Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will a robot help? If so, which?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old-Man-Southpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will a robot help? If so, which?
    Posted: 01/29/2012 at 12:52pm
I have an old one, but it can't handle 40 mm balls, so I fear that it might hurt my game to practice the shots I want to get better at on it.  After resuming the sport after a 20 odd year lapse, I finally played a tournament this past yr and got a mid 1600's rating, but to be honest I feel its maybe 50 points high.  I'm trying to get to where my shots work more often.  I think if i just do that it will put me in the 1800's because there will be people that I lose to now that won't be beating me as often.

I tried a robot doing the shots I want to get better at for maybe 5 min each, and it seemed to work.  The thing I'm wanting out of it is to get a few of my shots from where they are currently "iffy" as to whether they will land, to a more consistent, almost guaranteed status.

The shots I'm trying to perfect are my low ball forehand smash that I don't really know how I do, forehand chop return of a loop or other topspin shot, my long pips flat smash, and long pips topspin return and chop return of a loop, and maybe even a forehand loop.

My thought is to spend 5 or 10 min per day at each, maybe doing 100 balls of each and counting the number that I get back well.  I suspect that percentage would start fairly low on some of them, but the idea would be to get them to where they hit almost all the time, and get that same effect as well,  hopefully when playing other people.

I'd also like to learn some footwork, too, because there are many points I lose because I don't go for the ball in time or correctly for a lot of shots, and thinking the programmable ones like the Newgy 1050 would help with that.

I do have a friend I play with who is a certified coach, but he doesn't have a robot.  I try to limit the lessons type stuff to where I really need it, and then try to go practice it, but its hard to do when everyone wants to play matches.

Anyway, I'm considering a robot like the Newgy 1050, figuring I might use it for 3 to 6 months till the shots I'm trying to improve work, and then sell it once I get to where I don't need it for the obvious simple shots.
--- Push/Chop or Attack ---

Blade: TT Piet Off/All Custom 5 ply

FH: Rakza 7

BH: DTec.S Long pips

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48168
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2012 at 1:42pm
I have a Newgy 1050 and have used it extensively for about 2yrs.  I think it will do everything you want. 

One thing to consider with the 1050 is that in order to have the pre-programmed drills work properly you need to have the robot placed at the right height and distance behind the table.  The drills do not work if you just sit it up on the table.  It needs to be placed such that the throwing head is a the same location as that of a Newgy 2050 attached to the end of the table.  Buying the Newgy Robo Caddy to go with the 1050 solves this problem.  If you set the height of the caddy box even with the table top and push the front right up against the table, the 1050 will sit at the correct spot to make all the drills work.   Of course you could make or perhaps buy something cheaper, but then you have to figure out all the correct measurements. 

If you are not interested in the drills you can just sit the 1050 on the table, or behind it on a bench and chair and use the "Normal" (non-programmed) mode.  One nice feature of the 1050 in the "Normal" mode is the ability to simulate the randomness of hitting with a partner by setting both a range of locations (right to left) and a range of ball speeds.   These get combined randomly so that you get the kind of variety of incoming balls that you get when drilling with a partner even though you have control of the general area and type shot coming at you.

If you get a 1050 and want to practice against loops I would strongly suggest moving the 1050 several feet back from the table and a little lower than the normal height.  This allows it to imitate the speed and tracetory of a loop better than in the close to the table position.

If you do get a robot please post back about your choice and how it worked out.

Good luck with your practice.

Mark
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2012 at 8:41pm
Keep in mind the type of shots you want to practice against vs the robots limits. Robots like the newgy ones use a single throwing wheel which means all balls are loaded with spin, generally far more than most ppl hit. A simple double wheel offers less maximum spin but far more realistic balls to practice against.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2012 at 10:48pm
Golden Dragoon,

I have always felt it was the other way around with the Newgy.   I never can get enough spin when it imitates serves (especially short serves) or I try to get it to simulate slow spinny loops.   In order to get enough spin for what I think are regular loops I have to move it back off the table so I can crank the speed up. 

Is your experience with the older 1040/2040 machines or the newer 1050/2050 machines?

Is there any particular shot simulation (pushes, chops, serves, drives, etc) where you find that the spin is greater than actual players produce?

Regardless, you make a good point about the Newgy being a one-wheel robot and how the 2-wheel ones can produce a wider variety of shots.  It is something the original poster should consider.

Mark
TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2012 at 11:24pm
Find someone who will be doing multi-balls for you.  It is a lot better than practicing on a robot.  The robot cannot give you what another person can.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 7:47am
Originally posted by TTeveryday TTeveryday wrote:

Find someone who will be doing multi-balls for you.  It is a lot better than practicing on a robot.  The robot cannot give you what another person can.

Very true... IF u can find someone willing to train and not play games/try to hit winners. I got a ipong pro plus a cheap catch net. For the small price I can practice against a wide variitey of typical shots. Its a decent choice if u want a cheap option. Best option I like is Y&T 989H. Its ability to do realistic drills that are like real points in a game is hard to beat but it has a tall price tag to match. I still want one though...

My exp with newgy is with a 2040. Its topspin shots have more spin than anyone I play against in my grade by a good margain as most a more or less flat hitters. There are a handfull that can do decent underspin but any setting over 1 on the newgy will blow their spin away. The best thing about the newgy is I can use it for free at my local club to warm up far better than the other players. Other than that I just find it unrealitic.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Golden Dragoon,

I have always felt it was the other way around with the Newgy.   I never can get enough spin when it imitates serves (especially short serves) or I try to get it to simulate slow spinny loops.   In order to get enough spin for what I think are regular loops I have to move it back off the table so I can crank the speed up. 

Mark

I have a Newgy 1040 as well, and I feel that the shots are actually less spinny than the ones hit by my clubmates. Smile
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 8:11am
I've spent many hours on a Newgy 2040, and I find that the topspin is good, but the backspin has to be set very high for the ball's flight to land deep on the table.  It's very unrealistic.

Great for footwork exercises though.

One thing I would say - if you're happy with the features of the 1050, I would go that bit further and get the 2050 because you get a recyling system.  You won't have to keep stopping to fill the ball hopper up again yourself.

And if you're going that far, perhaps consider the SuperMaster Gen5 robot, which is very similar to the 2050 but cheaper...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 4:50pm
I think what I have was called a 2030 or something.  It looks like a 2040 but only can handle 38 mm balls, of which I have about 200, LOL.  It still works and has a net which I enhanced with a huge bird net, but what a waste, because it can't use the newer balls and doesn't have the digital controller, so can't do any footwork type drills, which is something I desperately need.  Currently I'm like a tree 1/2 the time, and I kind of plant roots a couple feet from the end of the table unless I'm chopping, and any fast ball to the corner wins a point against me because I can't get myself to move.

I wish I had a partner willing to do more drilling of these shots.  I have one partner willing to loop at me, and I chop back, and another willing to do serve and attack type drills, both of which are very good for my game as those shots have improved, and likely will improve more, but neither "likes" my pips smashing at all, and in general nobody likes enduring a lot of missed shots, like my forehand low smash is also prone to.  Myself, I see the shocked, frustrated, and disgusted looks (even from 2000+ level players) I get when those shots to hit the table, and know they are extremely difficult to return, because I can count on my fingers the number of times they have come back for anything more than a second killer hit, which says to me that they are the shots I need to be able to use, and concentrate on making more consistent.

I guess the conclusion I'm coming to here is that I should just try it with the old robot and small balls, and hope it doesn't make things worse.  My pips smash and topspin counter attack have such terrible hit percentages that they pretty much can't get a lot worse anyway, and if it helps those, then I will try the forehand shot which currently hits about 40 or 50%, but almost never comes back except from lightning fast blockers, none of whom has been able to block back more than 2 hits thus far.  If I could keep its bullet like speed, get it to hit more often, and learn to control it to left, center or right, it would be awesome, as its given me winning games against 1900+ level players recently, as it is.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 4:56pm
You should get in touch with Newgy - they used to sell upgrade kits to convert to 40mm balls.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 5:12pm
I did and its $225 + shipping, so its not worthwhile.  For $25 more I could just buy a 1040 that I could position wherever, or for another $100 get a 1050 

The problem is that what I'm mostly hearing here is that its not really worth drilling with a robot at all.  If it can't help me get my hit percentage for a particular shot from 33% up to 80 or 90% over a period of a few months at 10 or 15 min per day, its not worth spending money on.

Edited by Old-Man-Southpaw - 01/30/2012 at 5:16pm

I_got_skill_son View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_got_skill_son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 1:19am
I think a robot is a great idea. It is my best training partner. It doesnt talk at all, and it does the drills I want to do. haha. I have the Newgy 2050. its 700 but it is worth it. 
Think about it this way. You say your 1600. So your practice partners are about 12-1900ish. Every once in a while you will get a good ralley going, but most of the time you prob miss within the first 5-7 hits. with a robot you can get into a rythem and get your feel for the ball and your motion. ( your start point and your end point ). This is the start of cosistancy and your way to 2000+. Then there is foot work. Once again, your partners will miss more often and get you out of your rythem, thus not giving you the consistancy that is needed.
When you can create a rythem with your shots. You become more prepared for those ralley that go for many hits. Remember its all muscle memory. Your body doesn't know the diffrence between a robot and a person. All it knows is, it better be ready for the next shot beacuse another ball is coming.
I love my robot and will gladly recomend it to anyone.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Old-Man-Southpaw Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:

I think what I have was called a 2030 or something.  It looks like a 2040 but only can handle 38 mm balls, of which I have about 200, LOL.  It still works and has a net which I enhanced with a huge bird net, but what a waste, because it can't use the newer balls and doesn't have the digital controller, so can't do any footwork type drills, which is something I desperately need.  Currently I'm like a tree 1/2 the time, and I kind of plant roots a couple feet from the end of the table unless I'm chopping, and any fast ball to the corner wins a point against me because I can't get myself to move.
I wish I had a partner willing to do more drilling of these shots.  I have one partner willing to loop at me, and I chop back, and another willing to do serve and attack type drills, both of which are very good for my game as those shots have improved, and likely will improve more, but neither "likes" my pips smashing at all, and in general nobody likes enduring a lot of missed shots, like my forehand low smash is also prone to.  Myself, I see the shocked, frustrated, and disgusted looks (even from 2000+ level players) I get when those shots to hit the table, and know they are extremely difficult to return, because I can count on my fingers the number of times they have come back for anything more than a second killer hit, which says to me that they are the shots I need to be able to use, and concentrate on making more consistent.
I guess the conclusion I'm coming to here is that I should just try it with the old robot and small balls, and hope it doesn't make things worse.  My pips smash and topspin counter attack have such terrible hit percentages that they pretty much can't get a lot worse anyway, and if it helps those, then I will try the forehand shot which currently hits about 40 or 50%, but almost never comes back except from lightning fast blockers, none of whom has been able to block back more than 2 hits thus far.  If I could keep its bullet like speed, get it to hit more often, and learn to control it to left, center or right, it would be awesome, as its given me winning games against 1900+ level players recently, as it is.

Lol I know your pain. Too many people are keen to practice their forehand slap to your backhand rather than do proper training. Personally I would love to train against your pips as they offer the best type of training there is (beat yourself). You just don't find many people willing to improve their game these days.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 6:40am
Being left handed, my forehand hits naturally to most people's (right handed) backhand, and my backhand typically gets hit at by their forehand.

Last night I went to play, and as usual there was almost nobody willing to just hit the ball, and no real table time to practice, except with one friend, who is a good player (and nice guy) that hits fast spinny balls to the corners, and pips drop shots in at the net, but plays a completely odd game otherwise.  I guess I should see that as footwork practice.  The rest of the time was spent losing a very frustrating match against another player (who I can beat 3-0 if I'm playing well and my attack shots are hitting) before I went home early in disgust.  My forehand chop missed most of the times I tried it.  My pips smash hit one time out of maybe 5 tries in the match, maybe twice in the 35 mins I played out of probably 8 or 10 tries.  I recall 2 or 3 points where my forehand smash won the point, and only once did the low forehand bullet shot land on the table out of probably 4 or 5 tries.  The game I won was by weird serves, pushing, chopping, and only maybe 2 or max 3 of the 11 points were made by hitting the ball on pop ups, and I had no fun even winning the game because the only way I could win points was to avoid attacking. 

I probably should record the play or at least make notes after each game while its fresh in my mind what happened.

Anyway, it was very frustrating, enough to make me just want to break the paddle in half and quit playing.  I get so many nights like that. The problem is I'm trying to do this for fun, exercise, and stress reduction, and if I play badly its no fun at all, and I go home stressed and unhappy, instead of playing 2 or 3 hours and getting some good exercise.

Edited by Old-Man-Southpaw - 01/31/2012 at 6:42am

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 7:19am

I did and its $225 + shipping, so its not worthwhile.  For $25 more I could just buy a 1040 that I could position wherever, or for another $100 get a 1050 

The problem is that what I'm mostly hearing here is that its not really worth drilling with a robot at all.  If it can't help me get my hit percentage for a particular shot from 33% up to 80 or 90% over a period of a few months at 10 or 15 min per day, its not worth spending money on.

None of my coaches has ever told me that.   They've both told me that drilling with a robot surely improves your game if you are under 2000, and if the robot has variable spin, you can use it even more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2012 at 1:05pm
Well, its just too frustrating missing so many obvious shots/points, so I ordered a 1050.  Of course, as Murphy would have predicted, as soon as I placed the order, my forehand low smash/drive shot finally started hitting the table pretty well, and I beat one guy rated over 1950 and another rated almost 1900 in the past couple days, because if it hits the table not too high a percentage come back, and those that do, I'm there waiting for. 

People are still beating me on the corners, though, and the only thing that will help that is better setups and better reaction times, both of which will require a lot of practice to get to where they are automatic.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2012 at 7:05am

Well, its just too frustrating missing so many obvious shots/points, so I ordered a 1050.  Of course, as Murphy would have predicted, as soon as I placed the order, my forehand low smash/drive shot finally started hitting the table pretty well, and I beat one guy rated over 1950 and another rated almost 1900 in the past couple days, because if it hits the table not too high a percentage come back, and those that do, I'm there waiting for. 
People are still beating me on the corners, though, and the only thing that will help that is better setups and better reaction times, both of which will require a lot of practice to get to where they are automatic.

As far as I am concerned there is little substitue for practice and experience. If you get plenty of time on the robot you will quickly get to the point where your shots are automatic and you can focus on what your opponent is doing more and more. This will give you the edge to get to those corner shots before they are even made. I will soon be replacing my toy robot with the ultimate robot. I will be more inclined to hit that than go to a local club for practice anyday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2012 at 4:11pm
Well, it arrived today.  Last night I went to a club, practiced for an hour or more, but didn't get to practice my hard FH shot or pips smash, and then proceeded to get trounced 3 - 0, because neither would hit the table and I couldn't get myself to react at all for balls going to the corners.  

My plan is to to find a way to log my current ability or lack thereof vs the robot once I find some drills that can test these shots, and then as time goes by, I'll just watch to see if my skills vs the robot improve, and if that translates to any improvement in real matches or not.

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 12:23am
One interesting article (I think it is in Newgy's coaching archives) talked about how difficult you should make your drills.  Basically if you are trying to work on your from you set the ball speed, ball frequency, and variation of location slow enough/small enough so that you are landing 90% of the balls on the table.   If you start very much below normal game speed and frequency then you can gradually increase the items more toward game speed.

Once you think you have your form consistant you want to set the speed, frequency, and location variation at values where you are landing 50 to 60 percent.  Once you get up to executing 80 to 90 percent then you make the drill more difficult so you drop back to the 50 to 60 percent success range.  Maybe at first you just increase speed and frequency with minimal variation in speed and location.  Once you are up to realistic game conditions then add more speed variation and more location variation.  Maybe you even start making the ball frequency even greater than you would experience in a real game. 

Good luck.

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 12:50am
I didn't notice that when I was there, maybe I'll look again.

I agree with the concept.  I had a hard time getting it setup to where the speed calibration landed the ball correctly.  I had to set the angle for 7 instead of 8 and reduce speed down to 3.  

Once I did that I tried drill #6 because its similar to my real world problem where I want my low smash FH to work (I'm left handed, so those are the 2 balls to a righty's backhand), and also need my BH to return some sort of ball that isn't easily smashed, like low to the body, for example.  I had to increase the wait adjust to 60% to be able to handle it well.  Once I get a USB to Serial adapter that works I think I'll use #6 as a starting point to create a good practice routine for me.  I like the idea of slowing it till you can do it, then once you master it, increase the tempo a bit, and learn to master it at the faster tempo before increasing the tempo again.  I'm getting about 100 balls out of it, and hopefully will get better at it enough soon that I can at least count the ones that miss.  Initially, my number of misses is high, but the good thing is that at least on the FH side, I'm using the low smash that I had hoped to practice.

PS: after playing with it an hour, I can say for sure that it will be a lot more useful than my old 38mm robot was, and a lot more useful than it would have been if I'd just upgraded it to 40mm balls.  The drill thing is real good, and as far as dead balls, I can just practice with people with long pips.

Edited by Old-Man-Southpaw - 02/11/2012 at 12:56am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic