Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wtf is wrong with my form?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evilelf2407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilelf2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wtf is wrong with my form?
    Posted: 12/24/2011 at 4:16pm
Ive been USATT 2000-2100 for about a year now and I honestly hate my form, well at least I think theres something wrong with it. I can't figure it out and it drives me crazy. I feel like I really need to go see a high level coach and have them yell at me or something. I'm a two winged looper, here are some videos of me playing with a couple other friends of mine. 

Yell at me, tell me what im doing wrong because it is driving me crazy. I know something is "off" but I can't figure it out. 

I'm in the light blue shirt!

I'll take alllllll and any suggestions and try to work on them, then I will try to post a new video in a couple weeks and see if I have picked up on it. I'll post some videos of myself doing multiball as well, which may also help with picking apart my stroke(s).

Edited by evilelf2407 - 12/24/2011 at 4:17pm
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 4:35pm
I think you should followthrough more in front of your body. Your stroke seems to always be only slightly infront of you, and even behind your head once, which is fine for spin, but reduces power. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 4:36pm
Hi,

Here is a youtube of Huang Kang Kang who was coached in Beijing, member of the Singapore team and Killerspin's team, and approx. 2250 player. Note how she moves her body and arms in unison, rotates fully on her forehand and how quickly she recovers. Also, her footwork and SPEED! She is very relaxed and uses a combination of torque in her upper and lower body with the hips as a fulcrum to create power and speed. I think the visual of her form is very illustrative and helpful. 
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 4:37pm
Nothing obviously wrong. Importantly, you are light on your feet. Stop beating on yourself and give your opponents some credit. They were probably some way behind you in standard and are now improving because of practicing with you, knowing your weaknesses etc. So points are not as easy.
And of course at 2100 you need proper coaching to take you further. There are several on this forum to give you good video advice.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilelf2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 4:40pm
Thanks guys, just the kind of stuff im looking for. I do sort of a pretty short stroke for how tall I am, something I always figured but could never figure out why. 
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 4:42pm
Foot/leg work is a little too casual.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 5:02pm
The most obviously "off" about your form is that you don't drop your shoulder for your FH shots.  You do a great job of adjusting your body's height by bending/straightening the legs and back to adjust for the height of the ball, so it looks especially off when your two shoulders are always pretty level(i.e. as the only none-professional looking part of your form).  Now, dropping the shoulders by itself doesn't do anything, it's actually a sign that you're engaging your oblique muscles in your stroke.  Check out Timo's FH drive and note how he drops his shoulder, also note how it's not actually his shoulder dropping, it's his whole FH side of the body dropping but you only see it clearly on the shoulder:

If you prefer, here's also a vid of Ma Long's FH:

I only see you dropping the shoulder like that with balls that have fallen below the table and/or have underspin, in which case you should drop the shoulder even further.  Anyhow take it for whatever it's worth!  I'm probably a level below you, though I study the game very carefully and I've always subscribed to the idea that if you can't explain it, then you haven't really learned it, so I always try to explain (mostly to myself LOL) what I've observed.

Edited by dingyibvs - 12/24/2011 at 5:08pm
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilelf2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 5:14pm
love it, thank you. 

the other thing im always sort of confused about is whether or not i need to stand lower. im a taller guy so when i play its hard to tell if im standing low enoguh or not. my knees are bent and i sort of have a wide stance, but then on video it looks like im not standing low enough compared to other players. 

Edited by evilelf2407 - 12/24/2011 at 5:15pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 5:24pm
Your serves are nothing, you are going through the motions and just putting the ball into play with no structure to a follow on stroke. You are actually about as good as you can be for your standard, there is no 'problem' and it certainly can't be fixed by any answer from a TT forum. Honest answer from me, If you want some advice you can PM me, and I give it freely.
The Older I get, The better I was.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilelf2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 5:29pm
as far as my serves, i get compliments on how deceptive they are a lot of the time. they dont look like a lot but the motion is the same for side spin or underspin or whatever other spin i want to put on it, which works well enough to either win points straight away or give me an easy ball. 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 5:33pm
You may have a habit of going backwards, so just remember don't go back unless forced, If you see your best forehand shots in the vid were always at the table
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 5:57pm
Just LOVE the thread name, btw. LOL  Got a good chuckle form it LOL

Your form looked pretty darn good to me.  Seems like you should get your legs more involved in your strokes -- use more footwork and just get the lower body involved in your shots more (bending the knees, more rotation at the hips; what the people above had mentioned).  That would make your technique look better and put more pace/spin on the ball.  
Keep up the good work! Smile
Arcarius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 8:07pm
My opinion is that you aren't bending down enough, and you're not going forward in your stroke enough. Your back is basically straight while you are looping, and if you look at pros play, their backs are a bit arched when they loop. It also doesn't seem like you are using your stomach muscles enough to turn when you are looping - and try to go more forward in your strokes.
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 8:32pm
Apart from what everyone else has posted, one of the things i noticed was your wrist is permanantly "closed" instead of being extended so your blade looks like it's a full extension of your body. With some practice you'll be able to close it at the end of your stroke and get a little more spin and speed. It's pretty advanced technique and it's tough to adjust to but give it a go
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 9:47pm
What everyone is trying to say is that you're not committing enough to your shots. You have a very stable game that awards you a prestigious 2000+ rating, but you are not exploding into your shots. I believe this is the answer to your form question. If you want to become better, worry less about winning and start adding more power and bombs into your shots. And don't forget about placement.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilelf2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 11:11pm
thanks again everyone. i think popperlocker summed it up really well. i need to commit more and be a little quicker/more into the shots
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 11:17pm
Avoid to move backward after your serve or return serve. It looks like you systematically want to engage mid-distance FH loop rally. An experimented oponent would force you to play short on your BH diagonal. Or he will start looping on your BH first and prevent you from settling your FH to FH system. Your BH is quite decent but you use it as an opening rally tool. Same BH down the line will not come back. Vary your ball placement. Work on your short returns. Distance is the key word to improve your game. You shall work on mastering the switch in between the short and the long game. All that said, you play well and have a very light footwork for a tall guy.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilelf2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 12:36am
thx jcdi, i appreciate the kind words. i think im going to videotape all my practice sessions and review them, i think it helps point out my weaknesses even better. 
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 10:57am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

You may have a habit of going backwards, so just remember don't go back unless forced, If you see your best forehand shots in the vid were always at the table
To add to this you are looping while moving backwards. that looses a lot of power on your shots.

CHEERS! (and lots of success in the New Year)
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 2:01pm
To me it seems that you are not playing just "playing", if you know what I mean. Usually you play in tournament like you play in practice. Maybe it is just your style but what I saw was you trying play long and nice rallya so called tv-tabletennis. When I feel that my game is gone I go back to basics. I live with my strong forehand and when I´m out of shape I start my practice by doing forehand drive against block with like 30 balls and I drive as hard as I can. 

I think your streght is you´r ability to keep the ball alive. So I think that you should focus on that. You should do drills where your opponent blocks all over the table and you loop as long as you pulse is around 180:). Just focus what ever is your stronges weapon and start to bring your game back through that. When you are playing sets give no mercy to your opponents, just try to paly as good as you can.

You´ll be allright!

Tommi
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2012 at 9:31am
Originally posted by evilelf2407 evilelf2407 wrote:

Ive been USATT 2000-2100 for about a year now and I honestly hate my form, well at least I think theres something wrong with it. I can't figure it out and it drives me crazy. I feel like I really need to go see a high level coach and have them yell at me or something. I'm a two winged looper, here are some videos of me playing with a couple other friends of mine. 

Yell at me, tell me what im doing wrong because it is driving me crazy. I know something is "off" but I can't figure it out. 

I'm in the light blue shirt!

I'll take alllllll and any suggestions and try to work on them, then I will try to post a new video in a couple weeks and see if I have picked up on it. I'll post some videos of myself doing multiball as well, which may also help with picking apart my stroke(s).

it seems to me you are playing the forehand with your arm only, not using the body. You are not rotating the torso in particular.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2012 at 10:38am
From what I see it just seems like your casually playing with some buddies.  My only advices for a double looper is that I don't see enough torso twist and leg rise on each stroke.  This will increase the power behind the stroke for the stroke.

The game I think also lacks variation in distance management of the table.  If you're playing casually and enjoy topspin rally it make sense to play the way you guys are.  But if you're  training for tournament you should just end the point quickly and save your strength for the next match.  Maybe read up on some 3 ball strategies and 5 ball strategies.

Being driven into mid distance and beyond with no real strategy to get back in to finish the point is one big flaw I see in your playing style...but it looks really casual play.  Sometimes it is best to play strangers so there is less concern about their feelings when you use very aggressive play, which is what double loopers are suppose to play like.

So in my opinion not really a form issue, more of the play mentality and strategy issue.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2012 at 12:05pm
You form is pretty good actually.

Why do you all serve long??

Your serve.. do something more aesthetic. It looks stiff and a little ugly. It does not match your level in my opinion. Toss the ball and loosen your body and make a longer swing with the paddle, and then in the last second kind of 'snap'

Otherwise, like others said you look kind of casual, but those guys didn't seem good enough to stretch you, so i wouldn't hold that against you. Also, your forehand, you could put a little more effort into it. That is not to say it's bad, it's pretty good actually, but you can lean into it a bit more with the body and swing a lil tighter. It looks a little lose right now, not much spin or speed, and it's like you are not trying.. But again, that is if I have to be picky. It looks pretty good as is.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Rainer87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2012 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Why do you all serve long??

I have the same problem, in training I can keep it short. But then in competition when I am serving I concentrate too much on spin and I over do it and serve goes long. The problem is that movent is not correct and also I dont move my wrist good/fast and correctly to keep short.
Blade: YEO
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Neubauer Diamant
http://www.youtube.com/koletis20
RankAmateur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2012 at 2:41pm
Looks great to me, but then again, I've only been playing with proper equipment since New year's.  I probably wouldn't even rate 1000 USATT.

Edited by RankAmateur - 02/20/2012 at 2:42pm
michael4ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael4ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2012 at 8:17pm

Seems like you got alot of great advice, some of which I will take myself. At first watching it looks to me like your weight distribution is off, you should have 2/3rds of your weight on the front so like your leaning forward. it seems you are either flat footed or even leaning backwards. I hope this helps.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic