FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Who has an easier time with choppers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who has an easier time with choppers?
    Posted: 03/07/2008 at 6:01pm
I was wondering, who has an easier time playin choppers? Shakehanders or penholders. I ask because I watched Kan Yo vs. Joo Se Hyuk and Kan Yo had no problem handling his chops with the exception of a few misses. What do you guysthink?
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2008 at 6:06pm
Penholders because of strong third ball. 
PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2008 at 7:08pm
I don't even train penhold, but I can surely do a powerful short dead ball attack
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2008 at 7:52pm
Well like Kan Yo returned Joo's ball with ease, and just with a simple push.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
nb60907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nb60907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2008 at 8:07pm
agreed on the third strong 3rd ball for the pen holder.

I dont think its a fair indication of how Joo was playing though, apparently
the venue did not hold spin very well at all.

Matthew Syed was commenting on it during the Joo / Liqin match on Euro Sport.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2008 at 12:41am
I don't worry about world class players. At the 1500 to 2000 level, my Seemiller with anti or Dr Evil  on the backside to drop chops short work well with the choppers.Smile
nb60907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nb60907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2008 at 5:14pm
The other reason pen holders are generally better against
choppers is becuase there footwork is better than Shakehanders.

Sounds stupid but u need better footwork against choppers due to
the constant spin variation.
pingskills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingskills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2008 at 8:18am
I don't think that it is the grip that makes a big difference against choppers. It is a players ability to read the spin that makes them good or bad against choppers.
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2008 at 8:28am
penholders since there grip naturally comes under the ball, pretty much everything thing naturally is stronger with penholders but the bh is naturally weak so they must costantly train on there bh be it j pen or c pen

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2008 at 9:46am
I would guess pretty even, because though penholders have the stronger forehand, their backhands leave a void, and if they move around the backhand corner to use their forehand, they are left open to a strong sneak attack, as we have seen Joo and more modern defenders do many a time.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
liondefence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liondefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 10:23pm
I say Shakehanders. From my experience, penholders have the most trouble playing against my backspin. It's easier to loop with shakehand and with power. I find that penholders have trouble with looping high and don't generate as much power as shakehanders. They're more of the driving type. I've also seen a couple of games of JOO and Ma Lin. Ma Lin had to put some extra effort into his loops and still lost. Also, since penholders are mostly attackers, defenders benefit from their shots with LPs. Shakehanders are more versatile and can change the game up, making it more difficult for choppers.
Mind over power.

Donic Defplay Senso (FL)
FH: Globe 999 N-in
BH: TSP CURL P1-R
Overgrip: Wilson(White)
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 11:36pm
I would say it has nothing to do with grips.  Given both players with SH and PH and the ability to loop any variety of backspin, it is the one that can read the spin better that has the upper hand.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 11:45pm
I find it interesting that Joo always gives Ma Lin a heck of alot of trouble.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liondefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 11:53pm
lol, I think it's cuz Ma Lin's always so hot headed and so it affects his game. Joo's just chillin' on the other side laughing on the inside, cuz that's the ultimate defensive weapon ;).
Mind over power.

Donic Defplay Senso (FL)
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 11:56pm
Also Wang Liqin killed Joo at Guangzhou so thats + 1 for shake handers.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liondefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 12:04am
True, and Timo Boll as well. His 2 winged loops were too much for Joo. Even though Joo's my fav player, he does have his weaknesses.
Mind over power.

Donic Defplay Senso (FL)
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 12:06am
Joo is pretty cool, but Oh is my fav Korean. I miss him.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liondefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 12:45am
"Oh"? I've never heard of him. Was he also a defender?
Mind over power.

Donic Defplay Senso (FL)
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 12:20pm
I play penhold and I personally think shake-handers have an advantage against chops if they are taking the return on the left or the right of the body, penholders have an advantage if they are taking the return in front, or a bit to the backhand side.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 12:39pm
In my opinion, there is no style that can play well against modern defenders. May be it will work against classic defenders. If you are good at reading spin, then you can play well against.

In the case of Joo Se Hyuk, he has to have his forehand loop working. If that does not work, he is in trouble. I was able to see fear covering his face whenever he does not have his forehand working, and that will lead to his backhand failing. Joo and his coach have personally told me the same reason. The top spin players have one focus, that is get their top spin working. In the case of a modern defender, he has to have his defense and attack working, and at some point you can't get balance to keep both going, and fail.

Against Kan Yo, Joo had trouble with his forehand loop working.

Every Chinese player has hard time against Joo Se Hyuk as well as Chen Weixing. I would say Wang Liqin and Ma Lin have more trouble.

obrenovcanin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obrenovcanin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 12:52pm
I believe that it has little to do with the grip they use and more with the style of the game they play.Most of Pen-holders are drivers,power-attackers where 3 the 5 ball attack is common.I would say that shake-handers who are versatile and flexible in there game can play well against the variety of spins coming form the defender. Mix of midium hard and soft spins (well placed) followed by the short drop shots can move the deffender back and forth and be very effective. Wink
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 1:26pm
it doesn't matter if you're a penholder or a shakehander. what matters is that you know how to read spin and then know how to return it.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by liondefence liondefence wrote:

Talkin bout Oh Sang Eun.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 5:33am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Originally posted by liondefence liondefence wrote:

Talkin bout Oh Sang Eun.

He has excellent ball control like Samsonov and a powerful backhand that looks like he's flicking his wrist.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 1:05pm
I miss him so much.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic