Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was this kid's technique really wrong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was this kid's technique really wrong
    Posted: 10/28/2013 at 1:04pm
OK, this has been discussed a bit on another forum, but:

The coach is quite a high level guy but was this kid's technique wrong enough to deserve an amendment?

Edited by slevin - 10/28/2013 at 1:07pm
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 1:09pm
I wouldn't use the term "wrong."  I would say that the kid's technique was still open to refinement.  Isn't everybody's?

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 1:30pm
He's not really critiquing his technique, per say, but helping refine some timing/weight distribution issues.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

He's not really critiquing his technique, per say, but helping refine some timing/weight distribution issues.

IMO, the kid's reach / power constraints mean that his stroke is more doable / optimal as opposed to playing that late in the FH to BH side movement. WS's technique seems to be more optimal for adults to me.

Of course, admittedly this opinion comes from a guy rated about 4000 points below that coach so we know who's most likely wrong... Smile
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

The coach is quite a high level guy but was this kid's technique wrong enough to deserve an amendment?
The kid probably came to the Werner Schlager to learn how to be a pro. That's what Schlager was showing him. If they were playing at full speed, the FH technique he was doing recovered too slow to get back to backhand in time to make an active shot again.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 1:48pm
As per above it is not about wrong. But rather teaching the kid to shift body weight to left/bh side.

I have seen many coaches only teach hitting the ball in 1 position, but not able to shift towards left or right (bh or fh side), thus the movement is not smooth and requires an extra movement to adjust for the next stroke - aka too slow for high level play.

IMO, kids need to learn all movements options, and they can decide when to use what.

Edit:
Something simliar that I did - getting the movement from right to left.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=131579967005234

Edited by ZApenholder - 10/28/2013 at 1:58pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

IMO, kids need to learn all movements options, and they can decide when to use what.

And when to use it.  
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

And when to use it.  

But it is not singular, there is 4 different movements, so that is why I said "what", and not "it".
Could we use "it" for singular things?
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 2:05pm
LOL. Schlager is trying to teach his anomalous fh technique to the poor kid. Schlager does not use his torso, only the arm. But this is something that can work only for him. The kid already has good classic technique, ZJK style.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

LOL. Schlager is trying to teach his anomalous fh technique to the poor kid. Schlager does not use his torso, only the arm. But this is something that can work only for him. The kid already has good classic technique, ZJK style.

Schlager's initial comment from the about.com discussion where this was hashed out.

"Hello TT-friends,

First of all, it surprises me that nobody asks the important questions. Because, without an answer to that question, any comment is of little value. So:

Q: So, what is the idea behind my advice?
A: To sharpen the mind for using the body weight for all strokes more consciously.

Q: Why to use the bodyweight for all strokes as much as possible (and important: when necessary)?
A: To decrease the power necessary (for the stroke) from other body parts (lower-, upper arm, shoulder)

Q: Why shouldn´t i play only out of the arm/shoulder?
A: You have to move anyway, so it would be clever to use huge part of the energy the body needs for moving for the stroke itself. Also the less power you use out of the arm/shoulder (not enough for really strong shots anyway and power quickly decreases), the more often and more precise you can hit if you reduce the power used by the arm/shoulder.

Q: I teach my students to stand narrow. is it good or bad?
A: The more wide they stand, the more body weight they can shift each stroke and the stronger a stroke can be played. The player who stands narrow often starts to jump instead of just making a step. And while jumping it is obviously quite difficult to alter the direction if the ball is played in the "wrong" direction. Changing the direction of a step (one leg always in contact with the floor) is possible anytime, when necessary. Also jumping is a bigger change in height, so control of point of contact with the ball is going to be more difficult. I would suggest therefore a more wide stand.

Q: Why else is it necessary to optimize the use of my energy for hitting the ball?
A: Because sooner or later i will have troubles to follow the speed of the game if i do not use the time for the positioning of my body with the time for hitting the ball. This is actually the biggest problem in the transition from youth/junior to the adult level of the game. 

Q: So TT is basically a search for the most efficient use of body energy for a sequence of moving and hitting a 40mm ball...
A: exactly ;)

Q: Don Olsen said, you are nuts. Is this true?
A: Well. I don´t know. But i usually do explain why i have an opinion. And i would be more than happy to hear his reason for calling me nuts...

regards,

Werner"
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 2:51pm
I guess if a world champion gives you advise - best thing to do is to "listen" and "write it down"!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 3:10pm
schlager's style is impressive, he barely moves and his shots have so much power.
he could keep on doing that exercise for half an hour.

compare this to the chinese style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7KuF67wlwI

their style is more mainstream but after doing this for 3 minutes you are already quite tired.

actually what schlager tells you not to do (jump) is the first thing the chinese coach tells you to do in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9ThmrBNFY
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I guess if a world champion gives you advise - best thing to do is to "listen" and "write it down"!

Yep.

After reading your comments, I went back and looked at the video and can see what you are saying.  You are using the motion and energy of  the forehand stroke to bring you into position for the backhand stroke and the backhand stroke motion is also used to help put you into the right postion for the forehand stroke. 

So here's my question:  How does this help you in a game situation when you don't really know where the next ball is coming?  Or maybe the bigger point is to recognize that reading your opponent and anticipating where the next shot is going is extremely important?

Jay Turberville

The "one-one" exercise is kind of an "extreme" situation, where one can easily learn the importance of using the body weight for the stroke.

In the real game it is very important to read the opponent- as you say- to apply this technic as good as possible. If i have time to, i apply it. If i have less time (or a ball is going to the same corner again), then you step (swing your body weight from your left leg after your VH) again back to the same corner (weight on your right leg) and step again back to your left leg (body weight transfers to the left while hitting the ball) again.

The important physics principle behind it is the pendulum. Everybody knows, that it is very energy efficient to swing a pendulum. And it is much easier to alter the direction of a pendulum (here the center my body weight in doing steps from my left leg to my right leg and so on) than to accelerate a pendulum (here my body) and stop it and accelerate and stop it and again and again.

This is the trick how good players play almost always a powerful stroke despite in really difficult position. The pendulum is swinging. Always try to include the stroke in the direction of the swing (step). Then you play efficient, powerful, quick.

Because in modern tabletennis it is rare to get the ball in the same corner again (the only situation where i have to use energy to force my body weight in the exact opposite direction- worst situation) it is the most common and efficient footwork technic.

regards,

Werner

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

schlager's style is impressive, he barely moves and his shots have so much power.

their style is more mainstream but after doing this for 3 minutes you are already quite tired.

actually what schlager tells you not to do (jump) is the first thing the chinese coach tells you to do in this video

With all due respect, I think you are complety wrong regarding those 2 videos.
Both Schalger and those 2 videos are talking about the same thing Wink

Edited by ZApenholder - 10/28/2013 at 3:21pm
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 3:34pm

I'm glad I can see a difference where you see the same thing LOL
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 3:37pm

Good for you, so you care to enlighten me?
What exactly in the Chinese videos that is oppersite or not the same?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Schlager's initial comment from the about.com discussion where this was hashed out.

"Hello TT-friends,

First of all, it surprises me that nobody asks the important questions. Because, without an answer to that question, any comment is of little value. So:

Q: So, what is the idea behind my advice?
A: To sharpen the mind for using the body weight for all strokes more consciously.

Q: Why to use the bodyweight for all strokes as much as possible (and important: when necessary)?
A: To decrease the power necessary (for the stroke) from other body parts (lower-, upper arm, shoulder)

Q: Why shouldn´t i play only out of the arm/shoulder?
A: You have to move anyway, so it would be clever to use huge part of the energy the body needs for moving for the stroke itself. Also the less power you use out of the arm/shoulder (not enough for really strong shots anyway and power quickly decreases), the more often and more precise you can hit if you reduce the power used by the arm/shoulder.

Q: I teach my students to stand narrow. is it good or bad?
A: The more wide they stand, the more body weight they can shift each stroke and the stronger a stroke can be played. The player who stands narrow often starts to jump instead of just making a step. And while jumping it is obviously quite difficult to alter the direction if the ball is played in the "wrong" direction. Changing the direction of a step (one leg always in contact with the floor) is possible anytime, when necessary. Also jumping is a bigger change in height, so control of point of contact with the ball is going to be more difficult. I would suggest therefore a more wide stand.

Q: Why else is it necessary to optimize the use of my energy for hitting the ball?
A: Because sooner or later i will have troubles to follow the speed of the game if i do not use the time for the positioning of my body with the time for hitting the ball. This is actually the biggest problem in the transition from youth/junior to the adult level of the game. 

Q: So TT is basically a search for the most efficient use of body energy for a sequence of moving and hitting a 40mm ball...

Q: Don Olsen said, you are nuts. Is this true?
A: Well. I don´t know. But i usually do explain why i have an opinion. And i would be more than happy to hear his reason for calling me nuts...

regards,

Werner"

Thanks for posting this.  now I need to think deeply about it and see if I can feel what he is saying next time I play so that I can then figure out a way to train it.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 5:51pm

Good for you, so you care to enlighten me?
What exactly in the Chinese videos that is oppersite or not the same?

to me the way schlager does it he is almost like walking.
he even says "move one feet at a time, one feet always on floor".
this resembles more the movement of a pendulum /-----\

the way the chinese do it is almost like they were mounting a horse and there legs couldn't close.
that's why the coach says "lilttle jump! little jump!" all the time.
if your legs arewide open and you can't close them the only way to move is to make a little "jump".

this instead of creating the serpenteideous flow of schlager's movement like this /-----\ which is very economic creates something like this /\/\/\ which consumes more energy.

you can even translate this to a whole philosophy on how to play the game.
schlager philosophy as he says himself is economy of movement and energy:

the philosophy of the chinese guy is always be in movement, and always have high energy.

Edited by puppy412 - 10/28/2013 at 5:58pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  now I need to think deeply about it and see if I can feel what he is saying next time I play so that I can then figure out a way to train it.

It took me a while to realise what I was taught and what I saw and the differences, especailly since I started coaching last year I started to put the puzzle together and saw the lack of some foundation and for me to decide on focusing on footwork movements for a long time with my students.

I didn't get any coaching course, so my knowledge comes from memories as a student before.
At times I would chat to some senior coaches and learn from them.
When I was a student, I didn't understand the meanins of why I learnt this or that, but then when I became a coach, I realise what the students are missing.

What Schalger is commenting here, I believe is coming from Chinese style of footwork movement.
So i'm hoping to give you my take on Schalgers explaination, and hopefully it will be clearly to you. Please do let me know if it makes sense and works Tongue

1) Normal FH action is a steady, in the same position, in the same radius, rotation movement. It is fine for FH to FH rally, or far from table play, however for close to the table play, players will be in trouble by poor movement. So Normal is "first" kind of movement.

2) This is movement to the left. Where the main focus is that once the shot is completed, the entire body weight is landed onto the left feet (right hander). The purpose is that the weight is now on the left side of your body/foot, and if you wish to continue on the left side, it will be much faster. Another reason for this is if the ball comes too close to your body, your left feet must move out to give you space for a kind of "inside out" shot.

3) This is movement to the right, same is number 2, and it is to bring more weight behind the ball and to use body weight to help cover a far reach shot and to still add power into what normally will be a soft return. This is also effective if your next action is going towards the right, as your body weight is already leaning on the right foot.

Here is a bit of 2 in the front (moving left), and 3.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=205933749569855

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=205954799567750
My goal is for her to land onto right foot and continue from there.
However the FH to BH transition is different than OP video (focusing on bringing to left only).
This transition is to shoot your body out from right feet, to land onto left feet and conduct the stroke in one movement.

I don't think I have a video simliar to OP, about incorporating 2 and BH, but the theory is all the same.

So Schalger is talking about weight transfer, and using the last part of your transfer to be the "new take off position", than oppose to compelete, go back to ready then start. Thus is whole point is move in 1 motion, and don't do extra moves, to save time and can even get more power.

PS Cheyenne just came back from exams, so she had no TT in 5 weeks so that was her first session (aka very rusty)

Edited by ZApenholder - 10/28/2013 at 6:18pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 6:20pm
Puppy412,

I still believe what Schalager is saying is the same as what Chinese footwork fundementals is about.
See my explantion to Baal.
I personally see no differents.

Regarding Schalger walking....I walk too when demotrating to my students. I don't have luxtury of practice partners to demo for me Tongue
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 6:22pm

Puppy412,

I still believe what Schalager is saying is the same as what Chinese footwork fundementals is about.

Regarding Schalger walking....I walk too when demotrating to my students. I don't have luxtury of practice partners to demo for me Tongue

well I tried my best....
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 6:23pm

Puppy412,

well I tried my best....

Thanks
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 7:10pm

Puppy412,

Note that the two drills are different and that the target "audience" is perhaps different as well.

I think Schlager is emphasizing weight transfer and how to use energy efficiently. The Chinese coach is emphasizing keeping your feet moving.  Neither necessarily excludes or contradicts the other.  It doesn't have to be "either or."

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Puppy412,

Note that the two drills are different and that the target "audience" is perhaps different as well.

I think Schlager is emphasizing weight transfer and how to use energy efficiently. The Chinese coach is emphasizing keeping your feet moving.  Neither necessarily excludes or contradicts the other.  It doesn't have to be "either or."

But, the feet moving is making weight transfer.....
Euro style of play remains gravity at centre, chinese style of player is always moving with the feet
This is why I say both as the sample thing/principle

Reason for this is, Chinese is smaller and weaker, so need to use whole body to hit the ball - chinese style. (Every time a feet is landing, the weight transfer is shifted)
European is bigger and stronger, so they establish centre weight to hit the ball, but can't play close to table due to insuffient time

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 9:07pm
so zap, what kind of footwork is the kid doing and why did ws correct him?
or you disagree with ws?
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 9:46pm
looks to me WS was trying to tell the kid to loops and gets to bh position in 1 smooth motion, rather than loops, stops, then moves. If you look at the video of the Chinese guy, he sorts of doing the somethings, loops and get into bh position in one single move.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 9:53pm
There may be different reasons for this advice at that time
for example the boy lost some matches where he was fluent enough, or was ball watching too much, or the boys personel coach wanted some advice on how to make his students transition better

it just one more peice of advice a young player can collect and store and use
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 9:59pm

so zap, what kind of footwork is the kid doing and why did ws correct him?
or you disagree with ws?

WS was teaching the kid how to trim down on the steps the kid was doing when doing the drill. He was telling him to transition to backhand already while he was doing his forehand stroke. which for people who plays table tennis as a profession would not find it a hard thing to do. since they don't need to be doing step by step strokes anymore. Hence they are called Professionals. :P
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:01pm

In my opinion, the coach's technique adjustment was inappropriate for the kid due to his size.

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:06pm
Mhnh007, Smackman, Collins.latag
Yes, I agree with you guys.

Puppy, you can read my first post here. I've answered the question you asked around 9 hours ago already, and detailed explantion, I have added another long post for that purpose too.

And it is not about agree or disagree.
You get many ways to play table tennis, and for a kid that want to make it to the top, should train with "harder" method during a young age.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic