FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Wang Tao serve training

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wang Tao serve training
    Posted: 12/20/2011 at 5:01pm
Just saw this vid on youtube:

Can any of you guys tell the difference between side-top and side-under from his racket motion? I have no clue even looking at the slow-mo from the side-viewing angle...

Start to 1:40 side-top, 1:40 to 3:13 side-under, after 3:13 3rd ball training.

Edited by ZingyDNA - 12/20/2011 at 5:02pm
Sponsored Links

Called A Topspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 6:24am
topspin you go up backspin you go down. takes time.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Called A Topspin Called A Topspin wrote:

I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

He means that, You can see him go down against the ball, when its backspin.
When its topspin, you can see him brush up on the back of the ball. 
remmpfremm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remmpfremm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 5:50pm
Must admit that I also do not see the difference clearly, not even in the slow motion
(that has a lot to do with Wang Tao's  quality as a player, of course),
but I think things are as follows:

1) There is not much difference in the shape of the total motion, but there probably is a difference
in the exact time of the  contact (blade moving more down or more up at the point of contact),
and in the intensity of going under the ball. 

2) The toss is above head hight,  which means that even without much upward movement of the blade, the falling energy will be partially transformed into  topspin if there is no 
`chopping under the ball' movement.

3)  These serves  have probably neither extreme backspin nor extreme topspin,
     the point is more that  they look so similar and then there is the hard to read variation between, 
     say,    
                 30% of possible maximum backspin and
                 30% of possible maximum topspin. 

B.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 6:10pm
Don't worry about it they are all illegal!

I can't see the difference in motion -  but is it possible to figure out the spin based on the first bounce of the ball on his side? 
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

He means that, You can see him go down against the ball, when its backspin.
When its topspin, you can see him brush up on the back of the ball. 

Confused I can't really tell if he's brushing up or down at the moment he contacts the ball...

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Don't worry about it they are all illegal!

I can't see the difference in motion -  but is it possible to figure out the spin based on the first bounce of the ball on his side? 

Well, I'm looking at the slow motion with the ball contact clearly visible, so him hiding the ball is irrelevant. You're right on looking at the bounces, though. Both bounces on his and the other side of the table and the ball trajectory before and after the bounces. That's the only way I can tell.

BTW, I gave the answer on which serves are side-top, which are side-back spin in my original post Wink
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by remmpfremm remmpfremm wrote:

1) There is not much difference in the shape of the total motion, but there probably is a difference
in the exact time of the  contact (blade moving more down or more up at the point of contact),
and in the intensity of going under the ball. 

2) The toss is above head hight,  which means that even without much upward movement of the blade, the falling energy will be partially transformed into  topspin if there is no 
`chopping under the ball' movement.

3)  These serves  have probably neither extreme backspin nor extreme topspin,
     the point is more that  they look so similar and then there is the hard to read variation between, 
     say,    
                 30% of possible maximum backspin and
                 30% of possible maximum topspin. 

I agree with you on the first two points. You're probably right on the 3rd point also. I guess at Wang Tao's level he just needs slight misread of spin to put the ball away or at least gain a significant advantage. And 30% of his max spin is probably a lot to us!
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 8:12am
It's easy to see the spin from the side, if it's backspin the wrist goes down, causing the bat to dig underneath the ball, if it's topspin the wrist is going up, but he has a deceptive arm motion going downwards. If there is slowmo on the front I believe I'll be able to read it. 

The worst serves to read are Ma Lin's, RSM and Chen Qi's serves, with those I have no idea what sort of spin they impart onto the ball even when watching them in slowmo... 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 4:42pm
Brush ball upwards for topspin downward for underspin. That's what the name of the spin suggests? Really? Why the questions
Blades: Donic Epox Carbotec AN 78g/ Jonyer Hinoki FL 72g
Rubbers: FH Tenergy 05 Red 2.1mm/Sriver EL 1.8mm
               BH Tenergy 05 Black 2.1mm/Sriver FX 1.5mm  
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by A Touch A Touch wrote:

Brush ball upwards for topspin downward for underspin. That's what the name of the spin suggests? Really? Why the questions

lol yeah right why would anyone, including the pros, make any service return errors!
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 2:35pm
Just to complement this thread with RSM's services:

Edited by dingyibvs - 12/23/2011 at 2:55pm
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 3:33pm
It does not matter anyway, these serves are before the rule change, he's shielding with his free arm, and incidentally, it was widely regarded that Waldner had the most deceitful serves of that era.    
The Older I get, The better I was.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

It does not matter anyway, these serves are before the rule change, he's shielding with his free arm, and incidentally, it was widely regarded that Waldner had the most deceitful serves of that era.    

Would you be able to read it if his free arm is out of the way? And please, don't bring Waldner into this thread as it's irrelevant. It's only gonna bring arguments because someone's gonna say Liu Guoliang had the most deceptive serves, etc.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 7:00pm

Would you be able to read it if his free arm is out of the way? And please, don't bring Waldner into this thread as it's irrelevant. It's only gonna bring arguments because someone's gonna say Liu Guoliang had the most deceptive serves, etc.

I only brought Waldner in because of the comments that RSM, Ma Lin and Chen Qui had the most deceptive serves. Why ask me if I could read his serves? he's shielding the contact point, which does not help, that's why they changed the rules. 
They all look to be pure side and side/chop, I can't see any side/ top at all. You wouldn't know would you, you've already said that you can't tell.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 7:02pm
Waldner? More deceptive than Liu on serves? Surely that's a joke. Do you see Liu missing 5 serves in a row against Waldner because he doesn't know how to return them? The answer to that is no.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 7:05pm
here we go...
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 7:22pm

[QUOTE=ZingyDNA]

I only brought Waldner in because of the comments that RSM, Ma Lin and Chen Qui had the most deceptive serves. Why ask me if I could read his serves? he's shielding the contact point, which does not help, that's why they changed the rules. 
They all look to be pure side and side/chop, I can't see any side/ top at all. You wouldn't know would you, you've already said that you can't tell.

I know these serves have either side-top or side-under because the Chinese captions in the vid told me so! They also told me when he's serving side-top and when it's side-under. They filmed at different angles. You can see the ball at some angles despite he's shielding it. If you can't tell side-top from side-under from those angles in slow motion, you won't be able to read that serve even if he's not hiding it. Geez, why do people make such a big fuss about him hiding the ball? That's totally missing the point, which is to study his deceptive serve technique.

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 11:32pm

The Chinese captions below tell you if it's side-top or side-under, they also had someone receive his services as if they were all side-unders to show you the effect later in the video.  On the RSM vids I posted, he's also serving side-top in one and side-under in another.  They're simply hard-to-read services even without a shielding arm and heck, even in slow-mo.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
xzws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xzws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Just to complement this thread with RSM's services:

Is the first one topspin & the second one backspin?

It would be interesting to let people vote on this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic