Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young Table Tennis development

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jepoyako View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jepoyako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young Table Tennis development
    Posted: 04/09/2008 at 6:09pm
I have 5 & 4 year old daughters that I would like to train up in table tennis. I'm new to the sport and am personally trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. What can I teach my girls at this early age? Any hand eye coordination exercises?

Thanks!
I like Twinkies!
Sponsored Links

DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 6:27pm
Just start them out with bouncing the ball on the paddle and getting a feel for it.

Than teach them the basic strokes (forhand, backhand, push, chop, serve) without the ball, and than eventually incorperate the ball.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 6:33pm
Play lots of ball sports which involve catching, hitting and even kicking balls to get them used to how balls travel and bounce and how to intercept them as they move. Give them a small light TT bat and bounce a ball to them in a room with a hard floor. Get them to try to hit the ball at first and later hit the ball in a controlled manner back to you. This is how I started with Fred and he seems to be doing fine at the moment.

Sorry to those of you who have seen it, but must keep my viewing figures up.

Under no circumstances get them to bounce the ball on the bat as it is totally unnecessary. Fred can't do it more than a couple of times as he has never practiced it and it doesn't seem to be doing him any harm.
flyingmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 6:49pm
send them to China.  J/K, at that young age, just make sure they are having fun.  A really good exercise is just to have them hold a bat flat and balance a ball on it, then try walking or running w/ the ball on the bat.    That'll really develop wrist finesse w/ the bat.  2nd is that bounce a ball on a bat exercise, again, do it standing still, then walking, then running.  That's the first two exercises they teach you in China (I started at 6 there) Now besides wrist control they'll start developing a feel for the contact points of a bat, the sweet spots, maybe even a little spin control.  If they are shake hand have them switch from FH to BH mid bounce.  These exercises really teach you good bat "awareness", feeling the bat as part of your body (no kidding, i use to do the standing still part w/ my eyes closed).  The coach I had back then always said you can tell a mediocre player cause they swing the bat, a good player the bat moves like part of the hand.  Simple, low pressure,  and fun exercises to start them young.  
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 7:02pm
What do the Chinese know about training kids to play TT anyway?LOL
jctlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jctlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

What do the Chinese know about training kids to play TT anyway?LOL
I take it you are joking!!!
Kids in China start learning at 4 or 5.
Look at the video on lessons for kids in China http://outpost81.com/coaching/Chinese_Ping_Pong_Lessons.htm
Hope the link still works.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 7:26pm
Couldn't understand a word of it.
EvolutionTTC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvolutionTTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2008 at 10:50am

I agree with Deathangel. First work on the eye hand coordination. Make them also run sideways so they develop the movements. Always start teaching them the proper technique on strokes. Muscle has memory and if you teach it wrong it will be hard to correct it later. Look at videos online to see the correct strokes or find a local coach to give you few tips how to start. You can find list of coaches at USATT.org also I believe you can download the coaching manual from there for free. When you teaching the strokes stand behind them, position their bodies, hold your hand over theirs and repeat the strokes. let them repeat them alone. Then throw a ball across the table and have them try and hit it with that stroke. You can also have someone serve a long high ball that you can then return holding their hand. and so on and so on.,.,,,,,,,,

Jepoyako View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jepoyako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2008 at 12:36pm
Great info folks, thanks! I'll try to send my daughters to China ASAP! (",)
I like Twinkies!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic