FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Was this kid's technique really wrong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 6:20pm
Question for the high-level players / coaches / analysts on this forum: do other pros (the Chinese in particular) move like Schlager shows here?
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Question for the high-level players / coaches / analysts on this forum: do other pros (the Chinese in particular) move like Schlager shows here?

I think you focus on form while Schlager was focused on function.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 6:59pm

why do you consider that to be important?
The Older I get, The better I was.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 7:21pm

I've noticed this a while ago, while watching Ryu Seung Min in his training videos, incorporate footwork into his strokes. So, he is moving a little towards the next ball in his stroke using weight transfer. 
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by collins.latag collins.latag wrote:

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

In my opinion, the coach's technique adjustment was inappropriate for the kid due to his size.

Size does not matter. Its technique. Its not like the kid is a beginner or is just an intermediate player in the first place. Besides cutting down on the steps gives the kid more time to fluidly hit the balls rather than that of pausing on each shot.
Size makes a difference.   I think the little kid was doing well.  I know Schlager's intentions were good and his motion was much smoother but the little kid will not be able to move as far in one step.  If the little kid was bigger it would be different.

The little kid was doing well in my opinion but if he is paying Schlager for instructions then he needs to learn the fine points even if he can't implement them now.  However,  I personally wouldn't go to Schlager to tell me how to step.  I can figure that out myself.  There are more important things to learn.  One can learn how to step using drills with a robot.  Then it is like learning the dance steps for each drill.  If only the opponents would return ball like a drill.

collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

In my opinion, the coach's technique adjustment was inappropriate for the kid due to his size.

Size does not matter. Its technique. Its not like the kid is a beginner or is just an intermediate player in the first place. Besides cutting down on the steps gives the kid more time to fluidly hit the balls rather than that of pausing on each shot.
Size makes a difference.   I think the little kid was doing well.  I know Schlager's intentions were good and his motion was much smoother but the little kid will not be able to move as far in one step.  If the little kid was bigger it would be different.

The little kid was doing well in my opinion but if he is paying Schlager for instructions then he needs to learn the fine points even if he can't implement them now.  However,  I personally wouldn't go to Schlager to tell me how to step.  I can figure that out myself.  There are more important things to learn.  One can learn how to step using drills with a robot.  Then it is like learning the dance steps for each drill.  If only the opponents would return ball like a drill.

It does make a difference, I agree... but I reckon you would not say a match up is unfair in table tennis because the opponent is taller or younger/older than you... yes there are things you could learn by yourself, but with out direction do you really think a beginner would know how to get really good without instruction from someone who knows the sport better? formal or informal, direct or indirect.

PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 10:12pm

It does make a difference, I agree... but I reckon you would not say a match up is unfair in table tennis because the opponent is taller or younger/older than you
No but this is not about a match. There are difference techniques for each size.

... yes there are things you could learn by yourself, but with out direction do you really think a beginner
That kid is no beginner. I don't think a beginner would think about such things as efficient and smooth foot work.  A beginner that does any foot work is doing well. Like I said above, there are more important things to get right.

would know how to get really good without instruction from someone who knows the sport better? formal or informal, direct or indirect.

Like I said above, doing a drill is like learning to dance.  You start awkward as hell but soon get into a smooth rhythm like Schlager.  It is clear Schlager knows that dance well.

The question that must be asked is do you think Schlager's example is best for the little boy or should Schlager think like he is a little boy and find an efficient way for a little boy to move.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

why do you consider that to be important?

The assumption here is that if it is indeed more effective, we should see it used more by the high level players (who have quality think tanks behind them).

As a relative TT layman / novice (and an adult unlike that kid), I find moving like Schlager makes the FH - BH drill a lot easier. However, that is because in the (non-random) drill, I can get to the right spot before the ball gets there (as he shows in the video). Sure, if could use it in a real game if I have the time. However, for preparation for in game pressure situations, I find practicing what the kid does to be more useful: because I'm not quite there pre-shot, I need that additional step forward (post-shot) to regain balance and minimize recovery time. You can see this utilized in the Killerspin footwork video as well as in the ubiquitous Chinese footwork videos.
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2013 at 11:03pm

It does make a difference, I agree... but I reckon you would not say a match up is unfair in table tennis because the opponent is taller or younger/older than you
No but this is not about a match. There are difference techniques for each size.

... yes there are things you could learn by yourself, but with out direction do you really think a beginner
That kid is no beginner. I don't think a beginner would think about such things as efficient and smooth foot work.  A beginner that does any foot work is doing well. Like I said above, there are more important things to get right.

would know how to get really good without instruction from someone who knows the sport better? formal or informal, direct or indirect.

Like I said above, doing a drill is like learning to dance.  You start awkward as hell but soon get into a smooth rhythm like Schlager.  It is clear Schlager knows that dance well.

The question that must be asked is do you think Schlager's example is best for the little boy or should Schlager think like he is a little boy and find an efficient way for a little boy to move.

I think it is good for the kid to incorporate the technique with his style of play at his age or even when he was younger. The drill becomes part of his reflex and that the movement taught becomes second nature to him as he grows older.

For every sport, most of those on top are people who start training hard at an early age. Being gifted doesn't mean you can just pick up on something and be world champion at it. Even they who are gifted still needs to practice. The more the variation the more adaptable they are to certain situations.

The technique being taught would be a good practice against close to the table active blockers, and those who prefer to play with speed over spin. At least that's how I see it. But what do I know. I'm not even half as good as the kid.
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 12:26am
All I can say is that if Werner Schlager had suggestions for me as to how to play or move better, I would do everything I could possibly do to follow and implement his advice. He is one of the most efficient players who have ever lived.  On this video, we saw one snippet of his coaching.  I suspect there is more context to what we saw.  I think it could be argued that even for his size, the little guy's footwork was more complex than necessary for what was happening. 
bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 1:58am
i think the coach footstep is more suitable for those who is taller...i think the kid technique is just right:)
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 4:03am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

All I can say is that if Werner Schlager had suggestions for me as to how to play or move better, I would do everything I could possibly do to follow and implement his advice. He is one of the most efficient players who have ever lived.  On this video, we saw one snippet of his coaching.  I suspect there is more context to what we saw.  I think it could be argued that even for his size, the little guy's footwork was more complex than necessary for what was happening. 

exactly, his advice does not need to be corroborated, he was world champion.
fiveplyian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 5:30am
Same kid with Werner Schlager.

BH - FH drill from 20 secs on ..... better view point.

Spot the difference Smile
Ian
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 6:38am
ha, he's lost that unnecessary ministep between strokes which meant he was striking the ball later in the tempo. 
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 8:10am
I would say that the chinese and Schalger are talking about the same thing. It's all about inertia control and movement effectiveness. Schlager tells the kid to flow instead of move -> stop -> move -> stop. The chinese say the same thing - stay in motion. It doesn't matter if you step or make little jumps as long as you move (sideways/front-back). Stop motion is the main reason the europeans can't really compete with the chinese. 

I would like to hear your opinions with regard to these two multiball videos: 

Sure Ovtcharov hits faster but he is so stiff compared to Ma Long.
Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 9:25am
To simplify what Schlager is saying, there is no need for that ministep the kid was putting in when he corrected him because it was not needed, if he was fed two successive f/hand balls it would be needed to transfer weight back to his right foot for the f/hand, and left foot for his b/hand. Regular drills are used for different reasons depending on the objective and standard of the player, at lower levels just to groove strokes, but this kid is past that stage. If in a match situation the kid reads where his opponent is playing, putting in an extra step will lose him time getting behind the ball to play the stroke as he flows into his next shot.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Ashes Ashes wrote:

I would say that the chinese and Schalger are talking about the same thing. It's all about inertia control and movement effectiveness. Schlager tells the kid to flow instead of move -> stop -> move -> stop. The chinese say the same thing - stay in motion. It doesn't matter if you step or make little jumps as long as you move (sideways/front-back). Stop motion is the main reason the europeans can't really compete with the chinese. 

The other question, is it easier or more effective to take the ball early or later/further away from the table ?
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 10:11am

yes it seems schlager  was actually correcting the mini jumps in the middle.
which seems fine because they are unnecessary movement.
if you think about his analogy with a pendulum, any movement where you go up and down in the middle without hitting the ball is actually destructing the pendulum. a little jump could be seen as a movement that takes you up and down.
that's why he suggests a step, one leg at a time.

if you look at the coach here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7KuF67wlwI
at 0:21 he's actually doing something very similar to what the kid was doing.
which includes move both legs at same time and small jumps in the middle.
actually what creates a small jump is moving both legs at the same time.
whenever you are moving both legs at the same time you are making small jump.
whenever you are not moving both legs at the same time you are not making a small jump.
regardless of how slow or fast you move.

Edited by puppy412 - 11/01/2013 at 11:35am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 10:17am
Away from the table gives more time to get your stroke in, but also give your opponent more time to react and gives you more court to cover, there is no 'easier' but in general its more effective to get the stroke in as early as possible because you give your opponent less time to react. On the other hand, if you are being out paced at the table, you can slow the tempo by playing at mid distance, but its not a good option if your footwork is not of a decent quality.
Pushdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 10:19am

Otcharov has very little arm movement, doing the shots more from with his wrists and forearm.
Ma Long ha large movements, using his whole arm for backhand, and using his shoulders and body for forehand.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by fiveplyian fiveplyian wrote:

Same kid with Werner Schlager.

BH - FH drill from 20 secs on ..... better view point.

Spot the difference Smile

Was this video taken after the talk?
The kid is playing in 1 motion, which is much better than his previous (more normal/outdated method)

See how he finish his forhand with weight on left feet. and that helped him move into BH ready stance much quicker and smoother. No need for a 2nd movement to do that.

Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 12:15pm

[quote]

Okay, you as you said the kid is not a beginner. So what do you think that is more important than learn how to move correctly? If you have ok stokes then the moving is the most important thing to learn to do right. If you are in right possisition it´s quite easy to make a right choise for your stroke and complite it with success. Or if there is something more important to learn, I really happy to hear about it. 
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 12:32pm

To simplify what Schlager is saying, there is no need for that ministep the kid was putting in when he corrected him because it was not needed, if he was fed two successive f/hand balls it would be needed to transfer weight back to his right foot for the f/hand, and left foot for his b/hand. Regular drills are used for different reasons depending on the objective and standard of the player, at lower levels just to groove strokes, but this kid is past that stage. If in a match situation the kid reads where his opponent is playing, putting in an extra step will lose him time getting behind the ball to play the stroke as he flows into his next shot.

So it's not a drill for one single stroke, but a drill for a combination-strike... It makes sense now because you don't play strokes independently in a combination-strike Clap
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 12:58pm
In the second video, the kid looks so much more smooth*.  It is now clear what WS was trying to get him to do -- before and after.  So is this the best way for the little boy?  It sure looks like it.

Thanks for posting it fiveplyian!  ZAP, this is a very interesting thread.

* Eric Owens used to always tell me to try to move fast but like you have a class of water balanced on your head. I don't have access to any world champions where I live, so I try to follow advice given to me by national champions instead.  Fortunately for me, there have been some of those in my city, and they have all been really generous with their time and knowledge, not just for me, but lots of other players who live in Houston.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 1:04pm
little jump or single step?

this video is a perfect example of schlager's one step at a time footwork

precisely at 1:10

the chinese footwork style would be more like 2:35

Edited by puppy412 - 11/01/2013 at 1:09pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 1:24pm
Baal,
Yeah, I didn't know this thread can become so interesting.
IMO, minor changes (but need to get used to it), can help every player become much better (by moving more smoother)

But I think, not many people understand this, including spending time in this thread.

Puppy,
Not sure what you are on about. Good luck with you trying to figure it out.
I can say, Schalger is World Champion, Boy is moving better. And yeah, its a reason to be dancing.

PS, I had Chinese style coaching, and I can tell you what I saw in those videos is the same as how I was taugh, same as what those Chinese coaches are saying and same as how I am teaching my students!

Edited by ZApenholder - 11/01/2013 at 1:27pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Interesting thread indeed!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 3:35pm

Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Interesting thread indeed!

What's also so interesting is that some people will doubt a world champion.

But what is more interesting for me is that European footwork is becoming more Chinese than I thought. WS movement is not a normal European one.
Or maybe I am wrong (I have been away for 6 years until end of 2011).

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 4:12pm

Away from the table gives more time to get your stroke in, but also give your opponent more time to react and gives you more court to cover, there is no 'easier' but in general its more effective to get the stroke in as early as possible because you give your opponent less time to react. On the other hand, if you are being out paced at the table, you can slow the tempo by playing at mid distance, but its not a good option if your footwork is not of a decent quality.

A block has less spin/energy on the ball than a regular topspin stroke. Is it easier or more effective to take a block quicker off the bounce ? A regular topspin shot has more energy/effective spin as it gains momentum up to a point where it starts dissipating, so is it easier or more effective to take it early or later ? If you take the ball later you allow any attached sidespin to become a more important factor even it is a block or regular stroke.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2013 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Tommy16 Tommy16 wrote:

Okay, you as you said the kid is not a beginner. So what do you think that is more important than learn how to move correctly?
It is hard to say without seeing the kid play.  We can't see if he has more severe weaknesses.

I agree that moving is very important.  It is clear the kid was doing better in the second video but he still wasn't moving like Schlager.  Schlager can move where he wants in one step because he is bigger that's all.

I know moving correctly is important.  Moving wrong can result in a broken wrist :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic