Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Toyko Olympic predictions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toyko Olympic predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 4:30am
Originally posted by mundosilbato mundosilbato wrote:

Hi! Recently joined to forum from Spain. Much expectation for the Olympic competition!

What do you think about Jian Fang Lay? 48yo and here there is...

Regards!

What can I say, penhold pips+inverted combination players are deadly af.... Your brain just has to adjust every time they twiddle and keeping track of all the dizzying variations is just a nightmare...

Edited by blahness - 07/26/2021 at 4:35am
-------
Butterfly Viscaria

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 6:36am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Who do you like?

Women's: Batra vs Polcanova

I like Polcanova

Liu Juan vs Balazova

I like Liu Juan - Right!

Lily Zhang vs O. Edem

I like Lily - Right!

Mo Zhang vs Petrissa Solja

I like Petrissa  - Wrong

Sawettabut vs Samara

I like Sawettabut

Thanks.

Ignoramus et ignorabimus
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 9:41am
wow Mo Zhang - she must have seen what i posted lmao

full match/replay *must be in Canada to see this or "appear to be in Canada" Wink

you can also see the full rematch of that fixed XD finals

you'll the full match for Darko  and Harimoto here too - viewing in Canada only

Edited by Charlie Brown - 07/26/2021 at 1:12pm
*sigh*
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 9:55am

i corrected something for you lol

Who do you like?

I like Polcanova

Liu Juan vs Balazova

I like Liu Juan - Right!

Lily Zhang vs O. Edem

I like Lily - Right!

I like Petrissa  - VERY WRONG

Sawettabut vs Samara

I like Sawettabut

Thanks.

Edited by Charlie Brown - 07/26/2021 at 9:56am
*sigh*
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 10:48am

Who do you like?

I like Polcanova - Right!

Liu Juan vs Balazova

I like Liu Juan - Right!

Lily Zhang vs O. Edem

I like Lily - Right!

I like Petrissa  - Wrong

Sawettabut vs Samara

I like Sawettabut

Thanks.

Ignoramus et ignorabimus
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 11:59am
Gold: The Dragon

Silver: Mr. Harimoto

Bronze: Mr. Fan

Thanks.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 12:05pm

Who do you like?

I like Polcanova - Right!

Liu Juan vs Balazova

I like Liu Juan - Right!

Lily Zhang vs O. Edem

I like Lily - Right!

I like Petrissa  - Wrong

Sawettabut vs Samara

I like Sawettabut - Right!

Thanks.

It's a wrap.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 12:21pm
Anyone familiar with Liu Juan's next opponent Szcos from Romania? ITTF ranked #27 and seeded 14.

Liu Juan may be tested for the first time and I predict a win but not an easy one, (4-2 or 4-3)
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by mmxx mmxx wrote:

Anyone familiar with Liu Juan's next opponent Szcos from Romania? ITTF ranked #27 and seeded 14.

Liu Juan may be tested for the first time and I predict a win but not an easy one, (4-2 or 4-3)

Szocs, not Szcos. Or just call her Bernie, aka "The hottest player on earth":
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 1:10pm
grasshopper and dennis good job on your predictions!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 3:47pm
I bet Harimoto beats FZD in the 1/2. Gauzy beats Groth then Ma Long (he wants so badly to re-do what he did to XX at the WTTC) and meets Calderano in the SF. FZD beats Hugo and gets the bronze. At 3-3 10-9, Gauzy gets a match point in the final but cannot convert; then he gets another one and...and.... arghhh my connection is rickety and I can't see that far!!!
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I bet Harimoto beats FZD in the 1/2. Gauzy beats Groth then Ma Long (he wants so badly to re-do what he did to XX at the WTTC) and meets Calderano in the SF. FZD beats Hugo and gets the bronze. At 3-3 10-9, Gauzy gets a match point in the final but cannot convert; then he gets another one and...and.... arghhh my connection is rickety and I can't see that far!!!
to copy someone else:  if everything you predicted comes true, I will eat my shorts.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

to copy someone else:  if everything you predicted comes true, I will eat my shorts.
Tom, you don't wear shorts LOL
mafre76 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafre76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by mundosilbato mundosilbato wrote:

Hi! Recently joined to forum from Spain. Much expectation for the Olympic competition!

What do you think about Jian Fang Lay? 48yo and here there is...

Regards!

What can I say, penhold pips+inverted combination players are deadly af.... Your brain just has to adjust every time they twiddle and keeping track of all the dizzying variations is just a nightmare...

This is exactly why I very strongly feel that time has now come to ban all pips and anti completely. Jian is 48 and this is very bad for the image of the sport and hurts the growth of sport in Australia.
This would horrify 100s if not 1000s of juniors and drive them away from the sport. Aussies are very nice people but this is just way too much if you ask me. Enough is enough & it is time for ITTF to act in the next meeting to change the rule banning all pips & anti.

DHS PPK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHS PPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 10:24pm
Table tennis becomes boring and same old same old when everyone plays the same serve and third ball loop attack style. What we actually need is to retain all racquet covering types not just regular inverted but also pimples out (of different lengths and thickness) and so encourage and nurture more skill and strategy to defeat all styles of play. We need to retain all handle and grip styles too. When any sport becomes one dimensional like for instance one team always winning - it does not add an variety, suspense nor excitement. Head to head one against one (or doubles) sports need variety not uniformity! We need classic standard two sided spin loop attackers to attacking defensive players. We need shake hand and pen holders. It’s the variety and difficulty in overcoming different challenges that makes the difference between good and better players who can adapt against different opponents and within the match under pressure. 
Da Hot Shot Ping Pong King - Ping Pong Fung Fu - shake hand Shoaling + pen hold flying dagger style
Loop to kill not kill to loop - gifted by nature - lazy by choice
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 10:47pm
YES! The system in place is good. Companies can innovate and people know what other people are using by testing the same. ITTF maintains a database of integrity with the fees. It works. the vast, complex ecosystem that all those blades and rubbers create enriches an ever interesting game, like I would prefer walking in the jungle than on a golf course.
I would totally support "inverted only" events though, I can understand some people just don't want to deal with the pips however wouldn't it be illegal from USATT's perspective? if not it should be and those events could never be rated. You just can't cut off a whole slice of the population just because you don't like them! I am amazed at the idea still floating around though. "Ban the pips!" it sounds like ethnic cleansing to me.
mafre76 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafre76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by DHS PPK DHS PPK wrote:

Table tennis becomes boring and same old same old when everyone plays the same serve and third ball loop attack style. What we actually need is to retain all racquet covering types not just regular inverted but also pimples out (of different lengths and thickness) and so encourage and nurture more skill and strategy to defeat all styles of play. We need to retain all handle and grip styles too. When any sport becomes one dimensional like for instance one team always winning - it does not add an variety, suspense nor excitement. Head to head one against one (or doubles) sports need variety not uniformity! We need classic standard two sided spin loop attackers to attacking defensive players. We need shake hand and pen holders. It’s the variety and difficulty in overcoming different challenges that makes the difference between good and better players who can adapt against different opponents and within the match under pressure. 

So you suggest that a 48 old woman beating young athletic two winged loopers is good for the image of the sport ?  Lots of juniors have left the sport in disgust.  I know ITTF people have the right intentions in heart and want to ban all pips & anti for a long time now but they seem so afraid but I do not exactly understand of what.
DHS PPK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHS PPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 11:06pm
The problem is not an old lady beating young men but it’s the young men who are not good enough to defeat any old lady player. It’s not just the equipment it is more the skill, technique, strategy and experience. I personally dislike pips out rubbers (or anti) but these styles are rare especially anti. Who professionally use anti? Anti has too many disadvantages than advantages for any decent high level player. We have already seen many styles now less in competition as it is not as advantageous as the ubiquitous two wing spin loop attacking strategy using regular inverted rubbers. Do not confuse table tennis with hard bat ping pong as this latter is a different game. 

The traditional fast close to table pips out counter flat hit blocking punching pen hold game is rare because it is not the best beginner style to master and will be limited in the more competitive game compared to attacking players. Therefore because it is not an efficient style - it will eventually be phrased out naturally as less potentially successful style of play.

Good players can defeat and over come all types of styles of play irrespective of age as it’s all about skill, strategy, physical and mental fitness under match pressure conditions. If you want to complete you need to play and train against all types of opponents and not blame your opponents equipment or indeed yours as it is a game of skill and sporting ability.
Da Hot Shot Ping Pong King - Ping Pong Fung Fu - shake hand Shoaling + pen hold flying dagger style
Loop to kill not kill to loop - gifted by nature - lazy by choice
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2021 at 11:44pm
Lily is out. 0-4 vs. Chen Szu Yu.
mafre76 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafre76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 12:48am

The problem is not an old lady beating young men

When or whereever did I say an old lady meeting young men ?

It’s not just the equipment it is more the skill, technique, strategy and experience.

Non-TT spectators understand (or care about) all this ?

these styles are rare especially anti. Who professionally use anti?

There are few professional players who use anti.

Do not confuse table tennis with hard bat ping pong as this latter is a different game.

I have no idea how I am confusing hardbat with sponge table-tennis. In fact I am indeed suggesting that table-tennis should follow the example of hardbat and make all players equal by totally banning anti & any type of pips.

it will eventually be phrased out naturally as less potentially successful style of play.

We have waited way too long for this to happen & I am tired of ITTF pretending to change this rule or that rule but horrible manufacturers like Dr.Neubauer keep finding loopholes in the rules to only make more money. The LARC is a total mess now. And more and more pips players keep finding new ways to cheat. I am sick of this. These pips and anti are way too much of a nuisance for decent normal players using regular rubber.

Good players can defeat and over come all types of styles of play irrespective of age

You have to be joking.  Are you telling me a young 18 year old can outwit an experienced 48 year old using equipment based trickery ?

Again you keep missing the important issue. It is not the players themselves but it is spectators at all levels of play. At higher levels of play spectators are confused as to why a looper missed an easy loop. At lower levels it is disgusting to watch two pips or anti players push each other to death. That is not beautiful looping table tennis. And I hate playing against choppers especially. They have no skill and just keep throwing the ball up there over and over. That is negative table tennis at its worst & that is not sport.

I am not going to continue this discussion further. I know I will be hated because it is not politically correct to talk bad about pips.  And I know ITTF will never ban all pips & antii though it is the moral ethical thing to do, because they are so afraid of the political fallout. 

Edited by mafre76 - 07/27/2021 at 12:50am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 3:05am
I predict Lin Yun Ju winner of the men's singles Smile
viscaria - fh h3n 40 - bh h3n 40 - 2015 video
BlackCat510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BlackCat510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 6:00am
I think your hatred of long pips is unjustified.

You seem to dislike both:
1. At-the-table push blockers 
2. Choppers

First of all, I can understand the dislike of older players outwitting younger, more technically skilled players, by using funky equipment that they have little actual control over. It’s frustrating, but I’d personally argue that it’s a way of keeping players in table tennis, when they’d otherwise have to retire from it. I guess it would be a bit like a technically strong athlete playing a tactically strong ‘table tennis chess player’ in a way. LOL

But dislike of choppers is unfair. First of all, high choppers rarely use equipment with high spin reversal/deception, because they need to be able to predict what their equipment will do and need high pimple grip to manipulate spin, so can’t use funky pips (high reversal is inversely proportional to high grip). Choppers are moving towards short pips as well anyway.

Anyway, as someone who plays garage table tennis as both a chopper and an inverted two wing looper, playing as a chopper requires far better anticipation, footwork and manipulation imo. I could probably count the number of top 100 men’s choppers on my fingers. It’s a dying and difficult play style and deserves more respect. 

As for the ITTF, don’t they regularly ban pips they judge to be unfair on the opponent? Didn’t they change the ball type to a ball with less spin, making choppers lives harder, along with other interesting play styles such as Matsudaira’s? I don’t understand the appeal in just watching two technically identical top spinners whack balls at each other, tennis already has that now. Table tennis should have room for more play styles. 
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic Cpen
Fh: DHS NEO Hurricane 3 (Black)
Bh: TSP Ventus Spin (Red)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 7:19am

Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Hi,

Another: What women from Pan America will advance farthest in the Women's Singles event?

My vote: Adriana Diaz

Thanks.
Isn't she the only Pan American representative? you are on fire Donn LOL
Pan America includes all of the Americas so she's not the only representative, but she's the highest seed.  However, Lily should also be seeded in the main draw as well.  And if Juan Liu gets into the main draw and gets a good draw, she could end up advancing further as she's a 2700 level player. So I'm going to say Juan Liu.
thank you for the correction. I am still with Donn though as Adriana beat my ass twice in the same day when she was 9yo and I want to see her conquering.Always a good thing to be beat by the winner of the event.

With Lily and Adriana's losses in Round 3, Juan Liu has advanced the furthest.  Don't forget that she's a former Chinese National Team player.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 7:24am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Dude has to get through Darko (Harimoto lost!) and Fan Zhendong and Ma Long, quite a huge ask if you ask me haha

Edited by blahness - 07/27/2021 at 7:32am
-------
Butterfly Viscaria

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 7:33am

Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Dude has to get through Harimoto and Fan Zhendong and Ma Long, quite a huge ask if you ask me haha
Scratch out Harimoto.  Insert Darko.  I'm still sticking with FZD, but LYJ is a very good dark horse candidate.  He's extremely skilled and smart.  At some point in his career he'll be number one.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 8:01am

Hi,

If Tomokazu Harimoto does not win a medal, I will eat my hat.

Thanks.

Ouch Smile
-------
Butterfly Viscaria

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 8:05am

Hi,

Thanks.

Ouch Smile
He still has a chance in Teams.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 8:33am

Hi,

Thanks.

Ouch Smile

Pass the ketchup please.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 8:35am
Hi,

We see in many sports here, including table tennis, the enormous pressure some are experiencing.  It is everywhere.

Thanks.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2021 at 8:40am

Hi,

Thanks.

Ouch Smile

Pass the ketchup please.

Isn't this a bit premature? He can still win medal in team, no?
Butterfly Innerforce ZLC 85g AN old version
FH: Dignics 09c 2.1 black, 50g
BH: Dignics 64 2.1 red 47g
DHS No15 glue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic