Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

ZJK flips 90ish% of serves. How does he do it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZJK flips 90ish% of serves. How does he do it?
    Posted: 12/03/2013 at 1:46pm
I love this tactic ZJK employs as he's able to take the 1st aggressive stroke the majority of the time. He rarely pushes a serve.

I could understand if it appeared that sometimes his blade is much more open (say vs backspin) and he performs more of a banana flip. But as far as I can tell, his blade is closed and he rips the serve regardless as if they were all topspin. How does he not put backspin balls into the net?

Take this clip for example. Game 1 he pushes returns only 3 times. And that came only when he was out of it and was looking for something different.

Game 2 gives a better view of his blade. 10:47. That is clearly a backspin serve yet his blade is very closed and he rips a high speed flip back to the opponent. How is this not a net ball?

Is there something that is too quick for me to see? Have any of your mastered this skill in the backhand flip and are able to do the same?

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 2:17pm
That's what the chiquita is all about. Skip over the close game and go right into the open game. It's not considered a pure flip in Asian countries, as the Western population tends to classify it. It's put under its own category as it's more a variant of the over-the-table loop than the flip.

From my own experience, it takes more footwork and "palmwork" than the flip to master.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 2:18pm
I believe he is able to do it thru a combination of
- tacky rubber
- quick wrist
- contact the ball before/at the top of the bounce
- contact the ball using the edge of the racket instead of the center
- lots and lots of practice

Edited by GMan4911 - 12/03/2013 at 2:20pm
Pushdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 3:20pm
Not tacky rubber. His backhand is T05txt.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 3:30pm
Nobody has really addressed it but I suppose it's the simple physics is what I don't get.

Backspin ball. He looks to be hitting on the top of the ball.... That ball should go into the net.

My only vague guess is that perhaps he's contacting more of the side of the ball than I realize and/or his backhand motion is more upward (thus lifting the ball) than it appears.

Edited by suds79 - 12/03/2013 at 3:31pm
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 3:42pm
i like the side of the ball point with very quick hand speed seems to result in an attack of any serve...not sure if im right or not...
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 3:53pm
If zjk does 90% fzd does 150%?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

My only vague guess is that perhaps he's contacting more of the side of the ball than I realize and/or his backhand motion is more upward (thus lifting the ball) than it appears.

It must be something like that, but what is even more amazing to me, no matter what serve someone hits him he almost never misses it, and the serves he's receiving have to be varying.  That means he always makes the right adjustment because there has to be some adjustment (perhaps how much on the side he hits it).  That plus he is always in the perfect position relative to the ball to hit this shot pretty much wherever someone serves the ball.  And then after he hits it, he is almost always back in time to hit a solid third ball from either side, his in and out movement is like lightening. 

These guys have raised the level of table tennis so high in the last few years it is like a video game.
Pushdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 4:18pm
You can lift backspin if the vertical speed of your racket is faster than the spin of the ball. Usually serve is done by forehand and ZJK flip is done by backhand. Backhand wrist topspin motion is faster than forehand underspin motion.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 4:27pm
I'm not certain but I'll check the stats another time. At 10:47, that's a long ball. Some of those he was flipping had big sidespin thus more 'flickable'. I say again that I'm not sure, but to me, he's choosing his hits like any aggressive player today. That is, anything that has side, looks floaty or strays long, tends to gets hit if the footwork is good enough to them into position in time.

Edited by Tinykin - 12/03/2013 at 5:57pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
rliu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 4:37pm
2 things I would like to point out one of my Chinese coaches told me. 
One on the flip the contact point doesn't have to be on the top and DEFINITELY not on the rise. It can even be on the fall. ZJK must produce a lot of spin when he goes over. If the serve is higher (for his standards) he can go straight forward. If it is very low and high quality He can go on the side and flip. His footwork also gets him into perfect position so he can make quality shots. Hours of practice every day helps a lot too!
Blade: Hurricane King 655
Rubber: Fastarc-G1
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 4:54pm
Haven't thought this through completely, but if he:
  1. strokes the ball tangentially just after peak height at the point where the line tangential to the ball trajectory is at approximately a 10 - 15 degree angle to the horizontal, and
  2. the rotational speed he imparts on the ball is greater than the current rotation on the ball
then, isn't it 'mission accomplished'? So, it all boils down to:
  1. quick footwork (being there in position by the time the ball is at peak height)
  2. right stroke timing, and most important
  3. very high racket speed achieved in this wristy stroke

Edited by slevin - 12/03/2013 at 4:55pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Nobody has really addressed it but I suppose it's the simple physics is what I don't get.

Backspin ball. He looks to be hitting on the top of the ball.... That ball should go into the net.

It is not a pure backspin serve there. That is called a hook serve where a certain amount of sidespin is imparted upon impact. That sidespin is what makes it viable to return with a relatively closed racket angle.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 5:06pm
I'm not sure, but I think that, when you see players do bh flip with a closed blade face, the serve is not heavy backspin. it is mostly sidespin with some light backspin. the reason why they don't serve heavy backspin is probably that they are afraid of short push and probably of heavy long push as well.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 6:31pm
The key to me his stillness just before and the precision with which he gets the edge of the racket extremely close to the contact position immediately before he explodes into the release. Its very carefully done. I dont think talking about in terms of ripping the ball really expresses what its about. After all the benefit of topspin is to add margin for error to your power shots without losing control
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 7:54pm
I like the comment about his stillness just before the shot, which is simply zen-like in its perfection, but it also tends to make his ability to always be in the right place to be even more amazing to me.  It is almost stealthy for lack of a better word  For a lot of people in TT, moving a short distance (like 20 cm) is a lot harder than moving a long distance (like 500 cm).  And somehow he is just where he needs to be every time, and then back and its like there is the minimum necessary vertical movement of his head during the whole thing.  Without any doubt, this is one of the most amazing shots in table tennis history.  A lot of people can do it, but none as well as this.  Actually he is so good at it I almost wonder if sometimes he isn't almost too predictable because of it.  The other CNT guys can adjust to it.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2013 at 1:12am
Elaborating on what I said... At high level, you almost never serve short and heavy backspin, but they serve with a lot of sidespin, and just enough backspin to prevent the opponent from driving, pushing short, and pushing heavy and long. So this kind of service deprives the opponent of all these 3 (dangerous) options, and nearly forces them to loop, which they do with a backhand flip. The only alternative to flipping would be to respond with a light push, which today only old style players like waldner and kreanga and samsonov do. Or with a short light push, which they still do on forehand when they could not move enough to do bh.

Edited by seguso - 12/04/2013 at 1:17am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2013 at 3:02am
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2013 at 4:21am
backspin is actually pretty easy in terms of flipping. it's just a matter of reach and ball height. (you can flip every ball but if it's too short, it'll be weak even if you manage to reach it, and much more effective to dropshot.) 

next time you come across a backspin serve that goes within your comfortable range, you can test it out by starting in the same motion as if you were doing a short push, strike and drive the ball forward a short distance at the top of the bounce, aiming past the net: simply turn the wrist across and up like a mini-loop with a bit of forearm motion carried by the momentum. don't initiate and control the motion with the forearm. the backspin from the incoming serve will pull the ball down once it clears the net = free topspin without you doing anything extra! 

once you get the touch and concept down, you can then feel free to increase power, speed, and add your own spin. flipping sidespin is probably the hardest. (you have to move with or against the angle and add your own topspin otherwise it's likely to go out or slide into the net. with no spin and topspin, simply do a straight flick at the top of the bounce)

and that's why most pros use sidespin and no-spin serves with occasional heavy backspin to try and win the pt outright, or if the opponent is making risky, super short or overly aggressive receives :p

the "stillness" zjk exhibits is because he's moving first to approach the ball, observing to confirm the spin and trajectory, then waiting for the top of the bounce. 
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2013 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I like the comment about his stillness just before the shot, which is simply zen-like in its perfection, but it also tends to make his ability to always be in the right place to be even more amazing to me.  It is almost stealthy for lack of a better word  For a lot of people in TT, moving a short distance (like 20 cm) is a lot harder than moving a long distance (like 500 cm).  And somehow he is just where he needs to be every time, and then back and its like there is the minimum necessary vertical movement of his head during the whole thing.  Without any doubt, this is one of the most amazing shots in table tennis history.  A lot of people can do it, but none as well as this.  Actually he is so good at it I almost wonder if sometimes he isn't almost too predictable because of it.  The other CNT guys can adjust to it.

Its like the "Blazing Saddles" fast draw joke. He's always there, but you dont notice him move.!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2013 at 8:31pm
That's a great explanation of a Bh Flip, Kurokami. Smile

This is a really great thread, but nobody is going to have an exact answer because we're all students and there are ancient chinese secrets involved LOL

ZJK isn't really flipping the ball though. He's looping it over the table. He doesn't flip much, but Ma Long sure does. ZJK starts with his racket closed and his body position because it gives him a bigger range of motion to generate racket speed. When you are doing the "Chiquita" with a ball that's pure backspin, you want to contact the ball toward the axis (the side of the ball) as the spin has little effect there and your shot can be made clean and you don't have to overcome the spin. 

The flip is different as you use the spin directly. Ma Long does it a lot. 

The Japanese do this much more pronounced with the side contact, but they aren't as good as the chinese, but arguable more creative with it. They give lots of weird balls, and even backspin ball on some of the chiquitas they do. Nobody is as smooth and is as quick to adjust as ZJK. His technique in this shot is the most advanced in my opinion. 

This is all in regards to a simple backspin serve though. Things change a little with other kinds of serves. But that's why the "Chiquita" is a popular service receive, it's something you can adapt very easily last second all with the same base and with over the table range of motion. You can open on any ball right away.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2013 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

That's a great explanation of a Bh Flip, Kurokami. Smile

This is a really great thread, but nobody is going to have an exact answer because we're all students and there are ancient chinese secrets involved LOL

ZJK isn't really flipping the ball though. He's looping it over the table. He doesn't flip much, but Ma Long sure does. ZJK starts with his racket closed and his body position because it gives him a bigger range of motion to generate racket speed. When you are doing the "Chiquita" with a ball that's pure backspin, you want to contact the ball toward the axis (the side of the ball) as the spin has little effect there and your shot can be made clean and you don't have to overcome the spin. 

The flip is different as you use the spin directly. Ma Long does it a lot. 

The Japanese do this much more pronounced with the side contact, but they aren't as good as the chinese, but arguable more creative with it. They give lots of weird balls, and even backspin ball on some of the chiquitas they do. Nobody is as smooth and is as quick to adjust as ZJK. His technique in this shot is the most advanced in my opinion. 

This is all in regards to a simple backspin serve though. Things change a little with other kinds of serves. But that's why the "Chiquita" is a popular service receive, it's something you can adapt very easily last second all with the same base and with over the table range of motion. You can open on any ball right away.

Thanks!

I have ambitions of mastering this shot (like many of us I guess).

I have read threads about this shot and some reckon it can take years to learn. Well I'm not really buying that...

I have two questions:

1) What rubbers are best for BH for this shot. ZJK is reputed to use T05FX now and previously T64. Can it be done with T05? Similar rubbers and is max rubber always used?

2) Is their a route to this shot? Is is all or nothing or can a baby version of this shot be learned first then progressed to the full blown banana flip.

Desperately seeking your tips please.
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2013 at 5:05pm
IMHO, you can do the BH flick with any kind of inverted rubbers. I would recommend you to practice the BH loop until you have a good feeling for it, then the flick will naturally come.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2013 at 5:05pm
I can make this shot when I don't have to move too far to my right and I am certain as to the spin on the serve.  ZJK always plays it like he knows exactly what the spin is on the serve (because he does) even though the world's top players do not hit the same serve every time --- even if it sometimes looks like it is the same.  These guys are so far beyond us it is just absurd. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2013 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

IMHO, you can do the BH flick with any kind of inverted rubbers. I would recommend you to practice the BH loop until you have a good feeling for it, then the flick will naturally come.

Interesting...

So, touch and feel are important keys...

I am currently working to perfect my BH loop against long serves and long pushes. Relaxed grip, touch and feel are important keys for my BH loop. I hadn't previously associated a standard BH loop with the banana flick because they look so different, but it makes sense now you've highlighted the link. ...

Thanks!

Edited by CraneStyle - 12/05/2013 at 6:09pm
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2013 at 6:13pm
It's definitely a matter of developing the feel, and just experimenting. Everyone has their own style and preference. Practice it in an isolated situation, drill it. Become confident and further your experimentation. It's a shot that takes a long time to get down well, but once you are comfortable, it feels like magic being able to loop balls over the table that you would usually not be able to. 

Any rubber works, although the japanese soft sponge type is easier because of the access to easier speed. T05 makes the shot much easier than almost anything. But I'd recommend learning on something slower so you are forced to generate some racket speed first before benefiting from tenergy. It's completely up to you though, but T05 will make the shot a lot easier. 

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2013 at 6:46pm
@beeray1 - "Everyone has their own style"

Yeah... It's hit n miss for me because I keep trying different variations of the stoke. I obvously need to stick to something...

Thanks for the tips.
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2013 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

Interesting...

So, touch and feel are important keys...

I am currently working to perfect my BH loop against long serves and long pushes. Relaxed grip, touch and feel are important keys for my BH loop.
Thanks!

I can do this shot reliably (but the quality of the serves and the flicks is of course not that that high) against short and half long serves. My footwork is not good enough to accommodate fast serves and I get trapped when I misread a long serve as a half long serve.

If a serve is short and you can get in position before the top of the bounce, you can go over it and add more emphasis on speed as it is easier to get it over the net. You just need to have good wrist acceleration. Keeping a high elbow and letting it drop helps.
If it is very short than getting to it at the top of the bounce is not possible as you will have too much forward motion if you come over the table and will not be able to recover. In this case it is better to take the ball after the top of the bounce and do a banana flip (hit side of the ball and lift it a little). You cannot get good speed on this shot so the emphasis has to be on placement and spin. As you have more time you can look at your opponents position and then place the ball.
If the serve is half-long you can again go over the ball. As your paddle can come up from below the table, you have more paddle speed so it is easier to put in a good quality shot.
The most difficult part for me has been dealing with serves a little more than half long and long serves. These cramp me up if I misread the serve and I have to hit near the bottom of the paddle instead of the top to keep the ball in play.
There's also an issue with predictability. Someone who can disguise a long serve well can trap you and win a point straight off the serve. This happens at all levels I am sure.

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 2:26am
The Flipping in detailes.

Some analytical video for your better understanding.

NOTE: the high accelleration of the receiver's wrist is the key point here.
The racket touches the ball on the 0-3 Hrs ball's circle section....

Good luck.

Edited by igorponger - 12/06/2013 at 2:30am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 3:18am
you can do the bh banana flip against any kind of spin including heavy backspin. (I do). But not with the closed blade face like you see from the pros. The reason why they can use such a closed face is that the serve is sidespin with light backspin (just enough to prevent drive as I said).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic