Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[video] please USATT rate me or any tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [video] please USATT rate me or any tips
    Posted: 04/17/2014 at 10:02am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqEIHMkMfk

Hello, This is the best match out of 5 or 6 that i recorded, others had more mistakes, so may want to take this into consideration for rating?

NOTE : I am the one in the blue / yellow top. Im a 15 year old player in UK

As i live in UK there is no USATT rating so what would you predict me (blue/yellow shirt) and my friend (purple shirt) at?

Also any tips on how i could improve / what im doing worng? Also is tenergy the best rubber for me? I dont mind the price too much, but am i good enough for tenergy to be any use?

Thanks and looking forward to hear opinions!

Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 10:07am
I like the video editing. One thing that jumped out at me was your illegal service habit. You're letting the ball fall out of view behind your left hand.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 10:10am
Yea, this is my first time recording and that popped out to me too! I have to agree! Ill be more carefull to make sure to throw the ball up and pull my hand immediately back.

Do you  notice any other tips or wrong doings or rough USATT?
Thanks, Murray
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 10:25am
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ByeByeAbout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 10:44am
thanks for the upload

about 600-700 canadian (which is about 1700 american)

regards
rick
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 10:52am
Thanks rick
Does anyone think any higher or lower for USATT?
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 11:03am
Hi, second on the nice editing.  

I would rate you between 1400 - 1500 USATT, given that you said this is your best match out of 5 or 6, and you are playing a friend.  The USATT ratings are all from tournament matches, and most people play worse under tournament pressure against strangers than they do against friends at their club.  

You played a lot of defensive or just keeping the ball in play shots, kind of soft and high, letting your friend miss.  You also retreat from the table quite a bit.  I don't think you would be able to do that with 1700s.  And you tried several BH flip service returns, good for you, but you missed some of them, so free points to your opponent.  

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 11:31am
Looks like you 2 are very familiar with each other, so it's hard to see how good you really are.  There is not a lot of service variations, you seem to know what kind of ball is return to you, so you already set to play BH block or drive, before your opponent even hit the ball, this help you play better, but against unfamiliar, or tricky player, you maybe at their mercy.  BRS maybe correct in his rating estimate.
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 11:56am
yea, despite the fact we have probably only played each other for a total of ~12 hours i think we play quite similar. 

I worded that wrong. That was the best set out of our best of 7 (i won 2 sets, he won 4) - none were way worse or way better though.

I would be very appreciative if anyone would be willing to watch a this 3 minute clip (its the best points out of 30-40min best of 7) and if you have any USATT number thoughts or tips?

Thanks, murray

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 12:13pm
honestly murray...i wouldn't get too caught up with "ratings' as they tend to be quite regional.   we have "2000"  (alllegedly) rated american players coming to our clubs in vancouver all the time and they get their a$$ handed to them by 12 yr olds rated 600.     this is an extremely common theme.

i would just focus on working on your game.  

lastly, the only sensible american person i have ever heard talk about ratings is danny seemiller....apparently if he hears any of his students even bring up the subject of ratings they are banned from training with him.    that's a smart guy if you ask me.  fwiw...i jumped 900+ rating pts in the last yr alone by focusing primarily on serve and serve return.....a bit boring but the results were/are nothing short of spectacular....

regards
rick
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 12:19pm
Honestly I wouldn't get too caught up in rating. I think it can set preconceived notions in your head whether or not you're going to win or lose a match.

Since you asked, honestly you seem to be on the level with several players at our club so I would say 1200-1300. Not trying to be mean. Simply what I see.

I think 1400-1500 as stated earlier is a little on the generous side. Take Dave here from our club who is rated 1493 according to ratingscentral.com

He's in the bright red and a cerebral all around type of player.

Now onto the more important stuff. Takeaways from your game. 

I'm a penholder so that might effect my outlook but I'd like to see a little more aggression or power play. The good news is you're 15 so that'll come in time but when I first saw it I thought "strokes look a little robotic." Then a second later I'd see a pretty forehand. 

From your video:
Nice forehand. - 2:12 (good stuff)

Then at 2:22... ?  Why camp at the middle of the table passively blocking that ball in play? You're in position to rip that backhand or step around for a big forehand. You lost that point by the way when you were in prime position to finish it off. IMO you camp in the middle of the table simply blocking a pinch too much.

Your consistency looks pretty good to me as far as keeping the ball in play. That's a valuable skill to have.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by suds79 - 04/17/2014 at 12:22pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Honestly I wouldn't get too caught up in rating. I think it can set preconceived notions in your head whether or not you're going to win or lose a match.

Since you asked, honestly you seem to be on the level with several players at our club so I would say 1200-1300. Not trying to be mean. Simply what I see.

I think 1400-1500 as stated earlier is a little on the generous side. Take Dave here from our club who is rated 1493 according to ratingscentral.com

I'm a penholder so that might effect my outlook but I'd like to see a little more aggression or power play. The good news is you're 15 so that'll come in time but when I first saw it I thought "strokes look a little robotic." Then a second later I'd see a pretty forehand. 

From your video:

Then at 2:22... ?  Why camp at the middle of the table passively blocking that ball in play? You're in position to rip that backhand or step around for a big forehand. You lost that point by the way when you were in prime position to finish it off. IMO you camp in the middle of the table simply blocking a pinch too much.

Your consistency looks pretty good to me as far as keeping the ball in play. That's a valuable skill to have.

Just my 2 cents.

further to my point...."Dave" would be approx 400-500 in Vancouver, Canada....as he is a complete beginner.

regards
Rick
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

thanks for the upload

regards
rick

Could anybody put down the equivalency between the two rating systems, eg 1000 Cdn = xxUS; 1300 Cdn = etc.  And why the big discrepancy?
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

thanks for the upload

regards
rick

Could anybody put down the equivalency between the two rating systems, eg 1000 Cdn = xxUS; 1300 Cdn = etc.  And why the big discrepancy?

TTCAN / USATT  Ratings Conversion Formula

To convert a USA rating to a Canadian one, use the following formulas which are used for the various ranges of American ratings.

• For USA ratings from 0 to 899: equals 100 CDN

• For USA ratings from 900 to 1799: Multiply US rating by 1.667 then subtract 950 = CDN

• For USA ratings over 1800: Multiply US rating by 2.6667 then subtract 3650 = CDN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

thanks for the upload

regards
rick

To convert a USA rating to a Canadian one, use the following formulas which are used for the various ranges of American ratings.

• For USA ratings from 900 to 1799: Multiply US rating by 1.667 then subtract 950 = CDN

• For USA ratings over 1800: Multiply US rating by 2.6667 then subtract 3650 = CDN

you're not going to like the answer but it stems from Americans having an inflated sense of ego.  they will do anything to make themselves seem more than they really are.    they are a very "rewards" centered society....  saying you're rated "2000" just has a better ring to it than "800".

i can pick 5 random juniors from my club rated 700-800 and have a round robin against american players rated 1800 and trust me, the smart money in on the junior canadians....to compare one system against the other is akin to comparing apples to oranges.

regards
rick
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 1:12pm

thanks for the upload

regards
rick

great to have a conversion table, but is there a typo?
1700 US x 1.667-950= 1883
1800 US x 2.6667-3650 = 1150?
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 1:23pm

you're not going to like the answer but it stems from Americans having an inflated sense of ego.  they will do anything to make themselves seem more than they really are.    they are a very "rewards" centered society....  saying you're rated "2000" just has a better ring to it than "800".

i can pick 5 random juniors from my club rated 700-800 and have a round robin against american players rated 1800 and trust me, the smart money in on the junior canadians....to compare one system against the other is akin to comparing apples to oranges.

regards
rick

Honestly I think there's a bit of generalizing going on here. 

Do I doubt you've run into Americans who have an inflated sense of ego? I'm sure you have. What's that sample size? 10 people that you can think of? 20?... 1000? ;)

The best player at our club has won our state games competition 9 out of the last 10 years, is in his 40s and trained as a child in Europe with professional academy. Long story short, he's a very good player by all accounts. I've never once heard him talk about his rating and he's one of the nicest guys around. 

All I'm saying is be careful when painting with a broad brush categorizing a certain type of people.

Edited by suds79 - 04/17/2014 at 1:23pm
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 1:27pm

From your video:

Just my 2 cents.

further to my point...."Dave" would be approx 400-500 in Vancouver, Canada....as he is a complete beginner.

regards
Rick

I know my strokes are robotic, im having a really hard time fixing it though! got any tips or exersises i can do to try fix it (i probably need more elbow movement too). 

And i found that in the previous match i did far worse by attack and missing, then in this one i started close blocking on my backhand more and suddenly i was doing far better by the score board. Is it better to risk the attack than block against players like this (player that i know will attack when i block, and are likely to attack faster than they can and miss eventually)?

Thanks, Murray
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 1:28pm
Mid 1300's to  about 1500 depending on WHERE in the USA..
In Northern California, that level would be 1300's at best..
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 1:39pm

regards
rick

Honestly I think there's a bit of generalizing going on here. 

Do I doubt you've run into Americans who have an inflated sense of ego? I'm sure you have. What's that sample size? 10 people that you can think of? 20?... 1000? ;)

The best player at our club has won our state games competition 9 out of the last 10 years, is in his 40s and trained as a child in Europe with professional academy. Long story short, he's a very good player by all accounts. I've never once heard him talk about his rating and he's one of the nicest guys around. 

All I'm saying is be careful when painting with a broad brush categorizing a certain type of people.

america's economy plumeted as a result of people defaulting on their mortgage.   hey...here's a house  (reward..stroking ego) yet all the people with loans (10's of millions of people) didn't work hard enough to make the payments back....

that doesn't happen anywhere else on earth because the inflated sense of ego and entitlement exists only in america...

it's the same attitude that permeates this culture that gives (rewards..strokes ego) with a rating of 2000 when the rest of the world says 800.....same story ...

regards
rick
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:06pm

...doesn't happen anywhere else on earth because the inflated sense of ego and entitlement exists only in america...

LULZ... youz a funny cat. LOL
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:08pm

america's economy plumeted as a result of people defaulting on their mortgage.   hey...here's a house  (reward..stroking ego) yet all the people with loans (10's of millions of people) didn't work hard enough to make the payments back....

that doesn't happen anywhere else on earth because the inflated sense of ego and entitlement exists only in america...

it's the same attitude that permeates this culture that gives (rewards..strokes ego) with a rating of 2000 when the rest of the world says 800.....same story ...

regards
rick

Woah that was from way out in left field. Took it political talking housing market in a table tennis forum.

Kinda feel like you're defeating your own argument by letting your personal feelings get in the way. We get it. you're anti American. Read you loud and clear. 
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:15pm

That's nonsense.  The top rated Canadian is Eugene Wang with a TTCAN rating of 3952 and USATT rating of 2802.  The top rated US player is Kewei Li whose USATT rating is 2755.  Kewei defeated Eugene at the 2014 Cary Cup recently.  If anything, the Canadian system gives one an inflated ego.  Tongue
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:59pm
You are a lot more steady than players in the USATT 1300-1500 range, not nearly as reckless or wild. I'll go with that range for now, that should be just about right if you play a lot of tourneys vs a lot of that level of crowd. You only seem to bee too wild on BH on serve receive. You might improve greatly in the future if you can be in a real club with real coach with real league or tourney system. You got a lot of room to improve and a lot of the ingredients in you if you can get effective coaching.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

That's nonsense.  The top rated Canadian is Eugene Wang with a TTCAN rating of 3952 and USATT rating of 2802.  The top rated US player is Kewei Li whose USATT rating is 2755.  Kewei defeated Eugene at the 2014 Cary Cup recently.  If anything, the Canadian system gives one an inflated ego.  Tongue
"Kewei defeated Eugene at the 2014 Cary Cup recently" -by stating the above, you have lowered your credibility and objectiveness.  Beating someone once does not reveal the true comparative level of the two players.  I have not followed the career of Li but doesn't Eugene win most of the North American titles?  So what does the quoted sentence really reveal or add to your argument?
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 3:36pm

thanks for the upload

regards
rick

Perhaps the bottom one should be:

• For USA ratings over 1800: Multiply US rating by 2.6667 then subtract 2750 = CDN

I don't know... I just saw this somewhere else. I've never actually used it. Sorry.

=========

EDIT: I just put in some numbers and can tell that doesn't work either. Some these conversions must not really work (duh).

Edited by Pondus - 04/17/2014 at 3:41pm
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 3:59pm
here's some of my observations:

1) BH flick - you can slow down your motion and wait for the ball to come in more, focus on spinning it rather crushing it

2) FH loop drive - it's a great stroke, but you dont really get back to ready position, you seem to stare at your shot like "man that was an amazing shot". i only saw it happen twice, but the other guy blocked it back and you were caught off guard and out of position, so be sure to get back and ready after each shot

3) BH block - you seem to favor a block on your BH and that's okay and your block is fairly consistent (given the 2mins of video)

4) Smashing - you missed 1-2 smashes and that's just something you have to practice.

5) Step-around forehand - you did this a few times and it was good, try to do it more because your forehand is just stronger than your backhand.

In terms of rating, i agree with others, just dont worry about it too much. In the mid-west you're probably 1300-1400. But you are still developing as a player so i would just work on strokes and gameplay, worry about ratings later.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 4:11pm

thanks for the upload

regards
rick

Perhaps the bottom one should be:

• For USA ratings over 1800: Multiply US rating by 2.6667 then subtract 2750 = CDN

I don't know... I just saw this somewhere else. I've never actually used it. Sorry.

=========

EDIT: I just put in some numbers and can tell that doesn't work either. Some these conversions must not really work (duh).

thank you regardless

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 4:59pm

regards
rick

Woah that was from way out in left field. Took it political talking housing market in a table tennis forum.

Kinda feel like you're defeating your own argument by letting your personal feelings get in the way. We get it. you're anti American. Read you loud and clear. 

i was merely pointing out an attitude the exists in a certain culture that leads the citizens to behave in a certain way. 

regards
rick
murraylp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraylp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 5:02pm
Back to table tennis? LOL
Got any tips or exersises i can do to try fix robotic like forehand? (i probably need more elbow movement too). 

And i found that in the previous match i did far worse by attacking more and missing, then in this one i started close blocking on my backhand more and suddenly i was doing far better by the score board. Is it better to risk the attack than block against players like this (player that i know will attack when i block, and are likely to attack faster than they can and miss eventually)?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic