FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

USA technique hang up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

IMHO, the US guys are not unique in their obsession with FH loop technique. I'm from UK, just like Wiggy, play in a local league, and my team mate is obsessed with the "technique/quality" of his FH loop to such an extent that he completely neglected his serves and short game.

When it works, his FH loop is deadly. But he loses more points due to mistakes receiving serves or pushing than he wins FH looping. And the result - he languishes at the bottom of the division simply because he's unable to overcome players who cannot loop at all yet who can push consistently with good placement (and do not use anti or long pips, etc). 

True. The most exciting part of TT for players and spectators is a well executed Topspin drive or loop. No one remembers that well placed push or subtle block that wins the point. Even the spectacular topspin misses are more memorable.
I bet your friend is aware of his limitations but just enjoys playing the way he does.

Example. We all can recall WLQ's spectacular play. But it was another forumer that pointed out that he is probably the best blocker around, and clever use of blocking is what he uses to set up his FH. I never noticed until he said it.

Edited by Tinykin_2 - 06/20/2011 at 12:04pm
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
Sponsored Links

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

As it is now, all US members seems to post about how they should get the chinese looping technique, and how this technique is superior. It might be true that it is superior, I don't know, but I do know that it doesn't matter for players at our level. Cause if you want to have their technique, then you better put in their amount of practice.

Huh? All US members? LOL wtf?
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

USA technique hang up? Maybe you mean MYTT forum users' hang up? This forum is hardly representative of US table tennis... Come to the US to play in a few tournaments sometime, otherwise don't judge a whole country by what a handful of people write about on one internet forum.

Thumbs Down

Actually I do apologise for that, I did mean within this forum. There is advice in all of this, and I do agree there are English players/coaches just as obsessed with technique, its the decisiveness of the choice to develop the 'Euro' or the 'Chinese' techniques which I find most baffling, as if they are so black and white in difference, and as if it really makes any difference. Tinykin is right of course, players like to copy their favourite world stars, its fun and they have nothing to lose, but these are regularly the same forum members who wish to put considerable points on their USATT ratings, all I am trying to do is inform them that the answer does have to be in technique alone, especially copying WLQ's because thats all it ever will be, a copy, and a poor one at that.
 There also seems to be a prevailent suggestion that European style looping technique is a 'chicken wing' something both ugly and inferior, when in reality, 99.99% of world wide players would give their right arm for Timo Boll's Loop.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

As it is now, all US members seems to post about how they should get the chinese looping technique, and how this technique is superior. It might be true that it is superior, I don't know, but I do know that it doesn't matter for players at our level. Cause if you want to have their technique, then you better put in their amount of practice.
Huh? All US members? LOL wtf?

Sorry about that, a slip of the toungue, as I ment that all they are posting about is the loop technique and how they want to achieve the Chinese style looping. I didn't intend to state that all US player's where like that, but on this forum, there seems to be a lot of them.

I've played TT on a "serious level" (no longer in the basement, but in a club) and I think I'm around 2000 Usatt when it comes to rating, but, I don't have a clue if my loop technique is European or Chinese, simply because it doesnt matter to me. I loop the way I feel comfortable with, while stillmanaging to land a high enough percentage to keep me happy.

I get the feeling that a lof of the posters here rather look good and lose, then look ugly and win.
The holy grail
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 2:11pm

I get the feeling that a lof of the posters here rather look good and lose, then look ugly and win.

I get the feeling that a lot of us end up looking ugly and lose Wink
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

What you need to understand is that for some people, there's more to the game than just becoming a good player.  For people who are passionate about the game, for people who have to constantly cast aside the snickers of their friends and family, a dream to become Ma Long or Timo Boll, or a desire to show people just how amazing and amazingly beautiful one can be at the ping pong table, can be more important.  I'm sure there are other factors I haven't mentioned, but I just wanted to show you some of the culture differences.

LOL

Sounds like you have it really rough.

It's a conglomeration of things, I don't have a lot of problem with my family actually seeing as we're Chinese, but I catch plenty of hell from friends LOL
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 4:57am
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

I get the feeling that a lot of us end up looking ugly and lose Wink

LOL! So true, so true.
The holy grail
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 5:21am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

BTW, it seems the person that is most obsessed about this euro vs chinese loop thing is you. 

Well if thats how you miss-interperate what I am trying to say, fair enough.

It's not what you're saying, but how and how often you're saying it.  You seem to pop up on every looping technique thread to preach your message, but you don't seem to understand the TT culture in the U.S.
People's reaction here when they hear that you play TT is a snicker and "oh that's cute."  It's like saying you go to the club every week to play hungry hungry hippos.  Thus, players in the U.S., at least those outside of Chinese communities, are under much more jeering peer pressure than those elsewhere, and they have to be much more passionate about the game to continue.  With that, a number of factors change.
For one, you want to show people that it's a real sport, a real and shall I say beautiful sport.  Playing like pushblocker, whom I have a lot of respect for skill and dedication-wise, isn't gonna do it.  Secondly, when you're really dedicated to something, you want to become the best possible, so there's this focus on getting the right technique to maximize one's potential.  Even though you might never reach the "break even" point where your time used on technique is more effective than the time you could've used to be an expert with poor form, the dream of becoming the best is still there.  After all, all pros play more or less alike.
What you need to understand is that for some people, there's more to the game than just becoming a good player.  For people who are passionate about the game, for people who have to constantly cast aside the snickers of their friends and family, a dream to become Ma Long or Timo Boll, or a desire to show people just how amazing and amazingly beautiful one can be at the ping pong table, can be more important.  I'm sure there are other factors I haven't mentioned, but I just wanted to show you some of the culture differences.

well said
i've experienced a few of the scenarios you've given.
though my family has accepted the fact that i like table tennis, i never brag about it with my friends, in fact i sort of hide that fact..
whenever my friends ask what my hobby is, i always say its going to the gym, which is partly true because i go there occasionally.
im very very passionate with table tennis, yet im still too ashamed to show it to my friends
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 6:13am
Originally posted by mrdoodzki mrdoodzki wrote:

well said
though my family has accepted the fact that i like table tennis, i never brag about it with my friends, in fact i sort of hide that fact..
whenever my friends ask what my hobby is, i always say its going to the gym, which is partly true because i go there occasionally.
im very very passionate with table tennis, yet im still too ashamed to show it to my friends

Time to come out of the table tennis closet, my friend. Show the world your true colors. Be not ashamed! Heart

Edited by qynthnghm - 06/21/2011 at 6:13am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 6:39am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

well said

Time to come out of the table tennis closet, my friend. Show the world your true colors. Be not ashamed! Heart
 Now that really is terrible, it happens over here too though, 'I play Table tennis' has never been a successful chat up line, you might as well just say 'I'm eccentric'
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 6:51am
No more sneaking out late to go to shady dark room clubs, no more coming home and having to hide all those used rubbers and sweaty headbands. We should not be treated as abominations nor second-class citizens! I implore you, my brothers & sisters, to come from hiding and be proud of who you are!

Yes, I said it, I am a table tennis player and I am not afraid to show it! I've come out and it is FA-BU-LOUS!

bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 10:02am
[QUOTE=LOOPMEISTER] USA technique hang up? Maybe you mean MYTT forum users' hang up? This forum is hardly representative of US table tennis... Come to the US to play in a few tournaments sometime, otherwise don't judge a whole country by what a handful of people write about on one internet forum.Thumbs Down

Bingo. I bet if you that talks of technique (Chinese vs Euro) ranks right up there in terms of number of posts/topics with Equipment. Not meant as an insult, it is usually someone who is very new to the sport or low level players who almost always are in these topics.

Actually I don't mind technique discussion. I can't say the same for equipments. Especially when you are talking about technique and then somebody suggest to use [latest and greatest equipment] to remedy the situation.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 10:04am

Thumbs UpHeart

My table tennis is ugly ...but I love the game.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 10:23am

well said

Now that really is terrible, it happens over here too though, 'I play Table tennis' has never been a successful chat up line, you might as well just say 'I'm eccentric'

I honestly find the opposite. Most people find it's interesting. Perhaps you guys are doing it wrong :D
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 10:58am

well said i've experienced a few of the scenarios you've given. though my family has accepted the fact that i like table tennis, i never brag about it with my friends, in fact i sort of hide that fact.. whenever my friends ask what my hobby is, i always say its going to the gym, which is partly true because i go there occasionally. im very very passionate with table tennis, yet im still too ashamed to show it to my friends

really? in the uk? i always thought tt is popular in the uk. isnt paul drinkhall popular over there?
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 11:19am
I believe that technique is very important. Developing a good technique is important for the game, because again and I've posted this lots of times. A good technique will allow a player to execute a wide variety of strokes without significant adjustment and hence with better results!

Now, what defines a good technique is different for everyone. Lower level players seem to measure their technique in a perfectly controlled environment - example of it being a forehand to forehand loop or forehand to forehand counter with a coach or a partner. Yes, it looks good on the video and may be heartwarming to watch but.... this is very much smoke and mirrors. Lots of players with good technique in a controlled environment fall apart in real game with those good strokes. Why? Strokes are not everything. Movement, quick recovery, anticipation, balance, footwork - all of these elements are a part of good technique and there is no substitute. You must have these in order to play at a higher level. Its not enough to just hit the ball.

Overall, it really does not matter what is the "heritage" of your loop. Most european players are free to develop what works for them and it is admirable. Chinese players have a system that is more rigid, but both are equally good and both can bring the desired results. Yes, China dominates the game and has more players at the top of the world rankings, but there are european players that have been able to win high level tournaments, being almost 10 years older. European players have not been able to maintain their level at the top, but that just goes to show how strong China is.

Regarding Schlager....

His strokes may look "weird", but his technique is EXCELLENT! There is a difference. He can apply same shots to many different types of balls with full control over placement, speed, power, and spin. His strengths are his backhand and forehand flip. He has great touch. Fantastic serves and service return. Yes, he does not play like Ma Long trying to get his forehand in the game, but that does not make him a bad player. He is an excellent player. He proved that when he won the worlds. Yes, he is not as strong as he used to be back then, but then its been almost 10 years!!!
Back to table tennis...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Regarding Schlager....

His strokes may look "weird", but his technique is EXCELLENT! There is a difference. He can apply same shots to many different types of balls with full control over placement, speed, power, and spin. His strengths are his backhand and forehand flip. He has great touch. Fantastic serves and service return. Yes, he does not play like Ma Long trying to get his forehand in the game, but that does not make him a bad player. He is an excellent player. He proved that when he won the worlds. Yes, he is not as strong as he used to be back then, but then its been almost 10 years!!!
 Ahh, Schlager is one of my most favourite players, his technique is not textbook, which is the point I was trying to make, its his own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic