Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ZJK flips 90ish% of serves. How does he do it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 3:43am
I will never be convinced that professional players serve sidespin with light backspin all the time. 
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 8:43am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

you can do the bh banana flip against any kind of spin including heavy backspin. (I do). But not with the closed blade face like you see from the pros. The reason why they can use such a closed face is that the serve is sidespin with light backspin (just enough to prevent drive as I said).

The reason they can use a closed face is that 

1) their timing is much better 
2) their blade speed is much faster
3( they read the ball much better.

The truth is that only ZJK and Xu Chenhao have a real idea of how heavy that ball was.  However, the pros are able to generate such blade speed with the technique that we can only dream of.  After watching Hao Shuai this past weekend and seeing the gap between a 2900 player and a USATT 2500 player, I appreciated that even at that level, there are things that only the best can do.  I could pretend to copy Hao Shuai but without his athleticism, it would just be an imitation.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

you can do the bh banana flip against any kind of spin including heavy backspin. (I do). But not with the closed blade face like you see from the pros. The reason why they can use such a closed face is that the serve is sidespin with light backspin (just enough to prevent drive as I said).

The reason they can use a closed face is that 

1) their timing is much better 
2) their blade speed is much faster
3( they read the ball much better.

The truth is that only ZJK and Xu Chenhao have a real idea of how heavy that ball was.  However, the pros are able to generate such blade speed with the technique that we can only dream of.  After watching Hao Shuai this past weekend and seeing the gap between a 2900 player and a USATT 2500 player, I appreciated that even at that level, there are things that only the best can do.  I could pretend to copy Hao Shuai but without his athleticism, it would just be an imitation.

Surely trying to be ZJK is not the aim... That is near impossible for most (including me).

But mastering this shot is well within our capabilities. We must believe.
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 3:10pm
[URL=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4ayjFwhPg[/URL]

Edited by V-Griper - 12/06/2013 at 3:15pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4ayjFwhPg
Thanks!  That's the best tutorial of ZJK's technique I've seen so far. Thumbs Up

Edited by GMan4911 - 12/06/2013 at 4:08pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 5:10pm
You can't just do it ! you have to read the serve for a start, even if you practice it forever.
The Older I get, The better I was.
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 7:13pm
It's not generally true, I think. In my case, for half of a year, I just literally flicked every single serve from opponents without considering about the results and then I developed the feeling for the BH flick. Right now, I think I can flick 80% of the services, except long serves to FH side.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
rfan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 7:50pm

IMHO ZJK is best at this perhaps simply because of a combination of his:

1) Ability to quickly move into the best position to execute the stroke
(monster legs + footwork)

2) Ability to accurately read the depth, type of spin, and amount of spin on the ball, read opponent's next possible move and COMMIT to it
(good understanding of spin + practice)

3) Ability to accurately contact the right location on ball either close to or away from the axle of rotation depending on incoming spin
(good understanding of spin + good technique + practice)

4) Ability to execute with explosive wrist movement and impart good spin
(good technique + good rubber)

5) Ability to place the ball on the right spot on the table to setup his next shot
(good placement)

6) Ability to recover fast and execute his attack or counter opponent's attack
(monster legs + footwork again!)

7) Ability to win - With or without tearing his shirt!  LOL

Edited by rfan - 12/06/2013 at 7:51pm
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4ayjFwhPg

Thanks!  That's the best tutorial of ZJK's technique I've seen so far. Thumbs Up

I second that...

An absolutely amazing tutorial and that's without understanding the writing.

Thanks!
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 8:44pm
@rfan  +1

@apw +1

@soulofrock  It is true.  With a lot of work, players who are not pros can develop one particular skill and hone it to a pretty high level.  You have to be a certain level to do it of course.  A good return of serve is a huge plus for you I am sure.  That thing that amazes me about ZJK in addition to that flip is what he is able to do next.  He is so ridiculously well balanced that it almost doesn't matter what the server does next, ZJK is perfectly balanced for the next ball.  Lesser players, ordinary mortals, even players in that 50-200 in the world range, can be in much more trouble if by chance the server handles the BH flick with a really good counterloop, for example to the FH side. 

Guys like ZJK and FZD, and pretty much anyone on the CNT are so much better than any one shot that they hit in isolation!  It is the way they can string shots together, almost never mistime, nearly always judge spin correctly, and just about never lose their center of gravity.  (Well, at least when he gives a crap.  I have seen an occasional match from ZJK where it is pretty obvious he is not into playing at that point).
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

@rfan  +1

@apw +1

@soulofrock  It is true.  With a lot of work, players who are not pros can develop one particular skill and hone it to a pretty high level.  You have to be a certain level to do it of course.  A good return of serve is a huge plus for you I am sure.  That thing that amazes me about ZJK in addition to that flip is what he is able to do next.  He is so ridiculously well balanced that it almost doesn't matter what the server does next, ZJK is perfectly balanced for the next ball.  Lesser players, ordinary mortals, even players in that 50-200 in the world range, can be in much more trouble if by chance the server handles the BH flick with a really good counterloop, for example to the FH side. 

Guys like ZJK and FZD, and pretty much anyone on the CNT are so much better than any one shot that they hit in isolation!  It is the way they can string shots together, almost never mistime, nearly always judge spin correctly, and just about never lose their center of gravity.  (Well, at least when he gives a crap.  I have seen an occasional match from ZJK where it is pretty obvious he is not into playing at that point).

Clap Quality post. 
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 11:53pm
I wonder what toll this backhand return technique takes on the elbow.

I practised it a lot and then had nearly a year off thanks to tennis elbow (I know I increased my load a lot from a low base but still).

I got the impression that ZJK might have been carrying an elbow or arm injury in his recent loss to FZD. After quite a few points he clutched at his arm and elbow.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 8:35am
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

I wonder what toll this backhand return technique takes on the elbow.

I practised it a lot and then had nearly a year off thanks to tennis elbow (I know I increased my load a lot from a low base but still).

I got the impression that ZJK might have been carrying an elbow or arm injury in his recent loss to FZD. After quite a few points he clutched at his arm and elbow.
Any kind of excessive repetitive motion can induce tennis elbow.  I developed tennis elbow 5 months ago from overdoing forehand drills. 
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2014 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I will never be convinced that professional players serve sidespin with light backspin all the time. 

I stand by my claim: the pros most of the time do not serve heavy backspin. Here is one example where they do: http://youtu.be/oLSdOUwzgeQ?t=41s  (start at 0 min 41 sec)

See how different FZD's serve looks from the usual.

And when they do serve like that, there is no way you can receive with banana flip with a closed blade face.

In theory you could do a banana flip with an open blade face, but it is counterproductive, so in practice you only see short pushes.

Bottom line: when you see banana flip with closed face, it is because the serve had light backspin, and this in turn was because the server wanted to force the opponent to either flip or to play a less effective short push.

Edited by seguso - 01/05/2014 at 7:02am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic