Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timo Boll ALC vs Mizutani Jun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timo Boll ALC vs Mizutani Jun
    Posted: 01/21/2010 at 6:38pm
Hi guys, I am currently playing with a Primorac Carbon with 2 Tenergys 05 2.1 mm. In terms of feeling, I don't like that hard feel that my blade offers, so I am looking for a softer and maybe slower blade. I also want it to have more control and SPIN.
Looking for some info, I found out that both these blades offer more control and spin than my primorac carbon, but I don't really know which one I should buy.
Doing a short research, I discovered that the new Innerforce blades don't have the ALC version, and some people say that ZLC blades will replace old ALC blades, but I do not know if that's really true.
Do you know if that is gonna happen?
I am a 2 winged looper that loves to put the more spin to the ball I can. I can describe myself as a 3rd ball attacker that loves to top spin the boll whenever possible.
I have been playing for 5 years now, 3 times or 4 a week, 2.5 - 3 hours per practice (I say this so you can measure my level).
Which blade would you suggest me?
PS: what are the differences between ALC and ZLC blades? I know ALC has a softer feel, and maybe it is better for blocking, but which one is the best to spin the ball?
Cheers
Blade: Timo Boll ALC 92 g.
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (black)
Backhand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (red).
Perfect loops
Sponsored Links

Valerikim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valerikim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 7:02pm
As you can see in my signature, I am using Mizutani and I think you are playing the same style as I am. However, I must tell you that in all tournaments I played so far I didn't meet a single opponent that was using Mizutani, so it must be a weird blade. I also think you should take a look at Photino. It is a bit slower than Mizutani, has softer feel and much much more popular among players (around 2000 USATT level that is).
Blade: Butterfly Jun Mizutani
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1 black
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1 red
Glue: Tear Mender
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 8:16pm
if you like to put spin vs speed....then i suggest you look at alc or better the old tbs, you cant go wrong
the tbs and alc have noticeably more control then mizutani jun

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 8:25pm
I haven't used the Mizutani, but the Timo Boll ALC will be a great choice if you want more spin and control than your Primorac Carbon... 
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
SLee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 8:32pm
i haven't used the ALC or the TBS but i have used the ZLC
idk if it's helpful but i like the MJ more than the ZLC that i have
and am planning to switch back

idk how helpful this will be
USATT Rating: 2054

YEO CPen
FH: H3 NEO
BH: Express Xplode
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 8:48pm
Speed Meter:

ZLC > Mizutani > ALC > TBS. 

I've played with all 4 blades and thats my opinion.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 8:53pm
i would say the mizu is a touch faster then the zlc....at least the ones i have tried!

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 9:35pm

One day I asked on this forum if Timo Boll ZLC was just an Amultart that was renamed in TB series and somebody answered "no the TB ZLC is a Mizutani renamed" (could not find the thread).

ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Speed Meter:

ZLC > Mizutani > ALC > TBS. 

I've played with all 4 blades and thats my opinion.

jt99sf,

Sorry but I beg to differ.  IMO, speed meter should be:

MJ > TB ZLC > TB ALC > TBS

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 12:24am

I wonder where the Photino would fit in here?

between the ALC & TBS?

ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 12:30am

I wonder where the Photino would fit in here?

between the ALC & TBS?

I think Photino would fit in between TB ZLC and TB ALC.  In fact, Photino is similar to TB ZLF only thicker.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 12:40am
so the Photino is faster than the ALC? I need to run some tests. Smile

ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 12:44am

so the Photino is faster than the ALC? I need to run some tests. Smile

Put T05 on FH & WP1013 on BH with Photino and I think you might have to agree with me...LOLWink
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 8:31am
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 10:57am
wow, nice chart!

I've played with all of them even the PC blade you have.  Here are my 2 cents

Speed
PC/Amultart/Mizutani/ZLC/ALC/Maze/TBS

Control
Maze/TBS/ALC/Mizutani/Amultart/ZLC/PC

Feel/ from Hard to Soft
PC/Amultart/ZLC/Mizutani/ALC/Maze/TBS

My fav blades: from best to worst
ALC/Maze/Mizutani/TBS/Amultart/ZLC/PC

I must have played with at least 4 Timo Boll ALCs, 3 ST & 1 FL...etc, My fav 1 is ALC ST 86g.  They all played nice.  I bought my 1st ALC b/c I wanted to play like Timo Boll : stupid me :) But, I quickly liked it and adapted into its wonderful design.  My loops/flat hits all got better, of course I used T05 FH & T25 BH.  I am gonna keep my current up...for now LOL  Until my EJ worms start to bother me again for other new setups.

Thanks

tsanycWink

PS: ST handle Blades all the wayyyyyyy!!!! ALC is a tad faster and better than TBS although eveyone keeps saying they are the same......... they are not the same imho.  ALC is not just a marketing tool imho, it is the best Arylate Carbon blade I've played so far by BTY....And I don't even work for BTY :)
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 1:03pm
yea well butterfly does post its speed among all its blade in a numerical value so if you just go to their site you might find what your looking for. 
Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 1:41pm
Thank you all, guys, but I still don't know which one I should choose.
Pockerpete, I'm afraid you're wrong... I don't want more spin than speed, furthermore I like fast blades, but I wanted a slower blade and I also wanted it to have more spin than my PC. However, only a few people here talk about the spin that the Mizutani or the ALC offers... That's why I wrote SPIN in capital letters...
So guys, which one would be the right answer?
Perfect loops
Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 1:50pm
I forgot to tell you guys that I really like heavy blades, so I am not going to buy the TB ZLC cause it's kinda light...
My pc weights 92 g, and according to butterfly the ZLC weights about 84 g....
So I must decide which one I will buy between:
Timo boll ALC
Mizutani Jun
Photino
If you have more suggestions, please write them...
PS: I know that the Photino is not Head heavy, so I think I am not gonna like it...

Perfect loops
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 2:01pm
take the mizutani so master_of_loops and valerikim will be able to play somebody else using it.
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 2:08pm
If you like heavy blades, here are your only 2 choices

1st - ALC, it is really heavy, my 1st one, since I couldn't choose from that www.dandoy-sports.com store, they sent me a 94g blade.  I loved it but too heavy for me.

2nd - Mizutani, is about 92g if you don't choose. 

If you ask me which has better spins, you know the ans to that one.

ALC of course! :) mho only. 

Thx

tsanyc
Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 9:48pm
Anyone else?
I got only 2 opinions...
I lean towards the ALC more than the MJ, but some guys here keep telling me to buy the MJ...
Perfect loops
SLee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 10:40pm
IMO at your level you can make great spin with anything.
so i'd say go with something faster.
so MJ it is :D
USATT Rating: 2054

YEO CPen
FH: H3 NEO
BH: Express Xplode
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 9:21am
Hi best99,

first of all, I don't think that the JM is faster than the ALC or TBS, Butterfly gives wrong ratings here (all with T05 2.1 rubbers). They are in the same range and the main difference is the dwell time and the feeling.

The ALC is more direct than the JM and has less dwell time, but still feels a bit softer. The JM has more catapult and flex, and I would not call the blade hard (maybe due to its flex), at least not in comparison to a PC (I don't have one, but played some balls with the PC of a friend).

Both blades offer a good control. The ALC has a bit a larger sweet spot, but I personally prefer the JM (clearer signal of the ball impact).

Both blades can produce a lot of spin. The ALC because it is soft for a carbon blade and the JM because it has so much dwell time. The amount of spin you can produce with these blades depends on your technique.
For me personally, I would say in general I produce more spin with the JM because the ball dwells longer, but I would say that it is easier to produce heavy spin on slow loops with the ALC, because the catapult effect is less intense.

All in all I personally prefer the JM over the ALC, in particular because it enhances the serve/return game in comparison to the ALC for me.

For more information, check:
http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29640&KW=
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 12:08pm
They both are very different blades. It is dependent on how you play and your prefferance on what you like or are looking for in a blade. I found the ALC much softer but surprisingly faster than the MJ. Some people say the MJ is faster than the ALC but in my expierience the ALC is faster.

Personally I prefer the MJ for it's harder feel and it just suits my game more.

I would suggest to borrow and try both at your local club before making your final decision
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Best99 Best99 wrote:

Hi guys, I am currently playing with a Primorac Carbon with 2 Tenergys 05 2.1 mm. In terms of feeling, I don't like that hard feel that my blade offers, so I am looking for a softer and maybe slower blade. I also want it to have more control and SPIN.
Looking for some info, I found out that both these blades offer more control and spin than my primorac carbon, but I don't really know which one I should buy.
Doing a short research, I discovered that the new Innerforce blades don't have the ALC version, and some people say that ZLC blades will replace old ALC blades, but I do not know if that's really true.
Do you know if that is gonna happen?
I am a 2 winged looper that loves to put the more spin to the ball I can. I can describe myself as a 3rd ball attacker that loves to top spin the boll whenever possible.
I have been playing for 5 years now, 3 times or 4 a week, 2.5 - 3 hours per practice (I say this so you can measure my level).
Which blade would you suggest me?
PS: what are the differences between ALC and ZLC blades? I know ALC has a softer feel, and maybe it is better for blocking, but which one is the best to spin the ball?
Cheers

have you considered viscaria? its an arylate carbon blade aswell and is pretty damn fast, most likely faster than all other alc blades... i play with 05 on fh and its spin it unbelivable and still very fast aswell while being slower than your PB for sure
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 2:55pm
People often refer to ratings of blades found on Martin Killpatrick's site butterflyonline.com.
Those are not Butterfly ratings but rather some made up by the reseller, and not really in-line with reality.

Official Butterfly ratings don't include "control", just speed and softness/dwell.

Here they are:
http://eshop.butterfly.co.jp/html/category/001/001/14/category14_0.html

According to those MJ is just tad faster and little bit more dwelly than TBS/ALC. TBS & ALC occupy exactly the same spot on the chart.
Most of the Arylate/Carbon blades are very-very close together on the chart.

typhoon1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhoon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 9:17pm
If you dont want to change rubber or find rubbers with a new blade that
other people are making a suggestion here, I think ALC is your answer.

If you want a more powerful blade that still meet your requirements,
MJ is your answer.

I tried ALC with T05 2.0 on FH and T64 on BH , and I have MJ with Genius Max on FH and Xiom Omega 3 2.0 on BH. All of the combination is good for
both side looper.
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by tsanyc tsanyc wrote:

ALC is a tad faster and better than TBS although eveyone keeps saying they are the same......... they are not the same imho.  ALC is not just a marketing tool imho, it is the best Arylate Carbon blade I've played so far by BTY....And I don't even work for BTY :)

I think I agree with tsanyc.  I played ALC with T05 and TBS with T05 for last couple days (drills & games) and IMO the ALC seems to be a better blade than TBS.  Better feel when looping, blocking, and even short games.

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 11:04pm
ThaiLe,

Thank you.

tsaTongue
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2010 at 2:15am
Reading all the above, I suppose that ALC and Mizutani Jun are both slower than Primorac Carbon, aren't they?
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic