's head and shoulders), are you watching you're opponent's racket? While watching are you making an educated guess to where they're going to hit the ball?  Right at contact are you moving to where you think they are going to hit the ball? Or are you just hauling ass across the court after your oppent makes his/her shot (me lots of the timeTongue).

Another point to mention is during practice with multiballing and sparring is: are you going through the motions or are you focusing on the finer aspects of practice?  Are you just hitting the ball back and forth or are you consciously trying to place the ball in a certain area?  When you are pushing are you trying to put spin, keep it low, and fast while maintaining good form, or are you just trying to keep the ball in play?  When your sparring partner is hitting less than perfect are you making the effort to move to the ball and hit it perfectly back to where it should be or our you thinking to yourself: this person sucksSleepy?

Also training should occur in phases, not just multiball, multiball, sparring, sparring,to the day before the tournament.  First chose a tournament a month down the road, so that you have something to and enough time to prepare for.  First week should be technique, getting the consistency down. Second week: basic footwork.  Third/ first half of fourth: week basic footwork, with service and backspin variation. Second half of fourth week: matches and strictly matches- if you have a problem, it's too late to fix in time for the tournament, just save it during the next training period.  Why do this?  This progression in training allows for an individual to "peak" during a tournament, not before or after.  It allow's for a refreshment in fundamentals and then application of fundamentals.

I also forgot mention service: bottom line- it's more important than everything else I mentioned above.  I also forgot to mention tactics, but it's late and I need to go to work tomorrow. So I'm done and will get off my soap box.  And also I apologize about typos, was very excited writing about this,

Jeff(ATTC)

Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 4:32am
Jeff, that was well written with many valid points. A year ago, I had a hit with you and your practice strokes were solid and consistant. That was BEFORE you trained in Vietnam and BEFORE you had a year or so of playing/training in your nice club. (How many tables are you all up to running nowadays?) I have no doubt you will close in on that USATT 2000 mark, which many hold as a benchmark for being considered an advanced player. I believe you will be much more fundementally sound and allround well rounded than other USATT 2000 players when you do achieve this level sometime in the near future. Just short of a year of hitting daily has helped me a pile and the lessons of multiball training I get three times a week will accumulate and profit me a few months down the road. it takes me a while to get these new things done enough repetition to do it half right in a match. The stuff I get to do multiball training on are exactly the combinations I need to get proper footwork, movement, anticipation, and execution improving. When that starts coming together more consistantly in a few months it will be good.

In your case, I think it will be even more so.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I know a US700 player who has at least 50 hours of lessons and insists on trying to flipkill my short serves because his coach trained him in it.

gg 30% effectiveness.

know the limits of your technique before you try to execute a set of tactics.
Would it be fair to say that he should continue to try to flipkill based on what he is learning in his lessons?  I mean, if he doesn't regularly use this technique, then he will never get it down, right?  Yes, he will lose lots of points, and in the short-term his tactic will backfire.  But hopefullly, eventually, his percentages will improve and then, one day, the tactic will be sound.  Just a thought. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:38pm
I hate the term 'flipkill' its so miss-leading.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:06pm

I hate the term 'flipkill' its so miss-leading.
Opinions on the other things being said? I am curious of your opinion as we have said alot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic