Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why a backspin ball curves down?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why a backspin ball curves down?!
    Posted: 02/25/2009 at 6:57pm
http://knol.google.com/k/claes-johnson/why-a-topspin-tennis-ball-curves-down/yvfu3xg7d7wt/17#Correct_Physical_Explanation_of_the_Magnus_Effect

I couldn't understand a thing the article mentioned...any smarties out there to give us a simple version?

Personally, I have noticed that that when I kill lobs, the ball goes up, but when I kill short ball below the net through a chop shot, (I hit the chop right on the ball-counter intuitive-b/c ball is supposed go to net, but it rises up, but it also falls down as quick as topspin, which doesn't make sense....and this is what this article is trying to explain.
Sponsored Links

gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 7:13pm
I'm sorry that article made little sense to me. Though I usually use the Bernoulli effect to explain trajectories. Although the Magnus effect is more appropriate, however I'm led to believe the conditions required for this is a theoretical cylinder. Much better is to look up Robins effect, where a theoretical sphere is used. 
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 7:19pm
Well I think the magnus effect is appropriate for the topspin, yeah it can help in the backspin but not that much I guess. gekogark1212 is right!
jphillips348 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jphillips348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 7:26pm

Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?

ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 7:29pm
maked perfect sense to me, its the same as the bernouilli effect.  If the ball is moving to the right with topspin than the top of the ball is moving right and the bottom left.  The bottom will them be moving to a similar speed due to its direction with the airflow along the ball and the turbulence will be less.  Tne top however is moving towards the air flow and will grip it according to its friction with air and create turbulence on top of the ball.  The air will then be moving quicker on the bottom of the ball and the pressure will be less and the ball will be pushed down to the lower pressure

BTW the title is wrong backspin curves up, topspin down
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 7:51pm
yes ffx-me, that is the current understanding we share here. But the article is attempting to explain how a low velocity ball with heavy backspin would have laminar flow on top, but turbulent flow below with slip (ie, low friction) causing a BACKSPIN ball to curve DOWN.

However after re-reading it many times, I'm still a point where I accept the premise, but reject the conclusion.

...and now my brain hurts. Iz cannot brain today. I haz a dumb.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 9:06pm
lol the slow backspin ball thing seems like crap to me
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 10:00pm
Right now, I don't care why something curved down or up, as long as I can loop it back strongly.
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 1:31am
     I have never seen a backspin ball curve down under any conditions.  The theory may be right but it must call for conditions which basically never occur in table tennis. 
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 1:34am
Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

I agree, I'd like to know the ball speed and rpm at which this would actually occur.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 1:43am
not to be overly simplistic, but wouldn't gravity be the most likely candidate to cause any ball to curve down under any circumstances?
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 1:49am
Absolutly not.  If you chop smash a ball, it will curve up, the forces from the spinning ball over power gravity. Smile
IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 9:41am
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

not to be overly simplistic, but wouldn't gravity be the most likely candidate to cause any ball to curve down under any circumstances?

LOL and there he goes for another deadly dive! nice
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 9:45am
Originally posted by danhs danhs wrote:

I have never seen a backspin ball curve down under any conditions.  The theory may be right but it must call for conditions which basically never occur in table tennis. 

Me either but I have seen very strong choppers be able to skid the ball so it hardly bounces (that's very hard to play :S) I've only seen one person be able to do it often (a girl too)

Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 11:25am
Originally posted by danhs danhs wrote:

Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

I agree, I'd like to know the ball speed and rpm at which this would actually occur.

This is interesting, I will ask one my friend who study mechanics for the answer, but I think we will need the mass of the ball as input data.

What is the mass of the table tennis ball, for example Butterfly 3 star?
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 11:35am
I have found it - 2.7 grams :)
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
ppmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 12:52pm
If you have super-underspiny serves (like the ones Ma Lin shows in some video), you can see the phenomenon.

I'll have stab at it. Let's look at an underspin ball in normal table tennis condition. The force that curves the ball depends on the velocities of the top and bottom of the ball relative to surrounding air.  Once the relative velocities cross some threshold, a different force takes over to curve the ball the other way.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by ppmax ppmax wrote:

Once the relative velocities cross some threshold, a different force takes over to curve the ball the other way.

That doesn't make sense at all.  Ma Lin's ghost serve drops quickly simply because it's very low, and it has very little horizontal velocity after the 1st bounce where the heavy backspin slow the ball down a lot, which is also why the serve's very short and the ball comes back.
ppmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 1:21pm
When we say "a spiny ball curves", we mean it curves more to one direction compared to the path of a no-spin ball.

If you can make super-underspiny slow serves, you can see that the ball dives faster than if you make a slow no-spin serve.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Absolutly not.  If you chop smash a ball, it will curve up, the forces from the spinning ball over power gravity. Smile

Right. Playing "hollywood doubles" I know this to be absolutely true... up until gravity and friction slow down the ball and it starts arching or falling down again.

I guess I had a hard time understanding the premise of the downward spinning physics in the original link.

Let me get this right... The spin is the same direction, but the lateral force (i.e. the swing as the ball is stricken) is what determines the vertical direction of the ball -- like whether ball drops on a loop, or it curves upward on a forceful chop. Spin is the same but on a chop the ball is traveling in the opposite direction of the spin -- so it goes up - makes perfect sense. (this that floating attribute on chops) On a loop, ball spin is going same direction so the spin is allowed to contribute to a downward arc.

So could someone who is much smarter than I am explain why and how a backspin ball would curve downwards ... and especially how it could happen in a game of table tennis? Seems like a powerful mechanical device would have to spin the ball with tons of "spin" force and very little lateral force. Seems it is impossible for a human to do this.Confused
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 3:10pm
Hi dauntless,
     I don't want to get into a big discussion of this on line as these usually degenerate.
     I do not think you will actually see it in an actual game either. The theory is from the fact that a ball going at a "normal" speed causes turbulance behind the ball. If the velocity is very slow, the air dragged by the spinning ball" can cause turbulance at a place that causes a downwards force. While I think it "might" be possible, it does not mean I think it will happen in an actual game.
     Smile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 3:17pm
I FINALLY GOT IT!

This is simplest version of the answer so everyone will understand.  All these fancy names describe difference instances of the same thing.(ex. turbulence, laminar, magnus, bernoulli, etc.)

HERE IT IS:

When you hit the ball straight w/ chop, the lower part of the ball is exposed to more friction than higher part of the ball....so naturally....it so to speak bounces off and rides upward(gravity is balancing it out and making a curve)  but at the same time, the part of the ball at front is recieving friction that makes it go upward....but its negligable b/c the ball is travelling so fast...teh friction its recieving at its top is much heigher....this is why slow chopped balls also curved down...and also whenever someone tries to do a highly spinny but slow topspin...it always ends up being high(even by Timo Boll.)  b/c when speed is low and ball is topspinning.....the friction the friction in front of the ball(where its path is) is greater than those on the side, which is topspin rides up in slow speed and backspin rides down.....but the law is opposite in high speed...guess I'll have to stop trying to read the spin by the ball's curve.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Hi dauntless,
     I don't want to get into a big discussion of this on line as these usually degenerate.
     I do not think you will actually see it in an actual game either. The theory is from the fact that a ball going at a "normal" speed causes turbulance behind the ball. If the velocity is very slow, the air dragged by the spinning ball" can cause turbulance at a place that causes a downwards force. While I think it "might" be possible, it does not mean I think it will happen in an actual game.
     Smile

Agreed.LOL
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by jphillips348 jphillips348 wrote:

Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?

"This IS  the good stuff, snakes and sparklers"
jphillips348 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jphillips348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Swiffers Swiffers wrote:

Originally posted by jphillips348 jphillips348 wrote:

"This IS  the good stuff, snakes and sparklers"

someone got it :)
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 3:44am
I don't think the explanation given in this article is fully accepted by the scientific community and is not taught in schools or universities. From what I can tell it is an attempt to redefine the status quo. Most of the "findings" seem legit but the slow underspin curving down is definitely incorrect just from actual observation.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:07am
Actually I agree w/ the article, if you play w/ some really good choppers.....when they put  a lot of backspin on a ball that has no pace...the trajectory makes it seem like its no spin....b/c the ball actually goes straight!(so in table tennis...the ball may not ride up...but the trajectory may still confuse you!)  Being beware of the worst in principle may prepare you for those moments at deuce points in reality!(especially against defensive players weather they are looper or choppers....but those who like to do heavy spins w/ no pace.)
Recanter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 10:25am
To say an under spin ball can curve down is the same as saying a topspin ball can curve up!

Well that's the wisdom in my simple logic :P
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH: BTY Tenergy 64 2.1
BH: BTY EJ Max
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 7:25pm
Yes its true!  This is why anytime there is a slow ball w/ intense topspin...it always ends up being a little high!  Even after bounce!
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 1:01am
no no no sido, I'm pretty sure Recanter was being sarcastic. Topspin balls do not curve up and backspin does not curve down. Plus your statement about backspin balls going straight is correct IMO, but contradictory to what the article is saying (i disagree with that part of the article).
In order to impart large amounts of topspin to a ball while keeping it slow you have to use a more upward stroke which will send the ball along a higher trajectory. after the bounce the topsping will kick the ball forward at a faster rate than it was travelling before.

My previous statement wasn't in reference to whether or not people here do or should believe the article. I'm just making the point that the view in the article is not the one taught in schools/universities and apparently hasn't been approved by the scientific community (passed peer review).
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic