Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Mushy rubber? Bad glue job?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mushy rubber? Bad glue job?
    Posted: 11/16/2019 at 2:28am
Hi , i just started playing table tennis and i glued my bat together for the first few times.  Very first time i glued my bat together my friend loan me 2 tenegy 05s and i glue them on and rolled them on pretty tightly  on to the blade and stretched it out alittle bit . I played great with that combo so i decided to buy a pair of tenegy 05 , but i read online that you should roll it on very gently and not stretch the rubber at all . So I did and i started playing bad.  The rubber was felt very inconsistant and mushy feeling . 

You guys think its because the rubber is not contacting the blade properly?

Got bad batch of tenergy?

I already reglued the rubbers back on the blade because the edges of the rubber were coming off the blade.  But i rolled it out with a full 750 ml grey goose bottle , (just using the weight of the bottle) and it got stretch out by 2-3 mm , is this bad? 

Sorry if these are dumb questions ,but i wont be able to play for another 2 week and i wanna know if any one have any experience like this.

I use the zhang jike alc blade btw

Edited by keven702 - 11/16/2019 at 2:29am
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 4:57am
I understand very well what you mean. If you've read that we don't have to overstretch the Tenergy is just because the rubber will shrink if you decide to overglue it. I try to compensate the softness of some rubbers by stretching while glueing or roll gently and then press if the rubber is too hard. Also if you don't wait enough for the glue to dry the result maybe mushy
FH: Dignics 064
BH: Dignics 005
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 5:08am
What kind of glue did you use? Is your blade sealed? 
Current Setup: Trying to learn H3
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level:
Starting to get the hang of H3
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 8:20pm
Most likely you didn't wait long enough for the glue to dry. It's a contact glue so it's better to wait extra 10-20 minutes... even 30. It needs to be transparent and not sticky to touch. If it's a thin glue you can apply another thin layer to the sponge (after the first one dries). I usually do it for new sponges when I glue with free chack 2.
VKMO | V>15 Extra | Curl P4
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Most likely you didn't wait long enough for the glue to dry. It's a contact glue so it's better to wait extra 10-20 minutes... even 30. It needs to be transparent and not sticky to touch. If it's a thin glue you can apply another thin layer to the sponge (after the first one dries). I usually do it for new sponges when I glue with free chack 2.

I used a hair dryer to dry it out and it was complelely transparent. is that ok? 
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

What kind of glue did you use? Is your blade sealed? 

Free chack and nope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by keven702 keven702 wrote:

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

I used a hair dryer to dry it out and it was complelely transparent. is that ok? 

yeah, it's fine.  

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 9:32pm
It's hard to tell what went wrong, but in general i glue like this and it's perfect 10 out of 10 times.

- Thin/normal layer on sponge
- Normal layer on the blade, make sure edges of the blade have glue 
- Let it dry
- Another super thin layer on the sponge. This one will dry in 5-10 minutes
- Apply gently and slowly with a roller (I use a tube of construction glue/caulk). Do not stretch.
- Once the entire rubber is on the blade, go over it with a roller but this time make sure it adheres all the way everywhere. Apply more force -- it will not stretch as it is already stuck to the blade.
- Cut with a knife.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic