Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your playing style/Nightmare opponent?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your playing style/Nightmare opponent?
    Posted: 08/04/2006 at 11:32am
Hi, I am wondering how you all play and wich style is hardest for you to play against. I hope this will give me and you some tips about how to play fifferent sytles of play.

My style: I prefer to stand approximately 3 m behind the table. Work very hard with my feets and chops alot, especially on BH. I use sidespin to confuse opponent and rarly play loop. When I loop och just hit hard and flat it is when i seee an oppurtuniy to kill the ball.
I have fonud that my style of play i very frustrating to face for thoose who plays all out loop.

My nightmare to face is: A player who plays uppfront to the table. Plays with great variation between short backspins and fast low topspin balls using the angles to make me run all over the place.

For thoose of you who looks at my blade setup; The main reason I want fast rubber is; I dont have to make an acctuall stroke to get the ball back. I can just block the ball back on the table wich is good when I am a little to late to the ball.

Now, please tell my yout style and nightmare opponent!
The holy grail
Sponsored Links

non3 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote non3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 11:53am
Slow very spinny loops, I can't seem to attack them.
2x Babolat Pure Storm Tour
Gosen Micro Sheep 16 @ 58lbs
mttkrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mttkrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 11:57am

My playing style is mostly all around except chopping.

My nightmare is players who are great at service and 3rd ball kills... it just leaves me standing there wondering where the ball went.  I guess i need more work on my service return.

Also I hate players who flip kill everything.. akfdfdsfsdkf

I hate heavy topsins and old man with super long pips... drives me nuts when my ball just hits the table instead of even the net.

Braveheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 12:00pm

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

My nightmare to face is: A player who plays uppfront to the table. Plays with great variation between short backspins and fast low topspin balls using the angles to make me run all over the place.

!

..therefore, I am your nightmare !

Mine are the ones who plys with long pips and they use them to attack !

Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 12:43pm
i play a looping game....loop loop loop on forehand, but i push too. Backhand, loop and push....

my loops are mainly just powerful, what i lack is placement.

I dont like playing choppers, or old guys that have immaculate placement and run me all over the place. I also have a hard time with really spinny side spin brush loops.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
superpatrik View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superpatrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 1:56pm

Speedplay
vilken klubb spelar du i???

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 2:09pm
I'm a pretty aggressive loop-attacker, close-to-medium distance from the table.

My nightmare opponents are those with the same style, who aggressively loop everything that goes deep enough to loop, or high enough on the table.
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 2:16pm
arggghhhhh ill play you ppgear! where are u located?
Speedp1ay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedp1ay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by superpatrik superpatrik wrote:

Speedplay
vilken klubb spelar du i???

Sorry, f�r �ndrat loggnamn, n�got strul med password. F�r inte n�got nytt skickat till mig!

Jag spelar i k�vlinge, dock inte division 1 klubben utan tr�nar med laget i... tror det �r div. 6 eller n�got. Var spelar du sj�lv?

superpatrik View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superpatrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 3:10pm
jag spelar i verum  inte s� k�nt  i sk�ne
idchong3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idchong3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 3:31pm

I am a player who uses serve and third ball attacks to beat choppers... but i find it difficult playing with choppers who uses long pips and anti's to chop backspin ball and no spin ball... their motion is almost alike... my only method is by looking onto the ball spin now...

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Forehand- Stiga Almana
Backhand- Palio CJ 8000
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 3:36pm
Great that all of you are responding to this, but the point is lost when you dont tell your own style of play. What I want to know with this post is wich style that creates problem for wich. In that way it might be helpful, ex: If you are a chopper and hates to play against a looper, the next time i face a chopper I know that they have problems against loopers, so I can adjust my style of play.

By the way, is it always the weaker player that have to adjust his style to the opponent?
The holy grail
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 3:39pm
Choppers are the easiest to play... and aggresive attackers, the worst are people that just stands there and block or lob the ball back... it is so damn frustrating!
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
Fraziel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraziel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 3:51pm
i am a looper on my forehand and more of a blocker and driver on my backhand. cant get that backhand loop mastered yet. i hate playing against older guys that stand right at the table, use long pips, and block everything with incredible accuracy which has you running about all over the place. i have decided that the best strategy is just to hit the ball as hard as i can right at their body. as they are older they cant always get out the way and move quickly enough. still usually get gubbed though. guy i know plays like that but if you give him a standard inverted rubber he , quite literally, has trouble keeping the ball on the table against advanced beginners like me.
Fraziel,
blade- tibhar samsonov alpha
rubber, FH- palio cj8000 on canon 1.8 mm 40 sponge, BH- same
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 4:18pm
I guess i am a nightmare for some:
I block and hit with short pips both sides with push/chop variation and serve 3 ball.

My nightmare is some one who can overpower me serve and great 3ball. If I get in a rally I have a chance.

I think the answer against any style is to find the way to keep the player off balance just like judo really. If opponent has weak bh for instance play to middle or decision line until he moves to one side. Then if he has tried to play forehand from his bh side, stuff it wide of his fh and finish it down his bh. If on the other hand he moves to the centre to play bh then you can switch wide bh, wide fh, wide bh
Of course the above assumes the opponent is more cooperative than most i've met!
Another thing I find tough is a good lobber. I have a good kill but sometimes find I am playing a guy who has a better lob /mid distance game. So the battle is about the lobber wants the smasher wear himself out: The close table guy wants to keep the lobber close and only smash when the guy cant retreat. The one who can make it easy for himself and difficult for his opponent will often triumph. The actual tactics are still placement to decision line , wait for opponent to move before punching in the gap. but its overlaid with a general sense of trying to keep the rally out of the opponents comfort zone.
Hey looking at the above i played as good as I talk Id be doing well! But you never know my ramblings may help some one!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by ttman ttman wrote:

Sorry dude, I'm in Toronto. I wonder what the ratio of Torontonians vs. Americans is.
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

Originally posted by ttman ttman wrote:

Sorry dude, I'm in Toronto. I wonder what the ratio of Torontonians vs. Americans is.

Wonderful, I just gave away my identity, stupid cookies. I didn't want to associate PPGEAR with some of my newbier questions.
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 4:27pm
I am as all around as can be. Close to the table and away from table; all kinds of spin, speed, and placement. So I don't have any one style that bothers me but someone who plays an all around style better than me will make life hard for me.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 4:48pm
silly experiment:
below shows:
Imagine your looking at a logical rep of the table showing opponent position and the placement of your shots. I havent considered the possibility of opponent not cooperating, but thats advanced stuff.
Of course no rally is that simple, but Fraziel for instance could refine his big shot to the middle with this tactic.
first shot to decision line
opponent moves to bh so
second shot to fh
opponent scrambles to fh
finish to bh
what would you do if opponent returned your shot but stayed in position:
repeat shot 1 till he does move making sure to aim at his playing shoulder then execute shot 2(dont change placements without good reason,)
    0          0     0
------     ------    -------
     1     2               3 (chooooo!)
by the way I am new to this forum game, is there a better way to show tactical diagrams?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 5:04pm
My nightmare is when I loose my feel.  I really hate when I am not at my original performance because my body is not responding as well.  I am just an all round loop attacker.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 8:46pm

Originally posted by Schlager Schlager wrote:

Choppers are the easiest to play... and aggresive attackers, the worst are people that just stands there and block or lob the ball back... it is so damn frustrating!

If someone can stand in one place and lob to you, that might mean you need to move the ball around more.  Lobbers should have to be running all over the place.

I spin everything heavy.  Slow topspin, heavy pushes, spinny serves.  Not much power....difficulty in making flat shots.

Therefore the junk rubbers are my worst matchup.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
joey5867 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey5867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 10:38pm
I'm a allround/offensive close to the table player that loops a lot on FH and mostly uses a fast BH drive with a little topspin with good angles, exellent blocking game and when I'm far to the table I lob very low balls that are difficult to smash and sometimes I chop (FH and BH whan I'm far to the table).  My nighmare player is that one who survives and survives making only medium power and secure shots with very good blocking game and receiving.
BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
Harold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 3:39am

Generally I loop and drive on both FH and BH.

There's just one player I hate to play with. I mean he is so quick with his smashes makes me feel like switching to golf or something. He's C-pen short pip. Plays like Liu Guoliang.

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 8:22am
I'm a penhold fast attacker/looper; the most trouble is from penhold power-loopers (ie Chiang Peng-Lung, Ryu Seung Min, Qin Zhijian types) and the blockers. If the third ball is handled well its extremely difficult to get a fifth ball attack and more than likely it ends up in the rallying phase.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Rodey_Maggot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodey_Maggot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 2:04pm
I play with heavy loops on fh and flat on backhand..im new in tt.i hate the long pimples users hehe i just hate them...arrghhh and also those that have hard bats..with those crappy rubbers

greets
DONIC Waldner Carbon Senso
FHDONIC
Gallardo Power Sound
BHDONIC
Coppa JO Silver
sunflex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 3:16pm
i hate guys with very spinny hard strokes
BigJ99678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ99678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 11:56pm

i am a two wingd looper. Is it just me or is this style just hard against every style, and there is no real good matchups. It just depends how good your strokes are

You're lucky I suck
azrin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2006 at 12:52am

my style is kinda all-rounder. loop flip chop drop shot smash sidespin...

i hate those who plays unpredictable style and flat hitters

alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2006 at 11:19am
my nirhgtmare style would be a lobber with one side long pips and twirls when there close to the table
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2006 at 11:22am
nightmare is a player with a much bigger forehand than me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic