FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

STIGA VTT - Li Sun's Clinics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STIGA VTT - Li Sun's Clinics
    Posted: 09/30/2019 at 11:05am

Donations are welcome - https://www.paypal.me/gnopgnip

Edited by zeio - 09/30/2019 at 11:06am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2018 at 9:38am
wow, will go over to get the nuances of what was said.  thank you Zeio.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2018 at 4:05am
Translation added.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 1:05pm
Here.

Edited by zeio - 09/11/2018 at 1:43pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 10:30am
thanks Zeio, that video should help a lot.   Could you link the untranslated version here in the meanwhile?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Hi Zeio, do you feel that the above video deserve a new thread of its own?  I personally have no idea on how to hit first then spin and I suspect nor does many others.

I thought about that, but I feel the concepts presented are all interconnected. By keeping them together I hope to make it easier for people to get a better grasp of the whole picture.

As for hit-brush, focus on getting the ball across the table(hit) first and work on keeping it on the table(brush), as demonstrated by Li Sun in the another video. I will get that one translated some time later as it's long.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Liquid Sky Liquid Sky wrote:

Hi zeio,

Thank you for the subtitles in the videos! This is very interesting since lots of people, on a lower level, have difficulties with the concept of rotating the waist.

The way I understand the concept of flexion in the hip, this results more in an upwards movement while playing VH Topspin while the concept of rotating the waist gives a forward movement.

Could you explain how to generate a forward movement when using flexion of the hip?

Thank you!
Best regards

Glad to be of help.

That's right. To do what Li Sun does below, you need a combination of hip flexion/extension, internal/external rotation and abbduction/adduction of the hip, in order to produce both forward and upward movement. To keep yourself upright, your knees and ankles move accordingly as well. Li Sun refers to the entire motion as hip flexion probably because it contributes the most due to its range of motion, as can be seen in the super slomo of ML's forehand loop.

Edited by zeio - 09/11/2018 at 7:27am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Benjiex View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjiex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 10:38pm
I'll check this video. ;)
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 2:16pm
the video didn't say anything about how to execute hit and spin (and power)
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 1:44pm
He didn't say anything about changing racket angle during ball contact, or even during the stroke, though. I think he's saying to avoid pure brushing strokes especially with the new plastic ball. I mean you can have a stroke going through (mostly) the centre of the ball while brushing it at the same time, right? That should be what he's advocating.

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I once advocated that on this forum and plenty of « high level » physicists and medical authorities told me that I was full of it because the nervous system is not a network fast enough to allow any change at such a short contact time. I was trying to promote the « borrow-just-enough-spin-from-speed-to-land-and-no-more » concept. My thought was that if the order to rotate forward the paddle at contact is sent before contact, execution is delayed and the result is a deeper sponge engagement followed by a better brush.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 10:58am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Hi Zeio, do you feel that the above video deserve a new thread of its own?  I personally have no idea on how to hit first then spin and I suspect nor does many others.

I thought Li Sun was saying to hit the first ball then spin the second, which doesn't seem to make sense. Then I watched the video and he actually said "hit 1st brush 2nd" in the same stroke.. He means you should first make sure a good contact going through the center of the ball (hit), and the brush is secondary.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 9:35am

Liquid Sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 5:13am
Hi zeio,

Thank you for the subtitles in the videos! This is very interesting since lots of people, on a lower level, have difficulties with the concept of rotating the waist.

The way I understand the concept of flexion in the hip, this results more in an upwards movement while playing VH Topspin while the concept of rotating the waist gives a forward movement.

Could you explain how to generate a forward movement when using flexion of the hip?

Thank you!
Best regards
Nebula Custom Blades - Antique Wood
XIOM - Vega Pro (2,0 mm)
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 2:45am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2018 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Originally posted by ZhouZhekai ZhouZhekai wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me of the concept of stomping?

In one of Zeio's subtitles, it looks like stomping is synonymous with pushing off with the right-foot, for a right-hander. (In English that is not the case, of course)

The exact word used is "蹬". According to my dictionary, it means "腿、腳向腳底方向用力", literally "leg or foot uses force in the direction of the bottom of the foot" in English.

Now, stamp means "to thrust the foot forcibly downward", when used intransitively or "to bring the foot down onto (an object or surface) forcibly", transitively. I didn't choose "stomp" because it carries a connotation of anger.

"蹬" is often used in combination with another character, such as "蹬伸"(to stamp and extend), "蹬轉"(to stamp and turn), "蹬腿"(to stamp the leg, also used for leg press), "蹬腳"(to stamp the foot) etc.

In some parts of China, "跺" is used instead of "蹬". The former carries a connotation of anger, not unlike stamp vs stomp.

Whatever term you prefer, the idea is to transfer the weight in sync with the forward swing of the stroke.

Edited by zeio - 08/20/2018 at 9:14am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2018 at 11:26pm
Lol we can finally talk about hip extension Smile
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2018 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by ZhouZhekai ZhouZhekai wrote:

In one of Zeio's subtitles, it looks like stomping is synonymous with pushing off with the right-foot, for a right-hander. (In English that is not the case, of course)

Edited by Ieyasu - 08/12/2018 at 8:27pm
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2018 at 8:13pm
"Just bump into it." So no more brushing?
ZhouZhekai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZhouZhekai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2018 at 5:25pm
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2018 at 11:39am
Last year in Deaflympics my game was completely broken, because I had no a coach to explain me these things posted in these videos. Old style with adding tons of spin on the ball just gone far away.
It is just not effective.
Today is more possible to receive back injury looking to play old style (with more spin) than some success in the matches.
Often you have no time to react well, especially with balls Nittaku Premium 40+.

I felt myself physical disturbed a lot.
With Nittaku SHA 40+ my game was two or three ideas better than with Premium 40+.
Also rest of the balls DHS/DONIC/STIGA/BUTTRFLY  I never had the troubles that I have with Premium 40+.
These balls also go faster than usual and they are also harder than rest on the market.

The coach here is right, overall you have no time already to play old stylle table tennis and the new/younger, professional oriented players - they must play completely limited in movements if they want to be successful.

I am afraid we will never see again the beautiful table tennis from Waldner's Era.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2018 at 11:34am
Just putting my piggy bank here, in case folks want to show their appreciation.

Subbing takes a ton of time, effort and dedication!
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2018 at 11:00am
These are fabulous.  I particularly like: "Remember to 'eat' the ball"!!!

assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2018 at 10:49am
Great stuff again Zeio Clap
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2018 at 9:48am
More Li Sun's clinics. Keeping them together for easier reference.

Edited by zeio - 08/12/2018 at 11:41am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2018 at 5:19pm
I started today pushing the ground with the right foot when doing right hand FHs,
and keeping shoulders more parallel with the hips, and it feels right, except:

Sometimes I am fast or lucky enough to get to the ball behind the table and
above net level (also I'm short, think Koki Niwa). Here I feel trunk rotation is
still better in terms of recovering for the next shot versus the only
alternative I can think of for increasing my power: move my right foot way
in the back, and transfer my weight from the back leg to the front leg.
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2018 at 10:14am
Translation for people who dont like to get too nerdy:

Xuxin FH - NO!

LSW FH - YES!
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 3:18am

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Great stuff zeio, as ever.  Many thanks for your efforts.

I attended a training day run by Andrew Rushton a few weeks back and he spent a lot of time emphasizing this.  In the past, we were coached to use as much waist rotation as possible, and to move the right leg (for right handers) waaaay back on FH strokes to allow for maximum weight transfer.

These days, it's counter productive.  The ball comes back far more often and you need to be ready for that - big waist rotation and a perpendicular stance impacts too much on recovery times.  He advocated a more neutral stance at all times on both wings and minimal use of the waist.  

He spent a fair time on bat position in the neutral stance as well to help with fast, close-in counters.

It's hard to break out of habits built up over decades of play...

Thanks, Andy.

Waist rotation has been a problematic term for a long time, if folks will check out the table below.

Cervical = Neck, Thoracic = Chest, Lumbar = Waist

The lumbar spine has the least range of motion. Upper body rotation is largely completed by the thoracic spine and hips. That's why I've always used trunk/torso rotation instead when writing on forums and subbing videos, such as this one, even if they actually meant waist rotation.

Still, trunk rotation is de-emphasized nowadays for reasons as you stated.

Wow....very informative indeed... I tried some shadow stroke practice with the suggestions and it seems to work better! Will try it on a real table next... Basically the shoulders should always be in line with the hips right to prevent any torsion at the lower back. It does make a lot of sense
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2018 at 10:38am
Thx zeio. Succinct and clear.

Also, watching the video I missed the downward and then upward movement with the foot/knee/leg, as opposed to playing in a crouched stance and merely rotating each time. (That's a great deal of head movement).

Edited by Ieyasu - 08/04/2018 at 10:39am
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2018 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I am a bit confused cause I don't exactly understand the meaning or the words "stamp" and "flexion" in this contest and generally most translations from chinese to english seem much too complicated or at least weird. Often seeing those in describing rubber properties on the back of a package

The stamp means "to push off the foot." Think of walking up the stairs.

Flexion is just the anatomical term for "bend." Elbow flexion is basically forearm snap, for instance.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2018 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Thx Zeio for posting and translating the vids, as well as creating a separate thread.

However, the coach's words do not seem to match the actions of the demo player he is praising.

Coach says...

"All you have to do is flex the hip with the body facing the ball."

"Waist rotation this substantial is a big no-no." [This instruction seems okay, since it implies small waist movement. However...]

"The waist should stay put."

"The waist should remain still."

But, when I watch the demo player, his waist is clearly moving with his hips and his waist is definitely not facing the table. Sure it is less rotation than rotating at a 90 degree angle. 

As stated in the other thread, what is perhaps meant is less waist/hip rotation, which is fine, but the coach's explanation is completely misleading to me, at least in English.

Maybe it's a translation/language issue.

When I look-up hip flexion, I get this definition:
"<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">The word </span><b style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">flexion<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> actually means to decrease the angle between two bones at joint. "</span>

So what the heck is meant by hip-flexion in the first place, in a table tennis forehand swing context???? 

To clarify what Li Sun meant:

In his demonstration above, he flexed his hip and knee to "turn" his trunk and bring his weight down for the backswing. Notice the angle between his trunk and thigh decreased. See the image below.

He then extended his hip and knee for the forward swing. Also, there's some internal/external rotation and abduction/adduction of the right/left hip. It's hard to see so you have to experience it yourself.

He also stressed that one should not overextend the hip(hip hyperextension) when doing it.

Edited by zeio - 08/04/2018 at 10:03am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic