FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[Tips] Deep Forehand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TTHamme View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHamme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Tips] Deep Forehand
    Posted: 11/10/2015 at 3:16am
I am currently training a girl once a week who has made some improvement over the last year.
She trains 5 hours in 3 sessions and plays matches almost every weekend. She really loves the game and is willing to train hard to achieve better results and better technique.

Why this prelude? Well, I think there is one area where she will have to work hard to improve: deep forehand. I'll explain the problem with the following game situation:
she serves short; opponent pushes deep BH; she opens (BH/FH, doesn't matter); opponent blocks to wide FH; she seems to stop her movement halfway towards the ball, reaches towards the ball, drops the wrist and tries to hit the ball.

Obviously there are a lot of errors in my description. My question is: Where do you start to resolve the problem? 
I have done a lot of different exercises: many-ball mainly focusing on technique; irregular exercises (middle - corner - middle - corner ...); match simulations... But I believe now we have to take a few steps back so we can build up this particular element, because the problem is both tactically and technically.
Do you have any recommendations, articles, tips, tricks, exercises... you can share?
Oh, btw: when in position she has a rather good execution (hip rotation, into the ball, correct foot placement...).

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 9:59am
I had the same problem but the reason was that I was still moving towards the left when opening from BH corner. I fixed it by stopping and trying to move to neutral position before hitting opening from the BH corner.
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 10:37am
I have a student who used to have a very similar problem - and occasionally still does.  It is tough to fix!

A couple drills and swing thoughts that helped (assuming a righty):
  1. Instead of having her hit the wide ball, have her catch the ball with her left hand. This is probably best done as a two ball sequence in multi-ball.  Serve one topspin to her backhand, then one to her "fairly wide forehand".  The width of the second ball can be varied as required. 
    1. Make sure the hand is across her body so that when she catches it.
    2. She must be balanced - with her right foot planted (and in whatever position/orientation she would normally place it - when she catches the ball. 
    3. Don't worry too much about the actual catch - if the ball hits her hand, all is ok.  for younger kids, you can have them catch the ball in a cup, a little box, or something.
    4. Her right hand should be in a position to loop - if she were looping.  This can be done with or without the paddle, but if done with the paddle, it should be in a "proper backstroke" position when she catches the ball.  
    5. This drill seemed to work because sometimes the footwork is better when the actual stroke is eliminated.  Also, since the drill "success criteria" is catching the ball in the correct position, the footwork is top priority.
    6. Any "reaching for the ball" must be strongly discouraged.
    7. Once the drill is going smoothly, have her actually loop every other ball.  Watch to make sure she doesn't start "cheating" and reaching for the ball when hitting!
  2. Another simple think is a variation of the above.  Probably best done after doing the above some.  do another two ball drill with one to her backhand and one to her wide (again, varying as required) forehand.  
    1. The 'trick" is to force her to heavily spin every wide ball cross-court.  
    2. I don't worry about power - a nice arcing spinny loop is fine.  
    3. Encourage her to strongly use her right (assuming righty) leg to lift and spin the ball.  This can't be done when reaching, so she'll be forced to "get there" to do it right.  
    4. If she is an advanced player, insist that her ball land deep in the opposite corner - or even cut the side line.  You can also have her start adding more power (speed) when she starts to get more comfortable.
    5. If she is quite advanced and moves well, this can be turned into a three-ball drill to push her harder.  Ball 1 to backhand - Ball 2 to same spot (or close) and have her step around - Ball 3 to the wide forehand.  
    6. If she is really strong, a fourth ball back to the backhand can help her recovery and backhand when moving back to backhand corner.  Or you can turn this into a continuous drill...
Good luck!
bes

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 10:46am
Sounds like she is implementing wrong cross step footwork. She has to learn to hit the ball in the air before her foot lands.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 11:01am
Basically, she needs to start the backswing early and straighten the arm and put the weight on the right foot.  Then start moving towards the wide forehand with the left foot and hit the ball with the left foot in the air.  Then she lands with the left foot and then with the right foot in a way that leaves her ready to continue rallying.  This basic kind of movement is helpful for moving towards the forehand to cover a variety of balls as it lets you swing towards the ball in the air, whether the ball needs a cross step or not - you can use a mini-version of it at any time when you feel may not be able to cover the ball with a shorter movement.  Unfortunately, knees will not consistently let me execute it, but the concept has been helpful for my overall game.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic