Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Time To Learn a New Serve?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DTopSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time To Learn a New Serve?
    Posted: 04/17/2007 at 6:40am

Hi all,

I've started a new article recording my attempts to learn a new service before the Australian Open. I've never seriously tried this service before, so I thought it would be interesting to record my progress at attempting to master the serve, and see how long it takes (hopefully not too long!).

You can find the results of Day 0 and Day 1 at the link below - I'll be updating the article weekly from here on in.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/howtoserve/a/learn_a_serve.htm

Cheers,
Greg
Sponsored Links

rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 8:54am
you might wanna practise serving short to the middle and to forehand instead when doing reversed pendulum serve, since its much much easier to return it with backhand than forehand.
nicko@ttv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko@ttv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 9:15am
the serve you do in the video at 43 seconds is really good.. quite deceptive, had to watch it a couple of times :)
FH: Andro Plasma 430 2.0mm
BH: Stiga Magna 2.0mm
Donic Appelgren Allplay

train hard, play harder.
Gaute View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 10:40am
You need to make the ball hit the table closer to the net if you want to get it sort. It actually takes at least one hour every day a week for five weeks to get a real good serve.
Blade: Avalox
Rubbers:Donic desto F3 Big slam (both sides)

I have stopped gluening now, I play as good without. Donic desto F3 Big slam gives klick anyways...
Gaute View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 10:45am

On the reverse serve it is important to get your handlead the right way so you can go under the ball. If you dont you wont get any bottomspin. Try also to hit the ball closer to the table instead of 30cm over. You know it is important to get alow serve.

Blade: Avalox
Rubbers:Donic desto F3 Big slam (both sides)

I have stopped gluening now, I play as good without. Donic desto F3 Big slam gives klick anyways...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 10:49am
Thanks guys - don't worry I will take your advice as I get better - at the moment I'm still working on getting a consistent contact of the ball. Then I'll start working on the placement too. Still a long way to go!

Greg
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 12:02pm
That is a great serve against not very good players. You would defenetly win a lot of points there. But don�t expect to win against really good players with that serve. They will see right away what spin is in the ball. Against the good players, try to make a simple serve, low and short and vary the spin all the time. You can make that serve once in a while, just to surprise them!
But, good work! Keep practising, the serves look fine!
phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 12:23pm
all the comments are good...

you have to keep in mind that he is learning a totally different motion...

like for me.. playing piano with my right hand is super easy.. but to do the same motion with my left hand is very difficult..

i use my left hand only for the full octaves.. and maybe the middle key in the octave.. but to do the full motion is about imposible..

yes.. new motions are difficult..

i love the about TT videos..

that room you are in... is it the tt studio?  or is it just a pratice place?  or is your private dwelling and you made it into a TT place?  anyways it totally awesome.. sort looks like a racket ball room converted to a tt room..

as to the serve.. once you get it.. it can be very nice to use.. because you will keep the good playerss on their toes.. you know on the return, the split step just before the server contacts the ball, you have that bounce, then you come close to the table.. and watch the ball to see how deep it is.. now the person "server' can sling it both ways right to left, or left to right.. that will make me think about how to return the ball better..

summary.. get that serve down... i know you can put even more underspin on it.. and some times can put heavy top on it.. all from the same deliver..

keep it up.. because it will give you and advantage, purely form an arselnal standpoint...

phamster
satthu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 12:30pm
I have only seen the video on day 0, so comments for that video only.
The serves look nice, but a bit too high and too long.
I'm around 1400-1500 usa rating, but I think I can kill most of those serves with backhand flick to either corner, or forehand loop drive as they're a bit too high and long.

just my 2 cents.

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 1:09pm
Greg,

Great video.  I enjoyed reading the articles you put on about.com site.  I hope you master that serve soon and do well in the Australian Open.  Good luck.
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by GenomicsKnight GenomicsKnight wrote:

Greg,

Great video.  I enjoyed reading the articles you put on about.com site.  I hope you master that serve soon and do well in the Australian Open.  Good luck.
I agree, I visit your site quite often and it's a well constructed, informative place to drop in. Well done.

I think your serve is okay, but when you've worked on it for a while you'll likely get it shorter and closer to the net. It's okay to have a longer version, too, just for that time when your opponent thinks he has you figured out and you send a long, fast one to his backhand. I work on my serve almost every day, even just for a few minutes. I think it's one of the most important practice strokes a player can work on, especially when you're alone.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2007 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by phamster phamster wrote:

all the comments are good...

i love the about TT videos..

that room you are in... is it the tt studio?  or is it just a pratice place?  or is your private dwelling and you made it into a TT place?  anyways it totally awesome.. sort looks like a racket ball room converted to a tt room..

as to the serve.. once you get it.. it can be very nice to use.. because you will keep the good playerss on their toes.. you know on the return, the split step just before the server contacts the ball, you have that bounce, then you come close to the table.. and watch the ball to see how deep it is.. now the person "server' can sling it both ways right to left, or left to right.. that will make me think about how to return the ball better..

summary.. get that serve down... i know you can put even more underspin on it.. and some times can put heavy top on it.. all from the same deliver..

keep it up.. because it will give you and advantage, purely form an arselnal standpoint...

phamster

The room is the main court at my state table tennis centre, which used to be an old warehouse. I usually shoot the videos after I've been down doing some training during the day, so it's nice and quiet. You can see the rest of the centre at  http://www.gregsttpages.com/WATTA/WATTA.html , in the second photo the edge of centre court is just visible on the right.

Don't worry, I'll keep working on the serve until I can perform it correctly - it just might take a while is all!

creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2007 at 12:00pm
quik question how do you get a a short serve that has alot of underspin?
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2007 at 12:23pm
jeeezz no respect for greg, I can garuntee you mr.letts would pretty much rape 90% of the people on this forum, he is a top level senior player from australia
Wheelie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2007 at 5:16pm
@ TTMAN : LOL!!  Yeah forums are funny places aren't they!

I watched a game Michael Maze vs Hao Shuai and he uses the reverse motion A LOT and is able to do a heavy underspin serve with that motion.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2007 at 5:59pm
Greg, you have any videos of you playing tournament matches?
tonycl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2007 at 6:10pm
hi

I suggest you spend more time in your service, seems like you are rushing your service. you need to treat each service as a match, and get into position. you also are standing too upright, you will need to adjust your body balance.

A lot of top class players make use or spin and no spin service, the most important is your 3rd ball and 5th ball as your service will be picked up by a good player

when I was in training, I had to serve 500 balls a day, my coach mention that deng yaping when in training did 3000 service a day
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2007 at 8:13pm
There are extremely few top class players who are fooled by a no spin service. Of course you can vary the spin from a lot of spin to not so much, but no spin serivce is suicide against a really good player.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2007 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by rustyfo rustyfo wrote:

Greg, you have any videos of you playing tournament matches?

You can see some videos of me playing top Aussie players (and a Kiwi) at http://www.gregsttpages.com/aboutme/aboutme.html (these are taken from the Australian Open)

plus some more recent video of me in my local state final at
http://www.gregsttpages.com/videos/freevideos.html (Greg vs Jeff Drew)

Username and password for the videos is gttp4.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm currently ranked about 1040 in the world rankings so I'm not exactly a beginner, but it certainly looks that way when trying to learn this new serve! LOL
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2007 at 9:47am
Looking forward to see some videos of the serve once you are satisfied with it. Won't even try to give you any advices but it must feel good to read that the serve only works as a deceptive serve against lower level players as people above USATT 1500 will kill it=)

Greg, have you by any chance played against Simon Gerada? If so, any vids of that?

Good luck on the serve and the forthcoming championship!
The holy grail
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2007 at 8:54pm
Point on Greg! I don't care how much a pro a player is, when the player tries to learn and master something radically different, it doesn't come all together in one day like an A-Team mission where the commander smokes a cigar after all his team pulled it outta their pants to get the job done and says, "I love it when a plan comes together!" - it just doesn't work like that.  It is nice that you are revealing a few momonets where you are not deatroying opponents, shows you are not afraid to share and receive tactics and advice. That carries a lot street cred. Keep it rolling. Please do something to motivate Speedplay to improve his advanced serves, before his friend arrives this summer for the showdown in Sweden.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Looking forward to see some videos of the serve once you are satisfied with it. Won't even try to give you any advices but it must feel good to read that the serve only works as a deceptive serve against lower level players as people above USATT 1500 will kill it=)

Greg, have you by any chance played against Simon Gerada? If so, any vids of that?

Good luck on the serve and the forthcoming championship!

You are in luck - I've added the video of my match against Simon Gerada from last year's 2006 Aussie Open (see the link below). He was coasting for a lot of the time, he's definitely a level or two above me, but I wasn't totally disgraced I think. He's a good bloke too!

http://www.gregsttpages.com/videos/freevideos.html

Cheers,
Greg
*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 7:15am
Greg, thanks for sharing that with us.
not very often we get to see the "human" side of good players.

about december 2005ish i think i was mucking around with this serve
heres a short clip of when i was doing it.

http://jc.doingitwrong.net/misc/dtop_serve.wmv
pretty rubbishy
its been encoded a few times over so its a bit jittery now.

just serve practise, like yourself.

PS: for greg, and those of us who know gregs playing level, this thread had provided quite a bit of entertainment at all the comments you have recieved.

Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 7:30am
Hi *JC* - not a bad effort - can you do it the other way as well?  Plus it looked a bit high and I would just kill it to to corners. LOL

Seriously though, I think it's nice that people take the trouble to comment - at least they were trying to be helpful, not nasty (but yes, I did chuckle once or twice Wink) It's also funny that although I'm pretty good at serving in general, I reallly do feel like a complete beginner trying this serve - it's very unfamiliar and difficult to repeat the same motion twice. Takes me back twenty years to when I was first trying to learn to loop the ball.

Anyway, I've got to go and finish my serving practice for the day - got interrupted by one of my students and I've got another 220 serves to do! Big%20smile

Greg
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 9:09am
Originally posted by ttman ttman wrote:

I can garuntee you mr.letts would pretty much rape 90% of the people on this forum

Not with that serve...

But seriously Greg, are you adverse to choking up in to the waldner grip on your pendulum serves? I don't think you're ever going to get good action on that serve holding it by the handle in the normal shakehand grip. Every good player I've seen use it pinches the blade between thumb and forefinger to get a freer wrist like a penholder. If you don't feel comfortable doing that because of recovery time or whatever, I just wouldn't use that serve.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 9:42am

you might wanna practise serving short to the middle and to forehand instead when doing reversed pendulum serve, since its much much easier to return it with backhand than forehand.

I also think so . I am also learning the reverse pendulum serve and found that whenever I give it on backhand it is picked easily . Also If you give it on fh it comes back to your side on the middle or on fh which I always love to get .

applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 9:45am
Originally posted by creeder06 creeder06 wrote:

quik question how do you get a a short serve that has alot of underspin?

-- Andrew
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 9:56am

There are extremely few top class players who are fooled by a no spin service. Of course you can vary the spin from a lot of spin to not so much, but no spin serivce is suicide against a really good player.

Actually a really deceptive no spin serve, which looks like it has heavy spin but doesn't is probably the most dangerous service against a good player.  Ma Lin uses them all the time, alternated with heavy underspin.  They look exactly like his heavy spin serves so opponents pop them up and he kills them. 

It's the POORLY DISGUISED no spin serve that is suicide as it can be easily flipped for a winner if short or driven if long. 

Also if you don't have a heavy spin serve, then a no spin serve doesn't help as the player doesn't need to compensate for the spin.

-- Andrew
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 10:35am
Thanks for the link Greg, I'm about to watch it now!

[Edit] Page not found... Just my luck! Some typo or should I try it later?

Also forgott, @BH-MAN, looking forward to the visit, hoping that my semi advanced serves will keep me in the game will I destroy every serve thrown at me with my SB!
The holy grail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Thanks for the link Greg, I'm about to watch it now!

[Edit] Page not found... Just my luck! Some typo or should I try it later?

Also forgott, @BH-MAN, looking forward to the visit, hoping that my semi advanced serves will keep me in the game will I destroy every serve thrown at me with my SB!

Hi Speedplay - the link works OK for me - you might want to try again.

BTW, I've posted an update to the article, detailing my progress over the week and giving a new video to show how things are going.

You can find the update at http://tabletennis.about.com/od/howtoserve/a/learn_a_serve.htm, under the introduction.

Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic