Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TT continues to save my life - my current blades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TT continues to save my life - my current blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT continues to save my life - my current blades
    Posted: 08/18/2016 at 5:36pm
Hey Folks!

It's been a while since I last posted prior to today and wanted to give you all a quick update, along with what will hopefully be some great eye candy for you fellow table tennis blade lovers here.  Smile

I continue to be a part of the USA Paralympic Table Tennis Program as I hope to qualify in 2020 for the Paralympic Games in Tokyo.  Last year I made history as the first ever Para athlete with Parkinson's Disease when I made my Para debut internationally at a Para Table Tennis tournament in Barcelona, and the blade I used was the 1st gen Viscaria S T blade you see in the pics below.  Since that time I've tried the other paddles you see in the pictures because with Parkinson's and the hand tremors I experience, I'm extra sensitive to the paddles I use and they have to be comfortable enough for me to use and still allow me to play despite the tremors.  The old Butterfly Anatomic paddle you see in the picture is by far the most comfortable paddle I've ever used, and right now I've been playing with the super rare Dunlop Barna 1964 Sandwich paddle (designed for the sponge game) which has the outermost ply layer made of mahogany wood which I find absolutely wonderful in terms of control and power (the Barna above that with the white ivorine insert in the handle is from 1947).  I plan on adding to my collection here and purchase a Butterfly Garaydia ALC paddle since Butterfly sponsors me and if the Garaydia works for me then I'll continue to use that paddle going forward.

Table Tennis continues to save my life both from a cardiac standpoint (5 open heart surgeries and a mechanical heart and pacemaker due to a heart condition I was born with) and it has improved my Parkinson's symptoms.  I don't play table tennis to win or lose... I play for a higher purpose.  I play table tennis to inspire and to survive.  Play our great game for the wonderful health benefits it offers because when we do... we ALL win.  Smile

ABC Television News will be airing a feature story on me and my coach (Larry Hodges) in the next few weeks (all for the sake of hopefully inspiring people to play table tennis to improve health and to not lose hope no matter the tough times you face) so I'll be sure to post the link here once it's out.

Edited by Navin323i - 08/18/2016 at 5:39pm
Hollywood Movie Actor - https://www.imdb.me/Navin-P-Kumar
USA Para Table Tennis Player & 1st w/ Parkinson's Disease
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHC9Bj64bg
Sponsored Links

ameetnsharma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ameetnsharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 5:46pm
Awesome! You're an inspiration!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 5:50pm
Amazing stuff!
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 7:51pm

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 08/18/2016 at 7:53pm
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 8:58pm
Keep inspiring us Navin!
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 9:13pm
Go Navin! I have not seen you play Tuesday league for quite some time now... not since Romania 

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 9:28pm
Oh man....
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2016 at 9:50pm
Yet another example, how table tennis is so much more than "just" a basement sport. It is a life philosophy... 

ClapClapClapClap

All the best in your future endeavors. I hope you make the 2020 Tokyo team !!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2016 at 9:37am
Originally posted by ameetnsharma ameetnsharma wrote:

Awesome! You're an inspiration!

Thank you Sir!  I'm very grateful for the privilege of playing our great game of table tennis and if I can inspire and help people along the way then I'm honored to do so.  Smile
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2016 at 9:37am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Amazing stuff!

Thanks Andy!  Smile
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2016 at 9:39am
Originally posted by The Canadian Bacon The Canadian Bacon wrote:

Thank you, my friend!  Smile
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2016 at 9:41am
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Keep inspiring us Navin!

You have my word I will, my friend... thank you!  Smile
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2016 at 9:46am
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Go Navin! I have not seen you play Tuesday league for quite some time now... not since Romania 

Thank you!!  Who are you by the way?  I don't recognize you by your screen name.  I took a break from the league for a bit (plus Larry was out of town for a while so I wasn't getting my regular coaching during that time anyhow) but I'm hoping to be back at the league starting next week.  Smile
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2016 at 10:01am
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Yet another example, how table tennis is so much more than "just" a basement sport. It is a life philosophy... 

ClapClapClapClap

All the best in your future endeavors. I hope you make the 2020 Tokyo team !!

Thanks Patrick!  You are so right... people are so ignorant if they think our game is just a basement sport (if they research the history of our game, they will find that in the hardbat days of the 1930s and 1940s, table tennis would draw arena-sized crowds).  Table Tennis has improved my health in terms of improved cardiac health and has improved my Parkinson's in terms of less muscle stiffness, improved balance, faster reflexes, and better control of my hand tremors.  In fact, my doctor told me that the motor skills tests they do on me for Parkinson's at each of my medical visits has shown improvement to the point that if I keep playing table tennis then I shouldn't see my Parkinson's worsen to stage 2 (I'm stage 1 now) for at LEAST another 40 years and I'm 42 now.  Table Tennis is truly a remarkable game and we're all so blessed to be able to play it.  There is no losing... even if we lose a match because we ALL win no matter what because we reap the health benefits that our table tennis sport offers.  

Wishing you all the best and please do keep in touch!  Smile
tomkei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2016 at 6:56am
respect, keep your nose up! ;)
xiom vega euro,sigma2pro,el-p
xiom vega pro
mizutani zlc,t05fx,r53
mizutani zlc,h8mid,rakza9

My Feedback
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2016 at 7:52am
Living Table Tennis .... that is life and that is long . Haha
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2016 at 9:15am
Navin Sir, You are the man.Clap and you will inspire more people then you think.Thumbs Up

penholderxxx
Iloveplayingtabletennis
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2016 at 9:08pm
Nothing else matters when I read a post like this from Navin .

A friend of mine has PD. He can't really play TT but he spends a lot of time in the gym. He was diagnosed 8 years ago and he is doing a lot better than most PD patients.

There is research from a group in San Diego (and others) showing that exercise slows neurodegeneration. The scientist's name in San Diego is Fred Gage if you want to read about these ideas.

So keep playing and don't forget about the forum! Let us know your results   
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2016 at 10:07pm
Thanks for the inspiration, Navin!

When I read Baal's post I recalled some study done in Germany which showed that playing TT was very beneficial for PD and elderly dementia patients. Some of them showed tremendous improvements after just one year of frequent play.

All the best wishes to Navin! have fun and kick a$$!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2016 at 12:44am
It would be very nice to see a video of you playing.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2016 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Nothing else matters when I read a post like this from Navin .

A friend of mine has PD. He can't really play TT but he spends a lot of time in the gym. He was diagnosed 8 years ago and he is doing a lot better than most PD patients.

There is research from a group in San Diego (and others) showing that exercise slows neurodegeneration. The scientist's name in San Diego is Fred Gage if you want to read about these ideas.

So keep playing and don't forget about the forum! Let us know your results   

Navin's results will be always excellent, because he is among the people living on this world to receive as much is possible valuable experience about the unlimited brain's possibilities!!!
I think a short note/story posted as image of Navin could be attached into each reputable table tennis hall. Once children see what he is able to do - they won't have excuse anymore and that should be more than motivation...
Respect! Clap
bully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2016 at 2:33am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO9nQ_ZptGA
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2016 at 2:10am
We should always promote tt as one way to combat obesity, diabetes , etc.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2016 at 9:43pm
Navin--I continue to draw inspiration from both your courage and perseverance in becoming the first member of the US Paralympic team to play table tennis with both a neurological condition (Parkinson's) and a mechanical heart and pacemaker.

I very much enjoyed practicing with you at the 2015 Nationals and though I don't know when or if I can go to Las Vegas for either the Nationals or the U.S. Open as in 2017 I shall become 75 years old and I'm not sure that at present I have the stamina to attend, even as a spectator.  

As one who has dealt with essential tremor, which may or may not eventually devolve into Parkinson's, I too rely on the benefits table tennis can convey, both in maintaining coordination, balance, and cognition. 

And the wonderful thing about table tennis is that one can still, whether young or old, derive these benefits simply by playing.  To derive these benefits it does not seem to matter at what level you play or for that matter what you play with.  Table tennis is arguably the best sport for people of all ages, and in particular older people such as myself, for improving coordination, balance, peripheral vision, and cognition.  It is also a lot of fun.

In my opinion, national table tennis associations should actively work on getting players of all ages, and in particular older players who simply want to be healthier, to play at the level at which their physical and mental condition will permit.

If, Navin, you find out when ABC TV News broadcasts its feature story with you and Larry Hodges, please let us know when that will be.  Best of luck in your effort to quality for the 2020 Paralympic Team.

Berndt Mann

Edited by berndt_mann - 12/29/2016 at 9:45pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic