FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[Video] Jeff(ATTC)'s FH and BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 9:18pm
Please note that these are my observations, and I realize that not all or any of my observations are true.  Please feel free to put in some of your experiences or observations.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 10:10pm
I think you are doing a great job of figuring out what is holding progress and look very motivated to get it done.

So many US players, especially in the 1400-1800 range, play very often, yet after years, remain in relatively the same rating. Hey, I was one of them. Not any more.

One thing you will see is that as you fix one thing, you will discover three things you could do better or is getting you killed at the next level. Not being able to consistantly flip short serves is one of those things for me right now.

Edit terrible spellingks/fat fingers.

Edited by BH-Man - 01/29/2011 at 10:12pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 10:41pm
3 things that i need to work on

- flipping short balls consistently
- bh loop drive (for me)
- bh blocks against opening loops....
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 5:51am
Jeff, I finally saw both vids. You seemed to play better vs the advanced player Oliviu. You played some nice rallies and finished some of them, especially the point where you put one past him on his BH side. Oliviu was not expecting that. In your other match, you missed a LOT of chances that should be high percentage. A lot of that looks like a matter of consistancy, which will get better in time well enough with what you are doing. i could see what you were trying to do. You had a good didea of exactly what you wanted, but were off on the timing or bat angle.

Your inconsistancy looks like I looked one year ago, about 3 months after I got here. That was the point where I started multiball lessons and shot up a level or two in a year. if you can get some live players to give you some of these rallies in practice, you will get there a little faster.

Improvement always starts out small. You see yourself landing higher % in practice on a ceretain shot. you see yourself gettting to a few more of the wide balls and landing those openers. You see yourself making some combinations you didn't make before. You see soem rallying you never did before. It doesn't always add up to points right away, yet you know you improved. With more time, you see yourself winning more of those rallies/combinations or finishes. Eventually, agains tht esame level of player, you start winning more games, then later even matches. After more time, you dominate that level and run into more things you identify with a different level and class of player opponents.

Just remember (which you probably already do a great job of already) that you don't see the results of your improvement right away, but eventually, it all leadse to points, games, matches, and levels.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Jeff, I finally saw both vids. You seemed to play better vs the advanced player Oliviu. You played some nice rallies and finished some of them, especially the point where you put one past him on his BH side. Oliviu was not expecting that. In your other match, you missed a LOT of chances that should be high percentage. A lot of that looks like a matter of consistancy, which will get better in time well enough with what you are doing. i could see what you were trying to do. You had a good didea of exactly what you wanted, but were off on the timing or bat angle.

Your inconsistancy looks like I looked one year ago, about 3 months after I got here. That was the point where I started multiball lessons and shot up a level or two in a year. if you can get some live players to give you some of these rallies in practice, you will get there a little faster.

Improvement always starts out small. You see yourself landing higher % in practice on a ceretain shot. you see yourself gettting to a few more of the wide balls and landing those openers. You see yourself making some combinations you didn't make before. You see soem rallying you never did before. It doesn't always add up to points right away, yet you know you improved. With more time, you see yourself winning more of those rallies/combinations or finishes. Eventually, agains tht esame level of player, you start winning more games, then later even matches. After more time, you dominate that level and run into more things you identify with a different level and class of player opponents.

Just remember (which you probably already do a great job of already) that you don't see the results of your improvement right away, but eventually, it all leadse to points, games, matches, and levels.
 Against higher players I have nothing to lose so there is less pressure.  Against players at my level or slightly lower there is a more pressure, because I'm afraid of missing, or screwing up.  It gets better as the tournament goes on, towards the end I'm more relaxed.

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 01/31/2011 at 10:49pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 12:51am
A recent match at the NCTTA Spring Texas Regional.

Jeff (UT Austin) vs. Yang (UTD) Game 1 (First Game Jitters)
and duchoangle (UTD) vs. Taylor (UT Austin)

Jeff (UT Austin) vs. Yang (UTD) Game 2

Jeff (UT Austin) vs. Yang (UTD) Game 3

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 02/01/2011 at 1:23am
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 7:14am
Jeff thanks for your vids, you have a good serve especially if you can variate it.  

Don't you enforce USATT/ITTF rules in the NCTTA?    2nd vid above the guy is covering up the contact point of service,  3rd vid....his racket is illegal. 

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 8:55am
I think you should practice more 3rd ball combos. Just serve only one kind of serve to a particular location, then ask your opponent to return it and loop the return. You're making way too many mistakes with your opening loops, like me now...LOL It's just a process of trying to get used to the spin of the serve returns. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80

Back to normal shape bats :(
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 10:41am
None of us were there, so we don't know. I think Jeff has some more serves up his sleeve that he isnt yet revealing for match play. He has a few players in his club who can get him to serve like your worst nightmare. I am sure he is working it. No one learned to serve overnight and be match ready with it all. However, everyone is so right in wanting Jeff to make more use of serve/attack. Jeff has the potential to really develop that aspect of his game.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 10:56am
Jeff... look at the 3rd video. 0:12-0:13
You know what is not right?You try to reach a ball on the FH side from your BH side..
You should step in with your right foot first. When the right foot is in, then you have a base foot for pivoting your body to loop. You cannot hit a loop when your right leg is airborne. It's almost impossible to hit a good loop that way cause you don't have a pivoting point.
It's different when you have your right leg in, just watch your vid.

And you need to be more confident on the BH. Better to give your all and miss rather  than make a half-hearted shot and lost the point anyway..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Jeff thanks for your vids, you have a good serve especially if you can variate it.  

Don't you enforce USATT/ITTF rules in the NCTTA?    2nd vid above the guy is covering up the contact point of service,  3rd vid....his racket is illegal. 

I didn't even notice! LOL  I guess I can consider it a challenge to keep me on my toes!!!
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 11:15am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Jeff... look at the 3rd video. 0:12-0:13
You know what is not right?You try to reach a ball on the FH side from your BH side..
You should step in with your right foot first. When the right foot is in, then you have a base foot for pivoting your body to loop. You cannot hit a loop when your right leg is airborne. It's almost impossible to hit a good loop that way cause you don't have a pivoting point.
It's different when you have your right leg in, just watch your vid.

And you need to be more confident on the BH. Better to give your all and miss rather  than make a half-hearted shot and lost the point anyway..
Yeah, I'm working on those Big smile, I also have a bad habit of using my FH to return serves which puts me in that position that you mentioned.Ouch  As for the BH I've asked my coach to incorporate it more into my training sessions.  Prior to this we've just been working on my FH.

@blahness: You're right about the serve placement, I should change it up, but I did vary the spins on my serves, side/back, pure side, topside.Big smile

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 02/01/2011 at 11:27am
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 12:16pm
@Jeff

Haha I wasn't commenting on your match, I was talking about an exercise where you just serve one kind of serve(for e.g. FH side-underspin), then ask your partner to push them back, and then you loop. This will really boost your consistency in your 3rd ball. When you're playing with slightly weaker players, you can train this as well. Just serve one type of serve and make sure your 3rd ball opening is consistent. Also if your partner is able to block your 3rd ball back, be prepared to loop another one. This are point-winning combos that you'll can rely on...

If you train using too many types of serves, you'll end up confusing yourself with all the kinds of different spin that's going back to you.

But of course, during matches just vary it as much as you can...

You have very good basics and you'll definitely get far.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80

Back to normal shape bats :(
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2011 at 2:34am
Some updated videos (on the front page) after a few months work.  Let me know what you guys think!

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 04/16/2011 at 2:35am
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2011 at 9:50am
blahness, I know you like Jeff and want him to suceed as much as anyone, but he was above this level even in 2009. He was a machine opening and his follow up attacking was strong/fast - much higher quality than even his current USATT rating. Jeff is upping his game and the match results/USATT ratings are much in lagging, yet they will mature more so than a tulip bulb in Apr/May. Unless Jeff moves away and gets an occupation that allows him zero chance at TT, he will be around Austin and be a 2000 level player before 2012 December. He already has the strokes and practice ethics.

Edited by BH-Man - 04/16/2011 at 5:35pm
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2011 at 12:39pm
Something is off with your backhand but it's hard to pinpoint what it is... My guess is that you're over rotating your arm when you backswing. My guess as to why you are over rotating it is that you are compensating for power. You don't really use torso rotation to give power to the ball with your backhand (you do it great with your forehand though so there is still hope for you LOL ).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 4:13pm
Out of curiosity, I would like to request if you guys/gals would like to post your FH/BH videos up.  I'd like to look at them for study/comparison so I can see the similarities/differences between our stroke mechanics.  Maybe I can learn from you guys/gals and incorporate parts of your strokes into mine.

Jeff(ATTC)
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
duchoangle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchoangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 10:01pm
Here's a FH warmup video when I was spending winter break in VN. My form has changed somewhat since then, but this stroke was considered "acceptable" to the coach LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d7N6sj5pY0

Donic Epox Offensiv - Tenergy 05-FX 2.1mm (BH) - Tenergy 80 2.1mm (FH) | USATT: 1831
My Videos
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Jeff(ATTC) Jeff(ATTC) wrote:

Out of curiosity, I would like to request if you guys/gals would like to post your FH/BH videos up.  I'd like to look at them for study/comparison so I can see the similarities/differences between our stroke mechanics.  Maybe I can learn from you guys/gals and incorporate parts of your strokes into mine.

Jeff(ATTC)

don't look at mine!!! it's ugly Cry
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 11:56pm
Looks solid duc!  Looks like you use a lot of elbow snap and a guy with a moped just walked through your practice areaLOL.  I'm going to have to do some youtube searching tpgh2k.  Last time I saw your look was in Vietnam, from what I remember it was working for you!
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2011 at 3:30am
noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! i think it got worse jeff....
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2011 at 4:53am
Jeff I think your FH looks good. Good timing and feel, at least in practice. In the game against the chopper you looked fine at stringing together shots too. At the end of the day the TT ball is quite small and light, so with good timing into a solid contact the ball will go fast enough to kill, and thats all thats needed. So it is somewhat unnecessary I think to try to create some sort of superoptimized monster FH stroke. It wont win you any more games, especially since for most perfectly tuned things you need to be in perfect position, and thats not really going to happen in games. TT is not golf.

I suppose more use could be made of the elbow snap, since it will make the stroke shorter and therefore easier to setup and fire off, which is really the key I think.

To get to the next level, I think you need to improve your short game, placement, consistency, and maybe practice how to control-loop those marginal shots consistently. Your FH and BH are plenty good enough. Pushblockers videos are a fantastic example of how far you can get with basically only good control, placement and experience only.

Edited by Vassily - 04/28/2011 at 4:54am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2011 at 6:21am
I just don't understand why the new generation tt players have the same service position now always serve from the backhand side where did the variation of serves go? Jeff your latest video of your FH and BH is way much better, your contact point  is more precise  but i'd like to see more consistency on the actual game don't hesitate  to apply what you practice, you will miss a point or two in the beginning but as your confidence and experience will build up you will be more consistent.goodluck.
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2011 at 5:20pm
Vassily and gatz, thanks for the input!
@Vassily: I've been emphasizing practice of my short game, particularly my pushes.  I find it hard to correctly time a long push so that it is fast and low.  I've also tried to do more control loops in my games, but I find that my form changes and the ball.  It's hard for me to use my practice strokes in games.  My footwork is not very clean, which leads to me reaching and just using my arm to stroke the ball.  I've been trying to take more time in between hits to reset into a neutral position, and watch the opponent so that I can move and use my practice strokes in games.

@gatz: I have a BH serve, but it's only for "special" situations.Big smile

Thanks again guys for the tips.  Will remember them when I train.

Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 6:26am
I believe Waldner used to practice deliberately hitting shots when out of position. Might as well practice what you actually do in games... Especially that leaning FH shot when they hit the ball at your elbow.

Nothing really all that bad to use mainly arm to hit the ball, TT is a fast sport and you wont have enough setup time. Of course you should still use some waist/legs, but I think you should try to make the big (slow) muscle movements very efficient (small but well timed), so as to make it easier to get the shot off.

Better to have a loop which takes 0.4sec to setup so you can use it 70% of the time, and consequently win the point 80% of the time, than practice a super 100% point-ending loop which takes 0.7sec to set up, so you can only use it 1% of the time.

Long push wise, the key is probably to really look like you are going to push short, and be able to change from short push to long push at the last second depending on your opponent. Long pushes are more a surprise thing I think.

When one of the chinese players came to NZ, he saw the NZ players doing loop to loop. And was so scared, was like "wtf is supposed to be a sh*tty TT country, ZOMG i better go back to China". Then he played them in a game. And won like 21-3, from his short game. They NEVER had the chance to loop.

Resetting to neutral, I am not so sure how important it is. Sure you need to be ready for the next shot, but its not like tennis where you kinda have the time to go back to the centre of the court (while still continuing your shriiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeekkkk).

Edited by Vassily - 04/29/2011 at 6:29am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 5:37pm
@ vassily: by neutral I mean getting back into a ready position.  I'm afraid I'm not fast enough to get back to center court every time.  I actually think that's a little inefficient.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 8:12pm
as requested here is a vid of a bit of FH drilling then a match.
I did post a new thread but just thought I would post it here too

Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 2:18am
It's been a while, but I've added a new video from one of my training sessions.  Having some trouble with relaxing and getting the right crossover footwork.  Comments are much appreciated.

Jeff(ATTC)
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 2:52am
I'm not advanced enough to comment on the crossmove but nice work on finally getting the contact in front.  Nice improvement on power too.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 10:46am

edit:

have your friend continue feeding after the set of 4, that way you can work on keeping your balance. you're doing pretty good on the footwork part from what i'm seeing. it's just what to do after you're forced to cross over...i think....

Edited by tpgh2k - 09/19/2011 at 10:47am
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic