Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

When to serve side spin, bottom-no spin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to serve side spin, bottom-no spin?
    Posted: 06/29/2010 at 11:01pm
Some players like Timo Boll, Ryu and Liqin like to serve side spin (side top and side bottom). Some like Malin, Wang Hao and even Kong like to serve bottom spin-no spin combination.

Questions:-
At what circumstances a player decide to serve side spin or bottom-no spin combination? Eg. Will side spin be more difficult for opponent to push short? Please advise.
FH:Xiom Omega IV Pro Max
BH:Donic Acuda S1 Max
Butterfly Innerforce ZLC (flare)
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2010 at 5:12am
depends whether which one are you better at, and which one your opponent isn't used to. Wink
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2010 at 8:41am

Usually I serve Side top spin, side underspin and underspin at the early game (1st set). I make an obvious pattern of my serve letting him feel that he knows my serve and how I think in serving. Then when I knew he starts to feel that way thats the time I change the pattern / vary the service more. This is when I start serving no spin, etc.. Chances are the opponent gets confused and will be demoralized if he cant read your service well.

I do this everytime, and most of the time I succeed. 

Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 10:03pm
I use a similar technique. I would also add that the subtleness of pro serves is a big factor. You do not need a lot of spin on the ball rather a small amount will do enough damage if it is misread. For instance, a no-spin serve that was mistaken for underspin will pop up just enough with a small amount of backspin (that your opponent put on the ball when they pushed it) so that you can really smash the ball by hitting through it. Being able to subtlety disguise the spin is the important factor.

Edited by Thaidog - 07/10/2010 at 10:04pm
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 11:33pm

Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

I use a similar technique. I would also add that the subtleness of pro serves is a big factor. You do not need a lot of spin on the ball rather a small amount will do enough damage if it is misread. For instance, a no-spin serve that was mistaken for underspin will pop up just enough with a small amount of backspin (that your opponent put on the ball when they pushed it) so that you can really smash the ball by hitting through it. Being able to subtlety disguise the spin is the important factor.

+100 Wink

Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic