FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Y does Joo Se Hyuk win???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Y does Joo Se Hyuk win???
    Posted: 06/13/2009 at 11:04pm
According to the theory, u should limit your opponent's options as much as u can.  The faster the ball, the spinnier, the more unpredictable, the harder it is for the opponent to pick.  Therefore, looping is clearly the Supreme style of playing, b/c like Wang Hao, u can keep the pressure on, till the opponent makes a mistake.

Now, therefore, Joo Se Hyuk, shouldn't even be able to get a game of the opponent of that status.  His coach stated that he is no exception to the rule of being offensive, but he is just more strategical.  I dont get it.

At my club, I am a solid 1900 looper, and no choppers upto 2100 has a chance against me...they r soo easy.  Therefore, just like that one time, when Wang Liqin raped Joo se Hyuk, why isn't it like that everytime?
Sponsored Links

pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 2:35am
because against spiny, fast balls, you can still chop it back.  basically the opposite of the way you put it, he forces players to keep on the pressure til he makes a mistake or stops the pressure at which point joo can counter
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 2:44am
Ma Lin always has problems with Joo too. I think its because they underestimate him and let him get a holding on the points.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 2:53am
Joo doesn't just defend. He chops until he finds a weak loop then counter. From his matches that I've watched, most of his points come from his attacks, not the other guy's mistakes when he's defending.  
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 3:29am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Joo doesn't just defend. He chops until he finds a weak loop then counter. From his matches that I've watched, most of his points come from his attacks, not the other guy's mistakes when he's defending.��

Thats the answer I believe, Joo is amazing.
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 4:48am
dubble post

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 4:49am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Joo doesn't just defend. He chops until he finds a weak loop then counter. From his matches that I've watched, most of his points come from his attacks, not the other guy's mistakes when he's defending.  
Are you talking about full unedited matches you've watched? I think a little more than half come from his opponents mistakes, but most of the highlight reels all his counterattacks as those are fun to watch.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 5:17am
it's the combination of his defence and attack.
TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT over Study Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 5:22am

because he gets to 11 points first

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 7:44am
that's the amazing part of LP, varying the backspin on the ball. you'll see that a lot of times players will either dump the ball into the net or loop the ball long. the amount of spin on the ball is just so much. but other than that, it's still amazing how Joo can counterloop like no other. he can also pounce on the ball pretty well if the opponent tries to push the ball against a low chop.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 8:06am
Because he's a tiger.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
FH: H3 No. 21
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 10:10am
because some players r a bit cocky, thinking that because they r 2 winged loopers who have awesome bh and fh techniques, think they can overcome the chopper...hence the defensive player wins.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 10:42am
IMO, its simple. Your theory is flawed. Do you really think that a fast spinny ball will still be fast and spinny when it reaches Joo who stands a metre away from the table? There is no "best" way to play table tennis. If there is such a standard formula even blockers wont survive. Joo doesn't win because others gets cocky. Nobody wins without being good. Joo was simply better in the match when he wins.

alright, im quite a joo fan :P
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 11:40am
Originally posted by sidofmillenium sidofmillenium wrote:

At my club, I am a solid 1900 looper, and no choppers upto 2100 has a chance against me...they r soo easy.� Therefore, just like that one time, when Wang Liqin raped Joo se Hyuk, why isn't it like that everytime?

This should answer your question.

If you beat the 2100 chopper, will still being 1900 your self, then you should realise that some people struggle more with them then you do, otherwise they wouldn't be rated 2100, right?
The holy grail
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 1:07pm

Therefore, looping is clearly the Supreme style of playing
 Looping is not supreme. It's the easiest style to master.
Single Ply Hinoki club
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 1:08pm
well yeah, at smaller levels, is easier to become a chopper.  B/c ppl aren't consistent.  But even at higher level, Joo win's more than 50% points by defending, at world level, how can players be so inconsistent?
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 1:17pm
Joo is QUICKER - gets to almost all balls and his returns are difficult for the other player, more CONSISTENT - very seldom hits balls that can be aggressivly attacked for a winner, patient in his attach/defense and SMARTER - varies his game, heavy to low back spin, attacks when available.
It isn't that one style is better than another, its how good you are at your style.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 1:46pm

well yeah, at smaller levels, is easier to become a chopper.� B/c ppl aren't consistent.� But even at higher level, Joo win's more than 50% points by defending, at world level, how can players be so inconsistent?

Pretty easy to answer, it's all about the margins they have. At your 1900 level, you probably can play with pretty big margins, so you don't have to keep all your loops perfect to keep up the pressure, but against a player like Joo, if you don't loop 100%, then he will counter and I guess this is the reason that even the pro's miss some times.
The holy grail
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 5:01pm
Isn't that obvious, Joo wins because he played better than the other one at that match LOL ( im just joking ! ).Actually, when you play against a chopper, doesn't matter if you are a blocker, a looper, or a hitter , you have to be very consistent and you have to play smart.Against a chopper, it will be not a good idea to use spinny loops cause then you get a very heavy chop back, you should use float loops, and you also have to combine drop shot, ... But sometimes I don't see player does that, even Ma Long , ... I'm sure that European players play smarter than most of the chinese players.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 5:43pm

here is what u gotta do, thats what Kreanga's coach agreed, u gotta hit a hard super spinny loop kill on the first and second chop, try to end it quicky, but if it comes back, drop it short, then keep doing it again.  The thing is, his spin variation wont matter if u dont chock up and do your full on stroke.  He beat Ma Long last time in China vs World b/c Ma Long was chocking, and Joo Se Hyuk played more defensively.

Thats why when u r facing lobbers, u wanna vary your kills, b/c the balls will keep gettting deeper, higher, faster, spinnier, etc.

When Wang Hao tried this strategy, it didn't work, b/c his penhold didn't generate enough power, so he beat him through floating spin.  It was interesting b/c Joo kept missing his chops!  Wang would do spinny loop, then no spin loops, set up the killer.

1.  R these the only 2 ways to beat a chopper?
2.  The way I see it, u loop, u drop, u loop, u drop, as long as your stroke is perfect, the spin variation shouldn't matter.  So, Joo focuses on how weak the human mind is, and it cracks, the arm b/comes stiff, we give long pushes, we dont' do our full stroke and miss.  So is his game purely psychological, and therefore, he could never be the world champion, or, is there some reality in his game?  Does he theoretically actually hold a chance to win?(if the opponent is mentally tough.)

TBS9X, come online on Yahoo, I am online now, we'll talk!
Metallis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 7:07pm
Yes,i think is more a mind game,if you dont put enough spin the ball will hit the net,if you put too much spin or smash it,he can smash it back...he is a defender but has a excelent forehand so you are always on risk...also he choises how the ball is going to you,is it going short?long?with much spin?
I think the game that inspirated the creation of this topic was the one against Ma Long on the ChinaXWorld Team Challenge,well,in this game you can clearly see that Joo was in control since the beggining,Ma Long did missed some easy shots,and Joo was very calm,having initiative when needed,just playing his game.Joo almost won his game with Ma on the china open again so maybe Ma has always this problem with defenders,thats quite weird.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 1:38am
Joo has got an excellent style. It is extremely unique if you look at it from the top 20 in the world. He is the only true chopper that stands out in those categories and there are valid reasons why.

1. Top world players are loopers - fantastic loopers, but they never see strong enough defender to play against at that level. Joo is the only one they play and still, they can't figure him out. So, he is a very unique nut to crack. By not seeing strong enough defenders day after day, they can only rely on their skills and theoretical strategy.

2. Joo is not just a defensive player by all means. He has ALL the strokes, but he uses his patience and control using chops from both wings. Basically, a chop sets him up if an opponent makes a mistake. He is ALWAYS on the lookout to kill the ball when he sees a weaker return.

3. Joo is extremely consistent at his chopping game and he is patient to do it for a long time. He keeps bringing the ball back time after time.

4. He can be very agressive. It keeps all the opponents honest. If they don't attack - he will and he is not afraid to finish the point. Rarely do you see Joo reloop the ball - if he attacks, 75% of his loop attacks are immediate winners. Lethal power hidden behind the defensive posture.

5. Extremely quick movement - being a chopper he has to rely on his feet. I would argue that he has the best footwork to make his game powerful.

6. Finally, chopping is more than a mere technique. In theory, a good chop matches the speed and spin of the ball. The techinique consits of the bat catching the ball at the proper contact and create its own spin on the ball. Slower contact or faster contact than the speed and spin of the ball is what makes the ball go up or too fast forward. Joo has got a great feeling of the ball and can match the speed and spin of the ball with great accuracy. Final result - wearing down the opponent. Making them struggle and breaking them down mentally. His power to do so and remain calm is extreme! Watch some of his matches, you can see his opponents disappointments, but you will not even see Joo blink if he missed. He is soo smooth.

So, in essence, he wins because he has got a great technique, strong feeling of the ball, and a very unique style for the current top world table tennis.
Back to table tennis...
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 2:28am
Oh yeah ! I forgot that Joo Se Hyuk inherited the incredibly fast footwork from Kim taek Soo, that's what make him insane ^^ I see him move from this corner to the other corner to counter loop with speed of light ( j/k :P )
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 2:34am
1.  Do u remember his falling to the ground in the last point against Schlager in 2003 WTTC?(I know its rare, just playing w/ ya.)

2.  Thats exactly what Joo Se Hyuk does, he rely's on his opponent's mistakes, so, if the opponent doesn't miss, and keeps killing, he wont be able to get it back, Schlager and Wang Hao, dont know how to finish the point, but if Kreanga or Ma Lin keep killing, he loses.  Thats why I think he should be able to beat Wang Hao, even when he plays at his best, b/c Wang Hao can't kill hard enough, currently he cant beat him, b/c as I mentioned before, Wang Hao varies his spin too much, and Joo Se Hyuk has trouble reading.

3. Chen Weixing is too old now, but he used to be higher rank than joo Se Hyuk, dont forget Hao Yingchao.

4. What Joo Se Hyuk needs to do to make himself invincible is twiddle and kill from long range like Michael Maze or even better, learn how to lob, play like ryu seung min, b/come more forehand dominant, be more unpredictable, even I can guess what he willl do next.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 5:46am

here is what u gotta do, thats what Kreanga's coach agreed, u gotta hit a hard super spinny loop kill on the first and second chop, try to end it quicky, but if it comes back, drop it short, then keep doing it again.� The thing is, his spin�variation wont matter if u dont chock up and do your full on stroke.� He beat Ma Long last time in China vs World b/c Ma Long was chocking, and Joo Se Hyuk played more defensively.

Thats why when u r facing lobbers, u wanna vary your kills, b/c the balls will keep gettting deeper, higher, faster, spinnier, etc.

When Wang Hao tried this strategy, it didn't work, b/c his penhold didn't generate enough power, so he beat him through floating spin.��It was interesting b/c Joo kept missing his chops!� Wang would do spinny loop, then no spin loops, set up the killer.

1.� R these the only 2 ways to beat a chopper?

2.� The way I see it, u loop, u drop, u loop, u drop, as long as your stroke is perfect, the spin variation shouldn't matter.� So, Joo focuses on how weak the human mind is, and it cracks, the arm b/comes stiff, we give long pushes, we dont' do our full stroke and miss.� So is his game purely psychological, and therefore, he could never be the world champion, or, is there some reality in his game?� Does he theoretically actually hold a chance to win?(if the opponent is mentally tough.)

TBS9X, come online on Yahoo, I am online now, we'll talk!
I don't know why you would kill the first two and then try to drop the third which puts you at risk to Joo's counter as lately that's what Joo has been doing to half of those drop shots. If your dropping the ball to regroup and to get ready to kill again it would probably make sense to drop every other instead of every two.   I don't see how just because you have a perfect stroke or you chock up for a full stroke that that accounts for all the spin reading you will need to do...

In my mind to beat a chopper you have a good controlled loop that still puts the pressure on, read the spin, place it well, kill the ball when the opportunity arises, push the ball when he hits an exceptional chop, block or loop his counter attacks.

You lose not because you have a pyschological breakdown, its cause you didn't execute and you need mo' multiball.

Also it is very very very difficult to drop short against world class chops and the benefits does not outweigh the risk even if they are world class because you have to time it perfectly when its loaded with backspin

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 8:54am
You will find that a good defensive game is paramount to succeeding in today's environment. Gone are the days when you could throw wild haymakers and hope for the best. The ability to keep the point alive and give the other man another look at the ball is a skill that's highly developed in the top ten. Joo Se Hyuk simply chooses to begin the point on the defensive, as opposed to the mainstream first strike game we see dominating tournament play. Like any player who excels in rallies, once he can neutralise the serve, he is on even par with the best of the best. Notice that a competent point constructer like Wang Hao or Wang Liqin will often gain the upper hand against a first strike player like Ma Lin or Ma Long, as long as they can get to a neutral rally. 
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 11:52am

At my club, I am a solid 1900 looper, and no choppers upto 2100 has a chance against me...they r soo easy.  Therefore, just like that one time, when Wang Liqin raped Joo se Hyuk, why isn't it like that everytime?

Some people are better against choppers than others. Its about match ups of style, not just about looper vs. chopper, and not simply a rating thing.

On the other hand, if you really are an accurate 1900 USATT rating, you must not have played a true 2100-level chopper. I don't you would be talking trash if you had.

Wink

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 11:55am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

it's still amazing how Joo can counterloop like no other. he can also pounce on the ball pretty well if the opponent tries to push the ball against a low chop.

+1

RedMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 1:25pm
Sid Sid Sid. The last time I check your USATT rating it was 1740. In my book that's a long way from being a "solid 1900 looper". Too get me wrong now. 1740 is a good rating. But to get be a solid 1900 looper, you will need more than what your game has. I played you early last year when you were mid 1500s. You do have a avg game. I beat you pretty easily in 3. You were pretty cocky too. I don't know why, but you were. And yes I use LP and chop/block. You gave up trying to hit through me and resorted to lobing. Didn't work.
Someone else here said it perfectly by saying its easier to learn to loop. But when learning both, that's when you really get good.
Blade: Victas Koji Matsush*ta FL

FH: Donic Bluefire JP03 in 2.0 Black

BH: TSP P1r Curl 1.5-1.7 Red
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by RedMan RedMan wrote:

Sid Sid Sid. The last time I check your USATT rating it was 1740. In my book that's a long way from being a "solid 1900 looper". Too get me wrong now. 1740 is a good rating. But to get be a solid 1900 looper, you will need more than what your game has. I played you early last year when you were mid 1500s. You do have a avg game. I beat you pretty easily in 3. You were pretty cocky too. I don't know why, but you were. And yes I use LP and chop/block. You gave up trying to hit through me and resorted to lobing. Didn't work.
Someone else here said it perfectly by saying its easier to learn to loop. But when learning both, that's when you really get good.

Ha ha I LOVE this!!!! We just can't really believe what others say about their rating anymore. On the internet, it's 100+ more than real rating. 
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic