FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Where to Contact your serve...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to Contact your serve...
    Posted: 06/05/2008 at 12:47pm
One thing that has given me great frustration when playing is that alot of the time when I hit a back spin serve (penhold) I always miss it into the net, unless I get lucky. Then I discovered something, I was contacting the ball too out in front. I then began to throw the ball behind me more ( so instead of throwing it at 12 o'clock, i'm throwing it more at 1 o'clock). Now I start to hit it with more consistency and spin. Is this true for you guys too, and any other pointers~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Sponsored Links

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 12:49pm
holy crap lixiao!! LET ME TRY THAT! i didnt c it form that point of view
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 12:50pm
quesiotn, how do  uthrow at 1 o clock without it drifting too far off?
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 12:56pm
Well its not that hard, but one thing you could do is place your hand farther left (if righty) or farther right (if lefty) so that if it drifts it will still fall at 1 o" clock.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 1:36pm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pMuHU4_2aCQ (Look at Chen in the 14th point when they show it in Slow Mo, its BEHIND him~)
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

One thing that has given me great frustration when playing is that alot of the time when I hit a back spin serve (penhold) I always miss it into the net, unless I get lucky. Then I discovered something, I was contacting the ball too out in front. I then began to throw the ball behind me more ( so instead of throwing it at 12 o'clock, i'm throwing it more at 1 o'clock). Now I start to hit it with more consistency and spin. Is this true for you guys too, and any other pointers~

Are you tall? If you are, try serving in a more crouched position...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:26pm
I'm 5'4. But I like experimenting with Liu Guoiang's crouching serve.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:30pm

I'm 5'4. But I like experimenting with Liu Guoiang's crouching serve.

Well Liu was mostly using the crouch to hide the ball - he was famous for it and after it was forbidden, he retired... so this might not be the best serve to imitate. His serve technique, however, was superb, i agree...

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:35pm
Actually I was watching a video on Bokett and Liu was practicing with Ma. Ma was practicing serve returns, and when Liu would hit his serve, instead of having the blade drop, he went through the ball and curved the blades motion up. If you don't get what I;m saying I'll try to find the video. Plus there was so much spin on it, Ma missed alot of the returns.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:38pm

Actually I was watching a video on Bokett and Liu was practicing with Ma. Ma was practicing serve returns, and when Liu would hit his serve, instead of having the blade drop, he went through the ball and curved the blades motion up. If you don't get what I;m saying I'll try to find the video. Plus there was so much spin on it, Ma missed alot of the returns.

True, quite often Liu would put some crazy amount of spin on his serves. i watched that happening in some of his matches with Waldner in 1999 and 2000, and J.O. often just couldn't do anything...

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:43pm
And remember he was doing this with PIPS! Imagine if he used a super tacky chinese rubber like Globe 999! Physically impossible to return!
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:44pm
It's not as simple as where you contact the ball, though I do also throw at the 1 o'clock angle. The angle that you throw at isn't really the issue, the issue is the position at the point of contact.

The ball is lined up with my back leg when I make contact. But it also matters where you stand. I stand behind the table completely (forehand position) with my front thigh touching the table. Some people actually step around the side of the table and lean over the table, like Rosskopf I believe. For those people, the contact point is closer to the table than for people who stand behind.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:57pm
You're supposed to throw 12 o'clock for all services but nobody really enforces that.

I throw 1 o'clock for higher serve tosses to make sure it's not over the table when I want to make contact.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2008 at 1:13pm
Yes jkilla, I throw at 1 o'clock for high tossed serves, but more 12 o'clock for short tosses~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
caigichaduoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caigichaduoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2008 at 1:50pm
Yeah. I also toss the ball at 12 o'clock, then swing my rib to move body forward a bit. The consequence is the contact point is slightly behind.
Tossing the ball at 12 is easier and more consistent than at 1, in my case.
AVX Tosios
FH: Giant Dragon Karate Soft
BH: Palio Blitz
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2008 at 1:59pm
I wish there was a training video of Liu teaching how to do his serve~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2008 at 2:11pm

I wish there was a training video of Liu teaching how to do his serve~

I think there was - google it!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic