FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Zhang Jike's opening backhand technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zhang Jike's opening backhand technique
    Posted: 11/08/2010 at 9:59pm
I want to learn more about this technique as it seems to be something that all up and coming shakehanders in China right now possess. I am not sure what this technique is called... I saw somebody talking about it in one of the subfourms calling it something like the "takita" backhand. I know that is not right because I have looked around for it and can not find anything on it. In any event does anyone here know of any good videos or articles describing it? Supposedly Jike talked about it in Ping-pang magazine a while back.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 10:06pm
Chiquita flip or banana flip. Chiquita as in the banana brand. 
This implies using sidespin, but Ma long, Zhang Jike, and Wang Liqin do not always use sidespin, just straight up topspin, probably on the axis that is not spinning as much. 
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Chiquita flip or banana flip. Chiquita as in the banana brand. 
This implies using sidespin, but Ma long, Zhang Jike, and Wang Liqin do not always use sidespin, just straight up topspin, probably on the axis that is not spinning as much. 

Chiquita - that's funny... here I was thinking it had some profound Chinese meaning LOL
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 10:22pm
chinese sure didnt invented it... check out these links:
http://www.butterfly-world.com/newsletter/butterfly-news40.pdf
http://www.butterfly-world.com/newsletter/butterfly-news41.pdf
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 10:23pm
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 10:46pm
Petr Korbel more or less invented this shot.  He called it the Chiquita backhand.  I'm not sure why.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 10:49pm
Good stuff guys Cool This really helps me formalize this shot in my head!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 10:50pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmwA6yg7cDY
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 10:59pm
even better here he explains it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1BWg8NhIGU
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Petr Korbel more or less invented this shot.  He called it the Chiquita backhand.  I'm not sure why.

Because the way you go around the ball is like a banana. 
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2010 at 11:40pm
yeah i saw those videos waay back and just disregarded it. Now i see most of the chinese players opening with that same loop and actually tried doing it completely disregarding that petr korbel started it LOL
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 12:13am
Zhang Jike often likes to open with the bh flip shot, even stepping around on his fh side to favor it. He uses heavy spin and varying degrees of sidespin to counteract and add-to the side spin on the serves. He's doing it pretty much the same as anyone else, but he has an exaggerated motion giving him more spin and power.

When a player serves a reg pendulum serve with side-under or side-top, most of the time the player who is flipping it will contact the ball on the same side the server contacted the ball.

Its just a flip shot against a serve with side spin.

Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 4:36am
Very funny to read this here, I was always having troubles doing BH topspin, I learnt this technique myself without knowing its a totally different style and my shots are very consistent now.
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 1:17pm
What's funny is that back before I fixed my grip about 6 years ago (I learned in the basement with the index finger vertical in-line with the blade handle) is that this was my BH.

The stroke is excellent because it works against top, nospin and underspin, with only minor followthrough changes - from short to mid comfortably.

But once I changed my grip to a more standard neutral, I suddenly developed a forehand but could no longer drop the blade face comfortably to that upside down position, and lost my BH entirely. Literally for years. It's been a slow journey :(

Maybe if I start modifying my BH and FH grips slightly I can get the best of both worlds?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 1:23pm
Here you go. Article about Zhang's technique.

FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

What's funny is that back before I fixed my grip about 6 years ago (I learned in the basement with the index finger vertical in-line with the blade handle) is that this was my BH.

The stroke is excellent because it works against top, nospin and underspin, with only minor followthrough changes - from short to mid comfortably.

But once I changed my grip to a more standard neutral, I suddenly developed a forehand but could no longer drop the blade face comfortably to that upside down position, and lost my BH entirely. Literally for years. It's been a slow journey :(

Maybe if I start modifying my BH and FH grips slightly I can get the best of both worlds?

The grip that Zhang Jike has favors the backhand.  I changed my grip from forehand-oriented to neutral and now I wonder if I should try the backhand-oriented grip like Zhang Jike to see if it helps improve my backhand block and counter-drive but I'm sure that I will suffer the quality of my forehand loop.

I guess I will give the backhand-oriented grip a try and see if it helps in the rally.  I probably will need to adjust my forehand.  If it's not going to be any better then I think I will stay with the neutral grip (I'm not quick enough to switch from backhand-oriented grip to forehand-oriented grip to do forehand topspin).

FireHorse
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 2:52pm

Chiquita is the name of perhaps the biggest supplier of bananas to Europe.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

That's fantastic. I can't understand one word of it, but its great nonetheless!

gnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

The grip that Zhang Jike has favors the backhand.  I changed my grip from forehand-oriented to neutral and now I wonder if I should try the backhand-oriented grip like Zhang Jike to see if it helps improve my backhand block and counter-drive but I'm sure that I will suffer the quality of my forehand loop.

I guess I will give the backhand-oriented grip a try and see if it helps in the rally.  I probably will need to adjust my forehand.  If it's not going to be any better then I think I will stay with the neutral grip (I'm not quick enough to switch from backhand-oriented grip to forehand-oriented grip to do forehand topspin).

FireHorse

is this a description of bh-oriented grip/zhang jike's grip?:
1) thumb placed on rubber or higher up on rubber
2) fingers curl less fully around the racket
i just want to make i am on same page, and im curious since ive never seen a description on the net..
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by gnome gnome wrote:

Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

FireHorse

is this a description of bh-oriented grip/zhang jike's grip?:
1) thumb placed on rubber or higher up on rubber
2) fingers curl less fully around the racket
i just want to make i am on same page, and im curious since ive never seen a description on the net..

The backhand-oriented grip is the one that the edge of the blade leaning more to the index finger while the forehand-oriented grip is the one that the edge of the blade leaning more to the thumb.  With backhand-oriented grip, your backhand loop, block are better than the forehand and vice versa.  You can tell if your grip is forehand- or backhand-oriented by judging your strokes but I think the way I describe is pretty accurate.

You can have both descriptions that you described with both forehand- or backhand-oriented. 

FireHorse
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2010 at 8:02pm

even better here he explains it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1BWg8NhIGU
that's it!!!  at 1min33sec

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2010 at 12:05am
In that video is seems that the blade is still somewhat closed... what about using it against heavy backspin?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2010 at 12:12am

Thank you Tongue Sometimes still-frame is the best way to learn...
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

milan099 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milan099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2010 at 6:06am
IMO, i think the name "Chiquita" is a chinese directly translated english. If i am not wrong, the meaning of it is "eat, ball and hit", which means something like hitting by pulling the ball when put together.
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2010 at 6:28am
As Tinykin_2 said Chiquita is a big supplier of Bananas and this is where the name came from...

As the butterfly newsletter 40 says (in rui pedro81's link) "The name Chiquita results from the trajectory of the ball, which looks like the form of banana"...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2010 at 7:32am
I want to thank the thread starter and subsequent posters; you've changed my game for the better, forever.

Backstory:

I mentioned earlier, that like many players, I learned the game in the basement with a bad grip; but it was one that made this shot easy. In fact, it was the only consistent shot that I used in basement pong). But relearning a correct grip cost me that shot, and gave me a traditional "big forehand" instead. In the intervening years, while I was able to learn an "off the table" BH topspin, I could not adapt it to the short game (too slow recovery, big stroke created fear of hitting the table). So for years I went "without" a consistent topspin opener from my backhand (against short and medium balls) and I simply went without, and my game had a glaring hole in it.

Fast forward to this thread:

After watching the pingskills video, I had an epiphany. The old BH shot that was a foundation of my basement grip game was in fact doable with a standard grip. Last night I spent a half an hour drilling it against light underspin and dead ball serves. Holy smokes! Over 80% on table while drilling. In many ways it was like "getting back on a bicycle" - since the basement, I had learned the footwork (step in right foot) it's the same as my FH push against short balls, and the stroke mechanics draw on thousands of hours of old gameplay memories when I first learned the game.

Later I got to use the shot in games as well, and while it didn't always win points outright, it quickly shifted the game from "push push" to topspin. I have a tournament coming up on the 20th, and I am excited about being able to "integrate" this shot between now and then.

Thank you MyTT members, without your help, this shot would have stayed in the basement of my memory!

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2010 at 9:59am

Very good video from Pingskills . However, the balls that are given to the player, are not what is normally encountered in game situations.  The short balls are often very short, very low and loaded with underspin.  These ones were a little high.  On the good side, it's nice to hear that the technique takes years to master, though also a bit discouraging.  Now I don't feel so bad not getting it 100% right after say about 40 tries over 2 months. That's nothing, really!
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2010 at 10:01pm
I'm truly glad this thread has helped others and revived icontek's basement experimentation Cool 

You see that is a problem that I have is if it is not "proper technique" I will not try it. I became a "canned player" who did not want to think outside the box. I think that all the new innovations coming out of the Chinese coaching today like the rpb and even some players trying a rbf are going to have a big impact in years to come. But no matter your school it's strong motivator to think outside the box!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2010 at 1:30am
This is a very good technique to use in every short ball serve  ot heavy underspin serve you encounter especially if you are an sp user in your backhand it will set you up for an attack or a quick flip placement that will make your opponent wonder where the ball goes LOL??? I mean off balance when you aim  it back  mostly at the center of the body.

Edited by gatz - 11/11/2010 at 1:34am
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2010 at 2:15am

AMAZING article! Thanks for sharing!!!!Clap
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic