Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What makes more advanced/exotic serves better?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What makes more advanced/exotic serves better?
    Posted: 11/24/2008 at 12:31am
What makes more advanced/exotic serves like the pendulum/reverse pendulum/tomahawk serve more effective than the basic forehand and backhand backspin/sidespin/topspin serves, aside from making the other player go "lol wut" (see Dimitrij Ovtcharov), of course.
Sponsored Links

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 12:40am
They are variety serves his opponents are not used to. The opponent thinks first to return the serve while the server can take advantage of the third ball attack.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 12:53am
becuase they look cool, wikipedia cool and u get "schlager" lol
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 1:00am
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

They are variety serves his opponents are not used to. The opponent thinks first to return the serve while the server can take advantage of the third ball attack.

But at higher levels, the opponents are all used to it, right?
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 1:00am
It is harder for the receiver to judge the spin of the serve and he can make more easily an error...Another thing is that every player makes different motion when makes a pendulum serve.The receiver may not have seen this motion before and he may make an error.With the basic serves, the motions that the server can do, are more predictable...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 1:11am
Originally posted by johnny89atc johnny89atc wrote:

It is harder for the receiver to judge the spin of the serve and he can make more easily an error...Another thing is that every player makes different motion when makes a pendulum serve.The receiver may not have seen this motion before and he may make an error.With the basic serves, the motions that the server can do, are more predictable...

I had a suspicion it would be that, but you've confirmed it... because really, where on the table can't you hit by doing the basic serve? The rest has to be deception.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 5:07am
The pendulum serve is more versatile because the action can look the same from serve to serve, but where and how you strike the ball with the blade can vary the spin and speed, which makes it easier to misread than a basic serve; as johnny89atc points out.

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

What makes more advanced/exotic serves like the pendulum/reverse pendulum/tomahawk serve more effective than the basic forehand and backhand backspin/sidespin/topspin serves, aside from making the other player go "lol wut" (see Dimitrij Ovtcharov), of course.

being able to get more decptive serves like the niu/matsudaira /ding ning tomahawk serve
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 8:17am
I dunno, but for me, a serve can look exotic when performed by Ai Fukuhara wearing only Victoria Secret's newest collection.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

But at higher levels, the opponents are all used to it, right?

For third ball attaks, the players spin it for their advantage. Eventhough the opponents know the serves, they can't do much. Sometimes, the opponents gets trapped also in the style. It is more mental.

longhand View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 5:00pm
I love Ding Ning's tomahawk serve.
Saw a video of her against guo yue on youtube recently.
Stiga ebenholz
fh- Palio macro era Max
bh- Palio macro era Max
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 6:49pm
Wow Ding Ning's tomahawks are wild!

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Counterlooper View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Counterlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 8:57pm
CRAZY!!!!!
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 9:31pm
those serves permit variety and let you mask the spin by doing the same motion with a slightly different contact, the spin is therefore a lot let obvious so the opponent will be reluctant to attack
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
Counterlooper View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Counterlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 9:53pm
well...for the tomahawk you can change your wrist motion while haveing the same arm swing and change the spin.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 12:10am
Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

those serves permit variety and let you mask the spin by doing the same motion with a slightly different contact, the spin is therefore a lot let obvious so the opponent will be reluctant to attack

I have to disagree with you there. I see many players, on the pro tour as well, get their tomahawk serves get murdered by 2nd attack loops. Case and Point, Kenta Matsudaira vs. Chen Qi 2007 ATTC.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 12:41am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

I have to disagree with you there. I see many players, on the pro tour as well, get their tomahawk serves get murdered by 2nd attack loops. Case and Point, Kenta Matsudaira vs. Chen Qi 2007 ATTC.

Well I think that is more a good read by an experienced player and a little bit of luck. Hopefully if your a pro you should be able to attack weak serves when you get them. Even Ma Lin has had serves come zipping back past him. I don't know if it's just because of a weak serve, poor placement or just an excellent read by the opponent, but it happens from time to time no matter who is serving.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2008 at 1:02am
Ding Ning's serves don't work. Have you seen how Guo Yue just kills them?
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=sRLODlo4r0w

Anyways it works at lower levels...
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic