Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing against "street players"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Imzadim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imzadim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing against "street players"
    Posted: 03/05/2008 at 6:42pm
Hi there,

Yesterday I was playing a "pseudo-chopper" in my club. The problem is that he plays very strange and every single ball is weird, unpredictable and sometimes very spiny. He is not the typical chopper -if there's such a thing- so you don't really know what to expect.

This is one of these cases where the player is a "street player", like I like to call them, but have played so long that he is very good at what he does.

I lost 3-0 against him and I'm still clueless on how to play him. I was thinking I should push a little bit more and avoid attacking too much since the balls are so unpredictable (sometimes I wonder if he knew what the shot was gonna be!)

Ideas?

Sponsored Links

chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2008 at 7:26pm
These are often very talented individuals but without much training.  First you need to get used to their game.  If you have sound basics (there are reasons that pros hit the way they do, instead of the "street" way) and as talented as they are, some day you will prevail. 
I don't know about here in the US, but in my country, there are quite a few of them.  They often play for money and from time to time beat even national level players. 
celeronx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celeronx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2008 at 7:28pm
No they are not talented (most of the times) I know exactly what you mean. They drive me totally nuts, players that dont have any technique, play like amateurs but are playing it for so long that they can just keep it on the table and defeat you. darn I hate em
Keopele19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keopele19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2008 at 7:46pm
TIP OF THE WEEK

Looping the Dead Stuff

By Carl Danner

You're playing a fairly weak fellow at the club and find your fancy loops flying everywhere but the table. In your mind, you debate whether to keep going for neat-looking winners, or whether you should give up on that and just win the match through any means possible. Meanwhile your opponent lets out a grunt as he sends you another goofy-looking stroke that you frisbee to the barrier. Are we having fun yet?

In this scenario, what's actually happening is more than a threat to your ego and self-image. You are underestimating the challenge and opportunity posed by the balls your opponent is feeding you. The challenge is that his shots likely have little spin on them, and probably vary in random ways your opponent may not even be able to control. The opportunity is for you to get some valuable looping practice by concentrating on each different ball individually.

Oddly enough, it can be easier to loop against higher-level players. Their balls are more predictable, often containing consistent underspin that will turn into topspin off your racket and thereby aid your shot. Grooving a particular loop stroke is not too difficult against such balls. The lower-level opponent, however, often sends many dead balls your way that are more difficult to loop because they won't bounce up as much, and because they force you to develop your own topspin entirely. Positioning and footwork also become more critical as a dead ball's trajectory offers a smaller window during which you can effectively loop it.

So rather than standing around in these matches, use the opportunity to work your footwork hard to get into position for a good loop each time. Drive the ball a little more forward and take a full swing to add good topspin. The discipline of this practice will not only make these encounters more enjoyable, but will also benefit you in more competitive matches when you find a sudden need to handle an unusual ball at a critical juncture.
blade: Petr Korbel
fh: Inspirit Quattro Ultralight 40deg 2.2mm
bh: Inspirit Quattro 40deg 2.0mm
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Keopele19 Keopele19 wrote:

TIP OF THE WEEK

Looping the Dead Stuff

By Carl Danner

You're playing a fairly weak fellow at the club and find your fancy loops flying everywhere but the table. In your mind, you debate whether to keep going for neat-looking winners, or whether you should give up on that and just win the match through any means possible. Meanwhile your opponent lets out a grunt as he sends you another goofy-looking stroke that you frisbee to the barrier. Are we having fun yet?

In this scenario, what's actually happening is more than a threat to your ego and self-image. You are underestimating the challenge and opportunity posed by the balls your opponent is feeding you. The challenge is that his shots likely have little spin on them, and probably vary in random ways your opponent may not even be able to control. The opportunity is for you to get some valuable looping practice by concentrating on each different ball individually.

Oddly enough, it can be easier to loop against higher-level players. Their balls are more predictable, often containing consistent underspin that will turn into topspin off your racket and thereby aid your shot. Grooving a particular loop stroke is not too difficult against such balls. The lower-level opponent, however, often sends many dead balls your way that are more difficult to loop because they won't bounce up as much, and because they force you to develop your own topspin entirely. Positioning and footwork also become more critical as a dead ball's trajectory offers a smaller window during which you can effectively loop it.

So rather than standing around in these matches, use the opportunity to work your footwork hard to get into position for a good loop each time. Drive the ball a little more forward and take a full swing to add good topspin. The discipline of this practice will not only make these encounters more enjoyable, but will also benefit you in more competitive matches when you find a sudden need to handle an unusual ball at a critical juncture.

Wow, that was a mouthful... But strongly agreed.

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 1:37am
Now that I play hardbat, I probably qualify as being one of these goofy players ;).  
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 4:17am
the place that i play r full of these players lol. they make me eat my rubbers everytime!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 4:31am
These players are everywhere I used to lose 3-0 to them also, but now I can win them 3-2 or 3-1 (there are still some elements where you have no clue how to control).

Firstly try to force them into your game. I find most of these guys pop up 90% or so of your no-spin, and if you serve heavy underspin, they return it with very high underspin and low trajectory.

Once you've got your head around that, then either force crappy returns (even for their standard) with long fast serves that focus on speed and placement. Or serve heavy underspin and be prepared to loop a high quality return. Other than that, I find if you play basics with them (medium quality high consistancy), you'll win 80-90% of the time.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 5:07am
when playing these type of players that your describe they often tend to play a defensive game(chop and lob) and smash the high ball that you give. I would call these "old school" they play a game before the invention of the loop.

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 5:11am
funny thing, ginko, this "old school" style does sound strangely familiar doesn't it? ahahahha jokes mate ;)
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 5:44am
Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

funny thing, ginko, this "old school" style does sound strangely familiar doesn't it? ahahahha jokes mate ;)

Haha... I learn from our older players!!! Where they kill all newbies.
"oh you can loop? *ginko smiles with his pimples*"

Ginko

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 7:09am
Yep I know these players!  My good friend has a totally "home-brew" game, uses pips on one side and some dead 729 rubber on the other.  Short spinny serves are useless, he just nudges them back.  He plays an unorthodox but effective "chop-drive" on the return from a few steps back in the table, sends back a fast floating ball with a little underspin that skips at the end of the table.  And of course can hit well.

Long fast serves to the body and corner with sidespin are hard for these players.  Loops and drives loaded with topspin similarly.  He outclasses me in consistency in the short game but flips and fast pushes take him off guard.  As I said, spin on short serves doesn't seem to matter much for him, but mixing short and long fast serves is effective to throw off his timing.

I've seen him claim victims from players with well developed games, and of course I fall victim all the time!
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 8:19am
the dark side...oh so tempting...had a hit with pips at villawood...oh so fun
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 9:14am
The only thing that i hate about "street players" - that they very often don't throw the ball when they serve. I am strongly not used to It. From the childhood I am ragular to make myself ready, to concentrate -  from the moment the ball is frown.
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 5:00pm
Yea, that non-throw of the ball on their serves really get me at times. 
Keopele19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keopele19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

These players are everywhere I used to lose 3-0 to them also, but now I can win them 3-2 or 3-1 (there are still some elements where you have no clue how to control).Firstly try to force them into your game. I find most of these guys pop up 90% or so of your no-spin, and if you serve heavy underspin, they return it with very high underspin and low trajectory.Once you've got your head around that, then either force crappy returns (even for their standard) with long fast serves that focus on speed and placement. Or serve heavy underspin and be prepared to loop a high quality return. Other than that, I find if you play basics with them (medium quality high consistancy), you'll win 80-90% of the time.

Well put.
blade: Petr Korbel
fh: Inspirit Quattro Ultralight 40deg 2.2mm
bh: Inspirit Quattro 40deg 2.0mm
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 7:08pm
Because of their unorthodox strokes we tend to think of "street" players as "lesser" opponents, but let's face it, they are experienced players with lots of practice.  Their strength is consistency.  They can read and return serves well.  They may not have killing shots, but they make most of their shots.  I guess you just have to play them the same way you play other players, learning their game and beating them with your own skill and consistency.
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2008 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by iakovka iakovka wrote:

The only thing that i hate about "street players" - that they very often don't throw the ball when they serve. I am strongly not used to It. From the childhood I am ragular to make myself ready, to concentrate -  from the moment the ball is frown.
iakovka-tikovka..tak nikto ne nazival?mi tezki,,,
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 5:47am
When it comes to these players... you don't even want to get me started.  I really don't like them (no, I don't mean them as a person).   One of the reasons being is that they are ping pong players who usually don't do much to help the actual sport of table tennis grow in the United States.  They probably don't even know that it's a sport.  They are also annoying because they use those cheap 2$ rackets that completely kill the spin and ruin the game.  Then when we go to loop again, we'll miss because we're used to topspin when our shots get blocked.  AND THEN they get cocky while they don't even know why we missed. (not because of an awsome shot from them, but because they use a recreational paddle that kills the spin completely)

And as for the no throwing the ball on a serve, NO SIR!!!  I won't F***ing have it.  It's annoying, against the rules.  It's cheating.  I will tell them the right way to serve and if they don't follow the rules, their won't be a game.

Now.  As for strategy on how to play them... because I play them ALL the time at my school and learned to play them from years of experience....!!!!!

(All the strategy will be against those very cheap hardbat short pips no sponge paddles)

One thing that I've seemed to notice is that when they serve and it looks like they have alot of spin on the ball, it's usually light, so chances are, that's an open loop and you should probably go for the loop.   Or if you do decide to push it back, make sure it's a hard push with lots of backspin, then when the just touch it back, it will return with very little topspin. So then you can attack THAT. 

Like it was mentioned before, it also helps alot to remember the basics. 

If anyone has any objections with any of these strategies or opinions, speak up NOW!

Understood?
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 5:51am
ONE MORE THING!!!!!!  I don't mean to be an asshole about this subject.  I want you all to know that alot of my friends play like this and I love 'em to death and everything. 

So I'm not bashing on anyone personally. 
TAKOYAK1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAKOYAK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 7:40am
LOL swiffers. I frequently come up against these players when i verse other schools in sport and i actually do quiet well but it does get annoying when they really don't have that much skill and starts beating you.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 7:52am
I can consistently beat most street players, but not the good lobbers...
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 8:14am
An older guy we have in our club might be considered a street player. 

He won the WTTC in the 30's.  And still plays every Saturday!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 10:55am

playing against street players will develop your adaptibility.. it will help you prepare to go against unknown opponents.. they are not to be shunned upon rather learning from our mistakes while playing against them will help our game

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 10:59am
God I hate those no throw serves
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
Blockade View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 12:07pm
I appreciate anybody who is competitive and can keep the ball on the table.  Isn't that what the game is all about?
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Swiffers Swiffers wrote:

An older guy we have in our club might be considered a street player. 

He won the WTTC in the 30's.  And still plays every Saturday!

damn who is this guy!?!?! he might be in that table tennis documentary!
is it bergmann?
johnny leach?
bana?

i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

Imzadim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imzadim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Blockade Blockade wrote:

I appreciate anybody who is competitive and can keep the ball on the table.� Isn't that what the game is all about?

Definitively! Respect for this guys!

It's just annoying to play them sometimes, though. It's like playing multiball with a broken machine or something!

The more I play them on my club the more I think you have to use more strategy to beat them. These unorthodox styles seem to always have big weaknesses, but you have to be able find them and exploding them (easy said...)
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

God I hate those no throw serves

I hate those so much, bu they have helped me with my reflexes and reaction time since they are so fast.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 6:37pm
I once loaned a racket to a guy who fit the description to a "T". He basically had one shot that was a BH that I couldn't return. The funny thing is that when he finished the stroke, he would wave the paddle in the air as though he was doing Kung Fu and would glare at me afterwards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic