FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Which Grip is best?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Grip is best?
    Posted: 10/16/2009 at 10:25am
The looser you hold the blade, the more relaxed the arm, which makes the rest of the body relaxed if you use it as well...and if you try to tighten at impact to reduce recoil effect..then the arm will slow down....for experiment: hit a high lob and see which is fastest...so in my opinion..a lose grip followed by a good followthrough so the blade hits the ball at its hightest speed...and the rest is slowing down.(also, if the blade keeps moving as it strikes the ball, instead of stopping as the ball leaves, the ball goes at twice the speed since the ball is travelling attached to the sponge at the speed of the arm movement + the power imparted on it through elasticity!

"im just an experimenting player please consult a coach before trying my ideas."
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 10:40am
I think you should send this to the USATT elite traning program.  Just kidding.  But yeah, in martial arts you want to keep the arm as loose as possible until the point of impact.  Same thing.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 10:56am

if you read carefully, it will explain why since your am wont have a risk of breaking at impact, its to keep it relaxed throughout.

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by sidofmillenium sidofmillenium wrote:

The looser you hold the blade, the more relaxed the arm, which makes the rest of the body relaxed if you use it as well...and if you try to tighten at impact to reduce recoil effect..then the arm will slow down....for experiment: hit a high lob and see which is fastest...so in my opinion..a lose grip followed by a good followthrough so the blade hits the ball at its hightest speed...and the rest is slowing down.(also, if the blade keeps moving as it strikes the ball, instead of stopping as the ball leaves, the ball goes at twice the speed since the ball is travelling attached to the sponge at the speed of the arm movement + the power imparted on it through elasticity!

I think you are grossly over simplifying things at the bottom of you post Sid. You are assuming all of the energy is transfered to linear momentum, non to angular momentum, you are not allowing for any other energy loss, coefficient of restitution etc.

I think you are asking which grip is best for power, but as we know this game is not all about power. The answer is which ever grip allows you to get the ball on the table the most consistently and this will vary for different players, depending on their equipment, level of practice and 100 other factors including what type of shot a player is playing. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:14pm

Ok, but lets focus at 1 thing at a time...would you agree that for power, a loose grip is best?

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:20pm
No idea, I don't go all out for power.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:30pm

The looser you hold the blade, the more relaxed the arm, which makes the rest of the body relaxed if you use it as well!
You should define more precise about loose grip. As I see the looser you hold the blade, the more chance you would throw the blade away in the high speed.

Loose grip is different from relaxing the wrist, body and arm. I have several coaches (including someone from China). All of them told me to hold my blade tight so the surface blade would not turn when contact.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:31pm
yet Hao Shuai doesn't....so there is room for variety...when I loop...I keep my racket closed....it helps.
jpingchow123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

Loose grip is different from relaxing the wrist, body and arm. I have several coaches (including someone from China). All of them told me to hold my blade tight so the surface blade would not turn when contact.

same here.

Amultart CS
Bryce Speed 2.1
Tackifire Special Soft 2.1

YEO
Bryce Speed 2.1
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:34pm
I hope that the pros aren't reading this thread otherwise there could be bats flying everywhere at the next tournament.
jpingchow123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

I hope that the pros aren't reading this thread otherwise there could be bats flying everywhere at the next tournament.

Speaking of flying paddles, I have a friend who loosened his grip for some unknown reason on a really fast attack, it sailed across the room like a frisbee. So in short, table tennis rackets are quite aerodynamic.
Amultart CS
Bryce Speed 2.1

YEO
Bryce Speed 2.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:54pm
I have thrown and broken quite a few rackets...now I know the exact balance...I hold it loose enough to keep my arm relaxed....and hold it in such a grip that blade is locked within my finger...so it doesn't fly away.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 5:02pm

I have thrown and broken quite a few rackets...now I know the exact balance...I hold it loose enough to keep my arm relaxed....and hold it in such a grip that blade is locked within my finger...so it doesn't fly away.
Now you contradict with what you said on the first post "The looser you hold the blade, the more relaxed the arm"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 5:05pm
if I hold it too loose, the racket will just drop...so I hold it as loose as possible.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 10:22pm
Alright, now lets move on.  For control, is tightest grip best or loosest?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 3:41am
loose goes with the flow, tight goes against it.  A loose but active grip may offer better control for advance players...but for beginner...definately tight grip should provide more precision.

"im just an experimenting player please consult a coach before trying my ideas."

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 4:05am

loose goes with the flow, tight goes against it.  A loose but active grip may offer better control for advance players...but for beginner...definately tight grip should provide more precision.

I am not sure how you come up with your claim that advance players loose grip and beginner tight grip. Stop giving wrong claim. You should find coach to teach you basic rather than giving the wrong claim. I doubt that you even understand the basic of grip.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 4:10am
I never said they should...I am talking strictly interms of having control...PAY ATTENTION!!!
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 4:16am
Can you define what you mean by control Sid?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 4:22am
ability to safely return a ball.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 4:46am

Before going further, let me ask if you have a coach? Why don't you consult your coach to try your idea. LOL
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 4:50am

I AM SICK OF THIS...THAT MESSAGE WAS NOT POSTED BY ME, BUT ADMINS ARE EDITING MY POST WITHOUT LETTING OTHERS KNOW THEY POSTED IT, IT IS EXTREMELY UNETHICAL.  I AM ON THE VERGE OF A BREAKDOWN, DONT PUSH ME ANY FURTHER, OR ELSE I WONT GO DOWN ALONE.

GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 9:30am
SMLN, many people don't take you serious, you try to help us, but this is not a good way. You are giving us bad advices, because you are an experimented player.

You are talking about your own approach, what for you work best, work for others maybe not!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 12:06pm

My main agenda is to gain knowledge, which is why you have to tell me if it doesn't work the same for you.  And the reason behind it so we can gain a mutual understanding towards it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic