Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Video] Jeff(ATTC)'s FH and BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Video] Jeff(ATTC)'s FH and BH
    Posted: 01/28/2011 at 1:18am
****UPDATE 02/20/12 SEE BELOW!!!****
In spirit of ohhgourami and tpgh2k video links of their training, I have uploaded videos of my forehand and backhand.  Both of these videos feature stationary hitting against a robot.  My strokes are a little rough, but I've been working on them all Winter Break!  I really hoping to break USATT 2000 by May.  If you guys see anything that looks off, let me know so I can work on it!

Equipment
Stiga Energy WRB
FH: Palio Blitz MAX
BH: Palio Blitz 2.0

Forehand

Over the break I had the "problem" of hitting the ball from my hip instead of in front of my body.  The problem with hitting from my hip was that if I mistimed a ball and hit late, the ball would be behind my body, robbing my stoke of spin and power.  I think now that I am hitting more infront of my body, but I've been told I could hit sooner.

Backhand

In my training I've been focusing more on the FH, so this is pretty much the only time I will hit a BH loop this "nice."
--------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 04/15/11

So USATT 2000 by May seems like a distant goal by now; I feel like there are too many holes in my game right now.  For me, it is hard to utilize these strokes in a game because of my anticipation (aka experience?).  In practice I have footwork, and decent form, but in games, I still rush my shots, and reach instead of move.  Hopefully I can incorporate these strokes into my game.

Equipment
Stiga Energy WRB
FH: Palio Blitz MAX
BH: Palio Blitz 2.0

FH Front View

FH Side View

BH

Previously I had the problem of hitting the ball too late at my hip.  Yesterday I managed to get it half a foot in front of my hip, but after some thinking and some tinkering, I have managed to pull my point of contact in front of my body.  I've managed to do this by using my shoulders more; and I did this today, so I feel very accomplishedBig smile.
----------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 09/19/11

Equipment
BTY MMaze
FH: R7S
BH: Barracuda

Hello, it's been a while, but I've added a very short clip of me doing some 3 point crossover footwork.  The cross over is a little rough, hopefully I can smooth it out a little before the next tournament.  I have manged to move the point of contact to in front of my body (which I consider a huge breakthroughLOL)

3-Point Crossover Footwork

----------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 02/20/12

Equipment
MMaze
FH: Donic Barracuda MAX
BH: Donic Barracuda MAX

Another update! I have been focusing on footwork and service drills since my last post.  Emphasis on fast feet, good spin on serves, and playing tactically smarter.  I tediously took statics of a few full length professional matches (based off of Henzell's videos) in order to better understand service tactics and game psychology. 

There is still instability of my elbow (I blame it on my short stint of trying to have a "chinese" stroke, with chinese rubbersLOL) in ready position and FH.  BH needs a little more work. Service motion is rushed.  Although the video I put up "makes me look good," the guy I am playing against is of a high level and he is not playing seriously.  To see him play seriously check out this video.
Full Match

Short

Jeff(ATTC)

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 02/20/2012 at 4:19pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Sponsored Links

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 1:25am
horrible!!!!! what kind of 1800 swings are those?!?!? Wink they look more like 2000 to me.....

really nice recovery on the fh and i'm glad that i'm not the only one who has a bit of trouble with the bh. but still  much better than mine =(
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 1:41am
When I grow up I want to be Jeff(ATTC) !

Jeff, do you know when the next Austin tournament is scheduled. 

I was thinking of going to the Texas Wesleyan tournament in March.  However, I would prefer to play at an Austin event since it is a much shorter drive.  I really like the Austin TT Club facility.

Good luck with your 2000 goal.  My recent play has resulted in rethinking my time table toward that goal.  I am not even sure now if I will ever make it.  I was hoping to get close by the end of this year, but I am going to be lucky to just maintain a mid 1700 rating the way things are going.

Mark
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 1:43am
Very nice! I'm jealous of your backhand. Smile

You seem to get some good hip rotation on your forehand too. Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 2:16am
Very nice, I'm impressed!

Yes, I do think your fh can be timed a lot earlier.  Keep working on it.  I recommend making the timing earlier on your fh for the simplest stroke and gradually progress on the harder ones.

Again, very nice!
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 2:28am
You guys are too kind!  Thank everyone for the comments and input!
@mjamja: the next ATTC tournament is probably going to be in March.
@ohhgourami: the FH timing is so hard.  It took me a month just to move contact of the ball from my hip, to where it is now!LOL  Hopefully in one more month it will be where it should be.Tongue
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
ZJKandMLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZJKandMLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 2:36am
with strokes like that, i don't know how ur not 2000 right now... unless u have problems playing the same way in game or ur other strokes r really bad loool.

Great strokes man, ull definitely hit 2000 extremely soon
Blade: Photino
FH: Donic Acuda S1, MAX
BH: Tenergy 64, MAX
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 2:45am
Your technique is very text book..
Will be interesting to see you in a match though.. you can't really tell only from training videos.. good technique, though you can still add some power to the FH.. maybe you are just training so don't go full power..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 4:44am
Very steady and powerful strokes you've got there... I agree with ohhgourami that you could probably time your FH even earlier, and your FH could be a little more relaxed... What about looping against underspin? 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80

Back to normal shape bats :(
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Jeff(ATTC) Jeff(ATTC) wrote:

@ohhgourami: the FH timing is so hard.  It took me a month just to move contact of the ball from my hip, to where it is now!LOL  Hopefully in one more month it will be where it should be.Tongue

A start would be to stand closer to the table just by a little bit.  You would be forced to hit earlier or you would get jammed.  So once you feel comfortable move another bit closer.

I never play without trying to get a proper fh counterhit warm up.  Start off a bit slow but take the ball off the bounce and try to get the feel for that day.  Slowly speed it up and do ~30-50 nonstop and I should be good.  If I cannot get a proper warm up that day on fh, I don't even bother to play seriously or it will screw up my timing.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 7:47am
wow nice strokes. you've improved a lot since your last video. I also don't understand how you are not rated 2000 ???
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 9:24am
I'll add this comment, then look at the vids and see where he stands.

When I passed through Texas my last time before coming out here to Korea, I made 4 or 5 visits to ATTC and hit with Jeff once or twice or thrice. At the time, he was rated many hundreds of USATT rating points below his current rating. This was a month or two before he went to Vietnam for his famed trip. 

I did not know his rating while we were doing some practice drills. His continuous FH after opening was very high percentage and nice pressure. He took the ball reasonable early and had average spin and decent pace. Nothing overwhelming, but his placement and ability to continue speed drive attacks and pressure indicated to me his practice strokes were more like that of someone near 2000, at least on that stroke. We had a short practice match, too. When he told me his USATT rating before the practice match, I was greatly surprised.

I would have guessed he was 1800 minimum, possibly much higher, closer to 2000. His rating was WAY lower than that. Of course it had been a few months since his last tourney and he was/still is an improving player. I thought his rating will catch up REAL quick. It just did not as fast as I expected. That can still happen as in some tourneys, it is hard to get to play players who will give you the chance to add a lot of points. it could take several to catch up the rating. Also, in that timespan, the player can improve even more to make the player under-rated.

Jeff wasn't/isn't a ringer, he was just severely under-rated for a spell. After I look at the vids, I will probably say he can move up some more. It takes a while for the skills you develop to turn into points won in matches and matches won where you were not able to do before. I go through a similar process and still am. It can be frustrating and fun both at the same time. It also takes a number of tourneys to bring the rating close to the player's level.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 9:51am
Jeff, I saw both vids now. Your FH looks consistant and you look ready to do the next stroke in pplenty of time. Balance looks good. Your BH  is getting along.

I would be more interested in seeing both of these drills with another player. I would also be interested in seeing you play a practice match vs the hardbat player from Temple and also vs Tom.

To get to your current rating, you obviously have been getting better in match play. You are in a good place to train and grow. I do not doubt that you will hit the 2000 mark by the end of 2011 if you keep up your TT activity as you have. I think you have enough "Tools" to make 2050 before getting more. Just a matter of getting more out of the matches, which will come in more time.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 3:12pm
net is low!! LOL
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 3:51pm
Thanks again guys!  I was doing some frame by frame analysis  of my FH vs. WLQ FH.  One thing that I noticed is that: he takes it earlier (duh); that my forearm snap is happening too early whereas WLQ's forearm snap is occurring at contact.  So by the time I'm hitting the ball, my arm has already slowed down a bit. Something new to work on!  I will try to put up some current videos of me playing, but here are some from last October.  You may notice that my strokes are not as nice (to be expected), footwork is off.  Hopefully when I post some new vids you guys will see a little progress.  Just to say though, my practice strokes are not the same as my game strokes...

0-3
Video taken by JyeChen

2-3
Video by johtogirl

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 04/28/2011 at 5:23pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 4:43pm
all I can say is you must do your backhand that you did against the robot in real games, you must do it at every opportunity to give yourself the confindence that we see in your ability (don't worry about missing a few) because once you start landing them it will improve your whole game
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 5:05pm
how long ago were these videos? i think the only thing that's holding you back is a bit of footwork (at least from the vids). serves are really good...better than i remember them.

as long as you get those opening attacks in, you'll definitely jump up in points
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 5:20pm
These videos are were from October.  I started multi-balling in December, hopefully the footwork works a little better.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 7:25pm
Nice vids. Your technique looks good to me.
Just many errors in matches. too many. I think mainly down to reading the game. Which will improve with experience. I would like to offer some advice maybe to switch up ur game a little. Instead of going for all out hard loop most of the time. Switch it up and sacrifice some speed for more spin. Would have less errors then. But watching that vid against the chopper it looks to me that with experience u will be a very good solid player
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 7:43pm
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39387&title=new-video-edit-of-myself

To be honest u look like a better player technically than me but check out my vid anyway. You can maybe get some ideas to add to ur game :)
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
yttl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yttl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 8:23pm
Just my 2 c worth on your forehand.

The turning of the waist, blade angle, closing of forearm and contact with the ball are all excellent.  This contributes to the nice solid sound you hear (and the sound gets better and better towards the end!).  Chinese will say you have "explosive force", that you are hitting it, not brushing it.

I suppose you are practicing forehand countering or smashing against the machine.  The ready posture however, looks more like forehand loop driving.  If foreward direction is 0 deg and right side of your body is 90 deg., the starting postion of your hand is about 110-120 deg.  In height, the starting postion of your hand is just above your knee and below the table service, i.e. you have dropped your right shoulder in preparation (for loop driving).  In countering or smashing, I believe the hand should be at 90 deg and forearm should be parallel to ground with hand slightly above the table.  Then the arc of your arm in execution will be flatter and contribute even more "explosive force".  Your swing is smaller and you will have more time in preparation and hence be more accurate.  When you start your hand below the table, you will tend to lift the ball and overshoot the table on the other side, which happens a few times in the games you show.  (For loop drive, starting with the hand below the table is OK because the topsin will prematurely bring the ball down on the other side of the table). 
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 9:21pm
Serves, need to be more consistent. Some are too high. Try to link them to your game.
Your FHs look great when you pull it off in matches. Too slow in anticipating the return ball though. You need to read where the opponent is going to return the ball to by working out the angles between your ball and the opponent's position where he returns them. Move into the position then you will have more time to ready the next shot. Anticipation is a part of Footwork.
On opening loops, concentrate on placement and spin unless you are confident you can power drive them. If you lift the ball with power you might hit it long (you can do this but adjust the blade angle). You hit many long opening.
On BH like smackman said, you need to have confidence in taking them. It looks different than the one on your vid. Do the same thing but adjust the followtrough (higher for backspin balls).
One more note, you rush too much to end a point. Take your time. You don't always have to attack the 3rd ball. Try to work out the ball until you have a chance ball you can attack.
You have a good basic, you can go far.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 10:32pm
Excellent points already from the above comments. I also agree your basics are excellent. I would suggest two type of multi-ball drills if you can team up with a buddy: 1) one underspin and one top spin to simulate the real games after you attack underspin; 2) start with topspin BH, then change and finish with topspin FH. Both drills is to practice the cohesiveness between strokes. Keep going!
RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
bOOm_cORNr_sHOt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bOOm_cORNr_sHOt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 10:39pm
Jeff I think those 9-9 practice games would have complimented these videos a good deal. Your accuracy has really improved and when you're in a comfort zone it is hard to get a ball past you. Someone mentioned you should move closer to the table but I think you shouldn't. when you have more room you have more velocity and power on your strokes. I noticed when you were closer you were holding back to avoid going off the table. When you take that half step back, your new loop motion is very powerful and it is a no fear/doubt stroke. 

I'm just glad I get to practice with this young Buc who has yet to reach his ceiling.

Acoustic L-Sized FL

Acuda S3 2.0 FH & BH
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 12:28am

Thanks again guys!  I was doing some frame by frame analysis  of my FH vs. WLQ FH.  One thing that I noticed is that: he takes it earlier (duh); that my forearm snap is happening too early whereas WLQ's forearm snap is occurring at contact.  So by the time I'm hitting the ball, my arm has already slowed down a bit. Something new to work on!  I will try to put up some current videos of me playing, but here are some from last October.  You may notice that my strokes are not as nice (to be expected), footwork is off.  Hopefully when I post some new vids you guys will see a little progress.  Just to say though, my practice strokes are not the same as my game strokes...

0-3
Video taken by JyeChen

2-3
Video by johtogirl

Your forehand and backhand loops and counters have a nice form, but your forehand and backhand pushes against underspin still need a lot of work... They are -to be honest- lazy and lack quality... Low and precise pushes loaded with spin are as essential as the best serves and topspin drives to become 2000 and higher.   

I suggest you set your robot to underspin and try to push the balls back as close to the end lines as possible to: 1. Right corner 2. Center 3. Left corner.  Try to push the balls back as low as possible, keep your wrist very loose but always be mindful of the form... Precision is the key.  Try to add as much backspin as possible by feeling the ball digging into the rubber (very important).  Do this for your forehand and backhand at least 15 minutes each time.  Once you are very comfortable with this drill for both your forehand and backhand, try to push one and loop one to opposite corners.

Smile
ZJKandMLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZJKandMLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 2:33am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

0-3
Video taken by JyeChen

2-3
Video by johtogirl

Your forehand and backhand loops and counters have a nice form, but your forehand and backhand pushes against underspin still need a lot of work... They are -to be honest- lazy and lack quality... Low and precise pushes loaded with spin are as essential as the best serves and topspin drives to become 2000 and higher.   

I suggest you set your robot to underspin and try to push the balls back as close to the end lines as possible to: 1. Right corner 2. Center 3. Left corner.  Try to push the balls back as low as possible, keep your wrist very loose but always be mindful of the form... Precision is the key.  Try to add as much backspin as possible by feeling the ball digging into the rubber (very important).  Do this for your forehand and backhand at least 15 minutes each time.  Once you are very comfortable with this drill for both your forehand and backhand, try to push one and loop one to opposite corners.

Smile

I was just about to say that.  While your fh and bh is in great form and probably very destructive if you can play the same way in match, you prolly wont even get a chance to use them against 1900+ players becuz ur push is too lazy.  It is too high, and judging the way you brush the ball, its not very spinny either.  This would lead to players attacking before you and making you defend.

Btw, you lack a third ball.  Every serve you make, you need to think about how your opponent is likely to return and then set up your third ball.  If you cannot do this, no matter how many variations your service has, it is useless.

Blade: Photino
FH: Donic Acuda S1, MAX
BH: Tenergy 64, MAX
pinger123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 8:03am
Nice forehand, decent weight transfer try and take it at peak or just before peak of bounce to improve.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 11:59am
smooth mechanics. nice weight transfer. i have loads of envy :)
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 2:42pm
Jeff,
More follow-through on backhand loops, more push practice against backspin (BH and FH) with focus on keeping ball low and placement, not over-hitting the ball and *being patient* and willing to stay in the rally, are all the things that come to mind -- playing with you (in doubles), and against you :)

Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by yttl yttl wrote:

Just my 2 c worth on your forehand.

The turning of the waist, blade angle, closing of forearm and contact with the ball are all excellent.  This contributes to the nice solid sound you hear (and the sound gets better and better towards the end!).  Chinese will say you have "explosive force", that you are hitting it, not brushing it.

I suppose you are practicing forehand countering or smashing against the machine.  The ready posture however, looks more like forehand loop driving.  If foreward direction is 0 deg and right side of your body is 90 deg., the starting postion of your hand is about 110-120 deg.  In height, the starting postion of your hand is just above your knee and below the table service, i.e. you have dropped your right shoulder in preparation (for loop driving).  In countering or smashing, I believe the hand should be at 90 deg and forearm should be parallel to ground with hand slightly above the table.  Then the arc of your arm in execution will be flatter and contribute even more "explosive force".  Your swing is smaller and you will have more time in preparation and hence be more accurate.  When you start your hand below the table, you will tend to lift the ball and overshoot the table on the other side, which happens a few times in the games you show.  (For loop drive, starting with the hand below the table is OK because the topsin will prematurely bring the ball down on the other side of the table). 
  So you noticed!  I was trying to get more arc towards the end of the FH video.  I did some frame-by-frame anaylsis of this FH vid against weiTTTube's WLQ FH video.  I discovered that my forearm snap is happening before I hit the ball.  So by the time I do hit the ball my paddle has already slowed down.

Right after the tournament, I watched these videos frame by frame and I realized several things (much of what you guys have kindly pointed out- which confirms that I'm working on the right stuff!):
  • My pushes were more like "bumps"
  • Foot-work is iffy (who's footwork isn't iffy right?Tongue maybe except the Chinese national team? lol)
  • In my looping I took the ball from my hip instead of in-front of my body and the my elbow went a little high sometimes.
  • Anticipation/ball sense = no bueno.  I frequently made up my mind of where my opponent was going to hit the ball before they even hit the ball.  I usually moved before the opponent touched the ball.  This resulted in me sometimes hitting great shots, but missing a lot of the other shots (especially since the better players can change the direction of the ball, after seeing me move before they even stroke the ball).
After realizing these issues I thought about each of them individually and tried to think of solutions:
  • The FH loop: My coach helped me iron out my FH loop form wise by getting me to: keep my weight low, keep my elbow in, use forearm snap, and taking the ball earlier (it took almost a month to move my contact point from my hip to where you see it in the video!!!CryLOL).
  • Pushing: I have managed to get pushes lower after some experimenting after suggestion from my coach.  She said: "Use your fingers to generate the spin."  By doing so, if timed properly, I can get flat pushes.
  • Footwork:  lots of multiball, my coach emphasized the use of my FH to force me to move
  • Anticipation:  this is a tough one because it's linked to experience and playing time- so I tried to accelerate the process by thinking LOL.  These series of questions/solution came to mind: 
Q: Why do you not know where the ball is going?
A: You're not watching the opponent.
Q: Why don't you watch the opponent?
A: Because I'm watching how pretty my shot is and not my opponent.
Q: What should you be doing then in terms of observation of your opponent?
A: Watch the incoming ball, stroke it, immediately after contact forget about the ball and turn your eyes to the opponent.
Q: Great, so now you're doing that, what should you be observing on the opponent?
A: His/her paddle, direction head is pointed and other body language.
Q: Ok great, now when should you react?
A: Once you are sure your observations are confirmed by contact of the ball
Q: Should you rely on observation alone?
A: No, I should have a combination of observation and anticipation (keeping in mind the percentages of the shot I just made and where it might go).

Now... even after thinking about this, implementing it was difficult because I had to control myself from "wanting to hit the ball."  Even when I got to the right place, this would result in me moving too soon and mistiming my shot.  I have to force myself to not want to "pounce" on the ball and spend more time observing.  More time should iron out this issue...

A few weeks ago, I went to a tournament and realized that I should focus more on spin and placement.  Lots of players like myself focus on power (watching too much youtube and trying to copy what we see).  But from what I noticed at the tournament was that all the 2300-2400 players did not power the ball, they spun it.  It was not a battle of: "Can I blast the ball past you?", but "I'm going to out-place the ball from you".  They spun balls in at a moderate pace and moved their opponent around.  They rarely "blasted" balls past each other unless it was real juicy.

After these mental sessions with myself over the past month, I have tried to implement these ideas during training. Hopefully it will pay off.

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 01/29/2011 at 5:10pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic