Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Updated Galaxy Blades Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 5:02pm
I have the V-16 in FL and it is 6.09 mm thick. I compared V-15 on the basis of the specs in the catalog. 

If it is not close to 7 mm, it is very different blade from what they say it is.

I may get V-15 as well sometimes later this year.
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
Sponsored Links

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2011 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Originally posted by vvu.tee vvu.tee wrote:

v-15 is about 7 mm thick
v-16 is about 6 mm and roughly would correspond to M.Maze (although it is not that similar in feel, it is close speed/flex/throw-wise)

so, please correct the data above

Right, the V-16 is the one that's supposed to be similar to Maze.  The V-15 is supposed to be similar to Viscaria in playing characteristics.  

Did you have V15, and V16, or just compare them off base on the spec?  I don't have the V16, but my V15 thickness is exactly 6.15mm, not 7mm as says on the spec.  It is quite stiff, but has good control.  I don't have M.Maze to compare, but I would not be surprise if them play similar.

Based on specs and reviews on English and Chinese sites.  6.15 is VERY off.  I've seen big fluctuations in weight before but not thickness.  Judging by the pictures of the blade, it appears to be ~7mm as well.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2011 at 10:11pm

v-15 is about 7 mm thick
v-16 is about 6 mm and roughly would correspond to M.Maze (although it is not that similar in feel, it is close speed/flex/throw-wise)

Right, the V-16 is the one that's supposed to be similar to Maze.  The V-15 is supposed to be similar to Viscaria in playing characteristics.  

Did you have V15, and V16, or just compare them off base on the spec?  I don't have the V16, but my V15 thickness is exactly 6.15mm, not 7mm as says on the spec.  It is quite stiff, but has good control.  I don't have M.Maze to compare, but I would not be surprise if them play similar.

Based on specs and reviews on English and Chinese sites.  6.15 is VERY off.  I've seen big fluctuations in weight before but not thickness.  Judging by the pictures of the blade, it appears to be ~7mm as well.

LOL.
pine241041 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pine241041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 12:11pm
Just some general info concerning variations.   I've had a chance to measure thickness and weight of two T8's purchased within the last 3 - 4 months.  The FL handled blade weighed 91 grams, the ST handled blade weighed 93 grams, but both were between 5.8 and 5.9mm in thickness. 

per JimT's list and the Galaxy website, the T8 is supposed to be 6.8 +- 0.2mm, 86g +- 3
I think these are T7.5's
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by pine241041 pine241041 wrote:

Just some general info concerning variations.   I've had a chance to measure thickness and weight of two T8's purchased within the last 3 - 4 months.  The FL handled blade weighed 91 grams, the ST handled blade weighed 93 grams, but both were between 5.8 and 5.9mm in thickness. 

per JimT's list and the Galaxy website, the T8 is supposed to be 6.8 +- 0.2mm, 86g +- 3
I think these are T7.5's

This could be a typo... I need to find some digital caliper or smth and measure my T-8. Perhaps Galaxy meant 5.8 not 6.8, a simple typo to make...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 2:52pm
I own a Galaxy K-4. Butterfly TBS is much better. Generalization: Galaxy clones are poor substitutes for the real  thing.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

I own a Galaxy K-4. Butterfly TBS is much better. Generalization: Galaxy clones are poor substitutes for the real  thing.

This is your opinion, and we respect the fact that you didn't like it. However, this is not what the most people who played (quite a few not with a one but with many) Galaxy blades say about them.

Consider the possibility that K-4 simply didn't fit your particular style - that doesn't mean that it's a bad blade, it simply means it does not play better than your TBS clone for you.

bibigon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 3:20pm
Thickness of my sample of T8 is 6.0 mm.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 3:57pm
I liked better the Galaxy blade K-4 that I had before time. It was more solid than TBS, with more large handle and great feeling.
I respect deeply the opinion of other people, but it is not right to make a general conclusion only with one attempt. It will be the same as if you try once to make counter loop and after that to tell everybody: Oooh, it is so hardly! Nobody can do it! :)

pine241041 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pine241041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 4:14pm

I've never tried TBS and can't say anything about it, but I do own a K4 and feel that it's a very nice blade that can do everything well (a step down from T8 in speed, but a better looping blade).  I think the thickness is about right (will have to check), but the weight is 90g with ST handle. 

vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 4:30pm
K-4 is a nice blade in its own right, and most people like it... it would be nice to get more perspective on its purported twin - the V14... IMHO, they are slightly different, but then again, I had them BOTH at the same time for only a brief 10-15 session, and just got a quick rubberless sound and visual inspection, and I was intended on finding differences :-)

Has anyone tested K-4 & V-14 side-by-side?

Edited by vvu.tee - 08/15/2011 at 5:39pm
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 4:51pm

v-15 is about 7 mm thick

LOL.

What's so funny?
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 5:05pm
Yes, I have tested TBS with T05 and K-4 with T05, K-4 was the faster and more solid blade than TBS.
It depends of the blade. Blade to blade and rubber to ruber...This topic is not to discredit K-4 or TBS.
The handles of K-4 are very different, according to the worker on shift. Also the head size of K-4 is bigger I think. Also the handle is longer than TBS. The new blades TBS are little slower than the old with metal badge. I am telling you this because of my own experience.
Surely there are other samples K-4 and TBS which somebody can write that the truth is other...
There are not 2 blades same as each other.
And I think it is inappropriately to compare baldes which are made by one kind of materials.
For example I have two Gergely Carbon. If I remove the handles and delete the writing text for one of them, nobody will tell me that these blades are Gergely both. The one is more solid and more faster. The other one is with thinny handle, more slower and with little kind of vibrations.
The conslusion is - buy article by your mind!!!
If you like GALAXY, buy GALAXY, if you like BTY, buy BTY. :)

Edited by kolevtt - 08/15/2011 at 5:24pm
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 5:58pm

I have 2 JMs one 89 and one 86 grams and they play the same. I also have 2 M.Maze's one is 91 gram (old logo) and the other 87 grams (new logo) and I'm hard-pressed to note any material differences in play. I also have two Clippers CR, 89 and 93 grams and they are very different in feel and speed. The 89-gram-Clipper is more akin to my Joola Viva, than to the other Clipper.

So yes, there may be some variation...

I was interested more in a comparison between the K-4 and V-14. As I mentioned above, I found some differences in grain and sound, but I have never played them at the same time, and have not done any "real" testing.  Sellers claim they are identical in specs and and only difference is color, but I have my doubts. Is there an official confirmation from the manufacturer that these are the same blade, and have anyone tested them meaningfully?

Edited by vvu.tee - 08/15/2011 at 6:00pm
KleinesDickesAilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleinesDickesAilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 6:35pm
I did a couple of inquiries with some sellers about the weight of the V.14. It turns out that it's way heavier than 83g (which the blade table here says), more like 90g+. To those of you that play this blade: what is the weight?
Plus: I remember reading that the V.14 is about 4g heavier than the K-4 (maybe on TTXonline?).  
Kugelblitz
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

This is your opinion, and we respect the fact that you didn't like it. However, this is not what the most people who played (quite a few not with a one but with many) Galaxy blades say about them.

Consider the possibility that K-4 simply didn't fit your particular style - that doesn't mean that it's a bad blade, it simply means it does not play better than your TBS clone for you.

Of course it goes without saying it was my opinion. But I don't think I have seen anybody write that Galaxy clones are better than their Butterfly counterparts (TBS, Maze, Viscaria especially). I've seen a lot say they are good in their own right, or good for the money, or at most similar playing characteristics. 

it is possible it didn't fit my particular style. but that's the thing -- it's actually different enough from TBS (of which it is supposed to be similar), that you could like one and not the other.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
dr_stalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2011 at 10:20pm

I have K-4 and V-14.

V-14 is really heavier than K-4.

Blade size and thickness are the same.

Outer plies of koto are the not completely same (such as outer plies of TBS and Timo Boll ALC).

V-14 feels a little harder and stiffer than K-4.

K-4 has a little better "ball feeling" than V-14.

(both blades were testing with Moon 39 FH and Moon 37 BH).

Blade: BUTTERFLY M.Maze OFF
FH: BUTTERFLY Tenergy 05 2,1
BH: NITTAKU Flyatt Hard super thick
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 2:20am
Originally posted by KleinesDickesAilton KleinesDickesAilton wrote:

I did a couple of inquiries with some sellers about the weight of the V.14. It turns out that it's way heavier than 83g (which the blade table here says), more like 90g+. To those of you that play this blade: what is the weight?
Plus: I remember reading that the V.14 is about 4g heavier than the K-4 (maybe on TTXonline?).  

Very possible!  I inquired about the V-15 with TTNPP, and he told me that he doesn't have any under 90g, even though the listed weight is 85g.  Maybe the listed weight is for the CPEN version or something?  The good thing is that Galaxy can make the blades to your spec, and the guy at TTNPP told me that if I wanted one at 85g he can order it from Galaxy.  So if you want a galaxy blade that suits your liking, you can just talk to your dealer about it and if he's nice enough then he can get one for you even if it's not in stock!
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 3:49am
My impressions exactly V-14 had a slightly higher-pitched sound when bouncing a ball on it (than the K-4) and this generally suggests a faster blade. Felt heavier (though I did not weight it) and had a thinner handle. 

Seems that Galaxy do not say these are exact copies, retailers do though. It seems more like an upgrade, than a handle paint job (like the TBS and ALC, as mentioned above).

Edited by vvu.tee - 08/16/2011 at 3:50am
xavier0513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xavier0513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2011 at 8:56am
There are new Galaxy zl and zlc blades in trial stage. The blades are given to selected  people for reviewing purposes. V3 and V4.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2011 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Received 3 galaxy blades today (new)
N-6: 90.7g
N-10: 85.3g
N-11: 77.3g

(I double-checked my scale with the prescribed 500 gram weight and it was spot on)

Not sure if any of the MODS are going to keep updating the table but I'll keep adding blade weights. Note: all of the blade weights I provided in the above post were for "flared" versions.

Today I received the following Galaxy blades:
N-7 (flared): 89.0g
N-8 (flared): 86.0g
N-11 (straight): 91.4g (wow. I purchased both this N-11 and the last from megaspin.net; which lists 84g. And now we have a 77.3-91.4gram swing)
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2011 at 4:28pm
I would love to get some feedback on V-11. 

this blade is unique in its construction... to have best "speed/thickness" ratio; which is difficult to find.

it means more dwell (slingshot) without compromising speed.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2011 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by dr_stalker dr_stalker wrote:

I have K-4 and V-14.

V-14 is really heavier than K-4.

Blade size and thickness are the same.

Outer plies of koto are the not completely same (such as outer plies of TBS and Timo Boll ALC).

V-14 feels a little harder and stiffer than K-4.

K-4 has a little better "ball feeling" than V-14.

(both blades were testing with Moon 39 FH and Moon 37 BH).

I have heard that where K-4 had a hollow handle, V-14 doesn't. Is that true?

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 7:40pm
JimT,

are you going to continue to update the table?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 7:55pm
K-4 flared: 93.5g
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 9:09pm
That heavy weight is right up my alley, nb. :)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 9:12pm
yep, you'd probably like it. i couldn't say if it truly plays like a tbs.... still haven't tried one

believe it or not, when it arrived w/ scirocco and iqul max sv... it actually felt light! i was surprised it weighed 93.5 once i weighed.

i'm in the middle of glueing RD/BP to it. just experimenting until my new sheets of cj8000 on quattro arrive
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

JimT,

are you going to continue to update the table?

I cannot update the weights based on anecdotal evidence. They do naturally differ, and also I am told that Galaxy will make you a blade of the required weight by order (reasonable number of course, if you ask for a 100 g T-4 or a 55 g W-2 they will naturally refuse).

But if you guys have some new info on plies or thickness ... then of course.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 10:35pm
I was referring more to the random N-6,7,8,10, and two 11's I received from megaspin. There were no special requests there.
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 10:37pm
Has anyone tried the Galaxy v-3zl or v-4zlc.  How do they compare with the Butterfly ZLC and ZL(Boll, Mitzutani, Innerforce) blades?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic