FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What is the best looping stroke?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best looping stroke?
    Posted: 09/23/2009 at 12:07pm
1.  Looping top with a little side mixed in.
2.  Looping pure topspin

a)  Looping closed racked
b)  Looping open

-As late as possible
-As early
-Top of the bounce

:Concave
:Straight motion - letting the elbow fold on forehand, but on backhand, for that stroke, one would have to play Ryu Seung Min backhand to make the elbow fold.

Strategy: push, push, block, aim for the kill.
Strategy: Loop first chance you get and keep the opponent on their toes.(mix other spin with them)

+Tight Grip
+Lose Grip

Ofcourse, if there is your own version that I didn't include, kindly mention it.
Sponsored Links

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 12:10pm
when u r talking about best looping stroke, is this regarding the stroke to the same spin? if so, what type of spin? how low or high is the ball.

otherwise, it is entirely dependent on the spin, length, height and positioning of the ball.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 12:19pm

another absurd post brought to you by Sid.

FOr all the young folks or inexperienced folks. Do not follow this posters lead of asking such blantantly vague questions. You won't gain anything.

No such thing as best, or better.

So many freaking variables to include a persons physical fitness that the word "best" does not exist for looping.
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
jossix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 1:14pm
why is it absurd? i have seen almost all of the points discussed in other threads in this and other forums.no one described it then as absurd.
if you do not like it just ignore.no need to target him.
Recanter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 1:20pm
Well

loop = topspin
Chop = underspin

So if the most chop you can get on a ball is hitting it at the bottom...

Logically, the best way too loop a ball would be to hit it at the top with a closed blade.

Just my 2 cents :)
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH: BTY Tenergy 64 2.1
BH: BTY EJ Max
TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT over Study Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 1:26pm

there is no such thing as a concave loop or convex loop

figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by jossix jossix wrote:

why is it absurd? i have seen almost all of the points discussed in other threads in this and other forums.no one described it then as absurd.
if you do not like it just ignore.no need to target him.

actually I do and will.

again, there is no such thing as best. Way to many variables to take into account as mentioned before.

So in essence, it is in fact an absurd post.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 2:00pm
sid comes up with great topics that many new players ponder but are too afraid to ask.
there are soo many styles of looping, in a club, everyone has their own style and strategy. a good player should be able to perform various styles of looping and strategy to fit the situation and opponent.
as for grip and form, do whatever you want. but if you want to reach your maximum potential, get a coach over 2300 usatt to teach you grip and stroke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:11pm
TT over Study, Is Michael Maze and Ryu Seung Min's forehand not concave?

Figgie, discussions are meant to remove as many variables as possible.  Possibilities to learn are always open, but it is always better to learn as much as you can.  If you chose to be unproductive, refrain from making further posts in my thread or else you will be reported.

Popperlocker, I forgot to add the grip thing, I have edited my topic thread.  Try to look at this thread as a method to gain understanding rather than you trying to help me improve.  I neither have the money, or the intention to become better at table tennis, I simply want to understand its complexity, and figure out if Wang Hao does have the supreme style...and if this sport cannot improve any further.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by sidofmillenium sidofmillenium wrote:

I neither have the money, or the intention to become better at table tennis, I simply want to understand its complexity, and figure out if Wang Hao does have the supreme style...and if this sport cannot improve any further.

SID......you have been one of the longest standing members still on this forum.   You joined in the end of 2003.  

If you have not figured it all out by now....you never will!

But to answer your inquisitive mind.....

1. The best loop is the one the opponent can not return, regardless of what kind of stroke was used, which rubber or blade was used, or what the relative humitidy or GMT was at the point. 

2. Yes,  Wang Hao is the only table tennis player that has the "supreme style", and he will not tell anyone of his secret Chinese techniques learned from ancient table tennis shifu's.     So don't even ask him or you may end up at the fate of a baugwa power punch!

3. You have way to much idle time on your brain to waste with such nonsensical ramblings here on mytt.  Please go play some table tennis or do your homework instead of logging in!!!    (I'm only trying to help your mental wellness). 

END OF STORY.      

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:57pm
A great example of people forcing their unwanted help.  Rich, I have ALREADY mentioned, that I do not WANT any help, but just in mood for a productive discussion.  Since Adham Sharara wont raise the height of the net, every ball is loopable, not much room for strategy...therefore, it is important to know what kinda stroke should 1 be aiming for.  Ofcourse, we adapt our game to our opponent's, but there are formulas that work for everyone....they are known as fundamentals. 

imo, this is how the best loops should be.

1.  Sidespin mixed: so wrist and other parts can be used completely, instead of holding back to manage the angle.

a)  Close Angle: so it won't be dependent on reading opponent's spin..by forcing your own, so you can apply that energy elsewhere.

-As late as possible: in my experience, if you use that energy in loading your shot instead of waiting, it is a bunch more powerful, plus you get time to react.(I am a semi-long range all round player)

:Convex: Allows the blade to dig most into the sponge, a player has to know how to go down on a ball as well so if a ball jumps unpredictability, he can adjust during his stroke.(straight is impractical)

Strategy: Loop first chance you get, since it is hard to predict your opponent completely, it makes sense to constantly give him as much as trouble as possible.

+Lose Grip: Tight Grip makes the whole arm tense, and then if you wish to use the whole body, you have to have your whole body tense....so I just hit a with a lose grip and do a good followthrough.(like Hao Shuai)

ChopSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChopSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 4:05pm
I make no attempt to state what is "best". I'll just tell ya what I do.

<<<<>>>>
1.  Looping top with a little side mixed in.
2.  Looping pure topspin
<<<<>>>>

I do both

<<<<>>>>
a)  Looping closed racked
b)  Looping open
 <<<<>>>>

Mostly  a)

<<<<>>>>
-As late as possible
-As early
-Top of the bounce
<<<<>>>>

I try to make it at the top of the bounce, but sometimes I'm a little late.

<<<<>>>>
:Concave
:Straight motion - letting the elbow fold on forehand, but on backhand, for that stroke, one would have to play Ryu Seung Min backhand to make the elbow fold.
<<<<>>>>

The slower ones tend to be concave. The faster ones tend to be straight.

<<<<>>>>
Strategy: push, push, block, aim for the kill.
Strategy: Loop first chance you get and keep the opponent on their toes.(mix other spin with them)
<<<<>>>>

I do both. I at least try both to see what works better.

<<<<>>>>
+Tight Grip
+Lose Grip
<<<<>>>>

Fast ones tight. Slow ones loose.
Dawei Genote S
FH Nittaku Hammond Pro β
BH Yasaka Mark V
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 4:21pm
Just look at Kreanga in YouTube .
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 4:22pm

So sad he got injured in European Championship, would have loved to see him play his best against other Europeans.

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 5:22pm
There is no such thing as the most superior looping stroke because styles vary and also joint mechanics.  All players have different anatomies and this will create no shortage of variation in the game.  Also the stroke will vary depending on style
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 5:45pm

Setting rare exceptions aside, I highly doubt difference in anatomy among players will change the fundamental ways we are speaking of here.  I guess we should first discuss what is "considered" the best looping stroke?  That in general, give problems to everyone.  Which would mean it being deceptive, with high end speed and spin.(and ofcourse consistency and flexibility)

traineebeing View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traineebeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 6:00pm
From what i read, up to down sid spin stroke is the best i guess.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 6:19pm

Settings rare exceptions aside, I highly doubt difference in anatomy among players will change the fundamental ways we are speaking of here.  I guess we should first discuss what is "considered" the best looping stroke?  That in general, give problems to everyone.  Which would mean it being deceptive, with high end speed and spin.(and ofcourse consistency and flexibility)

I think, sid, what some people here are trying to say is that there are various strokes for a loop, each of which produce different speeds and spins, and each one of them is correct, dependent on the context (hence, making the term "best" a bit fuzzy).

A high, spinny loop requires one stroke. I low, fast loop requires another. A loop with side spine, yet another. Each one (and the many other combinations) are all useful, just in different situations. For example, if I get pulled out far to my FH side, I'm usually not gonna want to return with a hard, fast, low loop. I'm gonna wanna go deep, a little higher, and spinny so I can buy time to get back into position. Yet, if my opponent is out of position, perhaps far to his or her FH side, I might want to loop hard and fast to their backhand side. Two different strokes, two different but valid results, for two separate contexts.

I think maybe you should be a bit more specific. For instance, what is the best stroke for generating a high, spinny loop? What is the best way to generate a low, fast loop? When should I choose one over the other? Etc.

Clarity, brother, clarity. Wink And specificity. That way, people won't get upset with you for being vague.
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 6:19pm

Settings rare exceptions aside, I highly doubt difference in anatomy among players will change the fundamental ways we are speaking of here.  I guess we should first discuss what is "considered" the best looping stroke?  That in general, give problems to everyone.  Which would mean it being deceptive, with high end speed and spin.(and ofcourse consistency and flexibility)

Then your lack of understanding basic sciene based in this reality is truely UNQUESTIONABLE if you think such an idiocy.

Or in a language that sid can understand. You currently know as much science as a rock on the side of the road.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by figgie figgie wrote:

Then your lack of understanding basic sciene based in this reality is truely UNQUESTIONABLE if you think such an idiocy.

Or in a language that sid can understand. You currently know as much science as a rock on the side of the road.

HEY Figgie if you do not like what sid posts it's your problem but you certainly can't insult him for what he wants to share. In other words keep quiet or get the heck out of the thread.
That's warning one.

figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by figgie figgie wrote:

HEY Figgie if you do not like what sid posts it's your problem but you certainly can't insult him for what he wants to share. In other words keep quiet or get the heck out of the thread.
That's warning one.

If crap is being posted as fact. I am going to question the crap, feelings be damned.

Now as I told Alex and now you, if this is type of quality posts that are being put, in no less the "COACHING AND TIPS" section and no one questions the VALIDITY of said posts. Then you guys will ultimately have nothing but SID's running amock. posting thier deep lack of understanding for everyone to absorb for table tennis which unfortunatly contradicts the real science behind this sport. Not the fairy tales that so far have come from his fingertips.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 7:49pm
*sigh* there are basic facts in table tennis that different factors and conditions alter your stroke, timing and the angle of the bat when perfoming a looping stroke. how hard is it to analyze that there is no best stroke it depends on the situation of the incoming ball!!!! duh! 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 8:06pm

Wrong section. Craps should not be posted on "Coaching & Tips". I may get warned as well. But I just wonder why Mods does not care about losing members who pissed off by seeing all the craps in the forum. Ouch

zwu168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwu168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 8:56pm
can you just go play instead of sitting infront of a computer writing posts all day? a lot of things you could learn better by playing than asking others
OC WRB
FH: Hurricane 2
BH: CJ8000
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

Wrong section. Craps should not be posted on "Coaching & Tips". I may get warned as well. But I just wonder why Mods does not care about losing members who pissed off by seeing all the craps in the forum. Ouch

tdragon im just holding myself from bashing him because its a waste of time.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 9:58pm
And yogi_bear continues to act unmoderator like with no consequences...this forum has poor management.

Lets not get upset and start another riot....lets focus on the topic.(or else I'll get blamed for all of it, regardless of how I act) - ppl should see what my intentions are, and compare it to others...instead of picking on 1 mistake I did....and blaming me for the whole drag out.

Now that thats out of the way, lets focus on 1 thing at a time.  Which is better for looping, loose or tight grip?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 10:08pm

Setting rare exceptions aside, I highly doubt difference in anatomy among players will change the fundamental ways we are speaking of here.  I guess we should first discuss what is "considered" the best looping stroke?  That in general, give problems to everyone.  Which would mean it being deceptive, with high end speed and spin.(and ofcourse consistency and flexibility)

Alright then justify why you think anatomy, range of motion, and difference in style doesn't play a role in fundamental differences. If you can't use REAL facts then don't try
Clipper CR WRB

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 10:16pm
1.  You should learn something from Anton, he tries to resolve issues, he is better at it than I am.

2.  Fatt just warned someone for violation, he commited it again, and you indirectly encouraged it.

3.  Unless you are trying to hit backhand with forehand, or vise versa, why dont you give me 1 example where it does make a difference.(I have already addressed other issues)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 10:18pm
No you have not addressed the issue and i am not violating anything by asking you to point out a fact to support your idea so don't even try that with me.  Anton is a very good poster and i try to resolve the issue by making you do the work and coming up with facts to support your ideas, that's the only way YOU learn.
Clipper CR WRB

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 10:19pm
actually its a moderator's responsibility to filter garbage posts such as what you are always posting so as not to misinform new table tennis players..
aaron, he will just make another bunch of excuses with no direct link to anatomy or physiology sources and dodge your question so as not to explain his side and not to make a fool out of himself AGAIN...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic