Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To catapult or not to catapult ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kunglao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kunglao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To catapult or not to catapult ?
    Posted: 04/08/2024 at 10:08am
So I came up in the speed glue era. And the goal was always go have the springiest rubber combo possible because back then that meant more spin and speed ( Bty bryce, Hammond pro alpha etc). Now I personally, i’m still constantly searching for equipment that replicates what we used to have back then ( no luck yet 😩) but then I noticed a lot of players on here hate rubbers that catapult. It’s almost like that’s a negative attribute to have these days. I was wondering if anyone (old school or new school) could give some insight to this phenomenon?
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2024 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by kunglao kunglao wrote:

So I came up in the speed glue era. And the goal was always go have the springiest rubber combo possible because back then that meant more spin and speed ( Bty bryce, Hammond pro alpha etc). Now I personally, i’m still constantly searching for equipment that replicates what we used to have back then ( no luck yet 😩) but then I noticed a lot of players on here hate rubbers that catapult. It’s almost like that’s a negative attribute to have these days. I was wondering if anyone (old school or new school) could give some insight to this phenomenon?

Try Bryce Highspeed then lol.   Or Dignics 64.   I hate high catapult rubbers because I lack short game touch.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/08/2024 at 3:59pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2024 at 9:49am
Originally posted by kunglao kunglao wrote:

You are right! 

I think that young well trained players hate rubbers that catapult.
Older players love rubbers that catapult. 

InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2024 at 3:08pm
I am going through a realization right now where I admit that I enjoy some of my set-ups (confession: recovering EJ here🤚) that have a very 'catapulty' feeling while just hitting around casually with a friend, but that my game seems to improve when I play the set-up with stable linear rubber.  It just helps at the table, both with short game, but also with blocking short spinny shots, smashing high pop-ups and what not.  It's more predictable and stable, so sudden reactive shots tend to land more than go long.  
Just my 2 cents
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic