Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Use FAST equipment to improve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Does anybody else want to tell me a completely irrelevant (and not always real) story of their personal experience? I don't mind, I don't read them anyway, so if that makes ur day go ahead and share with us 'what happened the other day at the club', how those shots were 'deadly', and how you were supplying the power. Knock yourself out. Drain it out of your system. 

You seem to be pushing a philosophy that says everyone should just use really fast equipment, and you will improve and get better results by forcing yourself to adapt to it.  Well, I simply don't agree that is a winning formula to get better as a player.

Ya know, the OP's question is actually not a bad suggestion from a training perspective.  Yes, using fast equipment can be an exercise in improving aspects of your game.  It can certainly help you to refine your blocking, your serve return, and etc as it will require you to be more precise with the incoming spin and speed to give a good return.  I would argue that you're not going to learn as much in developing good power and speed on your offensive shots with the same fast equipment.

You want anecdote, well here's one:  I struggled with a weak backhand push and block at a point early on in my development.  I could have avoided the weak backhand by using lower spin/speed rubber, but instead I did the opposite played with a super-tacky high spin rubber on the backhand for awhile.  After making lots of errors with the setup for awhile, I eventually started getting a better feel for the right paddle angles and reading the spin better.  It got me over the hump on getting rid of a weakness in my game.  But, was this equipment the right setup for my game - No.  It didn't really suit my style overall, but it was a useful exercise.

There are many ways to win a point.  It isn't just about blowing an awesome power loop past your opponent.  There's also good placement of shots to get your opponent out of position.  There's also being able to generate spin variation to deceive your opponent.  There's also being able to consistent return the ball to outlast your opponent.  It's called have a playing style.  Just using fast equipment will not help you find that winning style.
Sponsored Links

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Does anybody else want to tell me a completely irrelevant (and not always real) story of their personal experience? I don't mind, I don't read them anyway, so if that makes ur day go ahead and share with us 'what happened the other day at the club', how those shots were 'deadly', and how you were supplying the power. Knock yourself out. Drain it out of your system. 

Assiduous, go ahead and punch this guy in the face:

Man, this blade just changed my game without any practice. Yesterday I beat a 2000 player. My highest win ever. The matches that I lost were just as amazing. This blade makes short and mid distance looping so accurate. Everything goes in. All this time I have been developing my strokes to fit a IF ZLC trajectory but was using different blades. I don't like my Korbel at all any more. Feels hollow and slow and blurry in contrast.

Man, I remember when I was posting here what a nice lively blade Primorac is. Then my game improved and Primo was too slow and the vibration was unbearable. Moved to Korbel and it was a bit faster but much more stable. Now that I've tried IF ZLC there is no coming back to Korbel.

If I could go back I would just start with IF and get used to it. I think my game would have improved FASTER had I started with IF. I broke 1700 in just the last tournament but I feel confident and im signing up again

That's funny. Post of the year.  #Irony
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 12:35pm
The aim of the game of TT is not to hit the ball harder than your opponent but to get it over the net one more time than your opponent. It is better especially for developing or intermediate players (at least in my oppinion) to work on consistency and techniques. I see too many developing players with way too fast equipment. I had a coach you told me to use only 75% of my power on my fh...I regard him as a very good coach.
After developing consistency and good technique, more power will come automatically too.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 12:40pm
there's no such thing as a good or a bad technique, just technique that suits this or that equipment.

so using h3 for 10 years won't make your fh loop better than a guy who used tenergy for 10 years.
it will just make it suitable for h3.
but when you move to tenergy you will have to modify your stroke and make it fit tenergy.
same with any other rubber.

it would be dumb to think of a guy looping, you looking at his body and saying "great, that was a great body movement for looping, that was a great shot" and the ball going into the net. LOL

as for the original question of the thread, it really depends on the stroke you are performing.
some strokes are clearly easier with an untuned h3 and some are clearly easier with a tenergy.
what you have to analyze is which are the strokes you perform more in a match.
if you serve, do opening loop and point is over, then untuned h3 will be great.
but if you serve, do opening loop, then loop 2 more times, then block 2 balls, then counterloop, etc etc you will probably realize that tenergy is better overall at this wide variety of shots and also better at playing from any distance.
this is part of the reason why they recommend slow equipment to newbies, because most of their shots are control shots which are clearly easier with slower equipment.

a rough estimation would be the longer the points you play, the more you will benefit from fast equipment.
the shorter the points, the better you will do with slow equipment (unless you push 20 times in a row).
if you think about it, advanced players have longer points so in the end
advanced player->benefit from fast
rookie->benefit from slow

Edited by puppy412 - 11/26/2013 at 1:30pm
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 1:36pm
The way I see Assiduous theory is just like a story I learnt when I was a kid:
A millionaire who wants his builder to build a 5 stories building but he doesn't want to spend time in building the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th level. He just want to go straight to 5th stories.....

Guess what happened Wink

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 1:55pm
I don't need my minor in Math to see this post by assiduous went well over the line limit:

(He's referring to Primorac OFF-)

Yes, I have 3 because I love absolutely everything about this blade. I want to have spares.

I have the OSP Virtuosso as well, and I would violently disagree that is a class above the Primorac. It is certainly prettier than the Primo, and I would really love to go to the club with the Virtuoso instead of the Primo, believe me, I would. But all 3 of my primos are better than the Virtuoso.

Let me back up and say that they have identical wood construction, so they feel similar, they are medium soft and very elastic and springy. But my Virtuoso vibrates too much and is certainly not as consistent as the primos. It's like the wood or the glue inside is not homogenous and the bounce is not consitent. I made a hardbat out of it but it's too fast for hardbat so I don't know what to do now.

And the W6, do not even try to compare it to Primorac or Virtuoso. It is a totally different blade, and if you want to use the expression 'a class lower' on that one, i wouldn't mind. I have the W6 for sale, hit me up if u interested. W6 is a dull, boring blade with nothing to spark any inthusiasm. Its ugly too. The handle is too thick outside and too thin at the neck. It flexes but it's slow and not as elastic and springy as the primos. Outer ply is not Limba and you don't have the great touch feel of the primos and the virtuoso. W6 is an absolute buzz-killer blade. Unpleasant and a turnoff.

the hilarity about the last part is he once called the W6 the best looping blade, period
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 2:03pm
It's funny how some people view the world through multicolor lenses. An object is blue in color but there is always someone who will say you are wrong it's not blue... it's aqua. We as human beings come with two arms, two legs, two eyes and hopefully one brain. To say there is no "correct" way is inaccurate to say the least. We are dealing with human beings and the laws of physics when it comes to playing our sport. Experience does matter when giving advice here. Hitting the ball harder does not always win the point. Table Tennis is a very complex and demanding sport when played at high level and I believe most of us here are not at that level yet. Tongue
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 2:20pm
I love w6.  I love ye too.  Seems like lots of people do.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 2:44pm
When I started the coach at the time wanted me to use the fastest equipment on the market. But he also didn't want me to play games - just drills. After few months, I took a break from coaching and tried a slower blade and loved it. Most of the shots that I was having trouble with were all landing in, also I was able to hit out and the ball stayed in play.

So I would suggest if you are using a fast setup to learn have a coach or trainer who will make sure you play the proper strokes. A lot of times with fast setup people tend to let the racquet do the work.  If you are looking for a really slow blade - I would suggest Dr. Neubauer Barricade!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I love w6.  I love ye too.  Seems like lots of people do.

After years of YE, I went to Ma Lin Carbon, then Yinhe V4 (ZLC) and now i'm back YE.
So much feeling and control - huge different from ZLC - with same rubbers
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Assiduous, go ahead and punch this guy in the face:

Man, this blade just changed my game without any practice. Yesterday I beat a 2000 player. My highest win ever. The matches that I lost were just as amazing. This blade makes short and mid distance looping so accurate. Everything goes in. All this time I have been developing my strokes to fit a IF ZLC trajectory but was using different blades. I don't like my Korbel at all any more. Feels hollow and slow and blurry in contrast.

Man, I remember when I was posting here what a nice lively blade Primorac is. Then my game improved and Primo was too slow and the vibration was unbearable. Moved to Korbel and it was a bit faster but much more stable. Now that I've tried IF ZLC there is no coming back to Korbel.

If I could go back I would just start with IF and get used to it. I think my game would have improved FASTER had I started with IF. I broke 1700 in just the last tournament but I feel confident and im signing up again

So much win LOL

Oh and +1 for YE! Big smile
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 5:00pm
wouldn't there comes a point where the limitations of the equipment start to determine what type of game you have to play to win? 
For example lets say you want to develop as a close to the table third ball attacker but you are using an ALL set up. Unless you are super strong your power loops are probably going to be blocked or looped back against a decent opponent. So you start to shorten your strokes and loop with less power but more placement to win the point because your equipment does not allow you to win with power. But by this point you have gone a different direction then you wanted in the first place b/c of the equipment you are using. 
I say always use the equipment that suits your level!! 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

there's no such thing as a good or a bad technique, just technique that suits this or that equipment.

so using h3 for 10 years won't make your fh loop better than a guy who used tenergy for 10 years.
but when you move to tenergy you will have to modify your stroke and make it fit tenergy.

it would be dumb to think of a guy looping, you looking at his body and saying "great, that was a great body movement for looping, that was a great shot" and the ball going into the net. LOL

as for the original question of the thread, it really depends on the stroke you are performing.
some strokes are clearly easier with an untuned h3 and some are clearly easier with a tenergy.
but if you serve, do opening loop, then loop 2 more times, then block 2 balls, then counterloop, etc etc you will probably realize that tenergy is better overall at this wide variety of shots and also better at playing from any distance.
this is part of the reason why they recommend slow equipment to newbies, because most of their shots are control shots which are clearly easier with slower equipment.

a rough estimation would be the longer the points you play, the more you will benefit from fast equipment.
the shorter the points, the better you will do with slow equipment (unless you push 20 times in a row).

Strongly disagree as of course there is such thing as good or bad technique. Not everything about technique is based on equipment. There are universal foundational aspects that a player should learn regardless of rubber used which will carry on and apply to whatever setup they use.

You used the example of a loop and watching a persons body even if they miss the loop into the net. Sure you can compliment someone for their "body movement" even if they miss. If they're doing great weight transfer (using legs and waist as their foundation instead of pure arm), getting to the ball instead of stretching to reach the ball, etc etc... those are all examples someone can draw from even if they missed that should be reinforced. These things are also universal and will help regardless what rubber you're using. For all you know it was another factor in them missing... maybe they timed the ball wrong... maybe they missed they sweet spot on their blade.... maybe they misjudged spin. It doesn't mean you disregard the other positive aspects just because a shot was missed.

Lastly you claim that the longer the point (serve, opening loops, blocks, counterattacks) goes = faster equipment is better. I would also disagree with that since throughout all those strokes, the ability to control the ball becomes even more important due to the chance of unforced errors. For many, fast equipment is exactly what is keeping them from getting that deep in the point because they can't keep the ball on the table on their offensive shots, try to recklessly kill balls, or can't keep blocks on the table because they can't control the thing. Most of the time, they look for the "flashy" kill shot instead of relying on consistency. When their ability to consistently perform a flashy kill shot on a certain ball is taken away, their entire game falls apart with unforced errors.

The only time I would recommend someone move to a faster setup is when their "feel" has a reached a level where moving to something faster does not hinder their consistency in any major way. In this situation, they can take advantage of the higher speed without a major spike in unforced errors. Their footwork and speed also have to be up to par as higher speed shots coming back puts stress on movement.

Higher speed from faster equipment may seem awesome when you're doing flashy kill shots etc etc... but when you finally meet someone who has the skill to use all that power you put in right back at you and your footwork/consistency isn't up to par, that's when you realize the "give and take" of faster equipment in that you also need to grow your other areas to support it.

Edited by Rack - 11/26/2013 at 5:35pm
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 5:23pm
God save me that I find myself agreeing with Assiduous --- this time----albeit maybe in a more nuanced language.  He doesn't usually do nuance, and so invites people jump all over him, and sometimes in the resulting beat-down, people miss the kernel of truth in what he is saying.  Well, maybe this time, anyway. 

Like I posted before, it kind of depends on what we mean by "fast" in this whole thing, also what we mean by "control", and even what we mean by "beginner", and even what are the flaws in the game of a particular beginner.

Xiom Axelo?  Probably too fast for everyone, especially developing players.

TBS with a garden variety tensor (or certain ZLC blades like Assiduos mentioned)?  No reason why those can't be used.

Before Assiduous posted in his typically, er, forceful way, I had almost a similar thought.  That is, there an almost religious piety whereby some people claim, "oh no, I would never ever use a blade too fast.  Nobody should ever do that!".  Like we were discussing sins like drinking and sex-for-fun in a Pentacostal church.   (By the way, I enjoy those sins a lot).  That advocacy of the slowest of (for example) Neubauer or OSP blades may make sense for people who play with LP, but in fact, an ALL blade can cause problems for people learning to play a modern offensive style that can in some cases be repaired by using a somewhat faster blade.

Like I said, Schlager carbon and Xiom Axelo and even Amultart are crazy, and people who try them soon enough find out and dial it back.  Even some rubbers can make an otherwise reasonable blade problematic But a TBS is like a BMW 335.  Fast when you need, it, solid as hell, comfortable, and great control.  My wife is a lousy driver, and I think she is safer in one of those.  I can think of about 15 rubbers currently sold that are a lot faster than evil, sinful, decadent T05.  But the control preachers really love to berate sinners who use T05 "before they are ready".
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

Strongly disagree as of course there is such thing as good or bad technique. Not everything about technique is based on equipment. There are universal foundational aspects that a player should learn regardless of rubber used which will carry on and apply to whatever setup they use.

You used the example of a loop and watching a persons body even if they miss the loop into the net. Sure you can compliment someone for their "body movement" even if they miss. If they're doing great weight transfer (using legs and waist as their foundation instead of pure arm), getting to the ball instead of stretching to reach the ball, etc etc... those are all examples someone can draw from even if they missed that should be reinforced. These things are also universal and will help regardless what rubber you're using. For all you know it was another factor in them missing... maybe they timed the ball wrong... maybe they missed they sweet spot on their blade.... maybe they misjudged spin. It doesn't mean you disregard the other positive aspects just because a shot was missed.

Lastly you claim that the longer the point (serve, opening loops, blocks, counterattacks) goes = faster equipment is better. I would also disagree with that since throughout all those strokes, the ability to control the ball becomes even more important due to the chance of unforced errors. For many, fast equipment is exactly what is keeping them from getting that deep in the point because they can't keep the ball on the table on their offensive shots, try to recklessly kill balls, or can't keep blocks on the table because they can't control the thing. Most of the time, they look for the "flashy" kill shot instead of relying on consistency. When their ability to consistently perform a flashy kill shot on a certain ball is taken away, their entire game falls apart with unforced errors.

ok so let's say rookie doesn't listen to my advice and buys fastest paddle.
according to you this will make points even shorter.

then he can come back to my advice and realize that the shorter the points, the slower his equipment needs to be.
so he will go back to slow equipment.

as for correct or incorrect technique.
let's say tomorrow comes a guy who grabs the paddle with his foot and makes kung fu kicks but he can beat ma long zhang jike and fan zhendong 4-0 every time.
will liu guoliang tell him that his technique sucks and to leave the chinese national team?
no, he will embrace him and have millions of chinese start playing with the feet and copy him.
results are the only judge for how good your technique is.

there was a message here where a chinese player supposedly said he didn't like timo boll's chicken wing looping.
results speak for themselves, timo is one of the best players in history and chinese guy...
table tennis is about effectiveness, it's not art, it's not about beauty, it's about who can win more points, that's it.

Edited by puppy412 - 11/26/2013 at 5:40pm
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 5:53pm

then he can come back to my advice and realize that the shorter the points, the slower his equipment needs to be.

let's say tomorrow comes a guy who grabs the paddle with his foot and makes kung fu kicks but he can beat ma long zhang jike and fan zhendong 4-0 every time.
will liu guoliang tell him that his technique sucks and to leave the chinese national team?
no, he will embrace him and have millions of chinese start playing with the feet and copy him.

It's not about how short or how long the points will be... its about how consistent you can be overall. If you're teaching a beginner, you don't teach them to keep the points as short as possible or as long as possible. You want them to have the ability to be consistent throughout anything that comes at them. The longer they can be consistent, the more balls they get to experience, the more their feel, footwork, scenario experience gets a chance to be enhanced. You want to give them the maximum opportunity to grow and figure things out.

As for your feet example, you're seeing technique as a singular (a winning point or a losing point) thing when it isn't. In table tennis (lets use a FH as an example), many components go into "good" or "bad" technique and can up or lower your overall consistency percentage and shot quality. Let's say a noob hits a flashy 1 in 100 kill shot and it goes in. He won the point so you think the result is good... but his consistency is crap. Is it overall still a win? In the end a point is still only a point. Would you focus on the student learning fundamentals which would up overall consistency in their entire game or would you want them trying killshots all day long?

You don't teach a person by scolding them just because they miss a shot but are doing other aspects well. You reinforce the good aspects while fixing the deficiencies. Good technique is a step by step puzzle. You don't skip steps A,B,C and only analyze D (the result). The consistency and quality of D is aided by learning A,B,C.

Edited by Rack - 11/26/2013 at 6:06pm

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:05pm
+1 for Rack. Clap
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:06pm

It's not about how short or how long the points will be... its about how consistent you can be overall. If you're teaching a beginner, you don't teach them to keep the points as short as possible or as long as possible. You want them to have the ability to be consistent throughout anything that comes at them. The longer they can be consistent, the more balls they get to experience, the more their feel, footwork, scenario experience gets a chance to be enhanced. You want to give them the maximum opportunity to grow and figure things out.

As for your feet example, you're seeing technique as a singular thing when it isn't. In table tennis (lets use a FH as an example), many components go into "good" or "bad" technique and can up or lower your overall percentage and shot quality. Let's say a noob hits a flashy kill shot and it goes in. He won the point so you think the result is good... but his consistency is crap. Is it overall still a win? In the end a point is still only a point.

You don't teach a person by scolding them just because they miss a shot but are doing other aspects well. You reinforce the good aspects while fixing the deficiencies.

I said it in the first message.
if you can't put a lot of balls in with fast equipment go to slow.
it will not make you better, it will just give you a higher error margin.
once you put lot of balls in with slow everything will naturally lead you to faster.
if you move to fast too soon it will make you pay and force you to move back to slow.

once you are comfortable with fast equipment you will never want to go back to slow.

Edited by puppy412 - 11/26/2013 at 6:18pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:12pm
Alternative.  Get something well designed from the start.  Then learn to play with it.  Possibly, as level rises, make subtle changes, mainly in type of rubber used.
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:20pm
Replying to Puppy...

Nope you claimed that there is no "good or bad technique" and that technique is built on whatever equipment you use.

You then claimed that the longer the point goes, the more tenergy has the advantage.

Lastly, you claimed that "a rough estimation would be the longer the points you play, the more you will benefit from fast equipment.
the shorter the points, the better you will do with slow equipment (unless you push 20 times in a row)."

As for me being "brainwashed"... sure all the coaches I have talked to have also been "brainwashed" for wanting consistency and proven techniques which work. Sure... haha.

Let me know when you find your mythical player that can beat the CNT players with his foot that LGL will drool over. In the mean time, the current players will be winning championship after championship on proven fundamental techniques that both European and Asian coaches teach which you claim don't exist.

Edited by Rack - 11/26/2013 at 6:29pm

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:38pm
I think that one should play with the fastest equipment that you can push, block, and return serve with satisfactory confidence.
If you cant do those shots well, it wont matter what the speed of drive and kill is.
When I played in a club in london with many nationally ranked players, it was noticeable that the fastest equipment was usually owned by the wannabes rather than the ranked players
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:40pm

Replying to Puppy...

Nope you claimed that there is no "good or bad technique" and that technique is built on whatever equipment you use.

You then claimed that the longer the point goes, the more tenergy has the advantage.

Lastly, you claimed that "a rough estimation would be the longer the points you play, the more you will benefit from fast equipment.
the shorter the points, the better you will do with slow equipment (unless you push 20 times in a row)."

As for me being "brainwashed"... sure all the coaches I have talked to have also been "brainwashed" for wanting consistency and proven techniques which work. Sure... haha.

Let me know when you find your mythical player that can beat the CNT players with his foot that LGL will drool over. In the mean time, the current players will be winning championship after championship on proven fundamental techniques that both European and Asian coaches teach which you claim don't exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15nYqhRpT9U
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:41pm

Che current players will be winning championship after championship on proven fundamental techniques that both European and Asian coaches teach which you claim don't exist.

This is true.   People may look a little bit different sometimes because their bodies are not identical, but in the end, certain things are found in the shots and movement of every good player. 

I agree with PPP last post also. 

Let's exclude choppers and penholders for the moment.  Consider the range of equipment used by any of the offensively minded shake-hand table tennis players in the top 500 in the world -- probably would include more than 400 players.  They overwhelmingly choose to play with a certain range of rubber and blades -- somewhere between Korbel and TB-ALC for the most part, with only a few outliers using stuff faster or slower than that range.  So learn to play with something in that range, ideally in the middle of that range, if you are not going to go straight to defense or LP or something like that.  And don't change all the time because each time you are forced to readjust what you are doing and it is hard to really converge on strokes.
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:59pm
No it's a horrible idea.
The problem with fast equipment is that often times it's very hard to figure out what you did wrong.
A lot of players end up developing a very passive stroke - because that's the only way they can keep the ball on the table.

I'd say the best is to use a medium-hard to medium sponge style rubber that is NOT a tensor.
Also stay away from carbon blades. A 5 ply all wood blade is best to learn on.

You want to develop touch and the correct technique, and the best way to do that is to use moderately slow stuff.

My friend used a LKT Instinct + IQUL on FH/BH and easily made 1600 on that setup.

He only recently changed to a much faster setup (Xiom Aria + H3 + Moon Pro) and is now 1860.
But he developed the basis of his technique using a very slow setup.

Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 7:04pm

I think the truism is that you should use the fastest blade/rubber that gives you the most control.  The question, IMO, is whether to get to this combo, you are better off starting below and ramping up or starting above and ramping down.  I would argue for the former because modern rubbers are pretty fast.  Also, the defensive strokes that are part of an allround game like chopping/blocking are easier to do actively with slower setups.

In my experience, for kids, the blades will eventually become part of their bodies, so it makes little difference.  For them, hitting, even if it never becomes spinning, can be a way of life because they learned it young and do it against good players.   But for adults like myself who started spinning in old age, too many of us are enamored with speed and because we don't understand the effect spin has on a player, fast blades encourage us to go for speed and the low feedback tends to encourage hitting.  A good feedback offensive blade like the Primorac or Korbel is not a bad choice, but it is easier to learn from videos if you are using slower equipment where the effects of the stroke are more visible.  After building out that base understanding of spin, you can always get a faster blade and reduce spin for speed while still learning how to generate spin with better timing.  But the reverse direction (faster to slower) tends encourage hitting with the player rarely if ever reaching the realization that spin is important.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/26/2013 at 7:10pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 7:23pm
allw00d4lyfe
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by jkillashark jkillashark wrote:

allw00d4lyfe

Rossi Emotion for life!
Cybershape Carbon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 8:15pm
No.
Butterfly Viscaria FL

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 8:20pm
Yes.
Cybershape Carbon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 8:20pm
Fine.
Butterfly Viscaria FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic