Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topic ClosedWhich kinda loop motion is best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which kinda loop motion is best?
    Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:26pm

A: Straight
B: Curve away from ball then toward it; concave
C: Curve toward the ball then away from it; Convex

Approaching the ball from the top helps eliminate edges(ex. Kenta).
Approaching the ball from the bottom allows more spin manipulation.(ex. Ma Lin)

Straight motion imo would put most spin on the ball but its necessary to let the ball drop a little or else you risk hitting it with the edge.

Convex works really great on short balls but in power shots, it hard to keep the trajectory off the ball on the table.

Concave in my opinion is on the verge of an extinction.

Now, I created this topic before and it turned into a mess, so we are going to organize this:
A: Which loop motion creates most spin?
B: Which loop motion creates most power?
C: Which loop motion creates most deception?
D: Which loop motion is most flexible/quickest to apply power and position and adjust to unpredicted placement?
E: Which loop is easiest to learn?(should be taught to beginners)
F: Which loop motion is most consistent.(on loop, chops...you can create categories if they vary)
G: Does the same concept apply to chops, serves, pushes, lobs, and sidespins?(If not, then all those questions for these again)

]"im just an experimenting player please consult a coach before trying my ideas."
Sponsored Links

ryanp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 4:30pm
it all depends in your style and what works best for you.
t05 fx, diamant & wing passion medium
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 5:15pm
Don't be silly sid, its personal, I love your enthusiasm for creating posts, but there really is no stroke structure that can prevade all others, the best usually have their own quirks, the most important thing is for good footwork, stroke recovery and economical power, who cares for the shape and style. Kreanga vs Samsonov, who has the 'best' loop, they bothe destroy a ball evenly, its what they do to create the opportunity in a match situation than matters. ALL top players in the world have an equally efficient f/hand loopdrive/kill, there really is no difference, they will all put the ball away equally as efficient given the chance. It's the other stuff that stands them out.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 5:27pm

Thats not true, and there is no reason why it would be.  Style is define by choices a person makes...but they still remain in the laws of physics.

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Don't be silly sid, its personal, I love your enthusiasm for creating posts, but there really is no stroke structure that can prevade all others, the best usually have their own quirks, the most important thing is for good footwork, stroke recovery and economical power, who cares for the shape and style. Kreanga vs Samsonov, who has the 'best' loop, they bothe destroy a ball evenly, its what they do to create the opportunity in a match situation than matters. ALL top players in the world have an equally efficient f/hand loopdrive/kill, there really is no difference, they will all put the ball away equally as efficient given the chance. It's the other stuff that stands them out.

+1

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 7:33pm
I think it is best to just enjoy the game and keep it simple. No offense implied but unless your a world ranked player, you wouldn't need to worry about such technical aspects of the game.
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 7:42pm
For us mortals, the best loop is one that is consistently on the table and placed where I want it to go.  For the world class player, they need to add deception into the placement and that is where the different spins come into effect.  In other words, if I consistently topsin 20 balls back (good pace / spin / placement), I should be able to beat just about anyone, not true at the world class level, they constantly change spin angle and velocity.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

+1

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

Thanks.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 8:30pm

Amen, Wiggy. Well, almost amen...

Originally posted by sidofmillenium sidofmillenium wrote:

Thats not true, and there is no reason why it would be.  Style is define by choices a person makes...but they still remain in the laws of physics.

Although I partially agree with the above statement Sid, I definitely feel the post is naive in its focus.

Sid, I once saw you claim that people's specific body structure has no bearing on swing mechanics. If you truly believe that, then I can see why you would post the occasional off base topic. However, your assumption is incorrect (no offense). It is true that the laws of physics are constant and the ball will react to gravity, force, etc, in a finite and predictable amount of ways. Yet, in humans genetics are variant and different people are built in different ways--which creates a variety of different ways to achieve the "best" swing between people. That is to say, variance in anatomy gives rise to necessary variance in motor outputs.

Unfortunately, this fact is often exaggerated by many and used as a justification for why a certain person feels they don't need to learn "proper" swing mechanics. Setting such poor rationalizations aside, it is still a fact that not all people can achieve the same results in the same way. I share your proclivity for simplifying things and boiling them down to basic principles, but this is not one area where that can be accomplished. Or, at least not completely. We can all agree that swinging with your arm, not using your torso or legs, and having a sloppy, limp wrist is the wrong way to swing. Since this is basically a scientific question involving physics and anatomy, the answer is much like a scientific answer. That is, it's not always easy to see what's true, but it's very easy to see what's false.

It's hard to define the "right" swing mechanics for everyone. Probably impossible. But it's pretty easy to see when someone is doing it wrong. You might be better off making a thread that asks others what they think are the common mistakes made when looping, rather than what the "best" way to loop is.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 10:21pm
Although, i agree there maybe exception, we call all agree that even a monkey's body to an extent is very similar to human...considering such broad notions...I never even got into using parts of body coz I remember that brought out trouble.  I am strictly concerned with how the blade touches the ball for right now.  Besides, Anton, I am having an extremely hard difficulty imagining a player(again, lets set exceptions aside) for whom the fundamentals will be reconsider.  I see your logic, but I am not sure how much the little differences among each other changes much.  Perhaps an example will shut me up.
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by sidofmillenium sidofmillenium wrote:

Perhaps an example will shut me up.

Do not take the bait Anton. It's a trick!

Wink
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 12:52am
I still don't believe any pros ever do a convex loop. The Samsonov video of him doing a backhand loop I don't believe was convex, it's just the curve of looking at the swing from a higher angle, making it look convex.

I use a concave loop for my backhand, and straight angle for my forehand loop, but maybe straight is better for backhand too, I'm not certain.

I believe concave loops make more spin but sacrifice speed.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 1:41am
Just watch Schlager and you will see which one is better.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 1:45am
I've only recently started adding sidespin curve on my loops but I'm only doing it to force the ball to land where I'll be waiting with a more powerful straight loop to kill the point on the next shot. Either that or to help curve the ball off court and away from the opponent so he can't chase it down. I think this added dimension to the looping game is what seperates the really highly rated guys from the good club club and really I figured it out too late in my life :p.

The curved loops are much more difficult to use as a general attacking shot so I'm only hitting straight loops most of the time since I can put much more pace on those. I don't think it's important to be able to curve them both ways at the level I play but it's just something to practice and keep the mind going

ibupro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 1:53am
I agree the sami vid didn't show a convex loop as far as I could see.  Maybe when caught out of position or off balance a pro will do a convex loop.  Against under spin Waldner and some others did loops with very open blade angles with follow thrus which weren't very forward.

I think most convex loops are called lobs.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 2:19am
I think the Straight one is more consistent and more reliable. If you loop differently I think you can change the arc of your loops, changing the amount the topspin jumps up or forward creating variety.

Also from protabletennis.net
"In the case of any stroke where an arc is used we can have a positive or negative arc (Diagram I). The positive arc follows the outgoing trajectory of the ball much more closely and as a result has a higher safety margin. The negative arc places much higher demands on exact timing. However in the case of the loop against a backspin ball where the racket angle is much more open the advantages or disadvantages are not so critical.

Many players think that it�s safer and more natural to have a negative arc with the BH topspin and especially where the feet are more parallel with the end of the table. However for those who want to work with the �tennis� BH it�s important that they have the same positive arc on both wings and don�t need to change from one to the other."

http://protabletennis.net/theoretical/theoretical-science/mechanics-of-table-tennis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 3:04am
Very Well Kenneyy88, I have seen Kreanga playing personally at Killerspin Spinvitational and I saw his backhand IS convex/curves towards the ball as it is approaching it, then away from it/negative arc.

In Tennis, I guess we can all agree that all players use Convex Stroke.  Here is a video of Wang Liqin doing his convex stroke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_2aSx1UtO4&feature=channel look at 5:00, and I have strong confidence in my senses and logic that ALL chinese and Japanese use it as well.  I have seen videos of people hitting straight shots, and they look different from convex...so its not the camera angle.(for instance, at World Championship finals at Zagreb, Ma Lin in long range was using straight against Wang Liqin)  Also, in slow motion close-up replays...it is very easy to tell what the pro's are doing:

Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 3:09am

In general, concave loop does create more spin coz less ball is touched if you the contact with the lower/middle region of the paddle.  But if you let the ball fall, then do a straight motion loop...the arm speed is faster, if you hit the ball with the tip of the racket, there is more torque, and since you are touching less of the ball, it is much easier to apply momentum on it.

Also one thing that I use to identify what kinda stroke pro's are using is: after they are finished with the stroke, if their goes up, its convex, if it goes down, its concave, and if it goes in the straight line....its a straight loop :)
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 3:18am
I think the S-shaped (or Z-shaped for LH) loop will clearly be the best. I know no one uses it yet, but that is just because it hasn't been invented. Once it is invented then everyone will see that it is the best. Yep, definitely the S-shaped (or Z-shaped) loop I have decided it in my head so it must be true.

I had a dream last night and they could hit it really hard using an S-shaped (or Z-shaped) loop and the local Butterfly dealer had mixed up their order and sent them 2 sheets of tackiness chop on a Defence Alpha blade instead of the 2 Tenergys on a Schlager carbon and they could still hit the ball hard.
TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 3:26am
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

I think the S-shaped (or Z-shaped for LH) loop will clearly be the best. I know no one uses it yet, but that is just because it hasn't been invented. Once it is invented then everyone will see that it is the best. Yep, definitely the S-shaped (or Z-shaped) loop I have decided it in my head so it must be true.

I had a dream last night and they could hit it really hard using an S-shaped (or Z-shaped) loop and the local Butterfly dealer had mixed up their order and sent them 2 sheets of tackiness chop on a Defence Alpha blade instead of the 2 Tenergys on a Schlager carbon and they could still hit the ball hard.

+1
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:05am
I had a better dream than JKC, and invented the Hyperparabola shaped loop, I'm going to try it this afternoon, I'll report back later.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:07am
wiggy, oh yeah? i have lots of polygon loops! decagon, hexagon, heptagon, square and even nanogon shaped loops! LOL
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:16am
I'm a conniseur of the nanogen shaped loop myself, have you any tips?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:18am
its a 9-angled style loop nyahahaha, its nonagon btw my mistake
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:24am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

its a 9-angled style loop nyahahaha, its nonagon btw my mistake

Oh well, thats a totally new shape to me, as I say, I prefer the more aesthetic beauty of the pringle shaped hyperparabold shaped loop. Beauty is in the eye of though...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:26am
speaking of that wiggy, i also think its also possible to produce obtuse, isosceles and equilateral triangle loops Big%20smileLOL nyahahaha

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:30am

speaking of that wiggy, i also think its also possible to produce obtuse, isosceles and equilateral triangle loops Big%20smileLOL nyahahaha

Now you're being silly, everyone knows these type of loops are ineffective since the advent of the 'pythagoras therum' shaped chop.....
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:55am
aw, i didnt know pythagoras plays pingpong too LOL

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 5:58am

aw, i didnt know pythagoras plays pingpong too LOL

Greek internationalWink he's ranked 3.14 in GreeceLOL
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2009 at 7:30am
and his rubber symbol is PI hehehe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic