Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - medical problem: shaky hand
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

medical problem: shaky hand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2018 at 6:50pm
Is anyone here a medical doctor? If not, throwing out "Hail Mary's" like Lambert-Eaton and SSRI medication side effect without any basis can only be detrimental to OP's peace of mind.

OP, if you sit greater than an arm's length from your computer screen and point your finger with arm outstretched towards a point on your screen, do you notice a tremor in your hand/finger, and if so, does it worsen the further outstretched your arm is?
Sponsored Links

nothingbuttt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothingbuttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2020 at 8:05pm
I stumbled on this old thread so I decided to create an account and comment. I've had this exact same problem:

1. My hand makes involuntary twitches when I try to forehand counter hit. The problem goes away gradually in about 15 minutes or so.
2. My forehand loop is also affected, but much less than the forehand counter.
3. My backhand also need to develop confidence for around 30 minutes before I can use it effectively, even though the sudden twitch isn't there.
4. My problem is much more pronounced when I play with a stranger and especially if he is good. For instance, if I play with my wife (who just barely knows how to block) then I'm not affected, so I think it has to be related to psychological nervousness/anxiety.
5. My problem is most pronounced if I try to forehand counterhit with relaxed muscles, then the ball will be absolutely all over the place for the first 5 minutes.

Really seems like this is the same as YIPS in putting and I didn't know that before reading this thread. I have never before heard of anyone who knows what this is, but I've met at least to TT players with the same problem.

I also quit golf because I had exactly this putting-anxiety-twitch problem, but I was just a beginner anyway. Youtube seems to recommend a different grip for people with YIPS (where you mainly use your left hand to put).

I've played TT very actively for 5 years (on average 10 hours/week during that time), but I still don't compete and it's at least partly because of this stupid warmup/yips problem.

I think the twitching is clearly related to anxiety, but interestingly I have found one situation where the twitching occurs even without anxiety: when I use a long ladle to throw water on a sauna stove/heater I get a very pronounced twitch in my wrist. This makes me think that the condition is somehow neurological, but it's clearly exacerbated by anxiety/nervousness.

I temporarily switched to non-catapult-effect rubbers (Mark V) and this twitch-problem was much more manageable (I had less anxiety in matches also), but I have to say it took a lot of the fun out of the game for me and now I'm back to playing with fast rubbers.

I recently had elevated blood sugar levels and that coincided with my yips being worse than before. Could be just a coincidence though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic