Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Trying to relearn BH, need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zettalith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zettalith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to relearn BH, need advice
    Posted: 04/30/2015 at 12:50pm
My rating has been in the 1600 s USATT for 4 years. Serves are my strength, and FH is good for looping and backhand good at blocking/placement. However, my footwork is OK at best and I struggle to gain any advantage when using BH. My BH does not have much power/spin consistently and opponents take advantage of it.

No matter how much I advance in FH and serve game, I think I get held back because of this BH weakness (among others). I  I want to change my backhand swing and have been working on it. I started trying to swing more loosely while using a little wrist and using legs/and hips to generate power.

I use tenergy 05fx on the backhand and when I hit a loop correctly (1 in 5 hits maybe) I like the feeling. It is also very good for blocking/counter. I was wondering if I would benefit from switching to something like HPB for better control while trying to relearn my BH. I know that rubbers can t fix the BH swing but I was wondering if it was worth the purchase to help ease the transition.

Does anyone have any examples of how they improved their backhand after years of it being a major weakness?
IFL ZLC,Rasant g,Rasant g
YEO,TG2,T64
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:13pm
Tenergy 05FX is fine.

The first key to backhand play is to first of all accept that it is not a forehand. 

The second key is to multiball the stroke to death and start slowly with a focus on spin over speed.

Look at the videos on Backhand Topspin by Brett Clarke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvxkRaSZQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7C24HsqlQ

If you have proper forehand and backhand looping technique, you pretty much use the same stroke for topspin and underspin with minor modifications. 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zettalith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zettalith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:29pm
wow, thanks. i had seen some of his other videos but not this one. very helpful. The part about the not starting the backswing so soon and tensing muscles might help alot.
IFL ZLC,Rasant g,Rasant g
YEO,TG2,T64
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 9:23pm
I went from a weak BH to a strong one (for my level) in the course of about a year.

I did multiball practice once a week for two hours, split with another player. That way one person is up, the other is picking up balls, and very little time is wasted.

Drilled a bunch of multiball, but also played BH to BH only games. Block off the FH sides of the table with cardboard boxes set at an angle, restrict yourself to only BH to BH crosscourt. Simple topspin serves to start the point, play out BH only games to 11.

jfolsen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic