Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was this kid's technique really wrong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

In my opinion, the coach's technique adjustment was inappropriate for the kid due to his size.

Size does not matter. Its technique. Its not like the kid is a beginner or is just an intermediate player in the first place. Besides cutting down on the steps gives the kid more time to fluidly hit the balls rather than that of pausing on each shot.
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
Sponsored Links

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:20pm
what calls my attention is how fast the kid has to move and how slow ws moves and yet the resulting shots are similar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

schlager's style is impressive, he barely moves and his shots have so much power.
he could keep on doing that exercise for half an hour.

compare this to the chinese style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7KuF67wlwI

their style is more mainstream but after doing this for 3 minutes you are already quite tired.

actually what schlager tells you not to do (jump) is the first thing the chinese coach tells you to do in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9ThmrBNFY

With all due respect, I think you are complety wrong regarding those 2 videos.
Both Schalger and those 2 videos are talking about the same thing Wink

I totally agree with Zap, besides, all the videos are doing completely different drills. and do pay attention to what type of audience is there. The kid in this topic is a very high leveled player already while the audience of the lecturer of the other videos are leveled lower (and I am not pertaining to their coaches).
PPisLife

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:22pm

what calls my attention is how fast the kid has to move and how slow ws moves and yet the resulting shots are similar

You should be looking at the feet, not the upper body to see the differences.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:25pm

The kid needed to move faster because of his size. And what WS technique offers is more time for the kid to execute heavier topspin shots by not pausing on each stroke made but instead moving towards the backhand side while executing the forehand. 
PPisLife

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:31pm

yep ws barely moves feet.

kid moves so much and so fast that you go WOW!!!
but the resulting shot is the same from both.

actually this happened once to me while training.
this regular guy was training and seemed like ok but was missing some balls.
then coach came and said "its easy!" and he moved like ws, one step at a time and slow, but for some reason he was making the same or better shots than the other guy who seemed to be moving faster and putting more energy into it.

Edited by puppy412 - 10/28/2013 at 10:39pm
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:41pm
In the real game it is very important to read the opponent- as you say- to apply this technic as good as possible. If i have time to, i apply it. If i have less time (or a ball is going to the same corner again), then you step (swing your body weight from your left leg after your VH) again back to the same corner (weight on your right leg) and step again back to your left leg (body weight transfers to the left while hitting the ball) again.

This is the important thing with this discussion. Schlager said it himself, He's teaching the kid a professional concept. This is a big thing when going from junior to professional he says. 

The line "If I have time" 

You can't play like this in a match without the skills of fast feet to back it up (which isn't being taught to future pros, but to club players in the video) They are preaching to different audiences. Schlager can (could) move like that sure. He was a top player for many years. But You save it for when you need it, you don't play it all the time. Pros limit the instances of playing out of position shots, and limit the amount of times they are off balance, but you gotta practice those situations regardless, and have the ability to use quick hoppy footwork to link in between the ideal Schlager move. 

Does that make sense? I might have explained it poorly, but basically you cant get to what schlager is teaching without first having that initial foundation. 
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 10:53pm

yep ws barely moves feet.

kid moves so much and so fast that you go WOW!!!
but the resulting shot is the same from both.

actually this happened once to me while training.
this regular guy was training and seemed like ok but was missing some balls.
then coach came and said "its easy!" and he moved like ws, one step at a time and slow, but for some reason he was making the same or better shots than the other guy who seemed to be moving faster and putting more energy into it.

I guess I can only tell you what I read from the boys body.

The boy, when he finish FH stroke, about 60 to 80% of his weight is on the right half of his body and that is a problem, he will have continuating problems as his right to left shift is too slow for his age already.

WS is tellnig him to skip the pause and go straight to left feet to take off with BH shot, thus is why a lot of people in this thread is saying one movement, or transfer weight into left feet during the stroke (look at how left feet lands and takes off for BH shot).

I think you better come to me for a few coaching sessions. Clearly it is difficult to teach you have the internet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

In the real game it is very important to read the opponent- as you say- to apply this technic as good as possible. If i have time to, i apply it. If i have less time (or a ball is going to the same corner again), then you step (swing your body weight from your left leg after your VH) again back to the same corner (weight on your right leg) and step again back to your left leg (body weight transfers to the left while hitting the ball) again.

This is the important thing with this discussion. Schlager said it himself, He's teaching the kid a professional concept. This is a big thing when going from junior to professional he says. 

The line "If I have time" 

You can't play like this in a match without the skills of fast feet to back it up (which isn't being taught to future pros, but to club players in the video) They are preaching to different audiences. Schlager can (could) move like that sure. He was a top player for many years. But You save it for when you need it, you don't play it all the time. Pros limit the instances of playing out of position shots, and limit the amount of times they are off balance, but you gotta practice those situations regardless, and have the ability to use quick hoppy footwork to link in between the ideal Schlager move. 

Does that make sense? I might have explained it poorly, but basically you cant get to what schlager is teaching without first having that initial foundation. 
Exactly. And the kids level is definitely beyond basic or intermediate.

PPisLife

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 11:16pm

The results are similar but the movement executed are not. Question is, who would get tired first? :)
PPisLife

fiveplyian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 6:33am
This kid plays with his elbow very close to his side on the FH. He is not tall but this reduces his reach even further - his footwork to the FH side puts him too close to the ball to do much else ? Or because of his narrow FH he likes to move really close to  the ball ?

Part of me thinks he is fitting in a set pattern of steps regardless of exactly where the ball to the FH is going i.e. he is not adjusting to the ball with his foot work but just repeating the pattern he has been taught.

I understand exactly where WS is coming from. His observations on the transition from junior game to adult game seem spot on but still leaves open the question of when in a player's development to transition from the nice neat side steps seen in many coaching manuals to the wide stances and weight transitions seen in many rallies at the top level ?
Ian
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 7:28am
Hes teaching the kid to use weight transfer to incorporate movement into the stroke. Its kind of a way of being more efficient with your strokes, if you know or can predict where the ball is going to go. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 8:30am
His weight is going on to his right foot as he strikes the ball, and in one instance just after. Its a regular drill so he knows where the ball is going and its always beneficial to be in position ahead of time and push towards where you are going, Same on the b/hand, if you can get your left leg across and behind the ball before you strike you are in good shape. Its a small timing adjustment that's all.
The Older I get, The better I was.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

His weight is going on to his right foot as he strikes the ball, and in one instance just after. Its a regular drill so he knows where the ball is going and its always beneficial to be in position ahead of time and push towards where you are going, Same on the b/hand, if you can get your left leg across and behind the ball before you strike you are in good shape. Its a small timing adjustment that's all.

Yes, it's a small timing adjustment.  Also, on the stroke, I have sort of the same problem as the kid (well, maybe more Smile), there is still so much energy on the stroke after contact, and this is a waste energy.  Look at WS's stroke, it's so smooth and efficient.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:04am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Yes, it's a small timing adjustment.  Also, on the stroke, I have sort of the same problem as the kid (well, maybe more Smile), there is still so much energy on the stroke after contact, and this is a waste energy.  Look at WS's stroke, it's so smooth and efficient.
 incidentally, I have always thought that Schlager has great economy and disguise in his movement, his lack of body movement in his strokes makes him harder to read for his opponents and I think that achieving world men's singles status gives a player/coach licence to preach his own gospel. He also gives nothing away directionally with his free arm which is static during his strokes, frowned upon by many textbook addicts.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:40am
That is also what I have always liked about Schlager.  Everything is so economical, and he makes it look simple.
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:52am

incidentally, I have always thought that Schlager has great economy and disguise in his movement, his lack of body movement in his strokes makes him harder to read for his opponents and I think that achieving world men's singles status gives a player/coach licence to preach his own gospel. He also gives nothing away directionally with his free arm which is static during his strokes, frowned upon by many textbook addicts.

Just shows that you can become world class through various methods. Schlager prefers deception and hiding his hand until the last possible moment at the expense of power.
Contrast this with the Chinese style which typically emphasizes overwhelming your opponent with spin, speed and placement.

It's definitely a style that's worth pursuing if you're a recreational tournament player. I can easily see someone getting to 1800+ with this style. It might not be pretty, but it works (see Oliver Mader who at  one time was  around 2200 using nothing but push blocks).
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 3:53pm
Hm... My question is, would you do what Schlager did, if it was a RANDOM 2 point drill?
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Hm... My question is, would you do what Schlager did, if it was a RANDOM 2 point drill?

Yes.  You always want to get back to the neutral stand.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by collins.latag collins.latag wrote:

In my opinion, the coach's technique adjustment was inappropriate for the kid due to his size.
Size does not matter. Its technique. Its not like the kid is a beginner or is just an intermediate player in the first place. Besides cutting down on the steps gives the kid more time to fluidly hit the balls rather than that of pausing on each shot.

I disagree, the kid does not have the same size of step, while WS can almost cover the whole table with that one step.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:36pm

I disagree, the kid does not have the same size of step, while WS can almost cover the whole table with that one step.

I am taller than schlager and if you throw me one to bh one to fh after some balls I run out of time and begin to look like a mess, have to move really fast (like the kid), miss...
I think the reason schlagers movement looks fluid and fast is
1- he starts moving to the other side while hitting
2- when hitting he uses the arm, he doesn't use the whole body like the chinese do
actually chinese pros also use only the arm. they use the body and a more exagerated movement only when they are trying to finish a point with power.

so the only reason he can move so slow his feet is because he gains time by starting to move earlier.
this is the biggest secret in table tennis and what will catapult your game to the next level.
it's not about how good you loop or the quality of your shots.
it's about how good you can read what the other guy's gonna do, thus being there earlier.

Edited by puppy412 - 10/29/2013 at 5:47pm
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Yes.  You always want to get back to the neutral stand.

I must be missing something here as I thought that was what the kid was doing? Schlager's recovery from his FH is the backswing for his BH and vice versa, which is obvious much more efficient but you need the incoming balls alternate between FH and BH...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 6:11pm

this is the biggest secret in table tennis and what will catapult your game to the next level.
it's about how good you can read what the other guy's gonna do, thus being there earlier.

Its not a secret, its just that many are ignorant of its importance because they are obsessed with technique.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 6:32pm

Its not a secret, its just that many are ignorant of its importance because they are obsessed with technique.

to me it was a sort of mystical revelation.
going from not being able to block a ball to being able to block 5 in a row just by realizing that all I had to do was put all my attention in how the other guy was going to hit the ball before he actually hit it.
this I'm talking in matches, not in training.

as for where the tendency to stop a split second after each stroke comes from, I think it comes from the fact that when you begin to play you never really know whether your ball will land on the other side of the table and whether the other guy will hit it.
so you hit ball and stay a milisecond checking if stroke was good.
schlager clearly has a lot of confidence his shots will land so he starts moving to the other side before hitting LOL

Edited by puppy412 - 10/29/2013 at 8:49pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2013 at 5:38am

as for where the tendency to stop a split second after each stroke comes from, I think it comes from the fact that when you begin to play you never really know whether your ball will land on the other side of the table and whether the other guy will hit it.
schlager clearly has a lot of confidence his shots will land so he starts moving to the other side before hitting LOL

Perfect explanation of the realisation that to move up a level you need to work on 'reading the game' which will for many players lead automatically to them looking for ways to buy time during rallies, quicker recovery, outmaneuvering the opponent and better shot selection then becomes the focus of the players thoughts/practice, usually resulting in somewhat of a breakthrough in standard, every accomplished player goes through this 'matrix moment'
when a player puts something new into their game, even when they read the game well, they will suffer from the 'stop for a split second' scenario that you mention, and it will affect the flow of their game until it becomes absorbed fully ( especially under pressure) small changes take less time, but anything radical needs to be weighed up against potential loss of form/results, which can affect confidence.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 12:42am

going from not being able to block a ball to being able to block 5 in a row just by realizing that all I had to do was put all my attention in how the other guy was going to hit the ball before he actually hit it.

I know exactly what you mean! I fall victim to it so badly- I am always saying to myself "Stop watching your shot!" because sometimes I catch myself checking to make sure it landed, or if I make a really awesome shot or go around the net or whatever, I'll stand there and admire it instead of getting ready for the next shot. 

It's a matter of no practice. 

You can't simply have the mentality that Wiggy mentioned above without practicing to it. While some people obsess over technique, some people are just insecure about it because they don't practice. I keep waiting for an "aha" moment, but it won't happen if I can't practice all the crap out of my head. If I do multi ball for a couple times in a week, I'll ALWAYS play better because I absolutely won't think about how I'm hitting my shot, and I'll just play it and move on, forming the point and using my sense at the table comfortably. 

When I go a couple weeks without playing, then my club is closed here and there, and I play once or twice in a month, I can't simply keep that mentality up, and I constantly question what I'm doing. Unless I start to play retrieve on everything, I'm going to miss my shots out of sheer lack of confidence- and confidence comes with practice. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 4:48am

Did not mean "steps" as in movement, i meant "steps" as in process...

Edited by collins.latag - 10/31/2013 at 4:55am
PPisLife

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I know exactly what you mean! I fall victim to it so badly- I am always saying to myself "Stop watching your shot!" because sometimes I catch myself checking to make sure it landed, or if I make a really awesome shot or go around the net or whatever, I'll stand there and admire it instead of getting ready for the next shot. 

It's a matter of no practice. 

You can't simply have the mentality that Wiggy mentioned above without practicing to it. While some people obsess over technique, some people are just insecure about it because they don't practice. I keep waiting for an "aha" moment, but it won't happen if I can't practice all the crap out of my head. If I do multi ball for a couple times in a week, I'll ALWAYS play better because I absolutely won't think about how I'm hitting my shot, and I'll just play it and move on, forming the point and using my sense at the table comfortably. 

When I go a couple weeks without playing, then my club is closed here and there, and I play once or twice in a month, I can't simply keep that mentality up, and I constantly question what I'm doing. Unless I start to play retrieve on everything, I'm going to miss my shots out of sheer lack of confidence- and confidence comes with practice. 

actually the revelation was not related to that split second of hesitation, that goes away with lots of training.

the revelation was related to what we really pay attention to when we play.

coaches always tell you that you need to move your legs better,
that you need to move your arm like this, like that,
that you need to hit the ball here,
do this movement,
correct this, correct that, etc.

so the result is a player completely absorbed by himself, going crazy by all the mistakes he makes, thinking it all depends on him.
I was this type of player long time, trying to attack and loop many balls, getting annoyed by all the mistakes I was making, thinking it was all my fault.
so I was completely self absorbed.
I was losing to guys that were even with me 3-1, 3-2, sometimes also winning.

one day I suddenly changed.
I just stood there standing and instead of getting absorbed by all my loops and my flaws and my technique I just stood there still and simply started looking at the body language of the other guy when he was hitting the ball.
to my surprise, most times I was able to tell where the ball was going so I simply moved a bit and I was there right on time to hit the next ball.

so this change of focus from my loops and my stuff to what the other guy was gonna do allowed me to beat 3-0 guys who before were giving me a hard time.
and the strangest part, I was barely moving.
I would just look at the other guy and say "ok the ball is probably going here", move there put the paddle and that was eat.
I wasn't even looping, just blocking.

I think players like he zhi wen or kenta matsudaira have perfected this, that's why they are always there on time.
same with schlager and his advice.
why does he tell the kid to move earlier to next shot?
because that's what he does when he plays.
and how can he do that? it's a mixture between guessing and reading body language of the opponent.
but the thing is no coach taught them to do that, you either have that capability of looking and identifying or you don't.

Edited by puppy412 - 10/31/2013 at 1:45pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 4:36pm

and how can he do that? it's a mixture between guessing and reading body language of the opponent.
but the thing is no coach taught them to do that, you either have that capability of looking and identifying or you don't.
The last statement is wrong, most have the capability to observe the intentions of their opponent, but some degree of stroke proficiency and footwork is required before the brain is free enough to cope. It can be taught, I teach it with success, the first part is identifying that there is another way to play from what the majority of lower level players perceive to be what happens at higher levels than they have attained.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 5:54pm

The last statement is wrong, most have the capability to observe the intentions of their opponent, but some degree of stroke proficiency and footwork is required before the brain is free enough to cope. It can be taught, I teach it with success, the first part is identifying that there is another way to play from what the majority of lower level players perceive to be what happens at higher levels than they have attained.
True. But I think it also takes a bit of courage to adjust the mindset in the beginning. Get it wrong, as will happen at times, and the opponent will appear to have made this great fake shot.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic