Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade from Donic Coppa JO Gold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade from Donic Coppa JO Gold
    Posted: 12/29/2019 at 9:45am
I am using 'Donic Coppa JO Gold' from a year on both my FH and BH with 'Xiom Allround S' blade. 
Quite Happy with the Setup in terms of overall game and speed, However was wondering if there is a newer Rubber having similar character as JO Gold but with better grip (for spinning) and durability

Edited by shrisan - 12/29/2019 at 10:47am
Never Stop Learning
---------------------
Blades: Xiom Allround S, Xiom Offensive S
Rubbers: Stiga Mantra M, Donic Coppa Gold
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2019 at 6:27pm
For durability, I would recommend not the current generation of lighter, thin topsheet ESN Tensors, but rather a previous generation of thick topsheet ESN Tensor (heavy).

For example:
The older Rasant was this product. Amazing. It lasts and lasts and lasts and has both good grip and great sponge quality.

The newer Rasanter is faster, thinner, lighter and less durable without as much amazing spin.

Edited by icontek - 12/29/2019 at 6:32pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2019 at 12:41am
Thanks ,  Sadly it seems the Rasant is discontinued now

So you suggest something which is around 10 years old gen of ESN rubbers
Would Rakza 7 also be one such rubber

alexuganski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexuganski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 8:54am
Donic Baracuda might be something you'd like. Great spin, higher throw. It is an early generation tensor.
Harimoto Innerforce ALC
FH: Dr Neubauer Killer Extreme 2.2
BH: Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1

Embrace the Dark Side.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 9:50am
To be honest, almost anything you could buy nowadays would be better.
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 12:10pm
Thanks , Guess Barracuda is slower than Coppa though much more spinny. I am looking for something almost similar pace as Coppa Gold but bit more spinny 
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 1:01pm
Mx-p or the mx-p 50 would be good if you want around the same pace with more spin. 
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

For durability, I would recommend not the current generation of lighter, thin topsheet ESN Tensors, but rather a previous generation of thick topsheet ESN Tensor (heavy).

The Gewo Nexxus EL Pro series is from the current generation & more durable than Rasant & others from the prior generations.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

The Gewo Nexxus EL Pro series is from the current generation & more durable than Rasant & others from the prior generations.

does EL Pro look worn out within weeks as Rasanters do?
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 12:57am
Yes Mx-P is one thought, Just worried that its quite heavy rubber 
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 4:59am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

+1, nexxus would save you on weight too, but yeah, these would be quite a bit faster and more powerful compared to a Coppa, mx-p might be tiny bit heavier, Butt should be an easier transition from coppa. But bat weight is important the nexxus el-pro 48 or 50 would be a good bet. 
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 10:15am
Thanks I will check out Gewo Nexxus EL Pro ( i believe its also ESN Rubber), Meanwhile whats your opinion on Mantra M, Mantra H considering they are Made In Japan
Never Stop Learning
---------------------
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by shrisan shrisan wrote:

Thanks I will check out Gewo Nexxus EL Pro ( i believe its also ESN Rubber), Meanwhile whats your opinion on Mantra M, Mantra H considering they are Made In Japan

Both are excellent and durable.  H is better of the two, M is slow enough to feel a bit dead.  Both are quite "linear" because the pips beneeth the topsheet are short.  I like that design a lot as it tends to help keep the ball on the table.  Its fast when you need it to be.  I like Nexy Karis even more because it takes that same idea even further, but that one takes longer to get used to.  I believe they are all made in the same factory.  All are very grippy.

Edited by Baal - 01/04/2020 at 10:44am
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2020 at 2:09pm
Thanks, Could you share a bit more on Nexy Karis . Is it possible to have aggressive game using Nexy Karis
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2020 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Both are excellent and durable.  H is better of the two, M is slow enough to feel a bit dead.  Both are quite "linear" because the pips beneeth the topsheet are short.  I like that design a lot as it tends to help keep the ball on the table.  Its fast when you need it to be.  I like Nexy Karis even more because it takes that same idea even further, but that one takes longer to get used to.  I believe they are all made in the same factory.  All are very grippy.

I checked out your older posts on Nexy Karis in other threads, was wondering if you still feel that Mantra M and Nexy Karis are similar speed rubbers
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 8:00pm
I play with MX-P and Mantra M - I personally use MX-P as FH and Mantra M as BH, however I use the Mantra M on FH too against certain opponents.

My honest opinion is that Mantra M would be a better choice coming from Coppa JO Gold. I think you would enjoy the feeling more, it is very crisp, direct, fast.  I think both Mantra M and MX-P would be excellent choices though.

I also saw Rakza 7 was mentioned, I used this rubber and it is excellent too, but MX-P and Mantra M give more confidence in that they are able to make a 100 identical shots, where as I felt Rakza 7 sometimes played differently when I wanted it to play the same shot....possibly because Rakza 7 is more spin sensitive that MX-P or Mantra M. Rakza 7 is also more sensitive to the incoming power of an opponent's shot, where as especially Mantra M acts as a wall on the block and as a sniper on the counter loop...no issues at all to control the counter attack in any way you want - direct, spinny, counterloop, flat hit punch block, placed ball etc... 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

I play with MX-P and Mantra M - I personally use MX-P as FH and Mantra M as BH, however I use the Mantra M on FH too against certain opponents.

My honest opinion is that Mantra M would be a better choice coming from Coppa JO Gold. I think you would enjoy the feeling more, it is very crisp, direct, fast.  I think both Mantra M and MX-P would be excellent choices though.

I also saw Rakza 7 was mentioned, I used this rubber and it is excellent too, but MX-P and Mantra M give more confidence in that they are able to make a 100 identical shots, where as I felt Rakza 7 sometimes played differently when I wanted it to play the same shot....possibly because Rakza 7 is more spin sensitive that MX-P or Mantra M. Rakza 7 is also more sensitive to the incoming power of an opponent's shot, where as especially Mantra M acts as a wall on the block and as a sniper on the counter loop...no issues at all to control the counter attack in any way you want - direct, spinny, counterloop, flat hit punch block, placed ball etc... 

Thanks, I have setup Mantra M on my BH with Xiom Offensive S blade. Liking it already after just one days play.. nice step up from Coppa gold. Similar pace but much better spin and control. Might put Mantra M on FH too. I have avoided MX-P thinking its much heavier and also faster
Never Stop Learning
---------------------
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 1:13am

Thanks, I have setup Mantra M on my BH with Xiom Offensive S blade. Liking it already after just one days play.. nice step up from Coppa gold. Similar pace but much better spin and control. Might put Mantra M on FH too. I have avoided MX-P thinking its much heavier and also faster

Yes, you really should play Mantra M both sides then! I wouldn't say MX-P is faster, but Mantra M has maybe a little bit more gears in that it plays soft touch shots and low power placement shots slightly better, so it appears that MX-P is faster. In actual fact, at full power Mantra M is just as fast as MX-P - try smashing and power looping and you will immediately realise!

Mantra M has a slightly longer trajectory than MX-P and Tensors like Rakza 7 etc... so one thing you do have to be careful is not to send the ball long, but it is very easy to adjust to it. 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
darkmoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 2:47am
Donic Baracuda is not really durable. However, Nittaku Fastarc G-1 and C-1, from the same generation, are very durable rubbers
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 10:05am

Yes, you really should play Mantra M both sides then! I wouldn't say MX-P is faster, but Mantra M has maybe a little bit more gears in that it plays soft touch shots and low power placement shots slightly better, so it appears that MX-P is faster. In actual fact, at full power Mantra M is just as fast as MX-P - try smashing and power looping and you will immediately realise!

Mantra M has a slightly longer trajectory than MX-P and Tensors like Rakza 7 etc... so one thing you do have to be careful is not to send the ball long, but it is very easy to adjust to it. 

Thanks, I put the Red Mantra M on my FH. I found cut version of Red was 4-5 grams more than Black (50 grams and 45 grams) and also Red seemed bit more lively than Black when tested it out for few mins.. Guess will need to play some more to Adapt on FH , Meanwhile Black on BH was very easy to Adapt after Coppa
Never Stop Learning
---------------------
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 10:16am
I used coppa gold like 1 year ago.
I was surprised that there's not much difference between this rubber created around 15 years ago and the latest tensor rubbers.
independently from this, if you have to buy a non butterfly rubber today just take the brand and get the latest.
you want joola - get rhyzer
you want donic - get bluestorm
and so on.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 01/09/2020 at 10:16am
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

I was surprised that there's not much difference between this rubber created around 15 years ago and the latest tensor rubbers.
independently from this, if you have to buy a non butterfly rubber today just take the brand and get the latest.
and so on.

Yes. I liked Coppa Gold quite a lot but only wished for some more spin without losing other good characteristics like the good speed, not much affected by opponent spin etc. It seems like Mantra M is quite close to that.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 10:35am

and so on.

Yes. I liked Coppa Gold quite a lot but only wished for some more spin without losing other good characteristics like the good speed, not much affected by opponent spin etc. It seems like Mantra M is quite close to that.

I think it has spin but it's a very low throw rubber.
so it's not made for looping.

they also had coppa silver, should be a bit spinier.
then coppa platin came out.

but honestly today... why get a coppa gold when you can get a bluestorm for almost the same price?
just move forward with the times, don't stay stuck in old rubbers.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 01/09/2020 at 10:39am
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 10:39am

and so on.

I think it has spin but it's a very low throw rubber.
so it's not made for looping.

Agree
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 1:52pm

I tried Mantra M both sides on Xiom Offensive S & Xiom Allround S. Felt very good on BH on either blade  but still need more time to adjust on FH.  On the flexi blade (Allround S) it feels quite spiny and fast while more controlled/medium spin on the less flexi , thicker - Offensive S. 

PS: Uncut Rubber Weight seems to vary between 65-70 Grams  
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 2:19pm
Interesting, I use Mantra M on Palatinus Virtuoso Off- blade. 

I find it very controllable , excellent control over direction and placement. Excellent spin game.

I do find that it has a long trajectory and therefore some balls can go out off the edge of the table until you adjust (is this the adjustment you mentioned?). 

With this rubber, I almost never hit the net, and yet it is not too bouncy (less than MX-P).

What are the control adjustments you think you need to make on FH? What was happening? Long balls, or another problem? I think I'd be bale to relate to this since I use Mantra M a lot. 

[QUOTE=Clarence247][QUOTE=shrisan]

I tried Mantra M both sides on Xiom Offensive S & Xiom Allround S. Felt very good on BH on either blade  but still need more time to adjust on FH.  On the flexi blade (Allround S) it feels quite spiny and fast while more controlled/medium spin on the less flexi , thicker - Offensive S. 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 2:25pm

Interesting, I use Mantra M on Palatinus Virtuoso Off- blade. 

I find it very controllable , excellent control over direction and placement. Excellent spin game.

I do find that it has a long trajectory and therefore some balls can go out off the edge of the table until you adjust (is this the adjustment you mentioned?). 

With this rubber, I almost never hit the net, and yet it is not too bouncy (less than MX-P).

What are the control adjustments you think you need to make on FH? What was happening? Long balls, or another problem? I think I'd be bale to relate to this since I use Mantra M a lot. 

[QUOTE=Clarence247][QUOTE=shrisan]

Yes - Long ball is the main adjustment i need on FH .. Somehow on BH i didnt notice that at all 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 2:34pm

Yes - Long ball is the main adjustment i need on FH .. Somehow on BH i didnt notice that at all 

Ah! Then you will adjust after just few sessions, that is a rubber characteristic, happened to me too. On BH it is less noticeable but still there (when you play a very touch opponent, you will notice it).

I think u will have it sorted after 3-4 times playing with it :) :) 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
shrisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2020 at 1:05am

Ah! Then you will adjust after just few sessions, that is a rubber characteristic, happened to me too. On BH it is less noticeable but still there (when you play a very touch opponent, you will notice it).

Thanks, Yes my opinions were just based on 1 long session with each blade . few more sessions should be good to get set with it. I believe Xiom AllroundS character is closer to Virtuoso Off- but harder. You must be getting better dwell time with your blade, how is it for smashing or flat hits
Never Stop Learning
---------------------
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2020 at 5:20am
Flat hits with this rubber are brilliant, aggressive block, flat hit down the line, bh and fh drive are very easy. Smash is very fast but must ensure it doesn't go long... Power is never lacking. Likewise for drives and aggressive block a slightly more closed angle than my Hammond pro beta was needed. Typically the ball on a powerful hit lands close to the white line with a low and straight trajectory making relooping the ball much harder than against T05 where the ball tends to bounce up. With mantra M the ball kind of skims off the surface if u don't add much spin or if you power loop. Only slow spinny loops bounce up 

Thanks, Yes my opinions were just based on 1 long session with each blade . few more sessions should be good to get set with it. I believe Xiom AllroundS character is closer to Virtuoso Off- but harder. You must be getting better dwell time with your blade, how is it for smashing or flat hits
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic