Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Class System explained

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Class System explained
    Posted: 10/28/2015 at 12:49pm
New Class Rating System
Here is the article:

Oct 26 2015 Timeline Post .. Sweating man .. Read the Comments to picture .. for the explanation ..

https://www.facebook.com/USA-Hobby-Table-Tennis-Coalition-273547322692911/?ref=tn_tnmn

Is this better than a Match Rating System ?

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/28/2015 at 12:52pm
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Sponsored Links

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 1:56pm
Are you philosophically opposed to posting actual article here? I don t like jumping through FB hoops just to get access to something . Makes me question your motives here.

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Are you philosophically opposed to posting actual article here? I don t like jumping through FB hoops just to get access to something . Makes me question your motives here.

+1 on that.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

+1 on that.

Anything original there is protected by Copyright
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

+1 on that.

I believe Copyright protection exists everywhere to the creator of the document.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 2:43pm

As long as you re not representing the work as your own, you provide the appropriate credit, and you provide a link to the source, I don t see a problem posting it.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

As long as you re not representing the work as your own, you provide the appropriate credit, and you provide a link to the source, I don t see a problem posting it.

It can be linked. Reproduction is not allowed.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 4:26pm
Well, let s just say since I can t access facebook at work, I will not be reading any of those soon if ever.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 4:37pm

New Class Rating System
Here is the article:

Oct 26 2015 Timeline Post .. Sweating man .. Read the Comments to picture .. for the explanation ..

https://www.facebook.com/USA-Hobby-Table-Tennis-Coalition-273547322692911/?ref=tn_tnmn

Well, you can at least use the Hyperlink icon so everybody doesn t have to copy/paste.  The more you want people to check out a link, the more reason to do so.

What the class ratings people seem to miss is that they system would make seeding tournaments difficult.  Further, it would change completely the complexion of typical USATT tournaments because ratings events would be eliminated due to the coarseness of the divisions.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Well, let s just say since I can t access facebook at work, I will not be reading any of those soon if ever.
It s looking more like a round about sales pitch to get people to sign up for Facebook. Guess I won t be reading it anytime soon either.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 4:42pm

It s an online public conversation between multiple individuals.  I m pretty sure that fair use would apply.  But regardless, the guy running the site is using a copyrighted image from 123RF.com without permission.  The image is watermarked specifically to discourage such pirating.  So frankly, I wouldn t be too concerned about possibly violating his possible claim of copyright to the conversation of others.

If the facebook page owner had written an original essay, then I think your concerns about copying that would be more reasonable. But I m not sure even then ...

From Facebook Terms of Service on copyrights - line 4.

"When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).

Edited by wturber - 10/28/2015 at 4:53pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

New Class Rating System
Here is the article:

Well, you can at least use the Hyperlink icon so everybody doesn t have to copy/paste.  The more you want people to check out a link, the more reason to do so.

What the class ratings people seem to miss is that they system would make seeding tournaments difficult.  Further, it would change completely the complexion of typical USATT tournaments because ratings events would be eliminated due to the coarseness of the divisions.

They would be seeded by Class in an event. All players in a particular class would be distinguished by their status points accumulated. For example: C event .... all C Class players seeded 1st .... then D Class Players, etc. Same thing for Open Events.

Class Events would take the place of rating events, for example instead of a 1600 U event .... it would be a Class C and under event.

I did try to do the Hyperlink but for an unknown reason this time it wouldn t work.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/28/2015 at 5:50pm
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

It s an online public conversation between multiple individuals.  I m pretty sure that fair use would apply. But regardless, the guy running the site is using a copyrighted image from 123RF.com without permission.  The image is watermarked specifically to discourage such pirating.  So frankly, I wouldn t be too concerned about possibly violating his possible claim of copyright to the conversation of others.

If the facebook page owner had written an original essay, then I think your concerns about copying that would be more reasonable. But I m not sure even then ...

From Facebook Terms of Service on copyrights - line 4.

"When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).

The multiple individuals are fictional cartoon characters created for theatrical purposes therefore Copyright protected. The characters are used to make jokes or theatrical points.

The Picture used there was provided by using their Hyperlink (123) which causes the picture to automatically be shown so it is advertising for that website which is to their benefit. The picture was not copied to a file and then posted there which is inappropriate.

I tried to use the Hyperlink for the article but for an unknown reason it didn t work.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/28/2015 at 5:53pm
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 6:15pm
Back to Topic .... Is a Match Rating System better than a Class Rating System ....

In my opinion .... a Match Rating System works better for the Professionals .... so it is basically a one class system used to distinguish the top players for an on going period of time of one year.

In my opinion .... A Class Rating System .... works better when there is a major diversity of Hobby Players.

A rating system .. for hobby participants .. should inspire participation .. not the opposite.

A good way to judge a system is to track the increases or decreases in participation by their membership. Does it inspire a lot of new members to join the organization and retain them ?
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 7:12pm
So in other words - you think something like the England system would be better where you have lower divisions and then the premier division?

Well, I would agree. That would be excellent. I think the point system is kind of crazy.

Tennis more or less already has this system - the 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5...etc groups.

The only problem is you end up having a TON of 3.5 and 4.0 players and people who are 4.5 end up with no one to play - so most people dread moving up to 4.5 and will even throw matches when they think they are close.

If you add a promotion and relegation system to the mix to help keep a balance, it might really be awesome.

I just think it sucks to know your points are on the line each match and you will do anything to protect your high...because your game is identified by a number in the end. This way you would be identified by your division and with quality play you could move up. Only a serious string of losses would bring you down. However you wouldn t really know when you would move down or up - the numbers would be kept internally but could be used for seeding purposes even.

At the pro levels the rating system just for seeding and is on a rolling calendar. Points never change with the current USA system. You could have played your last match 20 years ago and got to an amazing 2400...stopped playing, aged 20 years, gave up the sport and now want to come back? 2400 time for you...good luck!

So perhaps also have a time limit to the divisions....if you don t play for X years you move down a division or something to this effect.

Edited by wilkinru - 10/28/2015 at 7:18pm
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 7:21pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It s looking more like a round about sales pitch to get people to sign up for Facebook. Guess I won t be reading it anytime soon either.
Given the history of LUCKYLOOP s posts, it s more likely a sales pitch for the Hobby Table Tennis Coalition.

A couple of comments on the USA Hobby Table Tennis Coalition s FaceBook page:
Quote INTRODUCTION .. MUST READ .. We .. idolize Forrest Gump .. whose .. girlfriend .. wife .. was named .. Jenny .. in the .. MOVIE .. so .. we pay tribute by .. calling all females Jenny .. calling all guys Bubba .. the name of his best friend ..
For the .. ULTIMATE .. HUMOR EXPERIENCE .. read the comments to the timeline posts .. by the cast of characters .. and .. the characters pages on their profile for more info ..
Question: where have we seen this unique writing style before?  Answer:

Club balls are old .... since used hours and hours .... not live balls .... maybe that is part of the reason some people have trouble adjusting to tournament play ....
Conclusion: LUCKYLOOP is the US Hobby Table Tennis Coalition.  So it s probably reasonable to assume that everything he posts is a sales pitch.

Originally posted by Hobby Table Tennis Coalition (aka LUCKYLOOP) Hobby Table Tennis Coalition (aka LUCKYLOOP) wrote:

This is for adults 23 up working at a full time job and retired seniors over 50. These players do not have/allocate much time to practice and/or their skill level usually does not change much/or only gradually during their life.
It seems to me that the aims of the HobbyTTC are pretty much at odds with the aim of most of the posters on this forum.  We are, by and large, intensely interested in changing our skill level (even if we think that EJing is the way to do it!). 

Originally posted by HobbyTTC aka LL HobbyTTC aka LL wrote:

RULE CHANGE - TABLE TENNIS SHIRTS - The back of the shirt should not have any restrictions on the size of advertisements or size of other items and allow alcoholic beverage ads for adults 21 up.
This is typical of the suggestions at HobbyTTC.  Regardless of any merit this suggestion may or may not have, it pretty much indicates that the future of table tennis in the author s eyes has sod all to do with the skills of the game.  Their Facebook page has lots and lots of suggestions about how to make table tennis more popular but says virtually nothing about how to improve a player s game - apart from advocating antispin on your backhand!

In short, it seems to me that LUCKYLOOP s (aka Hobby Table Tennis Coalition) interests are very different from the rest of the forum s.  When I see a post from him, I tend to think it s just a sales pitch.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 7:29pm
I checked out the link , just seemed to be pictures?
anyway everyone needs a rating and having a class system is no different to what USA has now, every 100 points seems to be a class over there
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 8:30pm
Back on Topic

What about the two Ratings Systems .... Pros and Cons .... Do they promote participation ?
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 9:05pm

Back on Topic

What about the two Ratings Systems .... Pros and Cons .... Do they promote participation ?
Since you are such a strong advocate of this class system, I m curious what your USATT rating is? If you have one.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 10:27pm

Back on Topic

Since you are such a strong advocate of this class system, I m curious what your USATT rating is? If you have one.

Not relevant to the Topic
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 12:15am

Back on Topic

Actually I think your rating would be relevant to the topic. It might help other forum members understand why when ever a rating topic thread is started you always bring up the Class rating system as the savior to all the rating ills of USATT rating system. You could be a 2300+ level player who thinks he shouldn t be bothered with having to play low rated players. Maybe you always get stuck having to play the under rated junior player. There s other scenarios also. So yes I believe your rating is relevant to the topic. Here s a question for you. The upcoming US Nationals has close to 90 events, under your class system how many events would there be?
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 12:46am

Back on Topic

Actually I think your rating would be relevant to the topic. It might help other forum members understand why when ever a rating topic thread is started you always bring up the Class rating system as the savior to all the rating ills of USATT rating system. You could be a 2300+ level player who thinks he shouldn t be bothered with having to play low rated players. Maybe you always get stuck having to play the under rated junior player. There s other scenarios also. So yes I believe your rating is relevant to the topic. Here s a question for you. The upcoming US Nationals has close to 90 events, under your class system how many events would there be?

There would be 8 less Class System events of the 90 events listed but that may or may not be relevant. It would be difficult to estimate what effect that would have, if any.

The real issue - does the Match Rating System, with all it s problems, inspire participation ? There is a lot of historical data available to analyze this. That would be a good Thesis for somebody working on a Sports Advanced Degree.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 12:53am

Back on Topic

There would be 8 less Class System events of the 90 events listed but that may or may not be relevant. It would be difficult to estimate what effect that would have, if any.

The real issue - does the Match Rating System, with all it s problems, inspire participation ? There is a lot of historical data available to analyze this. That would be a good Thesis for somebody working on a Sports Advanced Degree.
Actually let me rephrase the question this way. How many events would the following rated players 1000, 1350, 1700, 2000, 2400+ would each person be able to enter under your class system idea at the Nationals/
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 2:42am
The problem isn t with the rating system, it s with the players who think their rating is so important that they will do anything to keep it up.  Some players default matches that put their rating at risk so they can tell their friends that they have a xxxx rating.  They and all their table tennis friends know it s a false rating, but it still happens. 

I work hard to get a high rating and am proud when I move up and disappointed when it goes down, but I accept that as part of the sport I love.  It s a measurement of my achievement to date.  Now that I m over 70 I m working harder than ever to continue my upward movement.  It seems the more my rating goes up, the harder I work to keep it up.

Warning to those going to the U.S. Nationals.  I plan on picking off some higher rated opponents so I can move up even higher.  
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 7:45am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

The problem isn t with the rating system, it s with the players who think their rating is so important that they will do anything to keep it up.  Some players default matches that put their rating at risk so they can tell their friends that they have a xxxx rating.  They and all their table tennis friends know it s a false rating, but it still happens. 

I work hard to get a high rating and am proud when I move up and disappointed when it goes down, but I accept that as part of the sport I love.  It s a measurement of my achievement to date.  Now that I m over 70 I m working harder than ever to continue my upward movement.  It seems the more my rating goes up, the harder I work to keep it up.

Warning to those going to the U.S. Nationals.  I plan on picking off some higher rated opponents so I can move up even higher.  

If that kind of attitude is inherent in a Match Rating System, which causes too much negative feedback, then a proper marketing strategy, to promote hobby participation, would be to change the system to a user friendly approach. You can t force adults to eat Broccoli a healthy food at your restaurant, no matter how many different ways you fix it, if they don t like it, so you give them other options on healthy food that satisfies their palate and nutritional needs. The Chinese restaurants in the USA have adapted their preparation of their style of food to be successful and stay in business.

Example: a hobby player rated a coveted 2000 plays in an initial RR of an event, he loses to the top two seeds, so he is not going to advance, a player seeded below him has a style he doesn t like to play which gives him trouble, he perceives a potential upset losing rating points, he defaults to protect his rating. In a Class System, he may decide to play the guy for good experience, since it has no effect on his rating win or lose.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/29/2015 at 8:55am
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 8:51am
One flaw with the class system is that it s not uniform in determining skill level from one area to another.  A class C player in one area might be a class F in another area or class A in another.  I can see people who think they are hot sh!t class A in their area playing a class A event at the Nationals only to discover they are class C at best.   With the current system, it s easier to get an idea of one s playing level.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 9:04am

One flaw with the class system is that it s not uniform in determining skill level from one area to another.  A class C player in one area might be a class F in another area or class A in another.  I can see people who think they are hot sh!t class A in their area playing a class A event at the Nationals only to discover they are class C at best.   With the current system, it s easier to get an idea of one s playing level.

You could say the same thing about match ratings, where a 1600 player from different areas, has no chance of winning the 1600 U event at the nationals. Too many variable factors which includes personal coaches etc.

The class ratings have to be uniformly applied across the nation just like any system used.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:55am

The class ratings have to be uniformly applied across the nation just like any system used.

But that s the rub.  Without a numerical rating system, there s no way for a class system to be applied uniformly.  The current system may not be 100% accurate but it get s you in the ballpark.

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:59am
I definitely agree that there is a rating disparity from region to region in the USA. Case in point, at the 2014 US Nationals one the players from our club rated 1703 beat 7 players between 1858 to 2087 and came out of the tournament rated 1972. Him and 5 others players from gained approximately 1100 rating points. Six tournaments later back in our area his rating was back down to 1704. At the 2015 US Open he beats 5 player between 1828-1957 and comes out with a 1930 rating.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 12:18pm
Vince64,

Were most of his point losses to juniors (who might be underrated even relative to your area) or to adults with fairly stable ratings histories?  Were most of his losses to players who play at national or major regional events or to players who have played exclusively locally?  Do you have or have you had recently many players entering tournaments with ratings below 500?  Below 1000?

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic