Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tossing high or low when serving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tossing high or low when serving
    Posted: 02/25/2007 at 9:24am
I wonder what is the difference between tossing the ball high or low during service. I see most professionals have the same service technique but toss just a few inches and sometimes a foot or two. I earlier thought it could be extra spinny when tossing higher but in lots of cases I saw very spinny serve when tossing low too. Could it because of strategy? Any advise?
FH:Xiom Omega IV Pro Max
BH:Donic Acuda S1 Max
Butterfly Innerforce ZLC (flare)
Sponsored Links

securesm3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote securesm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2007 at 9:38am
usually, high toss services distract the oponent's concentration more than low ones. it makes it a little harder to aticipate the placement of the serves, while you can start the rally with shorter more spinny serves when you toss the ball lower. it makes you hit the ball with more concentration on spin rather than the speed or the placement of the ball on openents side.
matt
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2007 at 9:55am
Your quite right it helps spin. Also it can help disguise spin.

For instance if you high toss and do a chop making sure that yr racket goes down faster than the falling ball, then you will have a chop serve.
Next time same toss, try to have yr racket go down at about speed of dropping ball - result float serve.

The above varied the spin by changing racket speed. You can also try same racket speed, different height toss! remember gravity accelerates falling ball!

Try topspin as well!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2007 at 2:21pm
i use both of these serves. i usually use a medium toss but occasionally do a high toss or low toss. high toss serves have the most spin and they are more deceptive as they allow for a more elaborate movement. when i serve fast down the line i use a low toss serve as the opponent has less time to react. high toss serves are alot more difficult to keep short than low toss serves, but i usually let my serves go half long as i find i gt a favorable return for 3rd ball attacks.
ozjan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2007 at 10:22pm
the falling ball builds up speed the higher its falling from which allows the ball when making contact withthe racket to sink deeper into the rubber/sponge, which if properly struck results in a tremendous amoutn of spin
that's a rip!

Primorac Carbon
f:Tenergy 05 2.1
b:Tenergy 05 2.1
joey5867 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey5867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by ozjan ozjan wrote:

the falling ball builds up speed the higher its falling from which allows the ball when making contact withthe racket to sink deeper into the rubber/sponge, which if properly struck results in a tremendous amoutn of spin
Correct! cuz of that changing the highness of the toss when serving is another strategy in TT.
BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 4:30pm
ozjan is correct.  It's around 33 feet per second squared right?   The rate of acceleration of gravity.  There is a bit of a variation of that being that the density of the Ball is quite low in comparison of the surface area of that said ball, so it's proably a bit less than 33 ft pre second squared due to some frictions in the atmosphere. It's been awhile since I had physics though.  Because it falls at a faster rate from a high toss it will cause the ball to make contact with a greater amount of the rubber.  Thus causing more spin.  
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
a11291994 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11291994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 12:38am
The tournament rules are you must throw ball 6 inches into the air. so yah.

Timo Boll Tricarbon
Hurricane 2
Hurricane 2
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 5:24am

I use it for variation like near the end of the match, also it helps me get more spin and it is one of my more reliable serves.

so what are the benefits of a low toss?
???? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ???? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 7:00am
well it just depends on the way u serve, i personally like harder sponge for serving that way the ball doesnt sink in too much and only lingers on the topsheet, i like this because most of the time i like to do very quick actions with the blade when i serve. Most people prefer softer sponge so they have more dwell time for spin. So i guess if tossing it high makes the ball sink in more to the rubber then tossing it low would be better for people who prefer very quick actions with the blade as it wont sink in as much to the sponge, plus i find it more reliable than throwing it really high as it doesnt require as much concentration.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic