tabletennis11.com

Which Long Pips is best for serves?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Long Pips is best for serves?
    Posted: 07/23/2008 at 4:02pm
I like to have a contrasting rubber on my BH/Secondary side, but that rubber has to be good for serving and receiving serves. What Long Pips can help me generate some good BH serves and be good at receiving (push/chop/flip/smash)?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

celeronx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celeronx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 4:28pm
all are pretty much good for receiving...but the less grippy, the easier it is. But for serving...id have to say the more grippy...to generate atleast a litttle spin, ...just keep in mind...doesnt matter what LP u have for serving, almost always its gonna be dead...so doesnt matter really
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 5:27pm
Yeah, I'm looking to have my cake and eat it too, but . . . 
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 5:29pm
Can you have a long pip to use for serving. No one really does that, like defenders always turn the blades over for BH seres,
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 5:33pm
I could twiddle for serves, but I was hoping  . . .
I think LP is not for me. I want to attack on all fronts, but have something funky for receiving serves. i need a three sided blade.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 6:18pm
Its really only complicated because you use the modified seemiller.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 6:27pm
Sounds like you may like a medium pip like 563.  It can spin on its own, add to spin, and throw a dead ball on a passive block.... and can still be used for flat hit attack.  Not a whole lot of wobbly long pip deception effect though.  Make sure you get the soft sponged 35 degree version.  10 bucks will buy a sheet.  I think 1.5 and 2.0 is available.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Its really only complicated because you use the modified seemiller.

I think it's a more difficult choice for shakehand players. They have to use what they choose on BH side. For me, it's a bonus rubber for special stuff . . . like a penholder that doesn't use RPB all the time.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 6:42pm
Medium pips might be the answer, or a tall short pips like the 799. It must be useful in serving and receiving serve and hitting. Thanks.
IceDefence View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceDefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 7:51pm

I would higly recommend Xiom Guillotine S in 1.3 sponge, I used them before and the national coach in Iceland told I was good at flipping and that with long pips ^^

DHS PG2-L

FH: Butterfly Tackiness Chop II Red 1.9
BH: Joola Poker Black 1.2
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 4:26am
feint soft 1.3 is a great attacking pip, returns serves well, and is grippy enough to serve with if that is what you really want to do.  
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 8:54am
Yasaka Phantom 009 on 1.0mm !!!
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 9:28am
I have been using Guillotine for the last two days to test some new strokes. In addition to its attacking possibilities, it is good for generating loops while chopping - have not seen pips bending much in other rubbers.
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 10:20am
Phantom is a tricky one, certainly; one of the few lp's with the problem of too wide a range of spin. Of course, looking for an active lp, that might suit your purposes, but i will say that it's much more sensitive to incoming service then most long pips (though exponentially less then your average inverted, of course). I'm planning on going domination 1.5 / phantom 1.0 on my donic enforce at the earliest opportunity...
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I could twiddle for serves, but I was hoping  . . .
I think LP is not for me. I want to attack on all fronts, but have something funky for receiving serves. i need a three sided blade.

Just use the regular two sided blade and punch every serve to return it.. Wink
Your hand is like an anti spin.. LOL
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 1:30pm
Dragon kid,
You're probably right. I'm an anti spin machine. I probably need to put a super spinny rubber on one side to add spin. :-).
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 2:13pm
I mean punch the ball with the part of your hand that holds the bat to return any serve.. it works quite well.. LOL
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
bruno_ar2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruno_ar2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 2:16pm
tommy,

I would recommend SP(something like donic baxter (very fast)) instead of LP, mainly because with LP you cannot surprise the opponent so much, but with a SP you can easily generate some spin/speed or not and its much more difficult to read (LP its difficult to generate spin and speed in serves). This is my small experience, not by using but from playing against SP and LP players

besides you will win some point by flat hitting that I saw you do,

All good LP players need much more mobility than SP, or else your opponent will end up playing all your balls way to your BH.

FH: H3B 40
BH: TGS 3-60
Blade: ZJ ALC
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 3:04pm
Thanks for the advice and for the props on my hitting.
I am leaning towards an SP on BH/secondary side. I like the idea of LP and Anti, but it doesn't work well for me. I win by playing fast, then surprising opponent, but not by spin reversal . . . but change up in speed or location. I think I can make this happen with an OX or .6mm SP . . . maybe the 802 or other as you  guys suggest. Does this sound reasonable?
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

I mean punch the ball with the part of your hand that holds the bat to return any serve.. it works quite well.. LOL

Can I actually to that legally?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruno_ar2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 3:23pm
I don't know about OX or .6mm SP , but I think you should use some SP that is not too slow, baxter is quiet fast, don't know any one else,  so that if you end up in a rally, your opponent will get very confused against a SP, I know I get, I try never ending up with rallies against a SP, because I never compensate the lack of spin the ball does not have,  so it always ends up in the net, on the other side it is a little more dificult to  block high spinny loops with a SP (mainly because the rubber does not absorve all the spin, just a little, so its hard to calculate that (years of practice).

celeronx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celeronx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Can I actually to that legally?

yes u can, in the rules..it says u may touch the ball with ur playing hand. so good idea xD LOL
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 3:34pm
Bruno,
Very Cool. Keep in mind my BH is just for some serves, service receiving, and the odd shot. So, I'll reserve the FH rubber for something real punchy.

Celeronx,
I'm in shock. I guess I always thought the hand shots had to be "accidental."
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 3:42pm
Get feint soft. I hear its best for attacking. Mikie Tasei (All Japan Mixed Doubles Champion) uses it, but she flips her paddle over and only does BH serves~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 3:46pm
Yeah, those LPs require the LP stroke. I learned how with 755, but if I didn't do it right a knuckleball floated off the table. 1-point to the other knuckhead for my knuckleball!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 4:48pm
I've seen a couple guys get decent spin on serves from long pips (even ox) by tossing the ball pretty high to get the pips to bend.

I've also heard of perfecting the ability to serve off the label.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
celeronx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celeronx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 4:49pm
i found the 755 much easier to attack with than the feint soft....maybe just me?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruno_ar2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 4:56pm
cole_ely,

maybe I'm misinterpreting wrong your statement, but when the pimps bend, they don't generate spin, it reverses, the more longer and softer the pimp is less spin its generates, that why SP can generate some, because it does not bend and some friction is generated in the surface.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 5:44pm
It depends on the pips.  Some are spinnier on the sides than the tops.  The older drN was definitely slicker on the tips, as it was treated across the tops.

With most long pips that are still legal, the sides aren't much different than the top.  And the extra force of the ball falling simply creates more force, dwell, surface area to work with.

I see what you're saying though, and it makes logical sense.  Just doesn't always turn out to be that way, from what I've seen.  However, I'm sure there are some long pippers lurking who could weigh in and clarify the matter.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
michiganbob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiganbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 6:25pm

I think any pip will be great for service if you vary your serve by flipping, push or dead ball serves, short non spinny serves.  I sometimes will use my spinny side with a topspin serve...long or short and hit the return 75 % of the time with my long pips for a winner..

I am currently looking at the new anti-spin rubbers also. I used to use them years ago, any ideas on what some good ones are.

GIG

Blade: yasaka ma lin soft carbon
rubber: LKT rapid sound 755 ox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic