Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - zhang jike technique compilation from a ZJK fan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

zhang jike technique compilation from a ZJK fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zhang jike technique compilation from a ZJK fan
    Posted: 10/22/2011 at 5:02am
I have always been a big fan of Zhang Jike, and am always trying to copy his style.This thread is for ZJK fans who want more detailed analysis of his technique. The materials are all from the fantastic Youtube channels and some from the Bokett forums.

Fundamentals(BH, FH)

His basic counter-hit. This surprisingly helped me a lot, to get a lot of the body mechanics of his BH and FH loops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0YZt_ybNlg

Zhang Jike BH-FH from mid-distance. He has a kinda sidespinny FH like Kong Linghui, especially when dealing with balls to the extreme FH. This helps a lot in curling the ball back to the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLxshC-VTVk

Zhang Jike warmup with Xu Xin 2, mainly BH and FH training. Zhang Jike has a very short backswing, and very powerful shots with lots of control. Notice how his wrist doesn’t move much in the backswing unlike other players, and his wrist kinda only moves after he finishes contacts the ball. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjYIS7VLl6Q

Zhang Jike warmup with Wang Hao This video can really give us a clear picture of his fundamentals. He doesn’t like to jump from his feet a lot,  having a stable centre of gravity. This helps him to keep his balance really well. His side-jumps are really incredible, probably owing to his enormous leg strength. Also, notice his elbow position when he is playing BH, it’s a bit further to the right than when he is playing his compact FH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfP1cfFs4B0

Controlled loops against underspin

Zhang Jike Reportage!

An awesome reportage of his story, and also there’s gold here! The section from 1:20 – 1:50min, there is a rather close-view of Zhang Jike’s controlled BH loop against underspin. Notice the bat position, the change in bat angle, how he uses his whole body in the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1UWMfuomxU

His controlled FH against underspin. Look at how well he uses his leg strength to pull the ball up against heavy underspin from Joo Se Hyuk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfpXuiYap94

1st 3 balls(pushes, serve, receive)

Zhang Jike warmup with Xu Xin 1, mainly serve and receive. Very useful in studying their footwork to do with serve and receive, and distance from the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRMhhgqJOx8

More 3rd balling exercises with Liu Guoliang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVstrgW18c

Match with Steger(side-view)- This video shows a lot of very useful information on his ready position, pushes and serves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1UWMfuomxU

Zhang Jike warmup with Xu Xin 1, mainly serve and receive. Very useful in studying their footwork to do with serve and receive, and distance from the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRMhhgqJOx8

The best tutorial of how to do the reverse serve like Zhang Jike.(by Lovett9x) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NISmyRiLDCI

His BH over-the-table loop off short balls.

This is his specialty, and one of the hardest shots to master in table tennis. It’s very demanding on the wrist, and upper body strength(especially the core and back muscles).

http://www.bokett.com/tt/dispbbs.asp?boardid=584&Id=258833

There are more explanation in the pictures, but it’s in Chinese. Main points:

1)   Don’t contact the ball on the side but rather on the back of the ball. This will give you much better speed and spin on the ball. Also this would give you more topspin which will make it hard for the opponent to make a strong return off your loop.

2)     1) Don’t step into the table with your right foot too much, otherwise you will be jammed due to the speed of the short serve.

3)     2) Use your left hand to judge how high the ball bounces.

4)     3) Upper body must bend forward to give room for backswing.

5)    4) During backswing, move your wrist as far back as possible, so that the bat points towards your stomach.

Personal tips:

1)     1) Think of using the back and core muscles in this shot. The “unarching” of the back can provide surprising amounts of power.

2)     2) When learning, learn it on easy balls first(high and slow short balls with less spin) to get the feeling of contacting the ball, don’t try it on faster, low short serves otherwise you’ll probably hit your bat on the table. Then, increase the difficulty more and more(lower, faster and more spin)

I still find it really difficult to master this shot and once hurt my wrist due to practising this shot for few hours. 

That's all for now. Hope that it can help or inspire some!

Edited by blahness - 10/22/2011 at 5:04am
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2011 at 5:09am
Your post makes my night after 3 hours of tt, a nice dinner with my friends and pretty deep massage afterwards; 30 minutes feet and 30 minutes partial body. It was the first massage of my life can you believe it? the dude came a bit hard on me but I stayed tough and enjoyed the whole thing. I think to play late in life I'll need more of those.

OK Let me get back at your wonderful work. Thank you so much.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2011 at 1:38pm
Fatt,

Did your massage remind you of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-UQ7a7d5W0? LOL
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2011 at 1:51pm

actually I was with 2 friends from the club in the main room visible from the street and looking like the 1st class cabin of a jumbo jet (10 to 12 seats i can't remember). 2 girls and a guy took care of us for an hour. We fought about who would get the guy and I lost but I was so happy I did afterwards: I felt like an athlete being taken care off after the effort. Cool. One of my friends fell asleep and snored!!!.

JS Bach music in the background helped relaxing. I am not sure I will ever go to the private rooms in the back. I don't need more than what I had.
sugengz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugengz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2011 at 2:58pm
Nice post.. Very helpful... Thanks so much.
IllSonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IllSonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2011 at 9:53pm
The serving one is really helpful. My reverse are now lower, spinnier and faster. Now to just adjust them into my game... Smile
Stiga Infinity VPS Legend
H3
Galaxy Moon
thepongcast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepongcast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2011 at 2:32pm
Awesome post!  It may sound crazy, but I think he's the 'easiest' Chinese player to pattern my game after. WLQ's forehand is out of this world, Ma Long rips nearly every shot, and I'm not a penholder, so that leaves him.  He has the best touch and control and uses spin and placement better than the rest IMHO so it's a little more achievable.

Since January I was inspired by his famous wristy backhand flick/loop, and I've gotten great results.  I probably win 80% (my conservative estimation) of the points where I use it successfully (against competition up to ~2000, the best players at my club), either because they can't return it or they give a poor return that I can put away.

BTW, your link to the his Reportage is a copy of the Steger match.  I only found this link, but there's no English subs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_3tbvHeAc
Table tennis TV show & podcasts at ThePongcast.com
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2011 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by thepongcast thepongcast wrote:

Awesome post!  It may sound crazy, but I think he's the 'easiest' Chinese player to pattern my game after. WLQ's forehand is out of this world, Ma Long rips nearly every shot, and I'm not a penholder, so that leaves him.  He has the best touch and control and uses spin and placement better than the rest IMHO so it's a little more achievable.

Since January I was inspired by his famous wristy backhand flick/loop, and I've gotten great results.  I probably win 80% (my conservative estimation) of the points where I use it successfully (against competition up to ~2000, the best players at my club), either because they can't return it or they give a poor return that I can put away.

BTW, your link to the his Reportage is a copy of the Steger match.  I only found this link, but there's no English subs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_3tbvHeAc

Yup i made a mistake with the Reportage, your link is the correct one.

I also agree with you, Zhang Jike's the "easiest" to emulate, because he plays more of a control game with a lot of spin. That is the reason why I try to emulate his play style. 

Do you have any more tips on how to practise his famous BH flick/loop. It's way too inconsistent for me to use in my matches, and I always get jammed if the serve drifts half-long or long...Dead. I just practise a lot of controlled pushing and short game to compensate, seems more appropriate for my level of play...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
thepongcast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepongcast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Yup i made a mistake with the Reportage, your link is the correct one.

I also agree with you, Zhang Jike's the "easiest" to emulate, because he plays more of a control game with a lot of spin. That is the reason why I try to emulate his play style. 

Do you have any more tips on how to practise his famous BH flick/loop. It's way too inconsistent for me to use in my matches, and I always get jammed if the serve drifts half-long or long...Dead. I just practise a lot of controlled pushing and short game to compensate, seems more appropriate for my level of play...

Disclaimer - I'm certainly not an expert or coach, but...

Ideally your whole body is in position, right behind the ball.  Then you can 'curl up' everything.  Your waist, elbow, and wrist are all bending in and they all 'uncurl' in one smooth motion.  Once in awhile I'll see people try this shot out, and usually they use a lot of wrist or elbow but everything else didn't move. You can get away with using the elbow and wrist against weaker shots, but 'uncurling' your midsection will help on the heavier spin balls.

Also make sure you follow through completely.  This ties into making one smooth motion.  Often I miss because I stopped half way, when my elbow and shoulder could still move further.  On heavier spins I will also rotate in a much more vertical motion.

Finally, when I'm receiving serves I'm in position to receive deep serves.  It's easier to step in to a short serve than back off and take a long serve.  On short serves you still have the option to push in case you're too late, but on long serves your out of luck.  Also a short push will often force your opponent to push back, typically with weaker spin, and you can already prepare to flick the follow up.  And like I mentioned, I can get away with stepping in, somewhat out of place, and still make a good flick on weaker short serves just relying on my shoulder, elbow, and wrist rotation.

If you watch Zhang Jike, he's fast enough to get his entire body in position on short serves where both of his feet are right at the table, parallel to each other, instead of stepping in with only his right foot. Between reading serves really well and great footwork, and I don't think I'll ever pull that off consistently.
Table tennis TV show & podcasts at ThePongcast.com
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2011 at 11:17am
Fatt you should read what you write :s, "the dude came a bit hard on me but I stayed tough and enjoyed the whole thing"  LOL

Edited by bluebucket - 11/02/2011 at 11:18am
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Fatt,

Did your massage remind you of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-UQ7a7d5W0? LOL

Your link make my night. Thanks.

Again, I found the same fan here.

1. To use more BH like Zhang, u must learn to serve reverse FH side like him.
2. You must have strong leg
3. You must lower your body gravity
4. You must tense the muscle of your left leg, Zhang left leg is bigger than the right one
5. You must use a solid and thin blade like Viscaria

I'm also the fan of Zhang. :)
thanks
Mahmood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahmood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2012 at 10:59pm
Thank you very much for the post...
Probabaly ZJK himslef doesnt know this much about him LOL
Bty Zhang Jike (fl 85gm)

FH: 729 transced (red max)
BH: BlueFire M1 (black Max)
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2012 at 11:42pm
Awesome post
RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
pryde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pryde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2012 at 12:51am
me too, zjk fan...
anybody can post also his pic for computer screen saver?
alborz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2012 at 4:41am
great , i'm zhang jike fan too :)
Balde : Donic Epox Control
Forehand : Donic BlueFire M1 (Black / MAX)
Backhand : Donic Vario Big Slam (Red / MAX)

Zhang Jike : Man Of Steel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic